OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 pm Just heard my dad lost the top half of his thumb to a garage door spring this week. Took 6 hours to even get any Novocaine and then another 6 to get it stitched on. Two surgeries later and he's waiting to see if he'll get to keep it or not. Fuck those springs man it's sketchy shit.
Yikes! Hope he gets to keep his thumb. A (former) friend of mine's dad lost his thumb in a weird way. He was up on a ladder cleaning out a gutter when the ladder slipped and he fell, but his thumb somehow got wedged into the gutter and he fell to the ground but his thumb stayed up stuck in the gutter. :yikes:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 pm Just heard my dad lost the top half of his thumb to a garage door spring this week. Took 6 hours to even get any Novocaine and then another 6 to get it stitched on. Two surgeries later and he's waiting to see if he'll get to keep it or not. Fuck those springs man it's sketchy shit.
Was he servicing it or what?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:48 pm
One broke so he was replacing both. The one that didn't break, broke as soon as he got his hands on it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:48 pm

One broke so he was replacing both. The one that didn't break, broke as soon as he got his hands on it.
Yeah that is not something I would do myself, and I'm not just being a know it all based on the incident. They look lethal.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm

Yeah that is not something I would do myself, and I'm not just being a know it all based on the incident. They look lethal.
Paying someone to do it is much cheaper than the consequences of it going wrong.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm

:dat: they got major warnings plastered all over them. So it seems like they are a cause of quite a few injuries.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Finally bought a dining room table :fancy: bet we still eat on the couch/coffee table 90% of the time :lol:
SAWCE

@cale, looks like your dude did well at his show. Class win in novice and open, and the overall for novice. He’s got good shape and some really dense muscle. Won’t take much to move up to an overall win. A little more chest and delts, and some tighter conditioning and he could have taken the open overall too. Cool to see.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:00 pm @cale, looks like your dude did well at his show. Class win in novice and open, and the overall for novice. He’s got good shape and some really dense muscle. Won’t take much to move up to an overall win. A little more chest and delts, and some tighter conditioning and he could have taken the open overall too. Cool to see.
I saw that. I legit didn't recognize him with all that tan :lolol:
wap

Across the street from my house:

:thisisfine:
:lolol: :gag:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:38 pm Across the street from my house:

So :thisisfine: in paradise but some rock and a fence is a full on :triggered: event?

:lolol:
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:12 pm
SAWCE wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:00 pm @cale, looks like your dude did well at his show. Class win in novice and open, and the overall for novice. He’s got good shape and some really dense muscle. Won’t take much to move up to an overall win. A little more chest and delts, and some tighter conditioning and he could have taken the open overall too. Cool to see.
:lolol: that is by far the worst part about show day and the night before. You get one layer when you check in for the show the day before, then that morning when you get to the venue they do another layer, then when you’re backstage getting ready to go on they “glaze” you with this shiny sticky shit. 30 minutes in the shower with every exfoliant in the world afterwards and you still look ridiculous :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:02 am

:lolol: that is by far the worst part about show day and the night before. You get one layer when you check in for the show the day before, then that morning when you get to the venue they do another layer, then when you’re backstage getting ready to go on they “glaze” you with this shiny sticky shit. 30 minutes in the shower with every exfoliant in the world afterwards and you still look ridiculous :lol:
I have always found the tan thing pretty odd... that level of tan does not look good. I guess it helps with shadowing to accentuate the massles?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:39 am
Tar wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:22 am

Yes and yes, he is an introverted sensory overload kid. He loves ball hockey, soccer and TKD, but we'll run a few options by him this winter. He was taking euk lessons and had fun with it, no pressure just tinkering with an instructor once per week.
I think finding something he truly enjoys and can use as something to focus on outside of the normal doldrums of like is so key.

When I was a kid I was bullied mercilessly for years. I was 4 years old when I started kindergarten and easily the youngest kid in class by at least 3-4 months. At that time we lived in a pretty nice neighborhood in an otherwise decaying part of town with a shitty school district, so rather than send me to the public schools my parents decided to go the private route, but I was so young the Catholic and Lutheran schools wouldn't take me. Caterbury, this fancy-ass rich folks' school would, probably as a charity case. We didn't have a lot of money, and what tuition we did still have to pay my grandparents paid for. I stayed there through 6th grade until my parents moved, and can't begin to tell you how much I contemplated not living anymore. Not only was I bullied because I was just younger and behind everybody else, both physically and socially, but also because I didn't have the clothes other kids did, my parents didn't have the same kinds of cars, etc. etc.

My parents moved to a different school district and for 7th grade I switched schools, which was a good start. It gave me the opportunity to start fresh with new people in a new place. Thankfully I also hit puberty early, so I went from 4'10" at the beginning of 7th grade to 5'9" by the end of 8th. I finally felt like I could stand up for myself. It wasn't until I really started getting into hockey and being an athlete that I developed any real sense of self-confidence, though. I found a group of people with whom I had a common goal and passion, and that brought me out of my shell. I really haven't had the same kinds of thoughts since, even dealing with all of the changes in life that have been brought on by having 3 children within the span of 20 months and raising them through a pandemic.

At least for me, finding that thing I loved doing and having a group to bond with over that same thing was huge. Hopefully your son can lean into those things he loves to do and limit his exposure to the things or people he doesn't like. Find some purpose, something to look forward to. And maybe most importantly, when he's doing that thing he loves, he won't be thinking about anything else.
Great stuff here. I struggled some and was bullied a lot as a kid too, more so in the 9-13 year old range or so, but I really came into my own better in high school when I started marching band. I really loved that and enjoyed having a 'squad' of people from it. We all spent tons of hours together rehearsing, band camping, traveling to football games and competitions. It's something I still look back on very fondly and it felt great at the time to be a part of something and not feeling like an outlier because I wasn't athletic and my parents were poorer than the other catholic school families.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:52 pm Finally bought a dining room table :fancy: bet we still eat on the couch/coffee table 90% of the time :lol:
We eat at the table probably 70% of dinners we have here (granted I'm away a lot and we travel together a lot as well). It's kind of :nice: to enjoy that time not in front of the TV IMO, a worthwhile investment.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:29 am

I have always found the tan thing pretty odd... that level of tan does not look good. I guess it helps with shadowing to accentuate the massles?
Yeah the lights they use are so bright that if you aren’t painted super dark you’ll just get washed out by them and the judges won’t be able to see anything.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:35 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:52 pm Finally bought a dining room table :fancy: bet we still eat on the couch/coffee table 90% of the time :lol:
We eat at the table probably 70% of dinners we have here (granted I'm away a lot and we travel together a lot as well). It's kind of :nice: to enjoy that time not in front of the TV IMO, a worthwhile investment.
I hope we spend more time eating there. I’m pretty :butwhy: on spending so much time watching TV/movies, so if this keeps the TV off a little more that’d be awesome.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:55 am
wap wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:38 pm Across the street from my house:

So :thisisfine: in paradise but some rock and a fence is a full on :triggered: event?

Inorite??!!?? :really:

It was righted this morning. They're rebuilding the road that is my cross street. You can sort of see it in the background. This Corvette body is for the workers.
SAWCE

Cheat meal last night. Did our classic steak and mac and cheese, but cooked up a couple of strips of bacon and chopped them up into the mac. Damn was that tasty.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:14 pm

It was righted this morning. They're rebuilding the road that is my cross street. You can sort of see it in the background. This Corvette body is for the workers.
:lolol: Corvette body. Buttbrub tub.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That Gojo shop soap with gravel in it :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:14 pm

:lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, my give a damn is busted as usual on a Monday. All this talk of therapy has me thinking maybe I need it. I have a great life, a wife who loves me, friends/family, a dece place to live, get to do a lot of cool shit I enjoy, and yet I find my career so damn depressing. Like it is just utterly pointless and sucky and yet I will need to carry on with it for 30-40 more years.

In the start of this new role, I certainly felt happier but I'm pretty much back to :disgust: phase and now actually making less money for significantly more stress and work.

:ohwell: :crang:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm Man, my give a damn is busted as usual on a Monday. All this talk of therapy has me thinking maybe I need it. I have a great life, a wife who loves me, friends/family, a dece place to live, get to do a lot of cool shit I enjoy, and yet I find my career so damn depressing. Like it is just utterly pointless and sucky and yet I will need to carry on with it for 30-40 more years.

In the start of this new role, I certainly felt happier but I'm pretty much back to :disgust: phase and now actually making less money for significantly more stress and work.

Work sucks, that why we get PAID to do. If it was fun it wouldn't have a $ figure associated with it. Hey man imagine all the people waking up and going to work to a McDonalds to serve angry customers every day. Things are good
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm Man, my give a damn is busted as usual on a Monday. All this talk of therapy has me thinking maybe I need it. I have a great life, a wife who loves me, friends/family, a dece place to live, get to do a lot of cool shit I enjoy, and yet I find my career so damn depressing. Like it is just utterly pointless and sucky and yet I will need to carry on with it for 30-40 more years.

Work sucks, that why we get PAID to do. If it was fun it wouldn't have a $ figure associated with it. Hey man imagine all the people waking up and going to work to a McDonalds to serve angry customers every day. Things are good
You are :notwrong: hence why I feel like maybe therapy would be beneficial. Like I get that on paper I am very well off on this front and yet I still am constantly :disgust: by it. It also causes an overarching feeling of how pointless my life is. I am a cog in a pretty pointless machine to make money to selfishly spend and that's pretty much the circle of life. I don't know why this bothers me, the same is true for nearly everyone in the USA.

:ohwell: