How Many Brubs Does a BrubTub Brub if the BrubTub Can't Brub Brubs

Strut your greasy stuff!
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:23 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:42 pm My dad had L88 heads on his C3 for a while. Not the same thing but these old cars with big power are a fucking experience.
I don't get big power in a C3 after driving it for a bit. The thing is SKETCHY feeling overall (it was engineered in the 60's anyway) and I feel like a ton more power would make it borderline shitty. My C5 was too fast, I learned my lesson on that. The C3 can go WOT and bang shift all the way to third without breaking the law, but it still feels fast enough to be exciting. It's an incredibly approachable sports car stock. I'm honestly not sure I get the hate for them. Yea, the numbers suck, yea the interior sucks (no worse than any other Murican 70's car), but it looks cool and will put a smile on your face driving it. What more could you want? I'd almost go as far as saying late C3's might be the best classic performance bang for the buck these days. MINT super low mile ones are under $20k no problem. It does suck that :manuel: ones are so rare :doe: because that's a big part of what makes it so fun. Doesn't seem to impact the price, just searching for a needle in a haystack.

My only beef with the thing is how quiet it is...you can barely hear the engine. Even at WOT, you hear the secondaries more than the exhaust. I could see swapping to a true dual exhaust setup just for added brubs. Maybe if I get it one day I'll play with it a tad. Probably not :doe: Just drive it ZFG.
Go for the full boomer experience and put on sidepipes. :trollface:

The C3 can be made to handle and ride rather well. Going to 17" wheels with a shorter sidewall tire drastically improves handling by itself. It's just like anything else with vehicles: be honest about the vehicle's purpose and buy parts accordingly. In regards to the hate, it stems from the low power numbers and the urethane bumpers, because boomers love themselves shiny chrome errythang and dick-swinging magazine stats.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:53 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:02 pm

The only pre 1990 cars I’ve driven are the aforementioned C3, 1968 Citroen DS, and an MGB; I don’t have much to go on. The idea of huge power in any of them sounds scary though. I’d most likely take it in the Citroen, that thing was soooo advanced in braking/handing/chassis compared to the Corvette.
The vette feels like a step better than a kit car overall. It's remarkable how poorly build and archaic it is, especially compared to a Euro car from the same period.

The car does have surprisingly decent stock brakes :doe: 4 piston fixed is :notbad: for then, and I was really surprised by their linearity and stopping power. Same with the steering, it's remarkably precise for a recirculating ball setup.
My buddy's C3 was a 350 auto and it was pretty fast feeling for what it was, at least power wise. I'm with you that a little bit of power is plenty for these things.

His brakes were absolutely horrid :doe: , as was the handling and transmission. :notsure: what the brakes were in a late 60s model... but the thing was scary because it wasn't particularly slow but every other dynamic aspect was heinous.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:33 am

The only pre 1990 cars I’ve driven are the aforementioned C3, 1968 Citroen DS, and an MGB; I don’t have much to go on. The idea of huge power in any of them sounds scary though. I’d most likely take it in the Citroen, that thing was soooo advanced in braking/handing/chassis compared to the Corvette.
The gayest words ever spoken on this forum.
It was the same year as the C3 and was SOOO much better in every way but power, it was seriously :mindblown: Like you could've told me it was 30 years newer and it would be believable. And the crazy thing is, the DS came out in the mid fifties or so.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Don't kink shame.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:09 am

It was the same year as the C3 and was SOOO much better in every way but power, it was seriously :mindblown: Like you could've told me it was 30 years newer and it would be believable. And the crazy thing is, the DS came out in the mid fifties or so.
DS was wildly advanced for its time so not surprised that it would feel contemporary decades later.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:00 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:23 pm
I don't get big power in a C3 after driving it for a bit. The thing is SKETCHY feeling overall (it was engineered in the 60's anyway) and I feel like a ton more power would make it borderline shitty. My C5 was too fast, I learned my lesson on that. The C3 can go WOT and bang shift all the way to third without breaking the law, but it still feels fast enough to be exciting. It's an incredibly approachable sports car stock. I'm honestly not sure I get the hate for them. Yea, the numbers suck, yea the interior sucks (no worse than any other Murican 70's car), but it looks cool and will put a smile on your face driving it. What more could you want? I'd almost go as far as saying late C3's might be the best classic performance bang for the buck these days. MINT super low mile ones are under $20k no problem. It does suck that :manuel: ones are so rare :doe: because that's a big part of what makes it so fun. Doesn't seem to impact the price, just searching for a needle in a haystack.

My only beef with the thing is how quiet it is...you can barely hear the engine. Even at WOT, you hear the secondaries more than the exhaust. I could see swapping to a true dual exhaust setup just for added brubs. Maybe if I get it one day I'll play with it a tad. Probably not :doe: Just drive it ZFG.

The C3 can be made to handle and ride rather well. Going to 17" wheels with a shorter sidewall tire drastically improves handling by itself. It's just like anything else with vehicles: be honest about the vehicle's purpose and buy parts accordingly. In regards to the hate, it stems from the low power numbers and the urethane bumpers, because boomers love themselves shiny chrome errythang and dick-swinging magazine stats.
:nope: This is a cruiser and IDGAF about handling. Actually, the balloon tires are a big part of why it rides so well IMO. This car will never be on a track and it already handles well enough for the intended purpose. Side pipes look terrible on 80-82's :doe: I'd want to maintain stealth looks if I ever did something stupid like changing the exhaust.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:08 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:53 am
The vette feels like a step better than a kit car overall. It's remarkable how poorly build and archaic it is, especially compared to a Euro car from the same period.

The car does have surprisingly decent stock brakes :doe: 4 piston fixed is :notbad: for then, and I was really surprised by their linearity and stopping power. Same with the steering, it's remarkably precise for a recirculating ball setup.
My buddy's C3 was a 350 auto and it was pretty fast feeling for what it was, at least power wise. I'm with you that a little bit of power is plenty for these things.

His brakes were absolutely horrid :doe: , as was the handling and transmission. :notsure: what the brakes were in a late 60s model... but the thing was scary because it wasn't particularly slow but every other dynamic aspect was heinous.
I mean, they're nothing like the brakes on my C5, but they're way better than I expected. They're probably terribad on a track or something but :whocares:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:08 am

I mean, they're nothing like the brakes on my C5, but they're way better than I expected. They're probably terribad on a track or something but :whocares:
My buddy was always just goosing the hell out of the C3 and going WOT everywhere... then clearly having near zero ability to slow down. I think he was also rockin' 30+ year old rubber, which doesn't help.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:02 pm
My buddy was always just goosing the hell out of the C3 and going WOT everywhere... then clearly having near zero ability to slow down. I think he was also rockin' 30+ year old rubber, which doesn't help.
Wilwood is the way on the C3
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:25 pm

:butwhy:

Old man put stock replacement stainless sleeved raybestos calipers on and they honestly work great. I dunno if the 80 got updated brakes from earlier cars, but the thing really has decent brakes. Enough to slow it down with confidence on the street.
ChrisoftheNorth

The original tires were on the car when we got it, and they were in amazing shape for 40 years old. But then I drove on them, and they felt square and crazy sketchy. Old man replaced them the next day, night and day improvement.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:18 pm

Old man put stock replacement stainless sleeved raybestos calipers on and they honestly work great. I dunno if the 80 got updated brakes from earlier cars, but the thing really has decent brakes. Enough to slow it down with confidence on the street.
TO DICK SWING WITH WAXABLE CALIPERS. TO DOMINATE. MUCH TOO MUCH IS NEVER ENOUGH.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:22 pm

The original tires were on the car when we got it, and they were in amazing shape for 40 years old. But then I drove on them, and they felt square and crazy sketchy. Old man replaced them the next day, night and day improvement.
Yeah that's the thing, my friend's tires looked fine and had plenty of tread, but that is still a hell no in my book.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:18 pm

I would do the same, if they work, :whocares:

My C3 experience could've had different brakes to be honest, or tires that old could truly make the stopping powah feel completely different. I mean, even in a modern car, the rubber is a game changer. It was hard to even engage ABS on the street in my Corvette with the sticky ickies.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The stock brakes are enough to lock up the stock size tires. They're fine
Huckleberry

The C3s got fixed four piston calipers at all four corners with either a 1" bore manual brake master or a 1.125" power brake master. The two downsides to the calipers are that they are iron and tend to leak fluid. Wilwood does make an aluminum replacement caliper that is nice, but it is spendy.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:58 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:00 am

:nope: This is a cruiser and IDGAF about handling. Actually, the balloon tires are a big part of why it rides so well IMO. This car will never be on a track and it already handles well enough for the intended purpose. Side pipes look terrible on 80-82's :doe: I'd want to maintain stealth looks if I ever did something stupid like changing the exhaust.
The one downside to staying with 15s is the lack of tire selection. It was what prompted my dad to upgrade to 17" wheels, because when we were searching for 15" tires, the choices were basically 30 year old tread designs or drag tires.

I do get wanting to stay with 15s, though. I was more responding to the overall statements of C3s, and older cars in general, not handling well. A lot of the handling issues in older cars can be corrected with a wheel and tire swap. Even modern cars can benefit from a different tire, which should be done before throwing a ton of money at suspension components.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Track… 1970s vehicle … :wat: that thing needs to cruise at 2000rpm and go to hooters. fuck all else
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:01 am Track… 1970s vehicle … :wat: that thing needs to cruise at 2000rpm and go to hooters. fuck all else
I have seen some dope resto mod 60s/70s Camaros and Corvettes that dominate at autox and are good on track too. They are so cool but I’m sure you’re looking at a pretty big money build to make something that’s competitive with a stock C5. So cruiser is the way unless you just love the build process, it’s a dream car, or something like that.

Even for Hooters driving though, I could see an exhaust and some nice tires making it more enjoyable if that’s your thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:48 am
The one downside to staying with 15s is the lack of tire selection. It was what prompted my dad to upgrade to 17" wheels, because when we were searching for 15" tires, the choices were basically 30 year old tread designs or drag tires.

I do get wanting to stay with 15s, though. I was more responding to the overall statements of C3s, and older cars in general, not handling well. A lot of the handling issues in older cars can be corrected with a wheel and tire swap. Even modern cars can benefit from a different tire, which should be done before throwing a ton of money at suspension components.
100% that.

I remember one of the car mags doing a track test of a C2 versus a modern Camry. The Camry of course dominated, but I bet the vette could’ve held its own on some average modern tires.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:48 am

Oh, absolutely. I'm sure it would handle decently well with better tires, but that's not the point of the car to me. It's got new BFG Radial TAs on it now, looks the part, rides fantastic, handles well enough.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:56 am
max225 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:01 am Track… 1970s vehicle … :wat: that thing needs to cruise at 2000rpm and go to hooters. fuck all else
I have seen some dope resto mod 60s/70s Camaros and Corvettes that dominate at autox and are good on track too. They are so cool but I’m sure you’re looking at a pretty big money build to make something that’s competitive with a stock C5. So cruiser is the way unless you just love the build process, it’s a dream car, or something like that.

Even for Hooters driving though, I could see an exhaust and some nice tires making it more enjoyable if that’s your thing.
The aftermarket for C3's is just :mindblown: I'm sure it would be easy to build a track/auto-x beast out of one, but it's gonna be pricey and starting with a C5 for about the same price makes far more sense because you're starting so much further ahead.

I'll be inheriting this car at some point. So if I lived closer to a track or something and wanted a track car, I'd probably build the thing up because it's a free car to start with.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

We had a big car show … many C3s and this was my fav.

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:40 am We had a big car show … many C3s and this was my fav.

Chrome bumpers are everyone's favs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:57 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:40 am We had a big car show … many C3s and this was my fav.

Tri-Carb 427s are everyone's favs.
:dat: