OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:10 am

Well 3.5% on base isn't quite 3.5 overall but I'm still fairly pleased with it. I kind of expect nothing at this point so it's a win.

Evidently my inside sales guy put in his two weeks and they just cut him off later in the day :wtf: I'm glad he gets two weeks off paid, he was great and deserves it. But RIP that part of my territory.
I should be getting 3.1% increase in May when I hit my service date anniversary. Raises will come further apart after that, unless I can earn some out of cycle raises with my performance between them.
:notbad: in the short term. Hopefully the .gov at least dishes out those regular COL increases going forward. Seems like my merit increase was higher than most at the company so that is kinda nice.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:45 pm Well, updates to the clusterfuck of my job:

1. Positive - got a raise today. 3.5% increase to base salary which works out to about 2.63% to overall OTE.
2. Negative - TWO people told me they're quitting today, the Sales Engineer for my region and my best inside sales guy/account manager.

This will increase my workload quite a bit as the sales engineer is responsible for assisting customers with system designs, product trainings, etc. I have three inside reps under me, the two who aren't leaving are fairly incompetent, so I will essentially have to take on the sales engineer duties for them to keep happening.

:disgust: but at least the raise goes to base pay which is guaranteed versus the hopes and dreams commission scheme. So I'll have a bit over $300 more/month coming in before taxes.
nice raise, take it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:18 pm

I should be getting 3.1% increase in May when I hit my service date anniversary. Raises will come further apart after that, unless I can earn some out of cycle raises with my performance between them.
:notbad: in the short term. Hopefully the .gov at least dishes out those regular COL increases going forward. Seems like my merit increase was higher than most at the company so that is kinda nice.
Yeah the last two years had decent COLA at least. Not keeping up with inflation, but if I can stack some out of cycle raises on them then I’m doing okay. I’ll be up for a decent promotion after this May too, so once a position opens up above me I should be able to slide into that with relative ease.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:26 pm

Yeah the last two years had decent COLA at least. Not keeping up with inflation, but if I can stack some out of cycle raises on them then I’m doing okay. I’ll be up for a decent promotion after this May too, so once a position opens up above me I should be able to slide into that with relative ease.
The pricing on my proposals keeps getting redlined to "gut feel should be this". Job comes in well over budget (that was reduced).. ZOMG WHY WE LOSE MONEY. Welp, cost of everything are through the roof. :thisisfine:

Sadly the gut feeling of cost indicator is over due for recalibration. Never in our live times have costs increased on everything so rapidly. and buildings outpace the basic consumer goods by an additional 1.5% jan 23 thru jan 24.

I got no raise btw. Im hoping to earn a decent performance bonus to make up at year end. :iono:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

how bout that bridge huh
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am how bout that bridge huh
Just saw that. Holy shit.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Lights go out right before the pass under the bridge on the boat … then it goes straight into the column
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:25 am
Lights go out right before the pass under the bridge on the boat … then it goes straight into the column
Yea the ship clearly had a major failure of some sort at a very bad time.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:40 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:25 am

Captain is Ukrainian :caspian: but presumably he wasn't steering at the time but the port appointed pilot was
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:33 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:40 am

Captain is Ukrainian :caspian: but presumably he wasn't steering at the time but the port appointed pilot was
yea, all indications are that this was just an accident. Unless the investigation finds evidence of hacking, sabotage, or criminal level deferring of known critical maintenance issues it will probably remain so.

Biden says the feds gonna rebuild bridge. Can I place a bet somewhere that it takes more than a decade or never happens at all?
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:43 pm

yea, all indications are that this was just an accident. Unless the investigation finds evidence of hacking, sabotage, or criminal level deferring of known critical maintenance issues it will probably remain so.

Biden says the feds gonna rebuild bridge. Can I place a bet somewhere that it takes more than a decade or never happens at all?
He took a train over it so it’ll happen in no time
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Threre are two kinds of federal projects. If it's the kind like that overpass in Philly shit will happen right soon.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:20 pm

Threre are two kinds of federal projects. If it's the kind like that overpass in Philly shit will happen right soon.
doubt. this took 5 years and 60 million in early 70's, back when we would build actual shit. 666 (heh) % inflation since then its a 460 million today. and thats without environmental impact studies making sure the Baltimore harbor hood bobblehead crab isn't affected in anyway.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:20 pm

we cant build a bridge like that for under $5B today. It's 1.5 miles long across a major harbor... We simply aint built any comparable large-scale public infrastructure in 20+ years. The most recent impressive bridge is at Canuck border. Paid for BY them in jv with US. Its 4 years over due and double over budget.

Brad says 5 years min. I'd wager more than 10 years from today before a hope of a new bridge arises.

For reference, in swamp landia, we can't even build a 3k ft long bridge for under $2B over 20 years. 5 more years of studies and planning. 5 years best case to build.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:45 pm Well, updates to the clusterfuck of my job:

1. Positive - got a raise today. 3.5% increase to base salary which works out to about 2.63% to overall OTE.
Congrats man!

I've been really fortunate at my new job in regards to raises.
2022: 5.8%
2023: 9.0%
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Spoke to one of the civil engineers I work with in regards to designing a bridge to handle such an impact.

"Are we supposed to design buildings to withstand plane impacts too?"
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 pm

Congrats man!

I've been really fortunate at my new job in regards to raises.
2022: 5.8%
2023: 9.0%
:impressive: and :jelly:
Way to go!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 pm Spoke to one of the civil engineers I work with in regards to designing a bridge to handle such an impact.

:dat: :iswydt:

fun fact. We DID design buildings to withstand plane impacts. But, dank memes melt steel beams.

:tinfoil:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:14 pm
Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:10 pm Spoke to one of the civil engineers I work with in regards to designing a bridge to handle such an impact.

fun fact. We DID design buildings to withstand plane impacts. But, dank memes melt steel beams.

Indeed they were.

I'll send the said engineer an article stating as such,
Proving engineers wrong is so enjoyable. Even if it's an offhand comment such as the one given.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:16 pm

Indeed they were.

I'll send the said engineer an article stating as such,
Proving engineers wrong is so enjoyable. Even if it's an offhand comment such as the one given.
The titanic was also unsinkable. An engineer said so.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:19 pm The titanic was also unsinkable. An engineer said so.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:13 pm :impressive: and :jelly:
Way to go!
Thanks man, Sigma has been really good to me.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

It did survive the impact. The subsequent fire tho....
SAWCE

Been loving seasoning some of my food with turmeric. Get those anti-inflammatory benefits and some tasty flavors. Just cooked up some shrimp and rice and tossed the shrimp in a little avocado oil and hit it with pink salt and turmeric while it cooked.
SAWCE

Also, if you bros aren’t in on kimchi pickles then you need to be. So fucking good.