DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 pm

This one is a little shitty, I'm new at this filming myself thing.

The main issue I see is that I'm looking up in the mirror, otherwise, looks pretty :notbad: , but what do you experts think?
Looks good to me. I struggle with maintaining a neutral spine and not looking up at the mirror too. I've been better about it since Apex called me out on it a while back, but my natural tendency is to look at myself.
With good reason. :hubba:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 pm

Looks good to me. I struggle with maintaining a neutral spine and not looking up at the mirror too. I've been better about it since Apex called me out on it a while back, but my natural tendency is to look at myself.
With good reason. :hubba:
:gaydance:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

@dgriff, honestly they don't look bad. It'll be easier to do an analysis as the weight gets higher/there's more of a struggle.

My only guess is that when you first hurt it, you either let out tension or shifted position when trying to grind out a rep. It happened to me before too. :iono:
The panda hath arrived.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Jaxper wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:26 pm @dgriff, honestly they don't look bad. It'll be easier to do an analysis as the weight gets higher/there's more of a struggle.

My only guess is that when you first hurt it, you either let out tension or shifted position when trying to grind out a rep. It happened to me before too. :iono:
Yep, I let the bar rotate while using a reverse grip trying to grind out a rep. I'll post more in a few weeks when the weight is a bit tougher.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 pm
Jaxper wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:26 pm @dgriff, honestly they don't look bad. It'll be easier to do an analysis as the weight gets higher/there's more of a struggle.

Yep, I let the bar rotate while using a reverse grip trying to grind out a rep. I'll post more in a few weeks when the weight is a bit tougher.
Try using straps once the weight gets too heavy for overhand grip?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 pm

:word:

Not planning on reverse grip again... Straps could be an occasional option.

I am going to add 20 pounds per week to my 5X5 for a while... I'll probably go back to 531 around November.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:30 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 pm

I am going to add 20 pounds per week to my 5X5 for a while... I'll probably go back to 531 around November.
Do some exercises for grip strength in the mean time while you build your deadlift back up so that you can go heavier without needing the straps.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Do some exercises for grip strength in the mean time while you build your deadlift back up so that you can go heavier without needing the straps.
My grip is pretty :notbad: from DL, Pull ups/Chin ups, and hanging knee raises that I do often.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 pm

My grip is pretty :notbad: from DL, Pull ups/Chin ups, and hanging knee raises that I do often.
:word: mine is okay, but I have a hard time holding more than 315 for more than a few reps. Been trying to work on it though. I hang from a pull-up bar and add weight with a weight belt. Up to adding 55lbs and doing 3 sets of 30 second hangs.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 am

Let's see em

The main issue I see is that I'm looking up in the mirror, otherwise, looks pretty :notbad: , but what do you experts think?
Couple of suggestions after watching these.
Like :sawce: mentioned, keep your neck neutral and don't look up at the mirror. Is there a non-mirrored wall you can look at?
I'd bring your stance in an inch or two, maybe start with bringing your heels in and keep the toes pointed out roughly 30-45 degrees.
Don't breathe at the top. Keep a valsalva all the way until the bar is on the ground again.

If you don't want to do a mixed grip, I'd recommend working on a hook grip. It hurts like hell depending on the bar knurling, but is crazy effective. And bring some chalk with you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Like :sawce: mentioned, keep your neck neutral and don't look up at the mirror. Is there a non-mirrored wall you can look at?
I'd bring your stance in an inch or two, maybe start with bringing your heels in and keep the toes pointed out roughly 30-45 degrees.
Don't breathe at the top. Keep a valsalva all the way until the bar is on the ground again.

If you don't want to do a mixed grip, I'd recommend working on a hook grip. It hurts like hell depending on the bar knurling, but is crazy effective. And bring some chalk with you.
I'm def with you on the neck, first thing I noticed when watching... I am pretty much in a different gym every time, I go to YMCAs now, wherever I happen to be. The one here at home actually doesn't have mirrors. I was also trying to look at my form and thus fucking up my form :derp:

Noted on the breathing/stance. Thanks for taking a look.
Apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm def with you on the neck, first thing I noticed when watching... I am pretty much in a different gym every time, I go to YMCAs now, wherever I happen to be. The one here at home actually doesn't have mirrors. I was also trying to look at my form and thus fucking up my form :derp:

Noted on the breathing/stance. Thanks for taking a look.
No problem! I noticed that I get all messed up with form when mirrors are around. I'm used to not seeing anything so when I do I go all :derp: too.
Apex

This seemed pertinent to the current discussion.
http://startingstrength.com/training/de ... djustments
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Took the day off today because my entire body is a bit more sore than I would like. Tomorrow should be a cardio and accessory day. Light shoulders and core work with some biking.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Had a good week, hopefully I stay on the wagon.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

VIDEO OMITTED

VIDEO OMITTED

Definitely agree with the hook grip suggestion! I've been using it since I switched to WL and it's been great. As apex said, it's definitely not comfortable when you first start but you get used to it pretty quickly. Start with using it for all your warm up sets and then switch to mixed/straps on your top sets until your thumbs are used to it.
The panda hath arrived.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I will try out dat hook grip this week... I've used it before a bit but never really got comfortable... #bitch.

Recovery of the back continues to go well. I did squats, 5X5 at 185 yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting back into the real weight category.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

i got into the gym yesterday for a bit since my foot and ankle are doing much better. Did some squats, some bench, some rows, then i peaced out casue it was busy af and i couldnt do my free weight stuff.

Also, a dude showed up with REALLY bad BO, it was time to :nope:
brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:34 am I will try out dat hook grip this week... I've used it before a bit but never really got comfortable... #bitch.

Recovery of the back continues to go well. I did squats, 5X5 at 185 yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting back into the real weight category.
Brian Alsruhe posted his video. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm sure it's just as good as both his bench and squat cheat sheet vids.

The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Felt like shit again yesterday. So weak from the food poisoning this weekend. COuldn't pull 430 for a single rep on deads. Gonna see how shoulders and chest go tonight, and if they're bad too, I may take the rest of the week off to finish recovering. Still don't have much of an appetite.
Desertbreh

This is a kid at the germ I go to, maybe 5'10? Can't weigh more than 185. Dude is all corded muscle though. Squats 405 X5 with perfect form, just watched him pull 440 yesterday. I almost asked for his autograph.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Hurt my knee the other night at hockey when I was tripped. Any jerking or twisting motion, and squatting, hurts it. Guess I have to take some time off from lifting. :( :( :(
The panda hath arrived.
SAWCE

Stomach is still hurting on and off pretty bad, so I think it's more than just food poisoning.. been getting lots of weird muscle aches and stuff. Possibly norovirus? Gonna take the rest of the week off from the gym to try to heal up and then I'll hit it hard next week.
Desertbreh

Jaxper wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:39 pm Hurt my knee the other night at hockey when I was tripped. Any jerking or twisting motion, and squatting, hurts it. Guess I have to take some time off from hockey. :like:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 pm Stomach is still hurting on and off pretty bad, so I think it's more than just food poisoning.. been getting lots of weird muscle aches and stuff. Possibly norovirus? Gonna take the rest of the week off from the gym to try to heal up and then I'll hit it hard next week.
I think this is a side effect of the sauce and your :flaccid: is shrinking. The muscle aches are coming from them contracting to pull your peen in. :yikes:
The panda hath arrived.