Heart Rate Monitors

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Hoping one of you meatheads can answer this:

Looking at getting an ANT+ HRM. Is the protocol universal i.e. can brand 'X' chest monitor communicate with brand 'Y' receiver as long as they're both using the same protocol?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

:dedong:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Why don't you use an Iwatch or something...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
4zilch wrote:Hoping one of you meatheads can answer this:

Looking at getting an ANT+ HRM. Is the protocol universal i.e. can brand 'X' chest monitor communicate with brand 'Y' receiver as long as they're both using the same protocol?
ANT+ means it can communicate with anything ANT+.

Example: I have a Garmin HR strap and a Bontrager cycling computer that reads what the strap says.
:like:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote::dedong:
:balls:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

maxtdi wrote:Why don't you use an Iwatch or something...
Through the skin HRM is iffy at best even on good units, and the iShitwatch is consististanly the worst of the smart watch HRM's.

That being said, based on my experience with the moto 360 sport so far (smart watch 1st fitness tracker 2nd) and my previous microsoft band (fitness 1st smart second) , the band was significantly better at HRM.

that said, smart watch life is nice.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
maxtdi wrote:Why don't you use an Iwatch or something...
Through the skin HRM is iffy at best even on good units, and the iShitwatch is consististanly the worst of the smart watch HRM's.

That being said, based on my experience with the moto 360 sport so far (smart watch 1st fitness tracker 2nd) and my previous microsoft band (fitness 1st smart second) , the band was significantly better at HRM.

Good to know. I'm definitely more interested in fitness tracker over a watch.

I really just want to monitor HR in real time as well as track workouts. I may dig into some of the Garmin offerings.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:

I really just want to monitor HR in real time as well as track workouts. I may dig into some of the Garmin offerings.
I use a polar bluetooth strap, works great. Way better than the wrist crap.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
4zilch wrote:

I use a polar bluetooth strap, works great. Way better than the wrist crap.
[user not found] wrote:Chest straps will always be more accurate than a wrist HR monitor.
After doing some reading last night, and for my needs, that's probably where I'm leaning.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote:Chest straps will always be more accurate than a wrist HR monitor.
dat. curious to see what you guys come up with. If i can add one and get the data to my phone or watch i might do that.

I finally got my watch to track my HR decently during a workout; moving it up my wrist a bit and tightening it did the trick.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Eyeballing this one. http://www.wareable.com/sport/wahoo-tickr-x-review It has Bluetooth and Ant+. Nice features and app. Doesn't require a phone to work.

Downside it doesn't integrate with my work optionally mandatory fitness tracker. (Mandated for cheaper health insurance premiums)

I don't need it to hit my work mandated goals, but it'd be nice because I'd likely hit goals sooner and that would mean money in my pocket sooner.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote:Eyeballing this one. http://www.wareable.com/sport/wahoo-tickr-x-review It has Bluetooth and Ant+. Nice features and app. Doesn't require a phone to work.

Downside it doesn't integrate with my work optionally mandatory fitness tracker. (Mandated for cheaper health insurance premiums)

I don't need it to hit my work mandated goals, but it'd be nice because I'd likely hit goals sooner and that would mean money in my pocket sooner.
whats your work fitness tracker? fitshit?
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
4zilch wrote:Eyeballing this one. http://www.wareable.com/sport/wahoo-tickr-x-review It has Bluetooth and Ant+. Nice features and app. Doesn't require a phone to work.

whats your work fitness tracker? fitshit?
Virgin Pulse is the program virginpulse.com. They give us a Virgin proprietary activity tracker (pedometer) as the program awards you on the number of steps you take in a day, I don't get the benefit as my fitness routine doesn't involve walking/running. The Company understands that and allows users to self enter activity (weightlifting, yoga, etc) for points, or they can upload activity from other fitness devices.

Reaching goals gets you $40/mo off of premium, company provided $600 to HSA, and up-to $200 in giftcards to use at your own discretion. The hoops are fairly easy to jump through, though its annoying to me because I know I'm more fit than the majority of people here, yet I have the same hoops to jump through as them for the same rewards. :bs:

Compatible devices and apps include:
Azumio
Fitbit
Garmin
Jawbone
Misfit
Moves
NuYu
Strava
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

I've always been happy with the garmin stuff
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

updates? my new watch is crap for HRM. Looking at straps.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:55 pm updates? my new watch is crap for HRM. Looking at straps.

ye ole :fap: tracker
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:31 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:55 pm updates? my new watch is crap for HRM. Looking at straps.

:gtfo:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:37 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:31 pm

:gtfo:
:hai:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007S ... UTF8&psc=1

These are at an all time low on the amazon, have good reviews. Just purchased a pair for the unit and I.
brain go brrrrrr