Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 4:31 pm

Don't fuck with it unless you're having tire wear issues. Alignments are very difficult to do right, unless you find an epic shop that is run by racer bros.
The more flatbrims at the shop the better. Monster Energy flatbrims at that.
Gotta get that camber so that the tire :tucks: into the fender wheel just :right: and the fender rests on the wheel lip.

<3

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Gotta get that camber so that the tire :tucks: into the fender wheel just :right: and the fender rests on the wheel lip.

<3

I just hope that one day, all these dipshits doing this to these cars come to the realization that they are fucking morons and a spectacle that makes everyone else point and laugh. I hope that day is soon though, so this shit just stops.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 6:22 pm

<3
I just hope that one day, all these dipshits doing this to these cars come to the realization that they are fucking morons and a spectacle that makes everyone else point and laugh. I hope that day is soon though, so this shit just stops.
Nah... in the 90s we had neon and fartpipes, and giant spoilerzzz
Now we have this...

Who knows what the future will bring....

History shows us over and over again.
1. Stock cars almost always bring the most money
2. The engineers are not sitting around with the thumbs up their ass
3. Unless you're someone like Johnathan ward you likely won't improve your vehicle over what the fucktory already did for you.
4. This type of modding will always happen in the cheaper more accessible vehicles first, because the pea-brained owners want to be UNIQUE BRO
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

<3

Tukt af
Saw a Navigator with some insane negative front camber. Either mad respect.... or broken shit. Not sure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

<3

:gag:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

<3

:dat:
Nahgonnahappen :doe: :disgust:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

wap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

:disgust:
Johnny_P

Took the rally car on it's first road trip this weekend. Went to central PA to ride bikes with some friends on dirt roads. It was about 160 miles of driving each way, 3 hours or so, mostly on highways with a few paved mountain passes and a gravel road to his house.

This thing is :notbad: on the highway for extended time. The turnpike is maintained better than anything in Philly, and all the roads in central PA were in good condition so it was totally fine. Relatively smooth. Kind of loud because I had the bike in the back and the seats down, if the seats were up I would have had no complaints at all. The car averaged 26 MPG despite me driving 80 MPH and romping on it in the mountains. Pulls hard on the highway from any gear. Fun exhaust sounds and a constant burble in the background that I didn't find annoying. Downsides are the road noise which I mentioned was due to the rear seat being down, the crap stereo, and short lower cushions on the seats. Extended cushions would have been nice.

It rained while I was driving both ways which was annoying. On winding mountain roads in the rain, you have to turn traction control to track mode, otherwise it interferes entirely too much and causes the car to feel like an understeer-prone GTI. With it off, the car was much better behaved. I've noticed this behavior in the snow as well. So lower traction environments let the magic diffs work the traction out, and leave the computers out of it.

Ride was pretty good overall, got a bit bouncy a few times but overall fine even on gravel roads. I think I need an alignment because I hit a pavement lip pretty hard in King of Prussia and bottomed out the suspension which was fucking :rage: because I was only going 30 MPH. This was a concrete onramp transitioning to newly paved asphalt. Amazingly no bent wheels though.

Which brings me to a bit of a rant. The roads around me are just complete trash. Total garbage. Until you get out to the turnpike or northeast extension. Even the repaired roads are complete shit because we don't hold the contractors accountable to do an acceptable job. In Philly, stuff they paved 2 years ago is starting to crumble because the contractor stiffed the city and put down 1" less material than they were contracted to do. So everyone is up in arms about this, but look... the city accepted the work, right? It's the street department's fault. Because nobody oversees the work and nobody checks the quality of work. Completely pathetic. Meanwhile, bumfuck PA, which collects $140/year in taxes on my friend's 40 acre property, has great roads that are smooth and well kept.

So ultimately my car is pretty great. But it's frustrating because it's so hard to have fun driving anywhere in the greater metro areas of our large cities, including Philly, due to not only traffic (which is what it is, will be a pain in any car), but also because of the complete shit roads.

We packed the bikes on my buddy's car the one day and headed to a parking lot in the middle of a park. Had to drive over some mountains on gravel roads. It was just a shitty old Corolla but we came pretty close to high centering it a few times. My STI wouldn't have been able to do that drive, despite the roads being pretty tame. We passed a few campgrounds and I thought damn that would be fun to visit but :nope: can't do that in my car. And really, can't use my car for family style trips with the dog anyway because she gets sick because of the bouncy/choppy ride over our garbage roads.

Starting to get actual :plac: thoughts. It's Image :plac: though because I truly love this car, I just can't enjoy it around here. But something with a smoother ride, less to no performance orientation, ground clearance for very light offroading to explore areas or take a weekend and get away. I mean... I was near some of the best driving roads in PA, and I didn't drive them. Not because I didn't want to, but because I spent all my time riding my bike and having a complete BLAST. It's truly what I enjoy doing. Driving is secondary to that for me.

max225

Cool pics ! About the corolla, I mean nothing new here. Kind of how you saw it since day Juan. A more utilitarian hatchback would make more sense but not be fun to drive. But at some point you just got to figure out if you even care, especially considering you enjoy other things more.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am Cool pics ! About the corolla, I mean nothing new here. Kind of how you saw it since day Juan. A more utilitarian hatchback would make more sense but not be fun to drive. But at some point you just got to figure out if you even care, especially considering you enjoy other things more.
Yeah I kind of got this car as an experiment and knew I wouldn't be keeping it too long. I think I'm just over all the bullshit that comes with having a performance oriented car on crap roads and heavy traffic and constant stop and go. Having a fun car that you can never have fun with isn't super fun. I enjoy my drive to work most days even though it's low speed stop and go, but do I need a $35k performance car to do that? I enjoyed this bike weekend far more, and I enjoy not only riding my bike but camping and hiking and whatnot more than going fast on back roads in my car. I don't drive to the trailheads around here because traffic is horribad and it's annoying to crawl at 0-5 MPH with a stickshift. I hardly ever go on a :stig: drive because it takes forever to get anywhere fun to drive, and I'd rather spend that time on my bikes or with the pup anyway. A fun drive is a full day event around here...
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am Cool pics ! About the corolla, I mean nothing new here. Kind of how you saw it since day Juan. A more utilitarian hatchback would make more sense but not be fun to drive. But at some point you just got to figure out if you even care, especially considering you enjoy other things more.
Yeah I kind of got this car as an experiment and knew I wouldn't be keeping it too long. I think I'm just over all the bullshit that comes with having a performance oriented car on crap roads and heavy traffic and constant stop and go. Having a fun car that you can never have fun with isn't super fun. I enjoy my drive to work most days even though it's low speed stop and go, but do I need a $35k performance car to do that? I enjoyed this bike weekend far more, and I enjoy not only riding my bike but camping and hiking and whatnot more than going fast on back roads in my car. I don't drive to the trailheads around here because traffic is horribad and it's annoying to crawl at 0-5 MPH with a stickshift. I hardly ever go on a :stig: drive because it takes forever to get anywhere fun to drive, and I'd rather spend that time on my bikes or with the pup anyway. A fun drive is a full day event around here...
I mean I don’t see why selling the sti would be a bad idea?! Resale is good, used car market is still on fire. So why not ?

Get something that is a bit on the tamer side and call it a day. But when you get nostalgic about burbles or whatever you gotta remember all the other shit that goes with it.

Sometimes I get nostalgic about some of my past cars because it’s easy to remember the good and forget the bad that goes with it
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 am
This sums up why I barely drive the :poorvette: If I could only have one vehicle, that would not be it.

It's sad, but reality.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I saw a Crosstrek with mounts for 4 bikes on it this weekend. It was calling :wasteful: by name.

A few that I've seen setup with some all terrain tires have been :notbad: to look at either.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

ITT Johnny gets a :truk: Z71 or ZR2
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 am I saw a Crosstrek with mounts for 4 bikes on it this weekend. It was calling :wasteful: by name.

A few that I've seen setup with some all terrain tires have been :notbad: to look at either.
If it had something like a 1.8T with 180 HP I'd just go get one. It's rather ideal for me. I don't think I'd be happy going that far down in power though. A crosstrek with the AC running is likely pathetically slow.

I should probably go test one regardless. Listed 0-60 and 45-65 passing is about the same as the Rav4 I rented which I didn't have an issue with.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:17 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 am I saw a Crosstrek with mounts for 4 bikes on it this weekend. It was calling :wasteful: by name.

If it had something like a 1.8T with 180 HP I'd just go get one. It's rather ideal for me. I don't think I'd be happy going that far down in power though. A crosstrek with the AC running is likely pathetically slow.

I should probably go test one regardless. Listed 0-60 and 45-65 passing is about the same as the Rav4 I rented which I didn't have an issue with.
Wifey and I test drove some a year or so back? For a :derp: mobile they seemed fine.

VapeNation to :doge: :wub:
Apex

razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 am ITT Johnny gets a :truk: Z71 or ZR2
:wrong:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The biggest problem to me would be the CVT. If you enjoy driving, the trans has to be decent, even if for a derp mobile.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:21 am

The biggest problem to me would be the CVT. If you enjoy driving, the trans has to be decent, even if for a derp mobile.
Yeah that's true. The transmission is the make-or-break decision point in a lot of cars I drive, and ends up mattering more to me than the engine itself. I hear the CVT behaves well, steps fake "gears" at WOT, etc. It's smooth too, my friend's Impreza is really nice in that regard as a passenger at least. But I haven't driven it so I have no idea if its frustrating to actually drive.
Johnny_P

razr390 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 am ITT Johnny gets a :truk: Z71 or ZR2
Not happening, I have nowhere to park a beast like that.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Looks like a nice trip. Where in PA was it?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:29 am Yeah that's true. The transmission is the make-or-break decision point in a lot of cars I drive, and ends up mattering more to me than the engine itself. I hear the CVT behaves well, steps fake "gears" at WOT, etc. It's smooth too, my friend's Impreza is really nice in that regard as a passenger at least. But I haven't driven it so I have no idea if its frustrating to actually drive.
The CVT in the Forester XT was pretty decent when my wife test drove one before we bought her RDX. Put it in Sport # and it imitated actual gear ratios and was really responsive. The CVT in my friend's 2018 Crosstrek felt like garbage, though. Drive it like a :derp: and it behaves awkwardly and drones on, drive it aggressively and it holds ratios way too long, almost like a VW in its cocaine-fueled sport mode.

I thought the transmission in the CX-5 was the best of all those we drove. Always in the right gear no matter how you drove it. The most impressive moment to me was when I exited the highway and approached a roundabout - I hucked it in at a decent speed and the trans held its gear, so that when it came time to exit the motor was right in its powerband and didn't have to downshift again. Whatever algorithms they use are pretty damn :impressive:. Perfect blend of a comfortable daily and something that doesn't suck to drive, IMO, but I would 100% refuse to own a cute ute.
Last edited by coogles on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:54 am Looks like a nice trip. Where in PA was it?
Bald Eagle State Forest, out by Troxelville and Beaver Springs.
max225

They are decent cars, :whocares: if they are fast not like you’re going racing.
Last edited by max225 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.