Cars you wanted, but never purchased

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Curious... what car have you guys wanted, had the means to get, even maybe test drove... but never went for it? And why?

I wanted a Camaro SS 1LE pretty bad. In yellow. I had the means to purchase one and really wanted it. My friend at the time had a Mustang GT and every time I rode in that car I wanted a V8 muscle car. I wanted out of the GTI so badly, and this was the front runner. But I never actually followed through with it. There have been a few cars like this for me, but this is the one that sticks out the most in my mind.

I didn't go for it because, at the time, I didn't think I could afford it. A few years later I bought the STI which was pretty close to the same price as the 1LE had been.

I would have never tracked it, and it probably would have been a disaster living in Philly. But I still do think about this from time to time.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Great thread. At age 4X, the C6GS was a good buy and scratched some itches. I still admire widebody C6 cars but still wish I bought the Z06, I might still have it. Started looking at C7Z prices on Ebay. They are still retarded if you use C8 MSRP as your measuring stick, and I do. A C8 manual car might tip me over the edge.

I rented the Gen 2 Camaro SS recently and even at 50K miles and mismatched tires (but new tires), a ten speed and no 1LE........this was an exceptional chassis. Just lose the rear seat and lets not discuss the trunk opening.

Not sure how gen 2 1LE compares against the C7, but it has to be close.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, I wanted a brand new 944 Turbo but 0/'10 could not afford, spanking is not what this thread is about.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Shit, I had the opportunity to buy a 199x (1/2?) NSX with 99k kms for under 40k, but I was stretching my budget at the time and needed reliable transportation. I remember looking at it, silver on fairly beat up black leather seats, and knowing that I really should buy the car since it was already starting to climb in price. I declined and bought a one year old 2004 Acura TL which I gave to my mom after owning it for almost a decade. The TL didn't get driven that much because it was too nice for DD duty, so I still drove BEATR cars during shit weather seasons. The NSX is now worth $100K+ and the TL with it's loud engine knock is worth nothing.

I may want to pick up a new Japanese sports car offering, hoping the MR2 makes some miraculous comeback, but a GR86 or Z400 might be able to fill the JDM void if I'm ever in a cash surplus 'sitch. I'm thinking about chopping the rental place, so that would be my gift to myself.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

One owner 2003 Infiniti M45 for $300. I had just bought the S4 and couldn't sell it in time, and a 2019 loaded Chevy volt in metallic red for $12k off sticker. I couldn't afford the insurance on that one so I had to bail on the deal.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

There’s lots of them.

I really wanted an Xrunner when I got out of college, ended up with a original Colorado with the 5cyl 5spd. The Xrunner was just out of my price range, and I got the diller dad hookup on the Colorado.

I still lust a bit over 06/07 STi’s. I could only afford a WRX.

I still kinda want a Mercedes GLA AMG. Driven them twice now - fast and good noises, but damn they’re vague.

Passed on a bunch of 981 cayman/boxsters - I think the ship has sailed on those.

Now I’m pretty much :aintcare: about my next car - I suspect it’ll be a smol truk/suv thing.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I really wanted a 2012 Blurple WRX hatch, and :rage: left the dealer when they wouldn't let me drive it without a deposit. I still kind of wish I would have picked up that car, but got my MK6 instead and that's what got me here so :ohwell:

I also wish I had bought the JSB C6 GS I test drove before buying my C5. I might still have that car if I had.

I walked on a 996 back in the day for reasons, and I wish I could have scratched that itch. I think the ship has sailed on anything Porsche for me.

Had an opportunity to buy a Kinetic Blue 6th gen 1LE out of the marketing fleet at GM, but was balls deep in my C5 at the time and decided to focus on that. In hindsight, that would have been a good buy and it was one hell of a car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and I've been close to buying a MINI countless times now, and always end up bailing at the last minute for something else. I do hope to pull the trigger on one once prices get more reasonable. I've always wanted one, never had one.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:35 am I really wanted a 2012 Blurple WRX hatch, and :rage: left the dealer when they wouldn't let me drive it without a deposit. I still kind of wish I would have picked up that car, but got my MK6 instead and that's what got me here so :ohwell:

I also wish I had bought the JSB C6 GS I test drove before buying my C5. I might still have that car if I had.

I walked on a 996 back in the day for reasons, and I wish I could have scratched that itch. I think the ship has sailed on anything Porsche for me.

Had an opportunity to buy a Kinetic Blue 6th gen 1LE out of the marketing fleet at GM, but was balls deep in my C5 at the time and decided to focus on that. In hindsight, that would have been a good buy and it was one hell of a car.
That's the car I should have bought instead of my GTI for sure, but I had no regrets at the time. When I bought my GTI in late 2010 the 2011 WRXs were still impossible to get, and the leftover 2010s were the :flaccid: narrow body cars that nobody wanted. The kicker for me, though, was that I went to the Detroit auto show that summer and sat in one and thought the interior was complete garbage after I sat in the GTI. It was, but they're way better to drive, likely would have been more reliable, and for sure held onto its value better.

The only car I lust after that was ever really in my reach is a 2004-05 S2000. AP2, but last of the throttle cable cars. A few years ago I drove a 2005, sebring silver over red with something like 50k miles, and the :dillerman: was asking ~$25k IIRC. I wasn't in a position to buy a third car at the time, but had I found a way to do it it'd be worth $10k more than that now assuming I never put it into a wall. Now with 3 kids a 2-seater makes no sense and my window to own one has passed until the kids are older and can either fit in the front seat or don't want to go anywhere with dad anyway. :ohwell:

Hopefully the '86 shows up...eventually? :waiting:
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:44 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:35 am I really wanted a 2012 Blurple WRX hatch, and :rage: left the dealer when they wouldn't let me drive it without a deposit. I still kind of wish I would have picked up that car, but got my MK6 instead and that's what got me here so :ohwell:

That's the car I should have bought instead of my GTI for sure, but I had no regrets at the time. When I bought my GTI in late 2010 the 2011 WRXs were still impossible to get, and the leftover 2010s were the :flaccid: narrow body cars that nobody wanted. The kicker for me, though, was that I went to the Detroit auto show that summer and sat in one and thought the interior was complete garbage after I sat in the GTI. It was, but they're way better to drive, likely would have been more reliable, and for sure held onto its value better.

The only car I lust after that was ever really in my reach is a 2004-05 S2000. AP2, but last of the throttle cable cars. A few years ago I drove a 2005, sebring silver over red with something like 50k miles, and the :dillerman: was asking ~$25k IIRC. I wasn't in a position to buy a third car at the time, but had I found a way to do it it'd be worth $10k more than that now assuming I never put it into a wall. Now with 3 kids a 2-seater makes no sense and my window to own one has passed until the kids are older and can either fit in the front seat or don't want to go anywhere with dad anyway. :ohwell:

Hopefully the '86 shows up...eventually? :waiting:
I remember when the 2012 WRX came out in Southern California, dealers were actually discounting them. I don't know if the market got too many or what, but I went to the dealer to take a look at one that they told me was a few $k under MSRP. I also worked for a supplier and had some Subaru discount to apply too. Would have been a fantastic buy, but the dealer pissed me off and I found my MK6 on craigslist the next day, checked it out that night, and it was done. Indeed a much nicer interior, and it was cheaper because the dude just wanted out of his lease and the lease buy-out was pretty reasonable. :ohwell:

No ETA on the '86?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:51 am I remember when the 2012 WRX came out in Southern California, dealers were actually discounting them. I don't know if the market got too many or what, but I went to the dealer to take a look at one that they told me was a few $k under MSRP. I also worked for a supplier and had some Subaru discount to apply too. Would have been a fantastic buy, but the dealer pissed me off and I found my MK6 on craigslist the next day, checked it out that night, and it was done. Indeed a much nicer interior, and it was cheaper because the dude just wanted out of his lease and the lease buy-out was pretty reasonable. :ohwell:

No ETA on the '86?
Yeah, back then the WRXs weren't so :unicorn: status. I got nearly $2k off MSRP on my STi when I bought it in 2017 without issue. Different times.

Nothing firm on the '86, no. I got word last Friday that it's on a train from the west coast headed for Chicago. From there it'll head on a truck to Indiana. No actual details on timing, though.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:20 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:51 am I remember when the 2012 WRX came out in Southern California, dealers were actually discounting them. I don't know if the market got too many or what, but I went to the dealer to take a look at one that they told me was a few $k under MSRP. I also worked for a supplier and had some Subaru discount to apply too. Would have been a fantastic buy, but the dealer pissed me off and I found my MK6 on craigslist the next day, checked it out that night, and it was done. Indeed a much nicer interior, and it was cheaper because the dude just wanted out of his lease and the lease buy-out was pretty reasonable. :ohwell:

No ETA on the '86?
Yeah, back then the WRXs weren't so :unicorn: status. I got nearly $2k off MSRP on my STi when I bought it in 2017 without issue. Different times.

Nothing firm on the '86, no. I got word last Friday that it's on a train from the west coast headed for Chicago. From there it'll head on a truck to Indiana. No actual details on timing, though.
My 4R followed the same path. Once it left the port on the train, it came surprisingly fast. :popcorn:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:58 am My 4R followed the same path. Once it left the port on the train, it came surprisingly fast. :popcorn:
The waiting has somehow made me less interested in the thing. Maybe I've just realized the GTI is all the "fun" car I really need? I think the MK7 with a :tuna: and a couple other very minor things (PS4Ss, some Konis and springs...that's probably it), would totally suffice for me. But it's worth dumb money right now, and I can probably sell the '86 before fall for a nice profit too. :iono:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Interesting about the 2012 WRX. I remember test driving a 2010 and hated the interior but it was a fast fun car. Bought the GTI and a year later the wide body WRX came out. It made no sense in my head to switch after a year, the GTI was losing value quickly, and at that point at least I still really liked it.

It might have been a good car to get but the timing worked out such that I don’t consider it a missed opportunity for me.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

My car wants have always been fairly pedestrian and boring. :ohwell: I've always wanted a small wagon, so the 2nd gen Volvo V50 got some serious consideration when it came out but I had just gotten my Mk4 so that never happened. I didn't like them at the time, but now I think a Saabaru is pretty :neat: . A few years ago my :dillerman: had a Forest Green over tan Alltrack gathering dust on their lot, that was unfortunately gone shortly before fucking Stuart murdered my Mk6. I've also had in the back of my mind finding a project Karmann Ghia to build, based on the lessons I learned when I did my Beetle. Yeah, that's nahgonnahappen. When I was looking at my Blue Meanie I was also considering a 2018 SE GTI. It was the rare single year that you could get an SE with the :plaid: interior. It would have had the upgraded HU that I VERY much would have preferred, INCLUDING A FUCKING COMPASS :triggered: , CD player, AUX input, etc. I should have bought that instead. :|
I also kinda want a Stinger, but they're a bit too big for me. :rolleyes:

As I said, boring
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:50 am My car wants have always been fairly pedestrian and boring. :ohwell: I've always wanted a small wagon, so the 2nd gen Volvo V50 got some serious consideration when it came out but I had just gotten my Mk4 so that never happened. I didn't like them at the time, but now I think a Saabaru is pretty :neat: . A few years ago my :dillerman: had a Forest Green over tan Alltrack gathering dust on their lot, that was unfortunately gone shortly before fucking Stuart murdered my Mk6. I've also had in the back of my mind finding a project Karmann Ghia to build, based on the lessons I learned when I did my Beetle. Yeah, that's nahgonnahappen. When I was looking at my Blue Meanie I was also considering a 2018 SE GTI. It was the rare single year that you could get an SE with the :plaid: interior. It would have had the upgraded HU that I VERY much would have preferred, INCLUDING A FUCKING COMPASS :triggered: , CD player, AUX input, etc. I should have bought that instead. :|

As I said, boring
:dat:

I have the same regrets about not doing a 2018 SE with :plaid: I was afraid of the sunroof horror stories, which is why I sought out a 2017 Sport trim, but this was August of 2018 and I'm sure I could have found one. 2018, Great Falls Green, SE over :plaid: with ehsteek. That's the :unicorn: GTI to me.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 am Oh, and I've been close to buying a MINI countless times now, and always end up bailing at the last minute for something else. I do hope to pull the trigger on one once prices get more reasonable. I've always wanted one, never had one.
I was shopping for a Mini when I bought my MKVI. I’d still like to own one some day. Had talked to Max about buying his when he was considering selling it.. Maybe if he wants to sell again in the future that’ll be my move.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Instead of going for the mk7 GTI after the total loss of my mk6, I could've gotten an e92 335i, s550 mustang gt and so on. That was right before the gas prices dropped under $3 for the first time in a while. Which made me :sad:

Now I could've just went for a GLI, mazda 6, n55 335i's etc. almost got a b8 s4 manual at a used subaru dealer, they weren't willing to help me. But those are still another VW's, so they don't do much for me as it used to be since I've been driving them for almost a decade. For now I'm glad I have the accord. Its definitely not the most fun car on the planet nor remotely sporty, it just happens to be quick, suspension is right in between floaty and sporty. but feels quite solid. I could've waited for the new si, :ohwell:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:37 am Oh, and I've been close to buying a MINI countless times now, and always end up bailing at the last minute for something else. I do hope to pull the trigger on one once prices get more reasonable. I've always wanted one, never had one.
I was shopping for a Mini when I bought my MKVI. I’d still like to own one some day. Had talked to Max about buying his when he was considering selling it.. Maybe if he wants to sell again in the future that’ll be my move.
That ship sailed broham. He replaced it with the big dick electric car.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Great thread.

For me it was the 2008 Hatchback STI. I had it on my wishlist ever since it came out and I saw it at the car show. In late 08 the financial crisis hit and I was a complete CUCK about it so I didn't pull the trigger as 4.50 for gas was "expensive" at the time. They had $8000 on the hood here... 8k... those cars NEVER lost money since they came to market. And other than those shitbox engines that need a rebuild every 60-90k miles they are great vehicles. IMO. Still WANT ONE to this day in WR Blue. With GOLD wheels. I would exactly 0 mods, same wheels, same tires, same factory tune and same oil. FUCK MODS these cars are modded by the factory for perfection.

Other than that I always wanted a 2004 E46 M3 in Mystic Blue it was my dream car since I graduated college... I was able to actually CHEAP out and get a 2001 with full service records and rod bearings done etc.... and frankly I HATED that car. It was a huge case of never meet your hero's. I know everyone and their mom is circle jerking to the E46 right now.... as the "last analog bmw" but I have VERY strong opinions on that car. It is still however IMO one of the most beautiful bmws ever made.

Another car I always wanted... and Almost got was 2013-16 Viper GTS. We had one here for sale locally... 18k miles... for 79k... I COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT... but I was too cheap... didn't think I'd have a good use for the car. Now the same cars are trading for 120-150k which is insane.. as it is ABOVE sticker almost 10 years ago. Even though vipers have the whole "successful tattoo shop owner dude who roids" vibes... i still love em. They are amazing 2-3k miles a year vehicles that will likely never lose a dime. V10... MURICA... RELIABLE... CHEAP TO RUN... what more can you WANT?

KTHNXBI
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:12 pm Curious... what car have you guys wanted, had the means to get, even maybe test drove... but never went for it? And why?

I wanted a Camaro SS 1LE pretty bad. In yellow. I had the means to purchase one and really wanted it. My friend at the time had a Mustang GT and every time I rode in that car I wanted a V8 muscle car. I wanted out of the GTI so badly, and this was the front runner. But I never actually followed through with it. There have been a few cars like this for me, but this is the one that sticks out the most in my mind.

I didn't go for it because, at the time, I didn't think I could afford it. A few years later I bought the STI which was pretty close to the same price as the 1LE had been.

I would have never tracked it, and it probably would have been a disaster living in Philly. But I still do think about this from time to time.
The chassis is amazing... too bad the cabin is just abysmal in terms of use of space/visibility. I don't understand why the big 3 can figure out engines/chassis just fine but use of space is just pathetic. mustang/camaro/chally all suffer from it.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:48 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:12 pm

That ship sailed broham. He replaced it with the big dick electric car.
Ah bummer. Haven’t been paying enough attention to people’s individual threads.
wap

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:00 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:50 am My car wants have always been fairly pedestrian and boring. :ohwell: I've always wanted a small wagon, so the 2nd gen Volvo V50 got some serious consideration when it came out but I had just gotten my Mk4 so that never happened. I didn't like them at the time, but now I think a Saabaru is pretty :neat: . A few years ago my :dillerman: had a Forest Green over tan Alltrack gathering dust on their lot, that was unfortunately gone shortly before fucking Stuart murdered my Mk6. I've also had in the back of my mind finding a project Karmann Ghia to build, based on the lessons I learned when I did my Beetle. Yeah, that's nahgonnahappen. When I was looking at my Blue Meanie I was also considering a 2018 SE GTI. It was the rare single year that you could get an SE with the :plaid: interior. It would have had the upgraded HU that I VERY much would have preferred, INCLUDING A FUCKING COMPASS :triggered: , CD player, AUX input, etc. I should have bought that instead. :|

As I said, boring
:dat:

I have the same regrets about not doing a 2018 SE with :plaid: I was afraid of the sunroof horror stories, which is why I sought out a 2017 Sport trim, but this was August of 2018 and I'm sure I could have found one. 2018, Great Falls Green, SE over :plaid: with ehsteek. That's the :unicorn: GTI to me.
That would have been :megusta: for sure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My friend in VA has that exact 2018 SE I believe. I know it's green but not 100% if it's plaid or leather
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:14 pm My friend in VA has that exact 2018 SE I believe. I know it's green but not 100% if it's plaid or leather
So :jelly: if it's :plaid: