Smol Truck Lyfe: Homeless Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This one probably seems like it comes out of nowhere. I've been looking for a 2nd vehicle for a while, wanting something cheap to tinker with that provided good utility for us. I originally set out to find a Tacoma and put all Murican vehicles in my rear view mirror, but with pricing insanity, I was striking out. We had a vacation to Denver planned to see a concert at Red Rocks, among other things, and I decided to look for trucks there on a whim. Trucks/vehicles don't tend to rust much in Denver due to the dry climate and minimal salt on the roads, so it could make sense to buy and drive home. Shit 20+ year old Tacomas were asking $15k plus, and just didn't make sense...then somehow a 2000 Chevrolet S10 ZR2 :manuel: popped up in my Tacoma search on Craigslist. It looked impossibly clean with 180k miles and a $6k asking price. With a week before arriving in Denver, I reached out to the poster. Dude was the 3rd owner, the truck was always in the mountains (good for no rust) and always maintained by the dealer. I told him I'd look at the truck and if it was what he claimed, I'd buy it on the spot.

The dude was a horrific communicator, which made me nervous. He did everything via e-mail and text, and would take half a day to respond...including when we arrived in Denver and I asked him where he wanted to meet. I actually wrote the truck off assuming he sold it until he texted me a day later that he was in Denver not far from us and he'd bring the truck to me. No risk, lets check it out.

He arrived, and the thing was :mindblown: clean. There's some tiny surface rust on the lower front passenger fender that I need to clean up and paint, but the rest looks like new. I'm not even sure it's ever been off-road, the underside of the cab is still blue (body) colored, connectors are wire colors are still visible, and all fasteners look new. There's like 2 dents on the entire body, the rest is straight and every removable body panel still has the factory VIN stickers (I didn't even know GM did that). The plastic exterior trim needs to be replaced due to fading and cracking like the wheel flares and front bumper piece, but those parts are cheap and easy to get. The headliner, carpet, seats, and door panels look great, just the dash is cracked, the steering wheel is worn, and the center console is loose (because a mounting point is cracked). I noticed it hesitated a bit in upper RPM, but it idled and ran well, had no lights on, braked really well, clutch felt great, didn't leak, the engine looked like new (no rust/dirt/gunk anywhere), and it was all OEM except for a K&N intake. A small oil leak from the remote oil filter lines was really the only concern. It seemed like a solid gamble for $6k. Not to mention, my first vehicle was a 1995 Sonoma Highrider :manuel: so I had a major soft spot for the thing. The blue paint looks :megusta: and the :manuel: is fun.

So I bought it.

The next day, we headed to the mountains, where it did fine but the hesitation in upper RPM was annoying. It was acting like something in the intake was gunked up (MAF, TB, etc), and since it had the K&N intake, I assumed the bro over-oiled the filter and clogged up the MAF (super common). So I bought a can of MAF cleaner at an OReiley in Leadville, CO (the highest incorporated city in CO), and took apart the intake. The FIRST THING I noticed was the MAF was on backwards. A lot of people don't know they're directional, but this one appeared to be new and had arrows all over it indicating airflow direction, so the dude just ignored it I guess. I cleaned it, installed it the right way, and it immediately ran better. I assumed it was fixed, and it was for 1k miles. We drove all over the Colorado mountains, up through Nebraska and into South Dakota. Drove the mountains around Mt Rushmore, then drove all the way through SD.

Just as we passed Sioux Falls (the end of SD) on Sunday afternoon, the truck lost power on the highway and died. I got it to the side of the road, and looked all over. It wouldn't start, but nothing was obviously wrong. It was Sunday in the middle of nowhere, I assumed I was screwed. It's never fun trying to figure things out on the side of the highway, so I called a towing place that was around the corner and a dude came out and got us. "Nothin's open" he said as we hopped up in the cab, "Watchu wanna do?" I asked if he knew of any garages that knew GM products well to which he said "Thats everywhere, but I know a place next to a nice hotel". Perfect, take us there.

The "nice" hotel was an Econolodge, which ended up being way nicer than we anticipated for some reason. The garage was closed until Monday, and so was everything else in the town. He rolls the truck off and I get in and just attempt to start it, and it starts! Perplexed, I put it in gear to take it around the block, and it died. Weird, but I guess not the worst sign. I ask the tow guy what I owed him and he asked if I had a hundred dollar bill. I did, gave it to him, and that was that.

I toyed with the truck a bit trying to diagnose the issue, and when fuel squirted out of the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, I was optimistic that the issue was electrical, which was all on top of the engine and easy to get to. I didn't have anything to diagnose spark condition at the coil or distributor, and being fried, we went for a nice walk along a corn field and turned in for the night. Monday morning, garage opened at 7:30, I was there sitting on the tailgate at 7:15. Owner drives up at 7:20 and greets me with a "uh oh, someone had a bad weekend". I laugh and explain what happened and he says "Well, unfortunately I got 2 mechanics out sick today, so I might not be able to get to it until tomorrow or Wednesday." I negotiate with "do you have anyone that knows these things that can just help me diagnose the problem, I'll fix it myself and I've already done some diagnosis." He just yelled into the garage "Hey Gary", and out emerged an OLD dude in spotless coveralls. They chat together and Gary walks over and says "I'll grab my fuel pressure gauge and spark tester". Excellent start.

He had the fuel pressure gauge on within a minute and cranked it over. 60psi of fuel pressure and it held, fuel pump was good PHEW.

Then he checks spark at the coil, I get in and crank for him, there's spark.

Then he checks spark at the distributor, I get in and crank, weak spark.

"Chinese garbage" he says. I ask him what and he said "I'll bet my week's salary it's the distributor cap, I replace these fuckers all the time. Chinese don't know how to make anything good." "Chinese?" I ask and he starts going on about AC Delco production of parts in China, shit quality, etc.

He takes the cap off, and inspects the distributor. He said "fucker looks new" but starts examining the distributor cap..."THERE!" he exclaims and points to a hairline crack on a mold line with rub marks. Looks under the hood, sees a metal vent tube for the transmission and says watch this. He put the bad cap back on, and called over a buddy to crank the engine over. "Watch where the cap is close to that tube" he said. Dude cranks the truck over, there's visible spark arching from the cap to the tube. He pushes the tube over to the side, dude cranks the truck over and it starts and runs.

It's 8am, we've been at it for 30 mins, and the problem is identified. "Earl just opened up and he has good parts. Go see him, he'll fix you up". "Earl?" I ask and he points to a barn across the street with an auto parts sign. I walk over, and inside the barn is the cleanest nicest organized auto parts store I've seen. Earl's standing there at the counter, and I tell him what I'm looking for. He just rolls his eyes and says the same "chinese garbage" that Gary said earlier, this is clearly something they've dealt with before. "I bought a bunch of these new old stock from the Murica days" Earl explains. "It'll be thirty five bucks". I gladly pay him, and walk back to the truck. Gary was off to work on other things, but graciously left me a ratchet with the right torx bit I needed to swap the cap. I knock that out in 5 minutes, fire up the truck and it purrs. I thank Gary, and go meet with the garage owner. He said it'll be $100 card or $90 cash. I give him $100 bill and tell him to give $10 to Gary for the exceptionally fast effort.

The entire ordeal cost $235 in towing, parts, and service, and $75 for the Econolodge room (a king suite, the nicest they had). All things considered, we got crazy lucky and the truck drove 700 miles yesterday without skipping a beat.

I plan on restoring the truck a bit just because I like it so much and it's so structurally sound. I'm going to hit up some junkyards for a new dash, steering wheel, and center console (if possible), and get the interior fixed up. Then I'll replace the fender flares, and a trim piece on top of the bumper that's borked. The window trim on the rear window is pretty sad, so I may replace that, and there's a seal on the rear driver suicide door that needs to be replaced. The wheels are also pretty toasted from the sun, so I'll try to find some at a junkyard, and the tires on it clearly weren't inflated properly for a while and wore weird, and will need to be replaced eventually (they're only 2 years old, so no rush really). I'll also address the oil filter line leak during the next oil change, then otherwise just drive it. It's just the right amount of tinkering that I'm looking for and it's way more fun than it has any right to be.

^^^Look closely at the rocks on the mountain above the hood^^^
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Great post! Thanks for the story, would read again!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Great pics ! And love the story... btw how did the :tits: handle the whole "left us stranded" part. That's the one part that I can't do with mine, she will likely never trust it again and get all :butwhy:

Any interior pics? Curious what it looks like as well. Tinkering is mostly fun as long as the issues that can be addressed are "bolt on" issues. Once it gets to complicated weekend projects things really go out the window. But it sounds like your :truk: is not one of those case and should be great to tinker with.

We're all going :scrooge: AF here and the entire American populous is paying MARKUP to the tune of what the truck is worth on a HONDA CIVIC.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Amazing story. You luck into some of the best car stores. You should write a book.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:08 pm Great pics ! And love the story... btw how did the :tits: handle the whole "left us stranded" part. That's the one part that I can't do with mine, she will likely never trust it again and get all :butwhy:

Any interior pics? Curious what it looks like as well. Tinkering is mostly fun as long as the issues that can be addressed are "bolt on" issues. Once it gets to complicated weekend projects things really go out the window. But it sounds like your :truk: is not one of those case and should be great to tinker with.

We're all going :scrooge: AF here and the entire American populous is paying MARKUP to the tune of what the truck is worth on a HONDA CIVIC.
:tits: and I have been struggling with mental health issues that we're working on solving both separately and together. We went on this trip with the perspective of "nothing bad can happen"...in the sense of, if something bad DOES happen, find the positive. She was amazingly calm when the truck died, and we kept level heads to problem solve. When we got it towed and were stranded, we took it as an opportunity to explore a place we'd otherwise never go to, and ended up having a fun time. We did discuss the possibility that the truck was FUBAR, and we made a few contingency plans just in case...including possibly buying the spotless 2015 reg cab short bed 5.3 Silverado the garage had out front for sale for $25k. We settled on if the S10 turned out to be an easy and reliable fix, we keep going, if it was a mess, figure something else out. She left it up to me to make the call for us. The truck ran SO WELL after the distributor cap change and Gary said almost everything looked new (I forgot to mention that he asked me if I'd sell it), that I went for it. Glad I did, I honestly really like the thing.

She actually TODAY after all the chaos, mentioned the idea of doing this again! She likes road trips and adventures and is willing to take the risk of failure for the reward of a big trip. Rust free trucks sell for a premium where we are, so buying trucks out west and bringing them back to drive then eventually sell could be a fun hobby. Making money wouldn't be the point, but the adventure is awesome. We both love the freedom to go and do whatever we please, and you can't really do that with a rental car. And since we're both remote, when plans get derailed like they did, it's not really a big deal since we can just work from whatever hotel has internet (all these days). I'm not quite as sold on the idea because the stars really need to align for the right vehicle. I was honestly expecting the S10 to not work out, it was just a pleasant surprise. Who knows though, it could be fun.

No interior photos, I'll take some once I get home and clean it up. I'll also take some photos of underneath. It looks like a California vehicle underneath, but it never left the Colorado mountains. Insane.

This isn't going to be a daily driver, I don't need a daily driver. The 4R will continue to be our primary vehicle, this thing will just be around to haul stuff (plants, construction stuff, etc), take camping, and drive if we both need to go to separate places at the same time (rarely). I don't intend to drive it in the winter, and it's purpose is to be a tinker machine. I don't see anything yet that can't be solved with a bolt-on fix, which was big for me. No body work, rust repair, or any fab work needed in any way. Replacing the dash will be a project, but it's not necessary, just for cosmetics. I'll only tackle projects when I want to, otherwise it's a solid running and driving truck and I'll keep it that way. No modz, I have a romantic idea of making it the nicest stock S10 ZR2 around. You never see them anymore, especially :manuel: s

The garage the truck was at was next to a Ferd :dillerman: They had 3 new F150's in stock, all XLTs and the cheapest was $62k. They had a huge lot that was empty, clearly they have no problem slinging $60k trucks in the middle of nowhere (way more remote and destitute than where we live). I had a $10k target for our second vehicle, and even that seemed like a lot. I just can't even remotely justify these crazy prices and markups. It helps that I'm not desperate for a vehicle, but buying new right now just doesn't pencil unless you really need something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

This is sweet. With everyone else lining up for Max’s Benz when he’s done with it, I’d gladly take this off your hands if you ever off it. Love these little old trucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:11 pm Amazing story. You luck into some of the best car stores. You should write a book.
I've lucked out over the years, no doubt. :tits: mentioned doing this more and documenting as :millennial: shiposters on IG/YT/Whatever. She thinks the car content combined with adventure content would appeal to a broad audience. I don't social media, so whatever but documenting the stories is fun. I lost my write-ups for the e30, 951, and K1500, those were solid.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:29 pm This is sweet. With everyone else lining up for Max’s Benz when he’s done with it, I’d gladly take this off your hands if you ever off it. Love these little old trucks.
Don't even mention that benzo big guy
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Will read the entire story when I'm home from work :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:29 pm This is sweet. With everyone else lining up for Max’s Benz when he’s done with it, I’d gladly take this off your hands if you ever off it. Love these little old trucks.
It is so little compared to other vehicles, it's hilarious. We were behind a Ford Maverick yesterday and it looked huge by comparison. :lolol:

Yet somehow, it has acres of headroom and doesn't feel cramped inside at all. It's cavernous compared to a 2000 Tacoma, for example. Glad to know there's a market on DFD, Dan expressed interest as well :lolol:

S10's had a hard life so there's none left. I don't remember the last time I saw a clean one. Any in a rust belt state are at least half returned to the earth by now, and any in dry areas were bought by teenagers and beat mercilessly to death. Then, the 4.3 can be finnicky, so they got scrapped at pretty high rates. Somehow, I found the one that was adult :waxer: owned its entire life and people cared about it.
SAWCE

Every S10 I saw in lancaster or SD had received the vato treatment and was slammed on huge :ramz: :disgust:

This reminds me of rolling around in the back of my buddy’s old Ranger, but even that would have been a little bigger than this IIRC.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:31 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:11 pm Amazing story. You luck into some of the best car stores. You should write a book.
I've lucked out over the years, no doubt. :tits: mentioned doing this more and documenting as :millennial: shiposters on IG/YT/Whatever. She thinks the car content combined with adventure content would appeal to a broad audience. I don't social media, so whatever but documenting the stories is fun. I lost my write-ups for the e30, 951, and K1500, those were solid.
eh fuck the free shitposting. Do a book, self publish on amazon. could be good therapeutic side gig for you. And hey, it might even take off. Youve got the writing skill and tell good stories.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:31 pm
eh fuck the free shitposting. Do a book, self publish on amazon. could be good therapeutic side gig for you. And hey, it might even take off. Youve got the writing skill and tell good stories.
Appreciate that! You're not the first person who suggested this. Could be great therapy, actually.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:46 pm Every S10 I saw in lancaster or SD had received the vato treatment and was slammed on huge :ramz: :disgust:

This reminds me of rolling around in the back of my buddy’s old Ranger, but even that would have been a little bigger than this IIRC.
Nah, Rangers and S10s are extremely similar in size.

S10's got popular as "mini trucks" slammed and whatnot. The ZR2 was ahead of its time, but never got the love because people were more interested in slamming small trucks back then. Which yep, is what happened to most of them. Then they got ignored and went to shit.

The ZR2 was a legit upgrade. It's a unique frame (fully boxed), it uses a shortened C/K1500 10 bolt rear axle with a limited slip "locker" (G80 in GM speak), that's wider than the standard S10 axle. The front suspension is all unique and beefed up/wider, it even had Bilstein shocks from the factory (which my truck has stock replacements, Bilstein must still make them?). The :manuel: trans is an NV3500 unit, the same GM put in C/K1500 trucks as standard. Mechanically, it's a shrunken Silverado, but the truck is light so it's pretty overbuilt.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:25 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:08 pm Great pics ! And love the story... btw how did the :tits: handle the whole "left us stranded" part. That's the one part that I can't do with mine, she will likely never trust it again and get all :butwhy:

:tits: and I have been struggling with mental health issues that we're working on solving both separately and together. We went on this trip with the perspective of "nothing bad can happen"...in the sense of, if something bad DOES happen, find the positive. She was amazingly calm when the truck died, and we kept level heads to problem solve. When we got it towed and were stranded, we took it as an opportunity to explore a place we'd otherwise never go to, and ended up having a fun time. We did discuss the possibility that the truck was FUBAR, and we made a few contingency plans just in case...including possibly buying the spotless 2015 reg cab short bed 5.3 Silverado the garage had out front for sale for $25k. We settled on if the S10 turned out to be an easy and reliable fix, we keep going, if it was a mess, figure something else out. She left it up to me to make the call for us. The truck ran SO WELL after the distributor cap change and Gary said almost everything looked new (I forgot to mention that he asked me if I'd sell it), that I went for it. Glad I did, I honestly really like the thing.

She actually TODAY after all the chaos, mentioned the idea of doing this again! She likes road trips and adventures and is willing to take the risk of failure for the reward of a big trip. Rust free trucks sell for a premium where we are, so buying trucks out west and bringing them back to drive then eventually sell could be a fun hobby. Making money wouldn't be the point, but the adventure is awesome. We both love the freedom to go and do whatever we please, and you can't really do that with a rental car. And since we're both remote, when plans get derailed like they did, it's not really a big deal since we can just work from whatever hotel has internet (all these days). I'm not quite as sold on the idea because the stars really need to align for the right vehicle. I was honestly expecting the S10 to not work out, it was just a pleasant surprise. Who knows though, it could be fun.

No interior photos, I'll take some once I get home and clean it up. I'll also take some photos of underneath. It looks like a California vehicle underneath, but it never left the Colorado mountains. Insane.

This isn't going to be a daily driver, I don't need a daily driver. The 4R will continue to be our primary vehicle, this thing will just be around to haul stuff (plants, construction stuff, etc), take camping, and drive if we both need to go to separate places at the same time (rarely). I don't intend to drive it in the winter, and it's purpose is to be a tinker machine. I don't see anything yet that can't be solved with a bolt-on fix, which was big for me. No body work, rust repair, or any fab work needed in any way. Replacing the dash will be a project, but it's not necessary, just for cosmetics. I'll only tackle projects when I want to, otherwise it's a solid running and driving truck and I'll keep it that way. No modz, I have a romantic idea of making it the nicest stock S10 ZR2 around. You never see them anymore, especially :manuel: s

The garage the truck was at was next to a Ferd :dillerman: They had 3 new F150's in stock, all XLTs and the cheapest was $62k. They had a huge lot that was empty, clearly they have no problem slinging $60k trucks in the middle of nowhere (way more remote and destitute than where we live). I had a $10k target for our second vehicle, and even that seemed like a lot. I just can't even remotely justify these crazy prices and markups. It helps that I'm not desperate for a vehicle, but buying new right now just doesn't pencil unless you really need something.
Just take this template and carryover that betch to the upcoming crisis coming soon to a place near you.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That's great to hear that you all were available to overcome the annoying adversity. I believe you had similar :alpo: luck when the trailer wheel came off the axle and you found some dude in the woods/back of gas station that pieced it back together for a fraction of the cost.

Love to see more pics yea i know weird. But it is interesting to me... I think we once again did the same thing a few states apart... I was also having no interest in buying an overpriced boring new vehicle vs something well cared for to "enjoy" with limited headaches and wrenching. You did with with the Truk and I did it with the benzo... I still want a Taco with a :manuel: but 55k OTD with paint protection can go suck a dick.

I truly enjoy having the nicest E350 around, most are beat to shit, and :mahtroy: 'ed with chrome ramz etc. I am trying to keep mine OEM. Hence me replacing the blower motor with OEM parts... and throwing OEM brakes on it next week. This thing doesn't have a single non Mercedes part on it other than the BT module I put in the glovebox. So far so good. I think you can and should do the same with the ZR2. I find it super enjoyable to have an all 100% oems machine... could be a fun time capsule. And that's enjoyable in its own right.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:08 pm

Just take this template and carryover that betch to the upcoming crisis coming soon to a place near you.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:17 pm

That's great to hear that you all were available to overcome the annoying adversity. I believe you had similar :alpo: luck when the trailer wheel came off the axle and you found some dude in the woods/back of gas station that pieced it back together for a fraction of the cost.

Love to see more pics yea i know weird. But it is interesting to me... I think we once again did the same thing a few states apart... I was also having no interest in buying an overpriced boring new vehicle vs something well cared for to "enjoy" with limited headaches and wrenching. You did with with the Truk and I did it with the benzo... I still want a Taco with a :manuel: but 55k OTD with paint protection can go suck a dick.

I truly enjoy having the nicest E350 around, most are beat to shit, and :mahtroy: 'ed with chrome ramz etc. I am trying to keep mine OEM. Hence me replacing the blower motor with OEM parts... and throwing OEM brakes on it next week. This thing doesn't have a single non Mercedes part on it other than the BT module I put in the glovebox. So far so good. I think you can and should do the same with the ZR2. I find it super enjoyable to have an all 100% oems machine... could be a fun time capsule. And that's enjoyable in its own right.
Oh yeah, the boat disaster... similar incredible experience. I do believe there's a blend of :alpo: and my approach. When in a stressful situation like that, I don't ask people to fix it, I ask for specific help so I can fix it myself. People seem to respond well to that approach, especially when I do get dirty and fix things myself. Derailing someone's day or work schedule with sob stories and pity parties isn't as effective as "I know you're busy, I just need a hand diagnosing this and I'll take it from there". Hard to say no.

My truck is nowhere near your benzo in condition, but it could get there someday. That's the goal at least, and it'll be a fun journey getting there. The only non GM thing on it is the K&N intake, which sounds good and solid quality, so I'll leave it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:37 pm
It is so little compared to other vehicles, it's hilarious. We were behind a Ford Maverick yesterday and it looked huge by comparison. :lolol:

Yet somehow, it has acres of headroom and doesn't feel cramped inside at all. It's cavernous compared to a 2000 Tacoma, for example. Glad to know there's a market on DFD, Dan expressed interest as well :lolol:

S10's had a hard life so there's none left. I don't remember the last time I saw a clean one. Any in a rust belt state are at least half returned to the earth by now, and any in dry areas were bought by teenagers and beat mercilessly to death. Then, the 4.3 can be finnicky, so they got scrapped at pretty high rates. Somehow, I found the one that was adult :waxer: owned its entire life and people cared about it.
And don't anybody forget it, I'm first in line for this nasty bitch!

Love this story and trip, sounds like a great time to bond with the wife and decompress.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:37 pm

Love this story and trip, sounds like a great time to bond with the wife and decompress.
Oh yeah!? I’ll deadlift you for it.

I’d say arm wrestle, but I’ve seen too many videos of forearms just snapping in half :yikes: I’ll never arms wrestle anybody again.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:25 pm

I’d say arm wrestle, but I’ve seen too many videos of forearms just snapping in half :yikes: I’ll never arms wrestle anybody again.
:nope:

I was first. Bike race or I'm out.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hi.

If you needed an idea for a YouTube channel, THIS IS FUCKING IT.

Travel to interesting places, buying interesting cars/trucks, taking interesting drives back home, documenting the adventures along the way, and then selling it.

You can literally monetize your content, and you can profit from the sale of the vehicle.

Fucking DO IT.

EDIT: saw that others suggested something. You were an auto journalist, correct? So, you make a BLOG and document the adventures, it'll be great therapy and positive energy for you to recollect the adventure and document it as you go along. :tits: can use her social media prowess to document it THAT way, and you might benefit from both fronts.

The best part? You don't NEED the clout/money, and the origins would be genuine and grassroots.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Hi.

If you needed an idea for a YouTube channel, THIS IS FUCKING IT.

Travel to interesting places, buying interesting cars/trucks, taking interesting drives back home, documenting the adventures along the way, and then selling it.

You can literally monetize your content, and you can profit from the sale of the vehicle.

Fucking DO IT.

EDIT: saw that others suggested something. You were an auto journalist, correct? So, you make a BLOG and document the adventures, it'll be great therapy and positive energy for you to recollect the adventure and document it as you go along. :tits: can use her social media prowess to document it THAT way, and you might benefit from both fronts.

The best part? You don't NEED the clout/money, and the origins would be genuine and grassroots.
:dat: It would be legitimate great content. That said, turning it into a video would turn it into work to a larger degree I think, you'd have to have cameras rolling, talk to them as an entertainer, always stay on while they're going, make the local interactions weird by filming them, edit the footage, etc. It would be a great channel though, would watch and/or read a blog version.

:tits: social media prowess would be a good way to market a blog or whatever.

That said, nothing wrong with just doing it for fun and not trying to get internet famous.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 pm Great post! Thanks for the story, would read again!
:dat:
So much :popcorn: to see how this thread progresses.
:gonbgud:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:28 pm

:nope:

I was first. Bike race or I'm out.
I’ll give it the old college try