General Economic chit chat/updates.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Sell house for max profit. Live in a cardboard box under a railroad bridge filthy rich. Winning at life.

Not going back to rental if I can help it, brah. Moving blows as does dealing with landlords.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I have no idea how student loan "forgiveness" can be equitably applied in a fashion that does not screw a lot of people, (not including Joe Taxpayer). As a guy who paid off 75 grand in student loans and is paying for my kid to go to college it is absolutely a political third rail for me. If you entered into a contract to repay something, then you should repay it, period. If it looks like it's too expensive and you won't be able to repay it, then you should stop right there, head down to Wal Mart and sign up to be a long haul trucker, free training and a six digit salary TO START. /bread.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 pm I have no idea how student loan "forgiveness" can be equitably applied in a fashion that does not screw a lot of people, (not including Joe Taxpayer). As a guy who paid off 75 grand in student loans and is paying for my kid to go to college it is absolutely a political third rail for me. If you entered into a contract to repay something, then you should repay it, period. If it looks like it's too expensive and you won't be able to repay it, then you should stop right there, head down to Wal Mart and sign up to be a long haul trucker, free training and a six digit salary TO START. /bread.
:notwrong:

We still need to add more practical education, including financial, to high school curriculum. Many aren’t lucky enough to have any kind of practical parenting happening at home.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I’m also totally fine with my tax dollars going to help an 18 year old learn how to be an electrician, carpenter, or something else practical at community college that can be learned fairly quickly and efficiently.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:11 pm I’m also totally fine with my tax dollars going to help an 18 year old learn how to be an electrician, carpenter, or something else practical at community college that can be learned fairly quickly and efficiently.
:dat:
I'd love to see community-type colleges set up that just teach the trades, along with requirements such as basic accounting, marketing/writing/communication (basically businessy-type stuff), etc, that would help the student to set up and run their own small business. And I'd gladly have that be "free" just like regular K-12 education. The benefits to society would make it totally worth it, IMO.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:32 pm Sell house for max profit. Live in a cardboard box under a railroad bridge filthy rich. Winning at life.

Not going back to rental if I can help it, brah. Moving blows as does dealing with landlords.
:sass: the point is to cash out and rent until prices come down and roll right back. I’ll keep updating this thread we shall see if my prediction is :wrong:

There is NOTHING great about owning a house. Renting is superior other than missing out on re gains which are done.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:39 pm I have no idea how student loan "forgiveness" can be equitably applied in a fashion that does not screw a lot of people, (not including Joe Taxpayer). As a guy who paid off 75 grand in student loans and is paying for my kid to go to college it is absolutely a political third rail for me. If you entered into a contract to repay something, then you should repay it, period. If it looks like it's too expensive and you won't be able to repay it, then you should stop right there, head down to Wal Mart and sign up to be a long haul trucker, free training and a six digit salary TO START. /bread.
Y’all are distracted. ppp audits need to happen. 10k is a joke compared the fraud that happened there. This at least goes to help whoever actually took the time to learn and not roll in a Bentley on your dime
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:54 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:16 pm

Ok... I'll address this.
*Pay in my area is WAY down... yes its highest in the country... but given the stock market moves in the last 9 months most have lost 30-40% of income
**Interest rates have driven the average payment up 40%
***average house price up 40%
**** average house payment from 2020 to 2022 has gone UP 100% with the above two compounding issues. My literal house is 12k a month to own... and its a POS from 1974... granted in a really nice town. I don't see WHO CAN AFFORD SUCH INSANITY.
*****our taxes are insane on higher income folks.. so even if you make say 300k 60% will go to taxes and the general COL is just non sustainable. This is the same everywhere really at the moment, and why I am so concerned about a correction
These are headwinds everywhere. I don't really see what's unique in your area that will be worse than others, other than a 20% drop on $1M is worse than $500k.

In fact, I'd still argue that your area is more sustainable than others. There's absolutely zero reason that houses should start at 500k where I am. There's no jobs, the weather is shit 6mos of the year, local business are still decimated by "employment shortages" so you can't really shop or go out whenever you want, there's zero logical reason for my area to be so expensive. This happened all over the country. I was shocked to look at zillow in some of the truly nowhere places we drove through Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, etc last week to find houses starting around $300k for crapboxes. These areas are gonna TANK because there's no fundamental reason for the prices to be so high.

You don't have those problems. Kind of like the car market where buying cars with traditionally high resale value makes the most sense right now to mitigate exposure to value crash risk. Your area has always been in high demand with high house values, and that didn't change in the last few years, so probably never will.
What unique is I’m in an area where profitable companies aren’t a thing … 75% of corps are cash flow negative here running on hopes and dreams. Coupled with epic fiscal tightening that’s a recipe for some major implosion.

There is nothing wrong with the rest of what you said but I’m really starting to feel like 2008 all over again. There are just way too many red flags.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:32 pm Sell house for max profit. Live in a cardboard box under a railroad bridge filthy rich. Winning at life.

:sass: the point is to cash out and rent until prices come down and roll right back. I’ll keep updating this thread we shall see if my prediction is :wrong:

There is NOTHING great about owning a house. Renting is superior other than missing out on re gains which are done.
We are renting a house right now and seem to be aligning with the view that renting until we “settle down” might be the best move especially in this market. Dealing with a huge down payment, HOA’s, prop taxes, remodeling/repairs/renovations is not sexy to us at this point in our lives.

We don’t even know whether we are gonna be in San Antonio for the long haul.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh

Yeah dude you are clearly not a :pinshit: man
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:05 pm
Y’all are distracted. ppp audits need to happen. 10k is a joke compared the fraud that happened there. This at least goes to help whoever actually took the time to learn and not roll in a Bentley on your dime
Can't disagree with that.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Can I go sign up for college and get this bread?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:51 am Can I go sign up for college and get this bread?
Yea you go to a college then end up being a failure needing a hand out.

Literally :whocares: about this college loan shit. Most people who have loans have 6 figures or close to it … this is a spit in the bucket.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:06 pm

We are renting a house right now and seem to be aligning with the view that renting until we “settle down” might be the best move especially in this market. Dealing with a huge down payment, HOA’s, prop taxes, remodeling/repairs/renovations is not sexy to us at this point in our lives.

We don’t even know whether we are gonna be in San Antonio for the long haul.
You guys should be in zero rush to buy. IIRC, you've got a great place for a solid price, and that's a good thing to ride out what's coming. Especially as your family figures out what/where works best, just keep doing what you're doing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:54 pm
These are headwinds everywhere. I don't really see what's unique in your area that will be worse than others, other than a 20% drop on $1M is worse than $500k.

In fact, I'd still argue that your area is more sustainable than others. There's absolutely zero reason that houses should start at 500k where I am. There's no jobs, the weather is shit 6mos of the year, local business are still decimated by "employment shortages" so you can't really shop or go out whenever you want, there's zero logical reason for my area to be so expensive. This happened all over the country. I was shocked to look at zillow in some of the truly nowhere places we drove through Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, etc last week to find houses starting around $300k for crapboxes. These areas are gonna TANK because there's no fundamental reason for the prices to be so high.

You don't have those problems. Kind of like the car market where buying cars with traditionally high resale value makes the most sense right now to mitigate exposure to value crash risk. Your area has always been in high demand with high house values, and that didn't change in the last few years, so probably never will.
What unique is I’m in an area where profitable companies aren’t a thing … 75% of corps are cash flow negative here running on hopes and dreams. Coupled with epic fiscal tightening that’s a recipe for some major implosion.

There is nothing wrong with the rest of what you said but I’m really starting to feel like 2008 all over again. There are just way too many red flags.
Oh, interesting. It's been over a decade since tech companies needed to actually make money to be successful, and the grow or die mindset might finally be done if things don't just keep growing forever with infinite demand.

Still, I think we're a far way off from 08.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

08 had unbridled real estate paper USA side. The downturn hit us too but we had appropriate banking policy and didn't see much of a real estate downturn. About same as what just happened now and then it stayed level for 2-3 yrs before it started climbing again.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

:bravo:

IDK if i addressed my feels on this on the board, but basically i could get behind some forgiveness if they did something to fix the underlying issues with rising costs.

They did not.
D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:10 pm

We still need to add more practical education, including financial, to high school curriculum. Many aren’t lucky enough to have any kind of practical parenting happening at home.

We have an overtraining epidemic in this country, especially in the white collar world.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Q - What did the Germans use to light their homes before candles?
A - Electricity

ALT: Inelastic demand, a pictorial.

ALT ALT: At least they can use the decay heat from the shut down nuclear plants for warmth, right?

ALT ALT ALT: I sure hope the germans are good at building fires (pun intended)

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 am Q - What did the Germans use to light their homes before candles?
A - Electricity

ALT ALT: At least they can use the decay heat from the shut down nuclear plants for warmth, right?

They have wind mills and solar panels, it'll be fine.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Tar wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:15 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:55 am Q - What did the Germans use to light their homes before candles?
A - Electricity

They have wind mills and solar panels, it'll be fine.
:popcorn:
max225

Whats a german power base? and :whocares:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Y'all see Britain's energy debacle??

https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/how-na ... approaches

£10k electricity bills to small restaurant owners causing instant closures! The Russia embargo is going to crush Europe at this rate. 🙈
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:23 pm Whats a german power base? and :whocares:
wholesale electricity futures. Like oil futures for electrons.
Tar wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:10 am Y'all see Britain's energy debacle??

£10k electricity bills to small restaurant owners causing instant closures! The Russia embargo is going to crush Europe at this rate. 🙈
Same fundamental issue I posted above. Winter is going to be VERY interesting for europe.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:32 am
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:23 pm Whats a german power base? and :whocares:
wholesale electricity futures. Like oil futures for electrons.
Tar wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:10 am Y'all see Britain's energy debacle??

Same fundamental issue I posted above. Winter is going to be VERY interesting for europe.
Natural gas moves a lot of energy very efficiently. Gotta make up those BTUs somehow. Going to be interesting for sure.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:32 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:32 am Winter is going to be VERY interesting for europe.
Natural gas moves a lot of energy very efficiently. Gotta make up those BTUs somehow. Going to be interesting for sure.
yup. and when you shut off your baseload coal and nuclear (in germany's case) and use NG as the stopgap for electrical power...assuming its just always going to come through the Russian pipe... and mandate heat pumps.... you are still at a ~25% loss in thermal efficiency before transmission losses vs just burning the NG for heat. (NB: combustion as a heat source is nearly 100% efficient, the best combined cycle NG plants are like 50%) Its like they've shot themselves in the foot 3 times.