How Many Brubs Does a BrubTub Brub if the BrubTub Can't Brub Brubs

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:04 pm Great thread. L-82 not found but fun car. Had to drive to El Lay today :disgust:, a guy on the 10 had one of these duckbill things with those optional RAMZ. He seemed pretty happy.
Yep, as I suspected, no L-82. That would have been quite something, but it's decently cool none the less. It's a pretty appealing looking car, I see the potential.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

L82 is auto only right ?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:23 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:23 pm

Sell back to the broke disabled man for $120k? That's rich 😂
That's cold AF.
It was meant to illustrate the obstacles that stand between Rudy's vision and reality, not as an insult to anyone.

Either way, I'll see myself out.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:20 am L82 is auto only right ?
Actually, no. There were ~500 built early in the model run and then the manual option was turned off for L-82. Before we got the car, there was some speculation that it could be a rare :manuel: L-82 car, but that proved to be not the case.

:ohwell:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:14 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:23 pm
That's cold AF.
It was meant to illustrate the obstacles that stand between Rudy's vision and reality, not as an insult to anyone.

:lolol: Nah breh, you're good. I thought it was :lolol:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:41 pm I dunno why there is so much disdain towards the C3. It seems like a very decent vehicle to me. Interiors were nice for the time also.
It's not so much a disdain for C3s as it is a disdain for the urethane bumper C3s. People prefer the looks of the earlier C3s with metal bumpers, and those earlier cars also had some pretty good engine options. You have to remember that the C3 was produced from 1968 to 1982. So, that generation saw the decreases in horsepower ratings due to increasingly stringent emissions standards. But even the least desirable C3 still commands a premium over a C4. That truly is the generation that garners the most disdain, despite it outperforming the C3 by every metric.

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:56 pm I have heard about the whole corrosion thing, I have seen a few of those "barn hunter" shows and some cars are in pretty rough shape even when inside. Interesting.

190hp seems fine, based on that gauge that engine probably doesn't rev for shit. 4500rpm redline? Is what is keeping the power number "low" but that likely means it has a shit ton of torque and probably sounds good too. :whocares: if it is "fast"
Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as revving the engine higher. The combustion chambers are large (76cc) and the pistons are dished, creating a paltry 8-8.5:1 compression ratio. The camshaft is tiny, as well. The specs at .050" lift are 195/202, .390"/.410", 112 LSA. Those lift numbers are abysmal, but the cylinder heads also don't flow, so putting in a larger camshaft won't help a great deal because the heads can't handle much more airflow. Basically, the thinking back then was to choke the engine down as much as possible to improve emissions. Horsepower requires fuel, so less horsepower equals less fuel, which then equals lower emissions.

But like I said in the other thread, it is still a small block Chevy. It can either be either modified or replaced with a different small block. Personally, I would replace it with a hydraulic roller engine, but the existing engine can also be retrofitted for a hydraulic roller cam. There are a ton of options out there. The best budget option being the Vortec heads, but it is a SBC, so the choices are limitless.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

One issue with the C3 is the iron calipers tend to leak, which is a shame because they are fixed 4-piston calipers. Wilwood makes a very nice aluminum replacement caliper that bolts on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil- ... 44QAvD_BwE

Keep an eye out for deals. The C3 spindles bolt onto the 58-64 Impalas, so that is what we did with my dad's car. I kept eyeing up the Wilwood calipers and one day, got a notification that there was a killer deal on Amazon for them. I think I paid $250 for a complete front end kit. It was basically 50% off.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:54 am One issue with the C3 is the iron calipers tend to leak, which is a shame because they are fixed 4-piston calipers. Wilwood makes a very nice aluminum replacement caliper that bolts on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil- ... 44QAvD_BwE

Keep an eye out for deals. The C3 spindles bolt onto the 58-64 Impalas, so that is what we did with my dad's car. I kept eyeing up the Wilwood calipers and one day, got a notification that there was a killer deal on Amazon for them. I think I paid $250 for a complete front end kit. It was basically 50% off.
My old man ordered stainless sleeved Raybestos replacements from Rock Auto. It'll never see the track or even spirited driving, so they should be fine. He also wants to get it on the road ASAP and doesn't want to wait on deals or spend major money since the car just isn't worth it.

We took apart the stock calipers, and they looked surprisingly fine. But since they're off the car and the replacements were so cheap, they're worth replacing. I guess if they leak at some point, we could look into upgrades, but :aintcare:

Goal is to do the bare minimum to get it running and driving and back on the road, then identify issues and upgrades from there.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:41 pm I dunno why there is so much disdain towards the C3. It seems like a very decent vehicle to me. Interiors were nice for the time also.
It's not so much a disdain for C3s as it is a disdain for the urethane bumper C3s. People prefer the looks of the earlier C3s with metal bumpers, and those earlier cars also had some pretty good engine options. You have to remember that the C3 was produced from 1968 to 1982. So, that generation saw the decreases in horsepower ratings due to increasingly stringent emissions standards. But even the least desirable C3 still commands a premium over a C4. That truly is the generation that garners the most disdain, despite it outperforming the C3 by every metric.

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:56 pm I have heard about the whole corrosion thing, I have seen a few of those "barn hunter" shows and some cars are in pretty rough shape even when inside. Interesting.

190hp seems fine, based on that gauge that engine probably doesn't rev for shit. 4500rpm redline? Is what is keeping the power number "low" but that likely means it has a shit ton of torque and probably sounds good too. :whocares: if it is "fast"
Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as revving the engine higher. The combustion chambers are large (76cc) and the pistons are dished, creating a paltry 8-8.5:1 compression ratio. The camshaft is tiny, as well. The specs at .050" lift are 195/202, .390"/.410", 112 LSA. Those lift numbers are abysmal, but the cylinder heads also don't flow, so putting in a larger camshaft won't help a great deal because the heads can't handle much more airflow. Basically, the thinking back then was to choke the engine down as much as possible to improve emissions. Horsepower requires fuel, so less horsepower equals less fuel, which then equals lower emissions.

But like I said in the other thread, it is still a small block Chevy. It can either be either modified or replaced with a different small block. Personally, I would replace it with a hydraulic roller engine, but the existing engine can also be retrofitted for a hydraulic roller cam. There are a ton of options out there. The best budget option being the Vortec heads, but it is a SBC, so the choices are limitless.
:dat:

Dang, those stock engine specs are :gag:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Looks like a fun project. I hated driving my dad's C3, but it was no power steering, non power brakes, and I believe manual clutch. Add to the fact it was a convertible and fast as fuck it was just not a fun experience on the road, because I felt way too vulnerable to other :derp: on the road.

This could be a great cruiser though, and I always thought these late C3s look fantastic
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:13 am Looks like a fun project. I hated driving my dad's C3, but it was no power steering, non power brakes, and I believe manual clutch. Add to the fact it was a convertible and fast as fuck it was just not a fun experience on the road, because I felt way too vulnerable to other :derp: on the road.

This could be a great cruiser though, and I always thought these late C3s look fantastic
This thing should be somewhat civilized. Power steering, power brakes, clutch is probably manual, but it's not a beast clutch so shouldn't be too tough. It won't be fast at all, but it is quite small and janky, so I can see the concern of being too vulnerable to all the other :truk: driving :derp: s on the road.

As a cruiser, it should be :neat: indeed.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Yeah my dad's made about 500hp and in third gear it felt like the engine was trying to back out every nut and bolt on the car.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:08 am Yeah my dad's made about 500hp and in third gear it felt like the engine was trying to back out every nut and bolt on the car.
Yea, that sounds too sketchy to be fun. I'm pretty amazed by how janky the car is. The industry has come A LONG WAY in engineering and build quality. I wouldn't want a high HP engine in one of these things. My 440whp C5 was too much and I can't imagine something like that in the C3. Deathmobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Which another point, I'm surprised by how small the car feels. Narrow, short, it's a small car. Putting a ton of HP in it just seems like :notsure:

Honestly, it would be cool as hell to put a 2.0T and 6MT from a modern Camaro in the thing. Or some sort of small displacement high revving V8.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:39 am Which another point, I'm surprised by how small the car feels. Narrow, short, it's a small car. Putting a ton of HP in it just seems like :notsure:

Honestly, it would be cool as hell to put a 2.0T and 6MT from a modern Camaro in the thing. Or some sort of small displacement high revving V8.
It would be fun to see what you can do with the original engine in terms of a mild build. Little more cam, some head work, etc. Like 275 hp net?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:39 am Which another point, I'm surprised by how small the car feels. Narrow, short, it's a small car. Putting a ton of HP in it just seems like :notsure:

Dat super long hood :doe: , no?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Glans Hustaf
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Nothing Impressive

This is actually surprisingly attractive.

:notbad:

Those :ramz: are mint, too. :impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:14 pm

Web says C3 is five inches longer than C7 @ 182
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:36 pm

Web says C3 is five inches longer than C7 @ 182
Wiki says the 1982 C3 is 185" and the C7 is 177", 8" longer :dedong: .

I think the reason it LOOKS so much longer is the wheelbase. C3 is 98" and C7 is 107" so 9" shorter wheelbase C3 + 8" overall longer length makes for a massive front end overhang and a ginormous-looking hood.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Northstar

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

It doesn't feel as long as it looks from behind the wheel. The center falls off quickly with the fender haunches sticking up on the side. :megusta: view out the windshield IMO.

Will be interesting to drive. The narrowness and cramped interior are quite surprising after being used to be C5.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:13 pm

Northstar

:trollface:
:nuke:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:47 am
Tar wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:14 am

:lolol: Nah breh, you're good. I thought it was :lolol:
All good :D
The funny :yeahok: part is the $120k bat price, it's a nice dream but probably closer to the price of an 80s Poorsche or Testarosa or something.

Like Sack mentions above, it's a surprisingly attractive spec, especially the pristine interior in a light color and that 80s futuristic look built into the dash. Super cool car, and probably best suited as all original and as well restored as possible for the least amount of money. Legit curious to see what becomes of it!
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:52 am

It would be fun to see what you can do with the original engine in terms of a mild build. Little more cam, some head work, etc. Like 275 hp net?
Problem is the bottom end is garbage. Minimal compression will limit how much can actually be done, no matter how fancy the heads and cam. Since it's just a small block, it would make more sense to just build a new engine if that was the desire, it probably wouldn't cost a ton more but the performance would be better so probably better bang for the buck overall. I like building engines, so it would be a fun thing maybe at some point.

It would be interesting how the car stock responded to headers and exhaust perhaps, and those would carry over to a new engine, so not money down the drain. That old style cat is massive and likely quite restrictive, as are the sad cast iron exhaust manifolds and the stock mufflers...zero flow.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Been a very interesting thread so far 5/7.