How Many Brubs Does a BrubTub Brub if the BrubTub Can't Brub Brubs

Strut your greasy stuff!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:39 am Which another point, I'm surprised by how small the car feels. Narrow, short, it's a small car. Putting a ton of HP in it just seems like :notsure:

Honestly, it would be cool as hell to put a 2.0T and 6MT from a modern Camaro in the thing. Or some sort of small displacement high revving V8.
I have a formula for that, too.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:47 am
:lolol: Nah breh, you're good. I thought it was :lolol:
All good :D
The funny :yeahok: part is the $120k bat price, it's a nice dream but probably closer to the price of an 80s Poorsche or Testarosa or something.

Like Sack mentions above, it's a surprisingly attractive spec, especially the pristine interior in a light color and that 80s futuristic look built into the dash. Super cool car, and probably best suited as all original and as well restored as possible for the least amount of money. Legit curious to see what becomes of it!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981- ... rvette-48/

Mid-30k might be possible, which is frankly :mindblown: :butwhy: . This is a similar spec car in many ways, only ours is :manuel: which is generally more desirable in the Corvette world due to rarity. Ours has more corrosion underneath :doe: so it's probably safe to assume it's worthless.

And that's fine. My old man is selling his Vagon on Bring a Fortune this month, he said it's too collectible and valuable to drive, and it takes all the fun out. I can see that. He specifically wants something to tinker with, drive, and enjoy ZFG. The vette is a pretty good option, we'll just have to see if he ends up liking it since he still claims he "doesn't get it" with vettes. Whatever, if he doesn't want it, I'll take it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:39 am Which another point, I'm surprised by how small the car feels. Narrow, short, it's a small car. Putting a ton of HP in it just seems like :notsure:

Honestly, it would be cool as hell to put a 2.0T and 6MT from a modern Camaro in the thing. Or some sort of small displacement high revving V8.
I have a formula for that, too.
Oh, I know. Your formula for that has been in the back of my mind for this car big time. I think it would be a very :neat: approach.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Sack wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 pm This is actually surprisingly attractive.

:notbad:

Those :ramz: are mint, too. :impressive:
There isn't a single mark or scratch on them. They almost look fake they're so perfect. Even the tires are perfect, zero dry rotting, cracking, anything. If nobody told you they were 42 years old, you'd assume they're new. Never seen anything like it.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

:gonbgud: :popcorn:

in4brubtubbuild

smol angry v8 would be neat, maybe an :ellis:? Or something more exotic for extra high rpm…

:evilplan:
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:51 pm
Sack wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 pm This is actually surprisingly attractive.

:notbad:

Those :ramz: are mint, too. :impressive:
There isn't a single mark or scratch on them. They almost look fake they're so perfect. Even the tires are perfect, zero dry rotting, cracking, anything. If nobody told you they were 42 years old, you'd assume they're new. Never seen anything like it.
Still. Best not to roll around at 100mph on them.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:38 pm
For sure.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:49 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:41 pm

All good :D
The funny :yeahok: part is the $120k bat price, it's a nice dream but probably closer to the price of an 80s Poorsche or Testarosa or something.

Like Sack mentions above, it's a surprisingly attractive spec, especially the pristine interior in a light color and that 80s futuristic look built into the dash. Super cool car, and probably best suited as all original and as well restored as possible for the least amount of money. Legit curious to see what becomes of it!

Mid-30k might be possible, which is frankly :mindblown: :butwhy: . This is a similar spec car in many ways, only ours is :manuel: which is generally more desirable in the Corvette world due to rarity. Ours has more corrosion underneath :doe: so it's probably safe to assume it's worthless.

And that's fine. My old man is selling his Vagon on Bring a Fortune this month, he said it's too collectible and valuable to drive, and it takes all the fun out. I can see that. He specifically wants something to tinker with, drive, and enjoy ZFG. The vette is a pretty good option, we'll just have to see if he ends up liking it since he still claims he "doesn't get it" with vettes. Whatever, if he doesn't want it, I'll take it.
Pics of the underside? Eastwood (and I'm sure others) sells an aerosol can with something like a 24" hose and 360* nozzle so you can feed it into the frame rails and do an internal coating. As for the exterior of the frame, just get some Rustoleum gloss black and brush it on. It will create a durable enough coating, a gallon costs $30, and you can easily touch it up when needed. That's what we did for the Impala.

I do agree that it is nice to have a vehicle that isn't 100% pristine to the point where you are stressing every time you hear something ding off it while going down the road. I prefer to get something that has the paint at 95% so it still looks great, but isn't perfect under a scrutinizing eye. The only downside to that is it seems like friends and family always want to point out an imperfection when they take notice, "Hey, did you know this was here?"

Yes, I'm aware. I find new things every time I am twelve inches from the paint detailing the car. However, when you aren't up the car's ass, the imperfections tend to blend in.
ChrisoftheNorth

adoob wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:31 pm :gonbgud: :popcorn:

in4brubtubbuild

smol angry v8 would be neat, maybe an :ellis:? Or something more exotic for extra high rpm…

:evilplan:
I like where your head's at...
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:38 pm
Yea, no. Though, just to get it running and cruise up and down Woodward, they'll be fine for a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:54 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:49 pm

Pics of the underside? Eastwood (and I'm sure others) sells an aerosol can with something like a 24" hose and 360* nozzle so you can feed it into the frame rails and do an internal coating. As for the exterior of the frame, just get some Rustoleum gloss black and brush it on. It will create a durable enough coating, a gallon costs $30, and you can easily touch it up when needed. That's what we did for the Impala.

I do agree that it is nice to have a vehicle that isn't 100% pristine to the point where you are stressing every time you hear something ding off it while going down the road. I prefer to get something that has the paint at 95% so it still looks great, but isn't perfect under a scrutinizing eye. The only downside to that is it seems like friends and family always want to point out an imperfection when they take notice, "Hey, did you know this was here?"

Yes, I'm aware. I find new things every time I am twelve inches from the paint detailing the car. However, when you aren't up the car's ass, the imperfections tend to blend in.
I'll have to take some photos, it's on the hoist right now. It's just a bunch of surface rust on everything underneath. :aintcare: overall, but just interesting that a car that's barely been driven can still have so much corrosion. I think wap was right that sitting in humid Michigan under a cover for 35 years, it probably traps moisture underneath, especially in a non-heated storage area.

I too generally prefer to have something with decent paint, this thing is that. I'll take some more photos of the imperfections. It looks kinda worn all over, but I think a proper detailing will make it look :nice:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:08 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:54 am

I'll have to take some photos, it's on the hoist right now. It's just a bunch of surface rust on everything underneath. :aintcare: overall, but just interesting that a car that's barely been driven can still have so much corrosion. I think wap was right that sitting in humid Michigan under a cover for 35 years, it probably traps moisture underneath, especially in a non-heated storage area.

I too generally prefer to have something with decent paint, this thing is that. I'll take some more photos of the imperfections. It looks kinda worn all over, but I think a proper detailing will make it look :nice:
Yeah, it looks like it will clean up rather well with a couple stages of polishes/compounds. I get excellent results with the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line of stuff. I also just gave a shot at Adam's new graphene liquid wax, and it does an excellent job giving a deep reflection in the paint, and fills in minor imperfections, too.

As for the rust, if the car didn't have a cover that can properly breathe, then moisture definitely was trapped. However, surface rust isn't a big deal. Just make sure to check the body's steel structure as those are known to develop rust and you would definitely want to coat anything that is starting to show signs of oxidation.
Desertbreh

Has Infamous seen this nasty bitch?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:01 pm Has Infamous seen this nasty bitch?
If I had to guess … she’s not exactly fond of daddy husband time to polish someone else’s Highschool prom dream mobile from the 80s.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:01 pm Has Infamous seen this nasty bitch?
If I had to guess … she’s not exactly fond of daddy husband time to polish someone else’s Highschool prom dream mobile from the 80s.
:dat:

She thinks it's "cute" but a :butwhy: :whocares: waste of time.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:05 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:08 am

Yeah, it looks like it will clean up rather well with a couple stages of polishes/compounds. I get excellent results with the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line of stuff. I also just gave a shot at Adam's new graphene liquid wax, and it does an excellent job giving a deep reflection in the paint, and fills in minor imperfections, too.

As for the rust, if the car didn't have a cover that can properly breathe, then moisture definitely was trapped. However, surface rust isn't a big deal. Just make sure to check the body's steel structure as those are known to develop rust and you would definitely want to coat anything that is starting to show signs of oxidation.
It's all just light surface rust, truly NBD, just cosmetic and only noticeable when the car is up on the hoist. :aintcare:

I've got a number of different Mirror Glaze compounds/polishes/waxes. I'll probably give it some love with the DA the next time I'm with the car next month.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:18 pm

As opposed to drinking wine and cruising around in your boat?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:25 am

Bro you know how :sass: think
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:32 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:55 pm

Just pointing out the fact that the "time saved" from such a frivolous endeavour may in fact NOT be instantly plugged back in to solving cold fusion.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:34 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:32 pm

Just pointing out the fact that the "time saved" from such a frivolous endeavour may in fact NOT be instantly plugged back in to solving cold fusion.
That's not how females operate. Better be home and miserable rather than out there living your best life doing car shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:34 pm

That's not how females operate. Better be home and miserable rather than out there living your best life doing car shit.
This guy gets it.

I have so much stuff to do around the house, that anything other than those things is an epic waste of time. Particularly cars since they just get you around and we already have one that works fine and we both like.

On the drive home yesterday, I mentioned that if my dad doesn't want the C3 when he's got it running that I'd like to take it and tinker with it. "We'll have to see about that" she said "we have a lot going on, the last thing we need is another project taking up space in the garage".

Right. One car only, anything more is :fullretard: here. K, thanks.

Hell, she was trying to get me to bail on picking it up last Sunday. The fact that I wanted to do it just didn't compute with her, it was 100% an obligation to my old man and a complete waste of my time.

:ohwell:
ChrisoftheNorth

Took a few more pictures before I left yesterday...

Underneath from rear:

Underneath from front:

Rear suspension

Cleaning up the engine. The only oil leak was from the valve covers. Popped this side off to find that the only factory sealing was a thin bead of of orange silicone around the perimeter of the valve cover. It was blatantly leaking from an area that was particularly thin. New Fel Pro rubber gaskets and a thin bead of silicone around it should take care of the issue. Looks near new when cleaned up

On the outside, here's the worst part of the paint. No way around repainting it, but right now my old man likes the ZFG style and isn't in a hurry to fix up the cosmetics. He wants to get it running 100% first then figure out if the cosmetics are worth it.

The front air dam is :impressive: flawless:

New brakes going on today, fluid changes will be taking place for the engine/transmission/powersteering/etc tomorrow. Cleaning the fuel tank next and then the fun begins. Unfortunately, I'll be doing it remotely. I'll see the car in a month, it'll probably be running and driving by then.
Desertbreh

Good updates! Also, that polished garage floor is :jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:10 am Good updates! Also, that polished garage floor is :jimp:
It's actually a clear epoxy coated on top of the concrete untreated. The same stuff they coat dealer garages with, so it has a non-slip grit in it that's 5/7.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:48 pm

This guy gets it.

I have so much stuff to do around the house, that anything other than those things is an epic waste of time. Particularly cars since they just get you around and we already have one that works fine and we both like.

On the drive home yesterday, I mentioned that if my dad doesn't want the C3 when he's got it running that I'd like to take it and tinker with it. "We'll have to see about that" she said "we have a lot going on, the last thing we need is another project taking up space in the garage".

Right. One car only, anything more is :fullretard: here. K, thanks.

Hell, she was trying to get me to bail on picking it up last Sunday. The fact that I wanted to do it just didn't compute with her, it was 100% an obligation to my old man and a complete waste of my time.

:ohwell:
Yea we may be married to the same woman too. :dock: the whole “we will have to see” gave me chills