Turn Signals Optional: Gberg’s M3

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:56 am

What a dumb company. They are slowly steering the titanic towards the iceberg. They have so much greatness in their history and continue to slowly chip away at all of it. You were probably right on the money with your M3 purchase (last manual, last RWD, etc). I'm just glad they still offer what I see as what's truly an M3, :neat: to have one on the forum. Drive modes are a very :butwhy: thing not to include, but BMW will BMW.
It's :fullretard: . I think mercedes is headed down the same path too. They're turning their interiors into cheap clubs.

At least I don't have to worry about heated seat subscriptions
The Armenian back alley night club vibe of the current Benz products is awful.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So now that you’ve lived with it for a while. How is the shifter? And does it auto rev match ?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 pm So now that you’ve lived with it for a while. How is the shifter? And does it auto rev match ?
Shifter is about the same. There's still zero effort on throws but maybe it's gotten a little notchier. :iono:

It does have auto rev match and it seems to work well. There's no hard button to turn it off but it can be enabled/disabled in any drive mode as part of the settings.

I made an appointment with the "genius" for saturday as I still have some questions and maybe there's some stuff he can show me that I don't know about.

Tint scheduled for next week along with taking it back to the ppf guy to put the sidemarkers in.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 pm So now that you’ve lived with it for a while. How is the shifter? And does it auto rev match ?
Shifter is about the same. There's still zero effort on throws but maybe it's gotten a little notchier. :iono:

It does have auto rev match and it seems to work well. There's no hard button to turn it off but it can be enabled/disabled in any drive mode as part of the settings.

I made an appointment with the "genius" for saturday as I still have some questions and maybe there's some stuff he can show me that I don't know about.

Tint scheduled for next week along with taking it back to the ppf guy to put the sidemarkers in.
What kind of questions?

I still have received exactly 0 fucks/calls from any genius. And this thing is a supercomputer
Last edited by max225 on Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:21 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm

What kind of questions?

I still haven’t gotten exactly 0 fucks from any genius. And this thing is a supercomputer
Just some idrive configurability things. Like why does the odometer show only when looking at the trip computer? Other stuff too but it can't hurt to see if the genius has any tips and tricks for how to use it. I also picked up the trunk liner from them last week.

Still :notsure: on the brake clips :triggered:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:52 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:21 pm

What kind of questions?

I still haven’t gotten exactly 0 fucks from any genius. And this thing is a supercomputer
Just some idrive configurability things. Like why does the odometer show only when looking at the trip computer? Other stuff too but it can't hurt to see if the genius has any tips and tricks for how to use it. I also picked up the trunk liner from them last week.

Yep. Odometer is hidden unless you’re in trip. No fking idea why. On both the I4 and IX which technically have different “dash” designs.

My :triggered: thing is that the rear climate control keeps resetting to 72F and fan speed low. No matter what I do … I tried all different setting but it seems to have a mind of its own. I tend to never use any heat in the car and it’s fucking annoying as hell

I also don’t understand why on fan speed 1 and sync on the fan is quiet but if sync is off the fan speed sounds like 3 even though both sides are set to 1. (Both my cars were doing that).

I don’t know why bmw decided to make things so insanely customizable. The hvac system is just bad imo

The other really annoying thing is… the main map doesn’t show upcoming turns … you have to see it in dash or in HUD. Although idrive 8.5 added a little box you can technically mess with that shows some arrows.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:58 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Yep. Odometer is hidden unless you’re in trip. No fking idea why. On both the I4 and IX which technically have different “dash” designs.

My :triggered: thing is that the rear climate control keeps resetting to 72F and fan speed low. No matter what I do … I tried all different setting but it seems to have a mind of its own. I tend to never use any heat in the car and it’s fucking annoying as hell

I also don’t understand why on fan speed 1 and sync on the fan is quiet but if sync is off the fan speed sounds like 3 even though both sides are set to 1. (Both my cars were doing that).

I don’t know why bmw decided to make things so insanely customizable. The hvac system is just bad imo

The other really annoying thing is… the main map doesn’t show upcoming turns … you have to see it in dash or in HUD. Although idrive 8.5 added a little box you can technically mess with that shows some arrows.
The hidden odometer makes no sense. There’s so much wasted space at the bottom of the gauges. I think some of it is used on xdrive models but still, they couldn’t find a way to put the odometer on there?

I haven’t messed with the rear climate but I checked the box to sync it to the front.

Another thing about the climate control is why can’t I the heated/ventilated seats be used independently of the climate control? Wouldn’t be an issue with physical buttons…

Haven’t used the built in nav yet but I’ll try it this weekend when I go for the genius meeting.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:45 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:58 pm

The hidden odometer makes no sense. There’s so much wasted space at the bottom of the gauges. I think some of it is used on xdrive models but still, they couldn’t find a way to put the odometer on there?

I haven’t messed with the rear climate but I checked the box to sync it to the front.

Another thing about the climate control is why can’t I the heated/ventilated seats be used independently of the climate control? Wouldn’t be an issue with physical buttons…

Haven’t used the built in nav yet but I’ll try it this weekend when I go for the genius meeting.
8.5 allows for independent usage. So there is that I suppose… no physical buttons because reasons tho
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:47 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:45 pm

8.5 allows for independent usage. So there is that I suppose… no physical buttons because reasons tho
Interesting. It's one of my questions for the genius as maybe there's a way around it but right now they're greyed out until I turn on climate functions.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Met with the almighty bmw genius to get my questions answered and it was pretty much a no on everything but he'll be able to code my headlights to work like they do in europe so I've got that going for me. Unfortunately someone took his coder and he couldn't do it right then and there. :disappoint:

I also asked him what the deal was with the wireless charger. On ZF8 cars, the wireless charger is ahead of the cup holders and is a nice big open pad so it may not overheat as much. It also has an NFC chip so those cars get the active key thing. Because of packaging, the 6MT cars have the wireless charger moved to the center armrest where there's obviously no ventilation. No NFC chip either so no active key and the space in front of the cupholders is much smaller and oddly shaped. My phone will just be plugged in to the usb-c in the armrest.
  • Odometer only displays when looking at trip computer because reasons. Can't change it.
  • No idrive 8.5 for me
  • No heated/vented seats independent of climate control
  • No changing default startup settings. Car starts with everything in efficient mode. I just wanted to change the drive mode to sport.
  • eSIM is pointless like I thought it would be
  • No :fancy: siriusxm song start setting like the Rage4 has.
  • Heated side mirrors go on with rear defroster.
  • To turn off accessory mode just hold the power button on the radio for a few seconds. :derp:
  • I'm not the first person to complain about my clutch foot catching on a panel under the dash. I wonder if one of those clutch stops would help it?
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 am Met with the almighty bmw genius to get my questions answered and it was pretty much a no on everything but he'll be able to code my headlights to work like they do in europe so I've got that going for me. Unfortunately someone took his coder and he couldn't do it right then and there. :disappoint:

I also asked him what the deal was with the wireless charger. On ZF8 cars, the wireless charger is ahead of the cup holders and is a nice big open pad so it may not overheat as much. It also has an NFC chip so those cars get the active key thing. Because of packaging, the 6MT cars have the wireless charger moved to the center armrest where there's obviously no ventilation. No NFC chip either so no active key and the space in front of the cupholders is much smaller and oddly shaped. My phone will just be plugged in to the usb-c in the armrest.
  • Odometer only displays when looking at trip computer because reasons. Can't change it.
  • No idrive 8.5 for me
  • No changing default startup settings. Car starts with everything in efficient mode. I just wanted to change the drive mode to sport.
  • To turn off accessory mode just hold the power button on the radio for a few seconds. :derp:
  • I'm not the first person to complain about my clutch foot catching on a panel under the dash. I wonder if one of those clutch stops would help it?
Tractor tranny means hot wireless cell phone charging. What a time to be alive.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:21 am Met with the almighty bmw genius to get my questions answered and it was pretty much a no on everything but he'll be able to code my headlights to work like they do in europe so I've got that going for me. Unfortunately someone took his coder and he couldn't do it right then and there. :disappoint:

• No idrive 8.5 for me
:sad:

These mostly seem like minor gripes but hopefully they don't sour any thoughts on the car.

How's break in coming? I imagine a few pulls once you can go WOT will mitigate any :disappoint: in wireless charging.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:55 pm

• No idrive 8.5 for me

These mostly seem like minor gripes but hopefully they don't sour any thoughts on the car.

How's break in coming? I imagine a few pulls once you can go WOT will mitigate any :disappoint: in wireless charging.
Yeah, it's nothing major. I'm glad he'll be able to code my laser lights :doe: . That'll be really :neat: to see.

Break in is coming along but I'd definitely like to drive it more. I'm at just about 200 miles and the ramz are already coated in brake dust. Averaging 19.6 mpg though I assume that number will come up as the car has done a lot of idling at the :dillerman: .

I've got a couple bubbles in the ppf too. Hopefully the dude fixes it tomorrow.
max225

• No idrive 8.5 for me
Interesting. What's the Sirius thing?
The startup thing is annoying AF. My I4 would be able to start in sport, the IX for some reason starts in personal... and you can change it to start in anything but sport, which is the only mode I want. BMW does some :fullretard: programming at point. My :tits: noted that it's an "android" super customizable but not super polished and a lot of :butwhy: unlike tesla which is way more polished but you only get what they want you to get.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:55 pm

Yeah, it's nothing major. I'm glad he'll be able to code my laser lights :doe: . That'll be really :neat: to see.

Break in is coming along but I'd definitely like to drive it more. I'm at just about 200 miles and the ramz are already coated in brake dust. Averaging 19.6 mpg though I assume that number will come up as the car has done a lot of idling at the :dillerman: .

Yet another strike for that PPF dude who has "more business than he can handle"
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:28 am

• No idrive 8.5 for me
Tractor tranny means hot wireless cell phone charging. What a time to be alive.
:manuel: tranny in the Tacoma means no premium stereo and no keyless entry or remote start. :yikes:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:29 pm

• No idrive 8.5 for me
Interesting. What's the Sirius thing?
The startup thing is annoying AF. My I4 would be able to start in sport, the IX for some reason starts in personal... and you can change it to start in anything but sport, which is the only mode I want. BMW does some :fullretard: programming at point. My :tits: noted that it's an "android" super customizable but not super polished and a lot of :butwhy: unlike tesla which is way more polished but you only get what they want you to get.
About the only redeeming quality of the Rav4 is that when flipping through your sirius presets, it will always start the song that's currently playing from the beginning. And you can rewind backwards through your presets for as long as the car has been on. In the bmw you can only rewind while listening to the station.

As far as the startup, it's annoying but I still have the M1 and M2 buttons so it's not a big deal. I just haven't really messed with them yet.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:30 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:09 pm

I'm kind of thinking I should've gone to detailers domain. Or someplace else.

:tints: going on tomorrow and then I'm going to him after for the sidemarkers and bubbles. I mean, I'm pretty annoyed with the whole thing especially when he was trying to deflect about the sidemarkers.
Desertbreh

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:57 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:30 pm
I'm kind of thinking I should've gone to detailers domain. Or someplace else.

:tints: going on tomorrow and then I'm going to him after for the sidemarkers and bubbles. I mean, I'm pretty annoyed with the whole thing especially when he was trying to deflect about the sidemarkers.
Hopefully your car won't be totalled by the tint guys.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Heated/vented seats linked to the climate control is :fullretard:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:15 pm Heated/vented seats linked to the climate control is :fullretard:
I suppose BMW considers it "climite control"
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wait I just need to clarify before getting more worked up about this. Is the problem that the seat heat/ventilation is in the climate control menu only? Or does the car assume you also want the heat on when you turn on the heated seat?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:01 pm Wait I just need to clarify before getting more worked up about this. Is the problem that the seat heat/ventilation is in the climate control menu only? Or does the car assume you also want the heat on when you turn on the heated seat?
Good Q. I assumed his issue is that the climate control just needs to be "on" in order to work the seats. They can still function independently but the fan has to be running etc.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:01 pm Wait I just need to clarify before getting more worked up about this. Is the problem that the seat heat/ventilation is in the climate control menu only? Or does the car assume you also want the heat on when you turn on the heated seat?
Good Q. I assumed his issue is that the climate control just needs to be "on" in order to work the seats. They can still function independently but the fan has to be running etc.
:dat:

Fans have be running in order to work the seats. On milder days it’s just :fullretard: . I know for certain once spring hits I’ll want to drive windows down with :knot: cooler blowing. Not gonna happen. :disappoint:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Can you still do Bi-level HVAC?