OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:21 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:01 pm Rudy was that dash cam video on your IG of being forced off the highway actually yours? Shit was wild.
Yes.
send it over I am curious.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:51 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:47 pm

9oz of chicken per serving gets old fast. So I split 5oz out and blend it up with some mixed greens and homemade chicken stock from when I pressure cooked the chicken. My life is infinitely easier doing this. The other 4oz is grilled and eaten with rice and veggies.
I still haven't been able to get into this. I've tried counting macros and getting 180g of protein per day...damn it's tough. I usually get to ~150g and call it good. But that's partly why I'm not yuuuuge.
I do about the same… it’s easy getting in 180g if I’m eating 4,000+ calories like if I go on a long bike ride and burn 1500+, not so much on more of a rest day where I’ll eat maybe 2800.

I don’t really eat meat much though, so that’s the main thing.

I’m about 180-185 pounds and 13% bf so technically 160g of protein should be fine I think.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:06 pm I do about the same… it’s easy getting in 180g if I’m eating 4,000+ calories like if I go on a long bike ride and burn 1500+, not so much on more of a rest day where I’ll eat maybe 2800.

I’m about 180-185 pounds and 13% bf so technically 160g of protein should be fine I think.
Nothing wrong with that, man. If you feel good, look like you want, your blood work is good and it's sustainable, those are all the most important things.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:06 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:51 pm

I still haven't been able to get into this. I've tried counting macros and getting 180g of protein per day...damn it's tough. I usually get to ~150g and call it good. But that's partly why I'm not yuuuuge.
I do about the same… it’s easy getting in 180g if I’m eating 4,000+ calories like if I go on a long bike ride and burn 1500+, not so much on more of a rest day where I’ll eat maybe 2800.

Oh yeah I’d say 160g is plenty for you. More and more of the science based :meat: head bros are going with 1g/lb of lean body mass recommended for gainz for people that are natty. So 160g is probably spot on for you, especially since you aren’t really pushing to add more mass. Hitting that number without eating a lot of :meat: is :impressive:
SAWCE

Although, if you’re getting more plant based protein, that recommended number does go up because of the different amino acid profile found in the plant proteins vs animal proteins. So to hit things like your leucine threshold in order to stimulate muscle protein synthesis you’d probably need say 50g of plant protein in a sitting vs the 30-40g of animal protein (iirc) it take to hit that threshold.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:06 pm

Oh yeah I’d say 160g is plenty for you. More and more of the science based :meat: head bros are going with 1g/lb of lean body mass recommended for gainz for people that are natty. So 160g is probably spot on for you, especially since you aren’t really pushing to add more mass. Hitting that number without eating a lot of :meat: is :impressive:
I do tend to supplement it with whey so that certainly helps keep the number up. I also eat a fair amount of Greek yogurt.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:39 pm

I do tend to supplement it with whey so that certainly helps keep the number up. I also eat a fair amount of Greek yogurt.
Oh yeah you should be good to go. Whey and casein are a great combo.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:28 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 am

:dat:

My problem is I'm allergic to dairy and to tree nuts, so no whey, no casein, no almonds/cashews etc. I'm left with either meat, or things like pea and rice protein. I can do 180-200g if I plan for it but, if I just eat like usual I end up at 150g-160g. I'm 180lbs as well with a similar BF % as Griff. If I consistently got 180g instead that would probably shift my macros enough to get me decently lean, but eh. I like cookies.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:28 am

My problem is I'm allergic to dairy and to tree nuts, so no whey, no casein, no almonds/cashews etc. I'm left with either meat, or things like pea and rice protein. I can do 180-200g if I plan for it but, if I just eat like usual I end up at 150g-160g. I'm 180lbs as well with a similar BF % as Griff. If I consistently got 180g instead that would probably shift my macros enough to get me decently lean, but eh. I like cookies.
I’m assuming you’ve tried a variety of different lactose-free whey isolates? They don’t work for everyone, but I have a few buddies that can do those where they can’t do normal whey. True Nutrition’s seem to be solid for those guys.
SAWCE

By plant protein standards, pea is the way to go. It’s the only complete plant protein iirc. Would still have to up the amount a bit to hit the amino acid equivalent of an animal protein, but if you :aintcare: that much then just hit your 150-160 and call it a day. Still worlds better than most people are doing. Wild how low the daily recommended amount is with all the research we have showing it’s benefits, especially as people age and their requirement goes up.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:58 pm
coogles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 pm

I’m assuming you’ve tried a variety of different lactose-free whey isolates? They don’t work for everyone, but I have a few buddies that can do those where they can’t do normal whey. True Nutrition’s seem to be solid for those guys.
Lactose ain't got nuttin to do with it, unfortunately. I'm allergic to the proteins in milk. I'm sensitive to egg protein as well, as they're similar in structure, I guess. I can eat eggs once or twice a week, but more than that and my guts are maaaaad.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:00 pm By plant protein standards, pea is the way to go. It’s the only complete plant protein iirc. Would still have to up the amount a bit to hit the amino acid equivalent of an animal protein, but if you :aintcare: that much then just hit your 150-160 and call it a day. Still worlds better than most people are doing. Wild how low the daily recommended amount is with all the research we have showing it’s benefits, especially as people age and their requirement goes up.
This is my primary protein supplement.

https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/mediclear-sgs-trade

It's more of a "medical food", but it helps keep my UC symptoms at bay.

If I do a second serving of a protein supplement, in a day, I have a stash of DeFranco's vegan I use. A second protein shake is pretty much mandatory if I want to get over that 160g mark for me.

https://nutrition-treatment-center.mysh ... -chocolate
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Momma is away on a camping trip with friends so I’m solo with little dude for 2 days. He’s a bucket of fun. Jealous that she gets to hang with him all day and I’m stuck working.
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:30 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:58 pm

Lactose ain't got nuttin to do with it, unfortunately. I'm allergic to the proteins in milk. I'm sensitive to egg protein as well, as they're similar in structure, I guess. I can eat eggs once or twice a week, but more than that and my guts are maaaaad.
Oh damn. That’s a bummer for sure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:08 pm Image

Momma is away on a camping trip with friends so I’m solo with little dude for 2 days. He’s a bucket of fun. Jealous that she gets to hang with him all day and I’m stuck working.
D'awwwww. :wub:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

I know no one cares. I told him to say "cheese" and that's what I got, lol. IYKYK. His little smiles are the best. Probably because I watched him grow from a screaming vegetable to a little kid that can do stuff.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice looking young man!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Little kids’ cheese faces are the best.

We did a little hike with my buddy, his wife, and their two kids yesterday. The older one wanted nothing to do with dad and had to be holding my hand the whole hike :wub:
SAWCE

Currently returning the ac unit. Saying fuck the 10k btu version and jumping up to 12k for 1.5x the current cooling power of this bitch.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Cute kid, man.

I love when I get some 1:1 time with my son too. He'll be 4 in a couple weeks and it's (almost) always a great time to be out for some father/son time. A couple weeks ago we went to Fort Ben and hiked 3 miles through the woods together. I couldn't believe he kept going that long but he was 100% into it. Just for fun, here's a picture of my son and one of my girls checking out Daddy's new "racecar". :wub:

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:39 pm

Cute kid, man.

I love when I get some 1:1 time with my son too. He'll be 4 in a couple weeks and it's (almost) always a great time to be out for some father/son time. A couple weeks ago we went to Fort Ben and hiked 3 miles through the woods together. I couldn't believe he kept going that long but he was 100% into it. Just for fun, here's a picture of my son and one of my girls checking out Daddy's new "racecar". :wub:

Oh wow he looks super excited about it!
3 miles is a pretty sizable hike.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:48 pm
coogles wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:39 pm

Cute kid, man.

Oh wow he looks super excited about it!
3 miles is a pretty sizable hike.
For real. What a trooper. The one we did yesterday was .8 miles round-trip lol.
SAWCE

The 12k btu unit was the play. Took about an hour to cool the room down before the thermostat kicked it off. No louder than the 8k unit was. The 8k May have worked if our unit wasn’t defective. Air blowing out of this one is noticeably colder and the thermostat actually works. We set the old unit at 80° for over an hour during the week when it was 76° outside and it never kicked off once.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:40 pm The 12k btu unit was the play. Took about an hour to cool the room down before the thermostat kicked it off. No louder than the 8k unit was. The 8k May have worked if our unit wasn’t defective. Air blowing out of this one is noticeably colder and the thermostat actually works. We set the old unit at 80° for over an hour during the week when it was 76° outside and it never kicked off once.
Interesting. Good thing you got it solved. It does seem like the other unit must have been defective
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:43 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:40 pm The 12k btu unit was the play. Took about an hour to cool the room down before the thermostat kicked it off. No louder than the 8k unit was. The 8k May have worked if our unit wasn’t defective. Air blowing out of this one is noticeably colder and the thermostat actually works. We set the old unit at 80° for over an hour during the week when it was 76° outside and it never kicked off once.
Interesting. Good thing you got it solved. It does seem like the other unit must have been defective
I’m glad too. Extra $150 for the 12k over the 8k, well worth it.