Turn Signals Optional: Gberg’s M3

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:58 pm Time to unplug that soundaktor :mk6: style
I mean, I had to do the same in my 86 :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think in the :mk6: I actually wound up plugging it back in as it was better.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:04 pm I think in the :mk6: I actually wound up plugging it back in as it was better.
It WAS better, but I could never bring myself to plug the vibrating puck back in.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:20 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:25 am

Well it's still "real" in a sense that it's combustion within the exhaust during decell, but modern efficiency took the natural burbles away long ago. I do kinda miss it in my car. When I went from H-pipe to the x-pipe it almost completely eliminated them.

Edit: wait does "active sound design" mean the engine noise coming from the speakers? If so do the burbles inside match what's happening outside?
Yeah, active sound design is apparently all speaker stuff. I have no idea what startup, downshift, and upshift sounds are. Assuming load sound is trying to mimic induction noise.

If I throw it in sport or sport plus and rev at a standstill, it does burble a little bit which is why I thought it was real when I'd hear it while driving.

As far as H vs X-pipe, it looks like most midpipes for the G80 use an X-pipe. I think I've seen one use an H but I don't remember which one it was. Regardless, I'm planning on the AA equal length. The car definitely needs it.
Your car is still going to make the pops and burbles outside, so it sounds like they might just be amplifying them for you inside. Could be fun to drive with it on and off to see how accurate it is to the tailpipe sounds.

Definitely go equal length. I can't wait for that.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I definitely unplugged my soundaktor on the :mk6: but I don’t remember if it was when I did my intake for more whoosh noises or my turboback exhaust. It definitely didn’t need it once the exhaust was on.

I’ll try messing with it but if I already think it’s too quiet with all this shit active, odds are I’ll turn it all back on. At least until I get the midpipes.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

With just over 1500 miles on the car I took it on it's longest trip to north jersey. About 60-ish miles each way with a mix of highway and backroads where I had the chance to let it loose a bit. On both trips the car returned 23 empeegee which is :notbad: .

On the backroad bits, the car is just ridiculous. It doesn't stop pulling past 90 and kind of encourages you to drive like an asshole. I can only imagine what the competition is like. It must be :ludacris: . Even :tits: was like "I understand why you wanted to buy this car" after hearing the wail of the straight six. :muah:

I still want to do the CDV delete but the issue is probably finding a shop that knows how and is willing to do it. Yes it could accelerate clutch wear but so would any CDV delete including the ones I did on my R's. Been driving :manuel: coming up on 20 years now. I'm not sure it'd be an issue.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Pirelli AS plus 3 tars ordered for the Rage4. I looked over the OE michelins again and they're dry rotting pretty bad. It's even happening on the sidewall which is a big :nope:

Doesn't look like I could go wrong with either these or the Conti LX25's but the pirelli's seem to be pretty popular for cuv's.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 pm Pirelli AS plus 3 tars ordered for the Rage4. I looked over the OE michelins again and they're dry rotting pretty bad. It's even happening on the sidewall which is a big :nope:

Doesn't look like I could go wrong with either these or the Conti LX25's but the pirelli's seem to be pretty popular for cuv's.
I'm with you, Michelin is just a very overrated brand IMO.

The ones on the 86 have been aight but I've never been too impressed with other sets.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:18 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:08 pm Pirelli AS plus 3 tars ordered for the Rage4. I looked over the OE michelins again and they're dry rotting pretty bad. It's even happening on the sidewall which is a big :nope:

I'm with you, Michelin is just a very overrated brand IMO.

The ones on the 86 have been aight but I've never been too impressed with other sets.
I'm kind of mixed on michelin. I've generally liked their performance tires but I don't think the price premium is worth it for a car like the Rav4. It's got Primacy A/S on it right now and while I did get 42k mile out of them, they're $285 a tire and have pretty lousy user ratings on tire rack. The pirellis are $243 and conti's would've been $233. I just didn't expect them to dry rot this bad.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:18 pm I'm with you, Michelin is just a very overrated brand IMO.

I loved the AS3+ tires I had on the MK7. Quiet, good grip for a no-season, and really good steering feel compared to something like a DWS with super squishy sidewalls.

The ones on the 86 are meh. They're super loud IMO, and maybe it's more suspension than tires but I still think this car rides like garbage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:18 pm I'm with you, Michelin is just a very overrated brand IMO.

I loved the AS3+ tires I had on the MK7. Quiet, good grip for a no-season, and really good steering feel compared to something like a DWS with super squishy sidewalls.

The ones on the 86 are meh. They're super loud IMO, and maybe it's more suspension than tires but I still think this car rides like garbage.
Yeah the ride isn't great :lolol:

If you lower tire pressures to like 32 it's significantly improved. I think the shocks are just cheap though, I bet with a nice set of Bilsteins it would ride fine.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 pm

If you lower tire pressures to like 32 it's significantly improved. I think the shocks are just cheap though, I bet with a nice set of Bilsteins it would ride fine.
What’s the factory recommended pressure?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:18 pm

What’s the factory recommended pressure?
35 PSI.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I had AS3+ on the GoRf and really liked them. They felt nearly identical to the super sports with just a bit less grip.

Doesn't the 86 have regular PS4 and not the PS4S? Not sure if there's a big difference between the two.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:55 pm

I had AS3+ on the GoRf and really liked them. They felt nearly identical to the super sports with just a bit less grip.

Doesn't the 86 have regular PS4 and not the PS4S? Not sure if there's a big difference between the two.
Yes, there is a big difference. They just have the regular, boring PS4.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I was a fan of Hankook Ventus V12 or whatever those were back then on my GTI. I’ll probably look into something similar whenever the Mini needs new tires.