Sears sells Craftsman to Stanley/B&D for 900M

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote::ohdang:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/investi ... index.html
It's the end of an era for Sears. The struggling retailer is selling its iconic Craftsman brand to tool maker Stanley Black & Decker. But for those of you who still shop at Sears and love the Craftsman brand, fear not. Sears will continue to sell Craftsman tools in its stores. Sears will get $525 million from Stanley Black & Decker (SWK) once the deal closes, another $250 million at the end of the third year and a percentage of annual payments of new Craftsman sales for the next 15 years.

That brings the total value of the deal to about $900 million.
It is cash that Sears, which also owns Kmart, sorely needs. And Sears (SHLD) stock surged as much as 8% on the news before pulling back. Sears also announced plans to close 150 more of its struggling Kmart and flagship Sears stores. The company has reported declining sales for years. It has been bleeding red ink as a result.

Sears was once an icon of American retail. It was in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and lent its name to the famous tower in Chicago. But Sears was removed from the Dow in 1999 and that big building in the Windy City is now known as the Willis Tower.

Sears CEO Eddie Lampert was forced to deny bankruptcy rumors last year due to the company's massive debt load.
Sears first announced last May that it was considering the sale of its so-called KCD lineup of in-store brands -- Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard -- in an effort to raise cash.
The company said at that time it was looking at strategic alternatives for its Home Services installation and repair businesses as well.
Rumors of Stanley Black & Decker's interest in Craftsman first began to circulate last October.

In a statement Thursday, Stanley Black & Decker CEO James Loree said his company will increase the availability of Craftsman products through other retailers (brick and mortar and online) as well as through industrial partners.
Can't say I didn't see this coming.
Me too man, kind of a sad day :(
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, sucks.

I just hope they keep making the cordless tools since I'm invested in their ecosystem.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:sad:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What about the Kenmore brand?
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
[user not found] wrote::ohdang:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/05/investi ... index.html

Can't say I didn't see this coming.
:dat: :sad:
They were the fucking KING of mail order and retail for decades. My uncle worked at their corporate for something like 47 years before he retired.My and my brother's names are written on the last girder installed at the top of the Sears Tower (Chicagoans still call it the Sears Tower. We HATE the Willis name). Employees were allowed to sign their names and write stuff on it. So I got that going for me.
My house is full of Kenmore and Craftsman stuff. Always had good luck with both. And I used to use Diehard batteries in my Beetle and 'Rocco.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, classic American brands there.

Also, that's really cool about your name on a steel beam at the Sears Tower.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
They were the fucking KING of mail order and retail for decades. My uncle worked at their corporate for something like 47 years before he retired.My and my brother's names are written on the last girder installed at the top of the Sears Tower (Chicagoans still call it the Sears Tower. We HATE the Willis name). Employees were allowed to sign their names and write stuff on it. So I got that going for me.
My house is full of Kenmore and Craftsman stuff. Always had good luck with both. And I used to use Diehard batteries in my Beetle and 'Rocco.
:dat:

Sears should have become Amazon.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I worked for Sears for 3 years... I am glad I am out... there is major :disgust: and :derp: going on there... Eddie Lampert is doing some insane shit with the company that no one really understands even at the highest levels.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
That is really cool.

It will always be the Sears tower to me #CSTbros
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sears is a classic example of a company that didn't change with the times.

If wimmen went shopping and I was there, Sears was my go-to escape.
Dem toolz, so many home project possibilities.
wap

Melon wrote:Yeah, classic American brands there.

Also, that's really cool about your name on a steel beam at the Sears Tower.
Yea it was a cool thing to brag about when I was a kid.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm surprised it took this long.

And the :lolol:

"percentage of annual payments of new Craftsman sales for the next 15 years"

:lolol: like the company will even exist in 5. The next downturn will be the end. Black and Decker got a good deal as far as I can tell. The Crafstman brand is strong. If they don't fuck it up, that's a solid buy.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, if Craftsman tools go the way of B&D, where will I get my medium grade tools?
troyguitar

Melon wrote:So, if Craftsman tools go the way of B&D, where will I get my medium grade tools?
Amazon has a brand called TEKTON that I've had good luck with so far.
wap

troyguitar wrote:
wap wrote: :dat: :sad:

Exactly. Dat lack of visionary thinking :doe:

Remember Bell & Howell? They were once the king of 8 and Super8 mm home movie cameras and projectors. My mom used to work for them. In the late 70's they made the decision to NOT GO INTO HOME VIDEO. Their top brass didn't see a future in it and thought celluloid film in 3 minute and 20 second cartridges would always be the answer. :facepalm:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:
Melon wrote:So, if Craftsman tools go the way of B&D, where will I get my medium grade tools?
Amazon has a brand called TEKTON that I've had good luck with so far.
Lifetime warranty?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: :dat:

Exactly. Dat lack of visionary thinking :doe:

Remember Bell & Howell? They were once the king of 8 and Super8 mm home movie cameras and projectors. My mom used to work for them. In the late 70's they made the decision to NOT GO INTO HOME VIDEO. Their top brass didn't see a future in it and thought celluloid film in 3 minute and 20 second cartridges would always be the answer. :facepalm:
:member: Kodak? I :member:
troyguitar

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Amazon has a brand called TEKTON that I've had good luck with so far.
Lifetime warranty?
I don't think explicitly but they seem to have some good US-based CS people who will take care of issues. I haven't had to deal with them though.
wap

Melon wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Amazon has a brand called TEKTON that I've had good luck with so far.
Lifetime warranty?
Another good example. Rochester, NY is still feeling the effects of their demise.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote:
Melon wrote:
Lifetime warranty?
No, but cheap.

I've got a set of Tekton impact sockets that have fared well so far.
Not all of their stuff is cheap.
But, a lot of Tekton stuff looks identical to Craftsman things I've bought, same blow-molded case and all.
max225

Melon wrote:Sears is a classic example of a company that didn't change with the times.

If wimmen went shopping and I was there, Sears was my go-to escape.
Dem toolz, so many home project possibilities.
No it is a prime example of when a Private equity firms buys you out for your real estate and then milks you to death and picks you apart piece by piece.

Also shows you that amazon will kill all of retail eventually...

There is no money in retail. I spent 10 years of my career in finance orgs of fortune 50 retailers...
max225

troyguitar wrote:
wap wrote: :dat: :sad:

Amazon hasn't made money in retail for as long as they have been in business... they are held to a different standard (Ie don't have to deliver any kind of bottom end and sell at a loss 24/7) and have no retail outlets that bleed cash since ppl just buy everything online.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Retail is dead.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote: :dat:

Amazon hasn't made money in retail for as long as they have been in business... they are held to a different standard (Ie don't have to deliver any kind of bottom end and sell at a loss 24/7) and have no retail outlets that bleed cash since ppl just buy everything online.
I meant that the Sears catalog should have become sears.com which sold everything online like Amazon.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote:Retail is dead.
Macy's closing 68 stores
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.