Dash-cam questions

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

So, it’s getting to the point around where I live that it’s about time to get a dash-cam for my car, and probably the wife’s too. Looking for recommendations on brands/features to look for, as well as what to avoid in looking for one.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

:cheese: has got a Garmin Mini dashcam put in by Richard when he owned it, solid video quality. Tiny size means it hides really nicely behind the rear view mirror. Downside is it really struggles with the Florida heat. I hear it kills SD cards with the heat and there has been a couple occasions where it just failed to turn on with the car until I unplugged it for a few minutes.

It might be related to the parking mode according to some things I’ve seen online, but also the tiny size just means it has basically no surface area to dissipate heat from.

Thinking about swapping it for one of the bigger Garmin cams. The mobile app is intuitive and the wiring for the parking mode power is already there
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I’m using the VIOFO A129 the vid quality is insanely good, however it has a really bad user interface… for the app etc. it’s clunky and takes forever to download. But … does that really matter? You only need it in emergencies
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

This is the one I think I'm gonna go with soon:

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Dual-Lens ... 111&sr=1-3
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:38 pm So, it’s getting to the point around where I live that it’s about time to get a dash-cam for my car, and probably the wife’s too. Looking for recommendations on brands/features to look for, as well as what to avoid in looking for one.
Bad drivers? Crime? Dirty Cops?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:28 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:38 pm So, it’s getting to the point around where I live that it’s about time to get a dash-cam for my car, and probably the wife’s too. Looking for recommendations on brands/features to look for, as well as what to avoid in looking for one.
Bad drivers. Every time I leave the house, I'm almost hit at least twice a day. Usually it's either people tailgating (can't see their headlights they're so close), sideswiping me cause they're not paying attention or people just weaving in and out of traffic because they're in such a hurry that they almost clip the front end. Then, there's just the overall distracted drivers around that fit into all the above categories and almost cause massive pileups.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:28 pm

Bad drivers. Every time I leave the house, I'm almost hit at least twice a day. Usually it's either people tailgating (can't see their headlights they're so close), sideswiping me cause they're not paying attention or people just weaving in and out of traffic because they're in such a hurry that they almost clip the front end. Then, there's just the overall distracted drivers around that fit into all the above categories and almost cause massive pileups.
Where is this place? (I know, it's tempting to respond "America")........just that sounds pretty bad.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:45 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm

Where is this place? (I know, it's tempting to respond "America")........just that sounds pretty bad.
Missouri, just outside St. Louis. Lots of people around here just in a hurry, trying to intimidate others on the road by tailgating or just generally not paying attention. My typical day when running the kid to the sitter or the other to daycare: Leaving the house, people blocking traffic and/or my view making me either have to sit there longer than I should, or make a blind turn into/across traffic to get out of my neighborhood, people sipping coffee or playing on their phones while weaving in and out of traffic just to get one car further ahead at the light, cutting across multiple lanes of traffic with no signal to make the exit ramp to the highway.

Worst I've had it someone coming off the highway, blowing the no right on red and almost (like an inch from me) taking the front end of the Colorado off. The other day, had someone ride my ass in a Suburban, to only cut the Trash truck off in the other lane, ride the persons ass that was next to me (neither of us could go anywhere) and then cut the wheel left across 4 lanes of traffic to turn into a Burger King and almost cause an accident at that light. Even had a guy in a new Mercedes SUV reading the paper on a tablet while letting the lane keep assist keep him in his lane at 45 mph instead actually paying attention to what he's doing. More and more people are running red lights here, and I guess I'm just getting paranoid and want the peace of mind/protection that they can offer if something where to happen to help with insurance and stuff
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DF8MQX1?re ... WW9KB53F3F

This is what me and :narc: have. Used it for 2 years without any issues. Best thing is you can easily see your clips off your phone from its app in case for a quick evidence. It was around 80$ when I got it. No regrets. Comes with sd card, plactic pry tool for trims to hide to cable (or semi-hard wire). It isn't noticeable from the outside. Depending on where you would mount it.

Edit: on goroav.com its $72. Dont get it from amazon

Edit 2: roav c1, not s1 as shown on amazon, but looks exactly the same
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed May 25, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Devilchrono wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:57 pm

Missouri, just outside St. Louis. Lots of people around here just in a hurry, trying to intimidate others on the road by tailgating or just generally not paying attention. My typical day when running the kid to the sitter or the other to daycare: Leaving the house, people blocking traffic and/or my view making me either have to sit there longer than I should, or make a blind turn into/across traffic to get out of my neighborhood, people sipping coffee or playing on their phones while weaving in and out of traffic just to get one car further ahead at the light, cutting across multiple lanes of traffic with no signal to make the exit ramp to the highway.

Worst I've had it someone coming off the highway, blowing the no right on red and almost (like an inch from me) taking the front end of the Colorado off. The other day, had someone ride my ass in a Suburban, to only cut the Trash truck off in the other lane, ride the persons ass that was next to me (neither of us could go anywhere) and then cut the wheel left across 4 lanes of traffic to turn into a Burger King and almost cause an accident at that light. Even had a guy in a new Mercedes SUV reading the paper on a tablet while letting the lane keep assist keep him in his lane at 45 mph instead actually paying attention to what he's doing. More and more people are running red lights here, and I guess I'm just getting paranoid and want the peace of mind/protection that they can offer if something where to happen to help with insurance and stuff
Seems reasonable!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

This. Ive been noticing this in my neck of the woods. I live in the DC metro area, known to be one of the top 5 worst places in the country. That being said, before covid I rarely saw people weaving out of traffic or probably once a week at best. We also do have lot of slow and hesitant drivers as well where it can be :rage: infurioting at times. Now since covid, every single time on the highway I atleast see someone in a corolla or an altima driving like they're playing forza getting much near misses as they can. It has gotten ridicilous. Same thing for the phone and the way people react to it when they get called out. I was walking in DC, I saw this girl holding traffic being the first on a green light. She was on the phone, stood there for good 15 seconds. I hollered at her to get off the phone after she already got honked like 10 times and told me to go fuck yourself which I blew a kiss in return.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:17 pm

This. Ive been noticing this in my neck of the woods. I live in the DC metro area, known to be one of the top 5 worst places in the country. That being said, before covid I rarely saw people weaving out of traffic or probably once a week at best. We also do have lot of slow and hesitant drivers as well where it can be :rage: infurioting at times. Now since covid, every single time on the highway I atleast see someone in a corolla or an altima driving like they're playing forza getting much near misses as they can. It has gotten ridicilous. Same thing for the phone and the way people react to it when they get called out. I was walking in DC, I saw this girl holding traffic being the first on a green light. She was on the phone, stood there for good 15 seconds. I hollered at her to get off the phone after she already got honked like 10 times and told me to go fuck yourself which I blew a kiss in return.
If everyone could follow these simple rules road rage could be respectable again.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:27 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:17 pm

If everyone could follow these simple rules road rage could be respectable again.
My :tits: blows kisses to people during road rage. I think it's cuter if a chick does it, its an easy way to get shot in Missouri if a dude does it to another dude :lol:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.