Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:29 am Yeah that's true. The transmission is the make-or-break decision point in a lot of cars I drive, and ends up mattering more to me than the engine itself. I hear the CVT behaves well, steps fake "gears" at WOT, etc. It's smooth too, my friend's Impreza is really nice in that regard as a passenger at least. But I haven't driven it so I have no idea if its frustrating to actually drive.
The CVT in the Forester XT was pretty decent when my wife test drove one before we bought her RDX. Put it in Sport # and it imitated actual gear ratios and was really responsive. The CVT in my friend's 2018 Crosstrek felt like garbage, though. Drive it like a :derp: and it behaves awkwardly and drones on, drive it aggressively and it holds ratios way too long, almost like a VW in its cocaine-fueled sport mode.

I thought the transmission in the CX-5 was the best of all those we drove. Always in the right gear no matter how you drove it. The most impressive moment to me was when I exited the highway and approached a roundabout - I hucked it in at a decent speed and the trans held its gear, so that when it came time to exit the motor was right in its powerband and didn't have to downshift again. Whatever algorithms they used a pretty damn :impressive:. Perfect blend of a comfortable daily and something that doesn't suck to drive, IMO, but I would 100% refuse to own a cute ute.
:notbad: I just don't like the way the CX5 looks and how hard it depreciates.
Dang, sucks about the crosstrek CVT. When we were in Seattle one of Lisa's college friends drove us to the airport in their CVT Forester XT. It was alright. Certainly punchy enough. Rode bad.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 am

If it had something like a 1.8T with 180 HP I'd just go get one. It's rather ideal for me. I don't think I'd be happy going that far down in power though. A crosstrek with the AC running is likely pathetically slow.

I should probably go test one regardless. Listed 0-60 and 45-65 passing is about the same as the Rav4 I rented which I didn't have an issue with.
They are decent cases, :whocares: if they are fast not like you’re going racing.
Some power is necessary for freeway merging. Onramps are very short in Philly and half the time someone stops at the end of it because merging is scary. Outside of that yeah more power isn't necessary.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 am
coogles wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am

The CVT in the Forester XT was pretty decent when my wife test drove one before we bought her RDX. Put it in Sport # and it imitated actual gear ratios and was really responsive. The CVT in my friend's 2018 Crosstrek felt like garbage, though. Drive it like a :derp: and it behaves awkwardly and drones on, drive it aggressively and it holds ratios way too long, almost like a VW in its cocaine-fueled sport mode.

I thought the transmission in the CX-5 was the best of all those we drove. Always in the right gear no matter how you drove it. The most impressive moment to me was when I exited the highway and approached a roundabout - I hucked it in at a decent speed and the trans held its gear, so that when it came time to exit the motor was right in its powerband and didn't have to downshift again. Whatever algorithms they used a pretty damn :impressive:. Perfect blend of a comfortable daily and something that doesn't suck to drive, IMO, but I would 100% refuse to own a cute ute.
Dang, sucks about the crosstrek CVT. When we were in Seattle one of Lisa's college friends drove us to the airport in their CVT Forester XT. It was alright. Certainly punchy enough. Rode bad.
Drive one for yourself. I doubt there is anything out of the ordinary with it.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 am

I'll put it on the list to check out.
Still curious about the new Rav4 coming up. Not thrilled with 1st model year ownership idea though.
Also keep in mind, I'm in no rush. First priority is getting Lisa a new car, her VW lease gets turned in next month.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I liked the CX5 when I was in one. GT with the [user not found] discount is pretty nice.

I'll have more seat time in one soon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:21 am
Still curious about the new Rav4 coming up. Not thrilled with 1st model year ownership idea though.
Also keep in mind, I'm in no rush. First priority is getting Lisa a new car, her VW lease gets turned in next month.
You sticking with vag? If not lease a box that offers the best payments. I was shopping these not too long ago.. :dill: s are strong because it is the hottest market segment with everyone competing for :derp: s
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:15 am They are decent cases, :whocares: if they are fast not like you’re going racing.
Some power is necessary for freeway merging. Onramps are very short in Philly and half the time someone stops at the end of it because merging is scary. Outside of that yeah more power isn't necessary.
676 to 76 was scary when I had a crosstrek loaner.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:29 am

You sticking with vag? If not lease a box that offers the best payments. I was shopping these not too long ago.. :dill: s are strong because it is the hottest market segment with everyone competing for :derp: s
Lisa doesn't want another Tiguan. Maybe a Golf? She doesn't really have the money for a lease though. Requirements are under $200 a month all in, minimal down. So we're going to be looking at ~$10k cars.
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
676 to 76 was scary when I had a crosstrek loaner.

Sent from the Beer Depository
That's a problem area. Same with the South St and Girard ramps off 76. Very common to see cars fully stopped at the very end of the ramp.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:32 am

Lisa doesn't want another Tiguan. Maybe a Golf? She doesn't really have the money for a lease though. Requirements are under $200 a month all in, minimal down. So we're going to be looking at ~$10k cars.
$200 a month all in... damn that's tough...
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm Lisa doesn't want another Tiguan. Maybe a Golf? She doesn't really have the money for a lease though. Requirements are under $200 a month all in, minimal down. So we're going to be looking at ~$10k cars.
There are usually some bargain basement lease deals to be had in the $200/mo range. Base Civic LX would probably be really close. Fit could for sure be had for $200/mo.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm

For something brand new, sure. For something used? We'll find a car.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:31 pm

$200 all in, with no money down, is rough. It costs a fair amount of money to own any car. A used elantra would work...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

All-in for real, as in counting gas+insurance+reg+tax+maintenance? I guess if you don't drive much then gas and maintenance are cheap, but still it's quite a challenge to get under $200/mo all-in if you don't work on your own cars.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 pm

All-in for real, as in counting gas+insurance+reg+tax+maintenance? I guess if you don't drive much then gas and maintenance are cheap, but still it's quite a challenge to get under $200/mo all-in if you don't work on your own cars.
It's double that... i think he just means payment.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:35 pm

$200 all in, with no money down, is rough. It costs a fair amount of money to own any car. A used elantra would work...
$200/mo for payment, tax, title, license, etc. Excluding repair costs, gas, and depreciation :rolleyes:

The :math: puts her at about a $10k car depending on how much she wants to put down. So that's the price range we'll be looking in. Plenty of used Foresters, Rav4's, Priuses, Elantra Tourings, etc in that range.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 pm

:dat: they're separate line items in her budget. Line item for "car payment" is $200 tops.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:29 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:21 pm Lisa doesn't want another Tiguan. Maybe a Golf? She doesn't really have the money for a lease though. Requirements are under $200 a month all in, minimal down. So we're going to be looking at ~$10k cars.
There are usually some bargain basement lease deals to be had in the $200/mo range. Base Civic LX would probably be really close. Fit could for sure be had for $200/mo.
Thought about the Fit. Possible. Philly city lease tax is 10%. So that eats quite a bit into the budget. She'd have to put money down to lease a fit under the cap. :iono: up to her.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 pm

:dat: they're separate line items in her budget. Line item for "car payment" is $200 tops.
84 month loan at $199/mo on a :turboyaris: with $20k down.
troyguitar

I'd ordinarily suggest a used mazda3 hatch in that range since mazdas depreciate like BMWs, but realistically it is terribly inefficient in its packaging and she isn't going to care about the fact that it drives better than most stuff. A city-dwelling business owner is pretty much the perfect use case for a Fit. SUV cargo space while fitting in sub-compact parking spaces and costing $15k new.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:53 pm I'd ordinarily suggest a used mazda3 hatch in that range since mazdas depreciate like BMWs, but realistically it is terribly inefficient in its packaging and she isn't going to care about the fact that it drives better than most stuff. A city-dwelling business owner is pretty much the perfect use case for a Fit. SUV cargo space while fitting in sub-compact parking spaces and costing $15k new.
Yep Fit and Prius are high on the list for me. Maybe Hyundai Elantra Touring. If she wants an SUV thing a Rav4 or maybe Forester.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Kia Rondo
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

But if the budget is THAT tight, is car ownershit really necessary? Doesn't she have a better "commute" than you do?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm But if the budget is THAT tight, is car ownershit really necessary? Doesn't she have a better "commute" than you do?
She runs a business. Car is necessary.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Used Fit seems like a great option.
:therapist: