Another "Help me make up my mind" thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Why not have another thread right? As with most on DFD, when the :plac: hits it hits hard. The dealer where I bought my last 2 GTI's from is finally receiving a blue manual Golf R in about 2 weeks. Should be good news though right? Not really. Golf R prices have gone from $36k when I was looking last year to $40,380. I think the R is a great buy at $36k, not $40k.

The Smart Move: Do nothing and keep the Mk6 for another year. It currently has 56k miles on it and I just put $2k worth of maintenance into it. Also put new summer tires on back in April. All the major stuff seems to have been completed with the exception of my intake manifold. Surprisingly that has lasted but it's covered under the extended warranty so it will be a no cost repair. The car is also paid off. It SHOULD last me a year without any maintenance aside from oil changes but who knows with this car.
  • Water pump recall completed last year at 45k.
    Carbon cleaning done at 50k
    Timing chain tensioner and oil leaks fixed at 55k
Golf R: Do the R and trade the GTI. No negotiation as the price is MSRP. Going to be difficult getting my mods off the GTI due to the holidays though.

Keeping the Mk6 and waiting until next fall opens up these options.

Camaro SS: I test drove the Camaro SS over the summer and that was :jizz:. Only downside really is price but how low can the :dillerman: go?

Mustang GT: Mustang is still kinda meh even though its cheaper than the R and Camaro. I drove my cousin's 2014 recently and there are definitely issues shifting into 3rd when hustling the car. Yes, the S550 is all new but it's still the same MT-82 transmission.

Mk7.5: I really like the refreshed Mk7's that VW showed for 2018. Clubsport-like front bumper, bump in power to 242 although the current 220 is likely underrated anyway, virtual cockpit, and huge infotainment. Of course it's also cheaper to own and insure than the Camaro, Mustang, and R. I'm still not sure if the R is really worth the premium over a GTI.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Golf R. :plac:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

WRX
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:Why not have another thread right? As with most on DFD, when the :plac: hits it hits hard. The dealer where I bought my last 2 GTI's from is finally receiving a blue manual Golf R in about 2 weeks. Should be good news though right? Not really. Golf R prices have gone from $36k when I was looking last year to $40,380. I think the R is a great buy at $36k, not $40k.

The Smart Move: Do nothing and keep the Mk6 for another year. It currently has 56k miles on it and I just put $2k worth of maintenance into it. Also put new summer tires on back in April. All the major stuff seems to have been completed with the exception of my intake manifold. Surprisingly that has lasted but it's covered under the extended warranty so it will be a no cost repair. The car is also paid off. It SHOULD last me a year without any maintenance aside from oil changes but who knows with this car.
Golf R: Do the R and trade the GTI. No negotiation as the price is MSRP. Going to be difficult getting my mods off the GTI due to the holidays though.

Camaro SS: I test drove the Camaro SS over the summer and that was :jizz:. Only downside really is price but how low can the :dillerman: go?

Mustang GT: Mustang is still kinda meh even though its cheaper than the R and Camaro. I drove my cousin's 2014 recently and there are definitely issues shifting into 3rd when hustling the car. Yes, the S550 is all new but it's still the same MT-82 transmission.

Mk7.5: I really like the refreshed Mk7's that VW showed for 2018. Clubsport-like front bumper, bump in power to 242 although the current 220 is likely underrated anyway, virtual cockpit, and huge infotainment. Of course it's also cheaper to own and insure than the Camaro, Mustang, and R. I'm still not sure if the R is really worth the premium over a GTI.
1. Smart Move
2. Camaro SS 1LE. You can't get around the fact that the new Camaro chassis kicks ass, that this is a high performance car that will run circles around anything else on the list.
3. I love the Golf R, but as Max points out (correctly) time and time again, you get 95% of the R in the GTI. MSRP is for chumps and VWphiles like Ron.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dude the golf R is nearly $10,000 more than a comparable GTI. Think long and hard if that is worth it to you... I personally wouldn't spend 44k after tax on a car that starts at 17000 and no one would be able to tell apart.

Mustang/Camaro... meh... I'd roll in the egg for another year and pick one of those up for cheap. GM/Ford can't sell those for shit.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:poorvette:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

FoRS
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote:Golf R. :plac:
I'll definitely check it out when it shows up at the diller. And my GTI is stage 2 so power wise it's down about 30hp but also about 2-300 pounds lighter.
Melon wrote:WRX
Subarus don't really do it for me. I guess I should do my due diligence and check one out as I've never driven one.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

S3
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:poorvette:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I would Focus RS at MSRP over Golf R, especially now they're available at MSRP with marginal work.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: 1. Smart Move
2. Camaro SS 1LE. You can't get around the fact that the new Camaro chassis kicks ass, that this is a high performance car that will run circles around anything else on the list.
3. I love the Golf R, but as Max points out (correctly) time and time again, you get 95% of the R in the GTI. MSRP is for chumps and VWphiles like Ron.
I love the SS 1LE. I think they just started deliveries on them so who knows if they'd be willing to dill. Waiting a year would definitely be beneficial for a Camaro. I just wish the 1SS came with more standard equipment. Ass heaters would be huge for winter. Browsing inventory around here it's either a 1SS or a loaded 2SS which approaches $50k. :nope:
maxtdi wrote:Dude the golf R is nearly $10,000 more than a comparable GTI. Think long and hard if that is worth it to you... I personally wouldn't spend 44k after tax on a car that starts at 17000 and no one would be able to tell apart.

Mustang/Camaro... meh... I'd roll in the egg for another year and pick one of those up for cheap. GM/Ford can't sell those for shit.
Yeah. I love the R but $10k is huge. I really do like the Mk7.5 refresh for the GTI though.
4zilch wrote:FoRS
They were still going for over MSRP last I checked. And I thought the recarbros in the ST were very uncomfortable when I sat in them at the car show.
Apex wrote:S3
No :manuel:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

TOYOTA COROLLA
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Gberg2119 wrote:
4zilch wrote:FoRS
They were still going for over MSRP last I checked. And I thought the recarbros in the ST were very uncomfortable when I sat in them at the car show.
Now the 2017 allocations are open, some bigger dealers are sitting on 2-3 open allocations that aren't taken.

I bought a set of Recaro's for my FoST after the fact. As long as you're sub-220lbs they're damn good seats, they do need a solid month or two to break in but they are pretty comfortable seats, only bested by my FRS.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote:Why not have another thread right? As with most on DFD, when the :plac: hits it hits hard. The dealer where I bought my last 2 GTI's from is finally receiving a blue manual Golf R in about 2 weeks. Should be good news though right? Not really. Golf R prices have gone from $36k when I was looking last year to $40,380. I think the R is a great buy at $36k, not $40k.

1. Smart Move
:notsure:
I've only bought 3 new VW's and I've never paid MSRP for any of them.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Option 1. Uncertainty with a new untested twitter expert and Supreme Leader and the Fed will be raising rates. No debt and how much power do you need to do 72mph on cruise. Id have a GTi any day over the R. Its a dickflex not an actual major improvement given the price delta. Its still a Golf. No thanks for the other 2 for the same reasons. Id wait and keep your cash in the bank and enjoy the maintenance you just completed. Sounds like you have a good, fun reliable GTi. Why trade out.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:TOYOTA COROLLA
YOU DON'T OWN ME
fledonfoot wrote:
Now the 2017 allocations are open, some bigger dealers are sitting on 2-3 open allocations that aren't taken.

I bought a set of Recaro's for my FoST after the fact. As long as you're sub-220lbs they're damn good seats, they do need a solid month or two to break in but they are pretty comfortable seats, only bested by my FRS.
I'm about 6'3" 230. Farah in his review also said the seats did break in. Reliability of course is still a big question mark with them.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
1. Smart Move
Fair point, Ron, you're a cheap bastard no question. I'm just saying there are few VW guys out there who are ZOMG "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" and will pay stupid markups because VW is the best car in the world. And you're a VW slut, having even owned air cooled models back when you were a partying, poon slaying seed spreader.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

wap wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
1. Smart Move
How many golf Rs did you get ?!

We're talking a super limited production balls deep enthusiast model.

That's like comparing a focus rs to a F150 one of those will have 10k on the hood. The other you can't test drive
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Davestr wrote:Option 1. Uncertainty with a new untested twitter expert and Supreme Leader and the Fed will be raising rates. No debt and how much power do you need to do 72mph on cruise. Id have a GTi any day over the R. Its a dickflex not an actual major improvement given the price delta. Its still a Golf. No thanks for the other 2 for the same reasons. Id wait and keep your cash in the bank and enjoy the maintenance you just completed. Sounds like you have a good, fun reliable GTi. Why trade out.
Makes sense. :like:
maxtdi wrote:
wap wrote: :notsure:

That's like comparing a focus rs to a F150 one of those will have 10k on the hood. The other you can't test drive
Exactly. Of the 8 or so dillers I talked to last year they were all MSRP except one that wanted the $10k markup.

I also found an Estoril blue M235i on Carmax that I thought was too good to be true and it was. [user not found] looked it up and it had a ton of issues with only 19k on it. Now I know why it was at a carmax. A huge :nope:
wap

Desertbreh wrote:
Fair point, Ron, you're a cheap bastard no question. I'm just saying there are few VW guys out there who are ZOMG "RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR" and will pay stupid markups because VW is the best car in the world. And you're a VW slut, having even owned air cooled models back when you were a partying, poon slaying seed spreader.
I highly recommend every gear head own and, ideally, build/mod, an air cooled car, whether it's a VW, Porsche, or Corvair, at least once.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Out of that list.... get a Mustang/Camaro. They'll deal on them since the supply is so massive at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if negotiations started with $6k on the hood of a 2SS.

To hell with the GoRf. Just keep the GTI in that case.
wap

maxtdi wrote:

R's? None. But I bought the R equivalent of it's day, a new 16V Scirocco back in 1986. At the time it was VW's quickest, most powerful, fastest car they'd ever sold in the US, able to run with (NA) 944's, Camaro's/Firebirds, Mustangs, etc.
wap

Mind you, that has as much to do with the shitty Murican V8's at the time as anything else. :lol:
max225

wap wrote:
maxtdi wrote: How many golf Rs did you get ?!

R's? None. But I bought the R equivalent of it's day, a new 16V Scirocco back in 1986. At the time it was VW's quickest, most powerful, fastest car they'd ever sold in the US, able to run with (NA) 944's, Camaro's/Firebirds, Mustangs, etc.
Sounds like you're only a time machine away from a good deal then.

Car sales have a lot of variables and blanket statements don't exactly work :bruh:

In this case... Golf R is MSRP only maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe 500-1500 off.. If you can find a desperate dealer or if they accept VW loyalty. Golf GTI on the other hand... $5000 is easy... Johnny was posting some nutty 7500 off also.

:mindblown:

Take or or leave it. Golf R is rare... German built and enthusiast spec, it isn't a volume model and it won't be priced as such.