OT 21: DFD Giveth and DFD Taketh Away

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 am

It’s interesting because it’s just kind of in the middle of a residential area in Anaheim whereas the FL one was built on an endless swamp hence why it has so many more parks and whatnot.

If we have a kid or two, I’ll go to Disney one time, but that’s it :lolol: I’m hoping one more time in my life is it unless it’s free somehow, in which case, why not?

I did go twice with marching band, once in high school, once in college, and marched in their parade, which was actually pretty cool.
Playing a Tuba changes everything.
:notwrong:

I never really fit in with the University of Miami marching band people, though. I remember on that trip after playing in the parade. I just walked around Disney by myself, and it was one of the most depressing experiences of my life. The first couple of months in college, not knowing anyone was pretty lonely. It was neat to march on National TV, parents and friends would spot me watching games back at home. But I quit marching band after freshman year.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 pm

I never really fit in with the University of Miami marching band people, though. I remember on that trip after playing in the parade. I just walked around Disney by myself, and it was one of the most depressing experiences of my life. The first couple of months in college, not knowing anyone was pretty lonely. It was neat to march on National TV, parents and friends would spot me watching games back at home. But I quit marching band after freshman year.
Band geeks are interesting folks.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Aw, kind of a sad visual :foreveralone:

It didn't take you long to ditch that awkward ensemble :doe:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 pm

:hai:
Played 5 years from 8th through 12th grades and loved it. I'm still good friends with a couple doods from band. No marching band doe as we didn't have a football team in HS, so concert band and jazz band. Have many wonderful memories to this day,
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:38 pm

:tits: pointed out too, one part I find it truly interesting was Cars, roller coasters aren't my thing (I get motion sickness), but at least she doesn't go out of her way to see taylor swift and spend assload of money for tickets.

Speaking of which, when we came back to the hotel that night, I happen to catch the news about expanding the Disney in Anaheim. But the mayor did not like the idea cause it does include tearing down some housing surrounded by it.
It’s interesting because it’s just kind of in the middle of a residential area in Anaheim whereas the FL one was built on an endless swamp hence why it has so many more parks and whatnot.

If we have a kid or two, I’ll go to Disney one time, but that’s it :lolol: I’m hoping one more time in my life is it unless it’s free somehow, in which case, why not?

I did go twice with marching band, once in high school, once in college, and marched in their parade, which was actually pretty cool.
That's pretty cool when you partook in that parade.

:dat: which being said, it was built like in the 50's. Florida just re-evolutionized it. It's pretty much surrounded by a grid.
I will admit though, some parents who can't handle their kids or basically let kids running around does make :tits: rage. Especially when we were in line. She loves disney, I just support her happiness. Not to mention, I got my first sunburn of the year. Maybe let them when the kids gets old enough to appreciate, like when they're 11 and what not.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 pm

Played 5 years from 8th through 12th grades and loved it. I'm still good friends with a couple doods from band. No marching band doe as we didn't have a football team in HS, so concert band and jazz band. Have many wonderful memories to this day,
:fuckyeah:

I loved the experience overall as well, playing from 4th grade through graduating college. I actually really enjoyed marching band in high school, there were great friends, girls, some cool trips, and ultimately, scholarship money for it.

I have been taking a break on the band I play in here but I will definitely be back when I have a little bit more time/less stress.

Also still hang with a few people from high school band from time to time and my close college friends were also all Music Engineering majors who I see as much as I can, although we all live all over.

I'll actually be hanging with my old college roommate up in CT in a few weeks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 pm

Aw, kind of a sad visual :foreveralone:

It didn't take you long to ditch that awkward ensemble :doe:
Maybe why almost 20 years later I'm still not really a fan :lolol:

But I think it's the crowds and prices that keep me away. I truly admire the production quality and management of the parks, but my idea of fun is hanging in the woods on a trail or on a relatively uncrowded beach, get me in nature. I have to deal with hoards of people at airports and talk to strangers all day for my job, I'm good on all that.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 am
wap wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 pm

I loved the experience overall as well, playing from 4th grade through graduating college. I actually really enjoyed marching band in high school, there were great friends, girls, some cool trips, and ultimately, scholarship money for it.

I have been taking a break on the band I play in here but I will definitely be back when I have a little bit more time/less stress.

Also still hang with a few people from high school band from time to time and my close college friends were also all Music Engineering majors who I see as much as I can, although we all live all over.

:impressive: on the bolded. Did you play anything else, or was it all tuba and, I assume, Sousaphone when you marched? I played cornet (was first chair for 3 years) and dabbled a bit with baritone in class, but I preferred using my cornet mouthpiece in it, lol.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:54 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:45 am

:impressive: on the bolded. Did you play anything else, or was it all tuba and, I assume, Sousaphone when you marched? I played cornet (was first chair for 3 years) and dabbled a bit with baritone in class, but I preferred using my cornet mouthpiece in it, lol.

I actually started on trumpet, in 6th grade when middle school started, they expanded the instrumentation a bit. They offered me tuba as I was the biggest kid playing a brass instrument. My parents were all about it as the school provided a tuba whereas they would've had to buy me a trumpet.

First sousaphone experience was 6th grade, we played the National Anthem at a game at our AAA baseball team. At that time, I couldn't lift it over my head and the director had to place it on me... later went on to play sousa in high school and college marching band. I have no room or need for one, but I'd love to own a sousaphone for the lolz.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:19 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:54 am

I actually started on trumpet, in 6th grade when middle school started, they expanded the instrumentation a bit. They offered me tuba as I was the biggest kid playing a brass instrument. My parents were all about it as the school provided a tuba whereas they would've had to buy me a trumpet.

First sousaphone experience was 6th grade, we played the National Anthem at a game at our AAA baseball team. At that time, I couldn't lift it over my head and the director had to place it on me... later went on to play sousa in high school and college marching band. I have no room or need for one, but I'd love to own a sousaphone for the lolz.
:neat:

Our high school thankfully provided horns for students to take home and practice on. We just had to buy our own mouthpiece, which is fine. That's cool that you got to play the Anthem for you AAA team! Must have been a fun experience.

And :lolol: that you couldn't put on your sousaphone! For some reason that reminded me of that old Woody Allen movie, Take the Money and Run, where he played cello in a marching band. He carried a chair along with his cello and every few feet he'd sit down, play a few notes, then pick up the chair and run to catch up with the band, then sit down and play again, etc. :lolol:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Nursery is 99% complete. Wallpaper is finished. Dresser, crib, rocking chair, and rug are in. Crib needs a mattress because we didn’t want to use the one that came with the used crib, but that’s about it. Just keep stock piling diapers from Costco for the next several months.

Her parents want to buy us a stroller. Someone on here mentioned using UPPAbaby, Michelle likes how it looks/feels, and her parents like buying expensive shit so they’re getting us that. We doing with their Vista V2 system, and just ordered their Aria infant car seat. We’ll grab a second base for the car seat so the bases can stay in each of our cars and we can just uncle the seat and move it as needed. Feels good to be knocking all this shit out early.

golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:53 pm Nursery is 99% complete. Wallpaper is finished. Dresser, crib, rocking chair, and rug are in. Crib needs a mattress because we didn’t want to use the one that came with the used crib, but that’s about it. Just keep stock piling diapers from Costco for the next several months.

Her parents want to buy us a stroller. Someone on here mentioned using UPPAbaby, Michelle likes how it looks/feels, and her parents like buying expensive shit so they’re getting us that. We doing with their Vista V2 system, and just ordered their Aria infant car seat. We’ll grab a second base for the car seat so the bases can stay in each of our cars and we can just uncle the seat and move it as needed. Feels good to be knocking all this shit out early.

this is a pro move
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

i wanna see this mini baby seat set up... FYI... i am not using a crib now at 7 months... the bassinet is still a go to.

Make sure you get a changing table and a diaper pale
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:02 pm i wanna see this mini baby seat set up... FYI... i am not using a crib now at 7 months... the bassinet is still a go to.

I’ll put the car seat in and take some pics next week when it delivers :thumbsup:

The Vista V2 they’re getting us comes with a bassinet, and we’re fully expecting to use that for a long while.

Changing table/pad for the dresser and something to dispose of the diapers in are both in our registry. Baby shower in June, so still gives us time to buy those things if someone doesn’t snag them off our registry for us.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:02 pm i wanna see this mini baby seat set up... FYI... i am not using a crib now at 7 months... the bassinet is still a go to.

I’ll put the car seat in and take some pics next week when it delivers :thumbsup:

The Vista V2 they’re getting us comes with a bassinet, and we’re fully expecting to use that for a long while.

Changing table/pad for the dresser and something to dispose of the diapers in are both in our registry. Baby shower in June, so still gives us time to buy those things if someone doesn’t snag them off our registry for us.
There is a bassinet for the stroller which IMO is pointless. And there is bassinet for the house... two different things... but I am sure your woman is on that
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:41 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:26 pm

There is a bassinet for the stroller which IMO is pointless. And there is bassinet for the house... two different things... but I am sure your woman is on that
Oh. I will make sure she knows that.. I think we were both under the impression that the stroller bassinet clips into the house bassinet frame as well.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice setup :sawce: , so excited for you and the missus. It'll be the biggest shit show you can imagine, but I think you're good to manage like a pro
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm Nice setup :sawce: , so excited for you and the missus. It'll be the biggest shit show you can imagine, but I think you're good to manage like a pro
Thanks dude! We feel weirdly confident based on both of our experience with babies, but yeah, I’m fully expecting for that to get flipped on its head when we’re the primary caregivers and not just older siblings/baby sitters/etc..
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:34 pm
Tar wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:28 pm Nice setup :sawce: , so excited for you and the missus. It'll be the biggest shit show you can imagine, but I think you're good to manage like a pro
Thanks dude! We feel weirdly confident based on both of our experience with babies, but yeah, I’m fully expecting for that to get flipped on its head when we’re the primary caregivers and not just older siblings/baby sitters/etc..
I apologize. Girl or boy?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 pm

Girl. Hit me with those girl-dad hot tips.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I feel like baby management and bodybuilding is simular in some ways. Being good with scheduling/routines, dietary needs, pain tolerance, and endurance are keys to success with both.
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:51 pm I feel like baby management and bodybuilding is simular in some ways. Being good with scheduling/routines, dietary needs, pain tolerance, and endurance are keys to success with both.
Oh for sure! The bodybuilding regimen will have to take a back seat for a while, but that will also force me to streamline things like meal prepping and be even more efficient with my time.

Rough timeline that I’m expecting/hoping for:
Months 0-3: no gym trips.. all training done downstairs on the smith machine.
Months 4-6: planet fitness.. can be there or back from there in under 10 minutes.
Months 6+: back to my gym.. luckily several people there bring their babies regularly in strollers, strapped to their chests/back, etc. Nobody complains since we all know how important the gym is to us and just think it’s badass that they’re in there with their baby vs not being in there at all. So once she’s old enough to cruise over there with me, the gym will double as my time to work out, spend time with baby, and give Michelle a few hours of peace and quiet for her to do whatever the fuck she feels like.

Ideally that last stage will happen earlier, but I’m trying to be realistic about both how it will be bringing her with me and how Michelle will feel about me bringing her with me.
Desertbreh

SAWCE wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:49 pm
Tar wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:51 pm I feel like baby management and bodybuilding is simular in some ways. Being good with scheduling/routines, dietary needs, pain tolerance, and endurance are keys to success with both.
Oh for sure! The bodybuilding regimen will have to take a back seat for a while, but that will also force me to streamline things like meal prepping and be even more efficient with my time.

Months 4-6: planet fitness.. can be there or back from there in under 10 minutes.
Months 6+: back to my gym.. luckily several people there bring their babies regularly in strollers, strapped to their chests/back, etc. Nobody complains since we all know how important the gym is to us and just think it’s badass that they’re in there with their baby vs not being in there at all. So once she’s old enough to cruise over there with me, the gym will double as my time to work out, spend time with baby, and give Michelle a few hours of peace and quiet for her to do whatever the fuck she feels like.

Ideally that last stage will happen earlier, but I’m trying to be realistic about both how it will be bringing her with me and how Michelle will feel about me bringing her with me.
Ha. That's pretty cool.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:28 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:49 pm

Ha. That's pretty cool.
Right? Not something I would have expected at a “hardcore” gym, but it makes total sense.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:33 pm

:ayfkm: the kindergarten teacher will decide