How Many Brubs Does a BrubTub Brub if the BrubTub Can't Brub Brubs

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:05 am
Yea, it's hard to say what the guy wants. My old man is driving the Corvette up to show it to him, and asked it he wanted a ride in it. He said "I'd rather die than pass on that, I never thought I'd see it on the road again". When asked about the ZL1 and possibly sending it down to my dad's for him to simply "put it back together", not "sell it", the guy was actually open to the thought. Apparently, the car has most of the interior in it, and all ZL1 parts like the chambered exhaust are there. The short block is apparently assembled, and the heads, intake, and all accy components are in boxes. He also has a 1969 M21 transmission, though it's not numbers matching to the car.

My old man needs the focus. He got the Corvette running in under a month and he said he's really enjoyed the planning and work of getting it going and wants another project. He may buy something, but if he can help his buddy get the ZL1 back together with the parts he has, that would be his priority. Considering the story and their history, I'm encouraging him to do what you suggested...assemble the fucker and drive it like it's meant to be driven. The dude needs the money, but won't part with anything, it's wild. But at least if it's assembled, it might be worth a tad more so if he passes my old man could help his widow sell it for decent money she needs.

Selfishly, I hope it goes through so I can wrench on it with my old man. I'd be coming down to Detroit more frequently for that, I really miss wrenching. We changed the water pump on the Vette yesterday (the bearing sounded HORRIBLE) and it was nice to spin some wrenches and bullshit for a bit. :gaydance: Putting together a legendary 69 Camaro ZL1 would be quite a neat thing IMO.
Would the ZL1s have come with an M21 or M22? Not that it matters. If the trans works, bolt it in.

Hopefully, you and your dad get the chance to put it back together. It seems like your dad's friend enjoys seeing his prized possessions running again.
Apparently they came with both, depending on when it was built. :iono:

We'll see what happens, will be interesting.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:23 pm

I probably should have completed my thought. If he is trying to restore it to retain its value, then it's going to be a painstaking process. If he restores the car to how he wants it and for driving around, then he should go for it. Cars are meant to be driven.

I'm in the camp of making the car personal and unique. I don't have time to worry about what someone else thinks my car is worth. It isn't for sale and it's the only one out there. In the instance of the ZL1, because it has that history, I think your dad's friend would be happy to see it running and driving. Hell, if you were closer, I'd offer to help.
Yea, it's hard to say what the guy wants. My old man is driving the Corvette up to show it to him, and asked it he wanted a ride in it. He said "I'd rather die than pass on that, I never thought I'd see it on the road again". When asked about the ZL1 and possibly sending it down to my dad's for him to simply "put it back together", not "sell it", the guy was actually open to the thought. Apparently, the car has most of the interior in it, and all ZL1 parts like the chambered exhaust are there. The short block is apparently assembled, and the heads, intake, and all accy components are in boxes. He also has a 1969 M21 transmission, though it's not numbers matching to the car.

My old man needs the focus. He got the Corvette running in under a month and he said he's really enjoyed the planning and work of getting it going and wants another project. He may buy something, but if he can help his buddy get the ZL1 back together with the parts he has, that would be his priority. Considering the story and their history, I'm encouraging him to do what you suggested...assemble the fucker and drive it like it's meant to be driven. The dude needs the money, but won't part with anything, it's wild. But at least if it's assembled, it might be worth a tad more so if he passes my old man could help his widow sell it for decent money she needs.

Selfishly, I hope it goes through so I can wrench on it with my old man. I'd be coming down to Detroit more frequently for that, I really miss wrenching. We changed the water pump on the Vette yesterday (the bearing sounded HORRIBLE) and it was nice to spin some wrenches and bullshit for a bit. :gaydance: Putting together a legendary 69 Camaro ZL1 would be quite a neat thing IMO.
Wow. That was supposed to be loud AF
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:55 pm

Old man claims it's the only car that has even given him chills listening to it idle. Supposedly the entire thing is really quite the experience, and I don't doubt it. That engine is nuts. and the car looks so unassuming. Just wild:

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

^ BAD ASS
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:53 pm ^ BAD ASS
:dat:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:10 pm

Old man claims it's the only car that has even given him chills listening to it idle. Supposedly the entire thing is really quite the experience, and I don't doubt it. That engine is nuts. and the car looks so unassuming. Just wild:

This kind of car (60s American muscle) is not my thing AT ALL but even I have to admit that that looks fucking incredible.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:10 pm

That looks really good. I don't care what generation you were born in, if this car doesn't turn your crank them you're probably dead inside.

Wife says I am dead inside because I don't get worked up often, but this post proves her wrong.... I feel this.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I love everything except the wheels :flamesuit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 am I love everything except the wheels :flamesuit:
It's a total base car for drag racing. Dog dish hubcaps yo! Chris does the car even have a heater?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

A ZL1 SS/RS would be cool, but I'm pretty sure that was not possible
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:07 am I love everything except the wheels :flamesuit:
Well, they are poverty dog dish wheels...so they're certainly not the prettiest. It's just wild that GM stuffed the most modern/advanced engine they had ever built into poverty cars and charged today's equivalent of $60k for them. :wtf: :butwhy: :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:21 pm A ZL1 SS/RS would be cool, but I'm pretty sure that was not possible
Nope, they were all poverty spec.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:19 pm
It's a total base car for drag racing. Dog dish hubcaps yo! Chris does the car even have a heater?
Good question. I believe it does...they weren't stripped down from base, but they didn't have much in the way of options.
ChrisoftheNorth

Old man's taking the Vette up to his buddy tomorrow to take him for a ride and discuss the ZL1. I have requested photos.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

My dad had L88 heads on his C3 for a while. Not the same thing but these old cars with big power are a fucking experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:42 pm My dad had L88 heads on his C3 for a while. Not the same thing but these old cars with big power are a fucking experience.
I don't get big power in a C3 after driving it for a bit. The thing is SKETCHY feeling overall (it was engineered in the 60's anyway) and I feel like a ton more power would make it borderline shitty. My C5 was too fast, I learned my lesson on that. The C3 can go WOT and bang shift all the way to third without breaking the law, but it still feels fast enough to be exciting. It's an incredibly approachable sports car stock. I'm honestly not sure I get the hate for them. Yea, the numbers suck, yea the interior sucks (no worse than any other Murican 70's car), but it looks cool and will put a smile on your face driving it. What more could you want? I'd almost go as far as saying late C3's might be the best classic performance bang for the buck these days. MINT super low mile ones are under $20k no problem. It does suck that :manuel: ones are so rare :doe: because that's a big part of what makes it so fun. Doesn't seem to impact the price, just searching for a needle in a haystack.

My only beef with the thing is how quiet it is...you can barely hear the engine. Even at WOT, you hear the secondaries more than the exhaust. I could see swapping to a true dual exhaust setup just for added brubs. Maybe if I get it one day I'll play with it a tad. Probably not :doe: Just drive it ZFG.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:23 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:42 pm My dad had L88 heads on his C3 for a while. Not the same thing but these old cars with big power are a fucking experience.
I don't get big power in a C3 after driving it for a bit. The thing is SKETCHY feeling overall (it was engineered in the 60's anyway) and I feel like a ton more power would make it borderline shitty. My C5 was too fast, I learned my lesson on that. The C3 can go WOT and bang shift all the way to third without breaking the law, but it still feels fast enough to be exciting. It's an incredibly approachable sports car stock. I'm honestly not sure I get the hate for them. Yea, the numbers suck, yea the interior sucks (no worse than any other Murican 70's car), but it looks cool and will put a smile on your face driving it. What more could you want? I'd almost go as far as saying late C3's might be the best classic performance bang for the buck these days. MINT super low mile ones are under $20k no problem. It does suck that :manuel: ones are so rare :doe: because that's a big part of what makes it so fun. Doesn't seem to impact the price, just searching for a needle in a haystack.

My only beef with the thing is how quiet it is...you can barely hear the engine. Even at WOT, you hear the secondaries more than the exhaust. I could see swapping to a true dual exhaust setup just for added brubs. Maybe if I get it one day I'll play with it a tad. Probably not :doe: Just drive it ZFG.
I can assure you that putting 550-600 gross hp in a 69 Camaro is going to make your C5 feel like an F1 car. It's made to do one thing, go 1320 feet as quickly as possible.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

In my dad's defense he bought that thing in like 1990. If you wanted a fast car back then you bought a used big block muscle car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don’t see how a huge power 60s Camaro is any less sketchy than a huge power C3 :lolol: both are awesome and stupid.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:39 pm I don’t see how a huge power 60s Camaro is any less sketchy than a huge power C3 :lolol: both are awesome and stupid.
The sensation from the seating position and the view out is quite different. It makes a Camaro feel mundane. I've only driven a DZ Z28 though to compare.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:39 pm I don’t see how a huge power 60s Camaro is any less sketchy than a huge power C3 :lolol: both are awesome and stupid.
The sensation from the seating position and the view out is quite different. It makes a Camaro feel mundane. I've only driven a DZ Z28 though to compare.
The only pre 1990 cars I’ve driven are the aforementioned C3, 1968 Citroen DS, and an MGB; I don’t have much to go on. The idea of huge power in any of them sounds scary though. I’d most likely take it in the Citroen, that thing was soooo advanced in braking/handing/chassis compared to the Corvette.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:02 pm

The only pre 1990 cars I’ve driven are the aforementioned C3, 1968 Citroen DS, and an MGB; I don’t have much to go on. The idea of huge power in any of them sounds scary though. I’d most likely take it in the Citroen, that thing was soooo advanced in braking/handing/chassis compared to the Corvette.
The gayest words ever spoken on this forum.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, it would absolutely be sketchy too. I would never want to buy a ZL1 Camaro, I just think the thing is cool from a historic standpoint.
ChrisoftheNorth

:dat:

Vette is really low with a TINY interior. The windshield and rear window feel like they're RIGHT next to your head front and back. Then the batmobile fender haunches on either side of the hood, it's a dramatic feeling thing. But you don't have to go that fast to FEEL fast, which is why I think big power is silly.

The Camaro is bigger inside and certainly feels more mundane/pedestrian. Granted, with a 500HP all aluminum big block thumping under the hood, it can't feel THAT mundane, but it's got to be a different driving experience.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:02 pm

The vette feels like a step better than a kit car overall. It's remarkable how poorly build and archaic it is, especially compared to a Euro car from the same period.

The car does have surprisingly decent stock brakes :doe: 4 piston fixed is :notbad: for then, and I was really surprised by their linearity and stopping power. Same with the steering, it's remarkably precise for a recirculating ball setup.