The Grand Tour: All systems are go!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:00 am

During the last 5 years I've developed a major internal moral conflict with working at the refinery. I'm the guy that walks to the store with 4 of my own canvas bags so I'm not using gas or generating needless landfill waste. We compost and recycle everything we can. We stopped getting Blue Apron deliveries because of how much waste each box came with. I absolutely hate getting cheap shit gifts that I know will end up in a landfill in 20 minutes. And I'm starting to really despise how much fuel/emissions my car generates needlessly while Lisa's car can putt around on electrons for 15 minutes circling looking for parking.

I dunno. But I'm not parading a multi million dollar camera crew around pure poverty and hard living where people die of starvation and disease on the regular, and setting up a table to sell dead diesel smoke and mud caked fish as a "humanitarian aid" attempt for the lolz of millions of people everywhere, landing a helicopter and saying it's hopeless, and taking off.

We did Hello Fresh for a while until I got tired of essentially the same concepts, what I considered to be suspect meat quality.....and the packaging. An epic carboard box thick enough to ship a case of wine, and all of those freezer bags, styrofoam, etc. OBSCENE amount of waste because we're too lazy to meal plan? Why don't I just remove all the cats from my vehicles and pour used motor oil and coolant down the sewer drains while I am at it?
The waste is absolute insanity with these companies. Sure, much is recyclable anymore. But those freezer bags? All the little pre packaged shit? The plastic baggies? Even if some of that stuff is recyclable, you really think the guys making $8/hr at the recycling center are combing through it to find all that stuff? No.

I recently bought a lamp from West Elm. The lamp itself is fine. But the packaging was just disgusting. Epic amounts of styrofoam and cardboard. So much junk. I filled an entire contractor size trash bag full of throw away shit just from that lamp's packaging. Debating leaving a bad review just for the amount of trash generated by shipping one item.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 pm

We did Hello Fresh for a while until I got tired of essentially the same concepts, what I considered to be suspect meat quality.....and the packaging. An epic carboard box thick enough to ship a case of wine, and all of those freezer bags, styrofoam, etc. OBSCENE amount of waste because we're too lazy to meal plan? Why don't I just remove all the cats from my vehicles and pour used motor oil and coolant down the sewer drains while I am at it?
The waste is absolute insanity with these companies. Sure, much is recyclable anymore. But those freezer bags? All the little pre packaged shit? The plastic baggies? Even if some of that stuff is recyclable, you really think the guys making $8/hr at the recycling center are combing through it to find all that stuff? No.

I recently bought a lamp from West Elm. The lamp itself is fine. But the packaging was just disgusting. Epic amounts of styrofoam and cardboard. So much junk. I filled an entire contractor size trash bag full of throw away shit just from that lamp's packaging. Debating leaving a bad review just for the amount of trash generated by shipping one item.
Here's the problem though brah. The world likes Bezos and his ilk to deliver EVERYTHING to the doorstep, including shit like lamps. To do that they have to withstand UPS shipment, which is brutal, those guys throw that ship around willy nilly in the name of speed. You can't hate West Elm for packaging their shit to avoid breakage.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

How about someone driving a car to pick up a burrito down the street and deliver it to your doorstep. It adds like $1-2 to the cost yet incurs about $20-30 of expenses... dat startup economy. :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:38 pm It's also more expensive to charge the Volt at home than it is to put gas in it, so when I can't charge at my company that's committed to an all EV future with its 5 always occupied fast charging spots in a 10 story parking garage, I just run on dyno.

:aintcare:
Someone recently showed the calculations for EV vs gas in NY and it definitely costs less to burn gas unless you drive a :truk: or :wankel: - it kinda killed my thoughts of grabbing a cheapass Volt/Leaf/i3 for use around town to see that a Focus is cheaper.
A gas powered small car will always come out ahead when you apply the :math:

In my case where the car cost is sunk, the cost of fuel is even more interesting. At current gas prices, I can fill the car up for $18 and drive 300 miles, or ~$.05/mile. At current electric rates, it's ~$3 to charge the car to full, and in this climate (cold), it's only about 30 miles of range. DOUBLE the cost of gas.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Someone recently showed the calculations for EV vs gas in NY and it definitely costs less to burn gas unless you drive a :truk: or :wankel: - it kinda killed my thoughts of grabbing a cheapass Volt/Leaf/i3 for use around town to see that a Focus is cheaper.

In my case where the car cost is sunk, the cost of fuel is even more interesting. At current gas prices, I can fill the car up for $18 and drive 300 miles, or ~$.05/mile. At current electric rates, it's ~$3 to charge the car to full, and in this climate (cold), it's only about 30 miles of range. DOUBLE the cost of gas.
wow .... :disgust: and then people wonder why GM cancelled the VOLT.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Indeed.

But aside from that, now pure EVs are even less appealing. Until gas goes up, I just don't see a mass migration to EVs. It makes zero sense to buy an EV at their current prices.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Indeed.

But aside from that, now pure EVs are even less appealing. Until gas goes up, I just don't see a mass migration to EVs. It makes zero sense to buy an EV at their current prices.
:dat: they lease great :doe: which is why everyone is doing it. free .gov money to subsidize monthlies.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 pm
Indeed.

:dat: they lease great :doe: which is why everyone is doing it. free .gov money to subsidize monthlies.
And in my case, with the free money, it was $23k or about the price of a Cruze.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:20 pm

You got the GM hookup homie. No one else can get those :dill: s. MSRP on a volt was 34-40k
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm
You got the GM hookup homie. No one else can get those :dill: s. MSRP on a volt was 34-40k
Oh, I know...but even at $34k, with 7,500 off, can lease well or buy for a somewhat more palatable $26.5k.

Now with the .gov free money gone, it's going to be REALLY hard to sell any EV thing. Even Tesla is nervous.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:26 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Oh, I know...but even at $34k, with 7,500 off, can lease well or buy for a somewhat more palatable $26.5k.

Now with the .gov free money gone, it's going to be REALLY hard to sell any EV thing. Even Tesla is nervous.
Tesla is nervous because they ADVERTISED a $35,000 model 3, and assumed $7500+2500 (cali model as it represents 50% of theier sales) in rebates because FAKE NEWS MEDIA MACHINE. Making a model 3 essentially 25k, hence the 500k pre orders.

Now the real life PRICE of a model 3 is 44-67k with $3750-$6250 on the hood, making it effectively 2x as expensive as originally advertised, which is exactly why they are cutting staff.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:26 pm

Tesla is nervous because they ADVERTISED a $35,000 model 3, and assumed $7500-2500 in rebates because FAKE NEWS MEDIA MACHINE. Making a model 3 essentially 25k, hence the 500k pre orders.

Now the real life PRICE of a model 3 is 44-67k with $3750-$6250 on the hood, making it effectively 2x as expensive as originally advertised, which is exactly why they are cutting staff.
:dat:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:ohdang: dem :fax: :doe:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 am
All the side streets have 25mph "speed limits" and tons of "traffic lights". To Google, sitting in gridlock is faster.

In reality, I've shaved as much as 10 minutes off my Waze ETA by finding my own route through the abandoned areas. Can really only do that with the truck though, crater sized potholes, roads that are mostly dirt, no plowing in the winter, etc.
Sounds like a great place to own a Raptor/ZR2.
The ZR2 is a RIOT blasting down those streets. Especially in the snow, it's like a rally car.
max225

Am I the only one that thought they portrayed Detroit in a fairly decent light? Even their "abandoned" house for "$2250" or whatever was actually really nice and needed some but not crazy amounts of work...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:51 pm Am I the only one that thought they portrayed Detroit in a fairly decent light? Even their "abandoned" house for "$2250" or whatever was actually really nice and needed some but not crazy amounts of work...
I think it was an accurate portrayal, but I only live there, so I must be :wrong:

You can legit buy houses for that cheap that look like that. The entire street will be abandoned with crack heads squatting in the rubble (notice they never showed the rest of the street), but it is still a thing.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:51 pm Am I the only one that thought they portrayed Detroit in a fairly decent light? Even their "abandoned" house for "$2250" or whatever was actually really nice and needed some but not crazy amounts of work...
I think it was an accurate portrayal, but I only live there, so I must be :wrong:

You can legit buy houses for that cheap that look like that. The entire street will be abandoned with crack heads squatting in the rubble (notice they never showed the rest of the street), but it is still a thing.
:notbad: I just went appt shoping in sf yesterday, and a lot of places were far scarier and I mentioned I avoided several 2-3' deep potholes with my dubs running on rubber bands.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm

:notbad: I just went appt shoping in sf yesterday, and a lot of places were far scarier and I mentioned I avoided several 2-3' deep potholes with my dubs running on rubber bands.
I really don't find Detroit scary. It's just empty. I'm not afraid of emptiness, and even the people I encounter in the neighborhoods are cool if you're cool to them. Wave/nod, etc.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 pm

I really don't find Detroit scary. It's just empty. I'm not afraid of emptiness, and even the people I encounter in the neighborhoods are cool if you're cool to them. Wave/nod, etc.
Crime statistics would say otherwise... I mean #s don't lie mang. Cities are not exactly safe, I felt far less safe in SF than in the burbs. The numbers back up the feelings... lots of people=crime unfortunately.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:00 pm
Crime statistics would say otherwise... I mean #s don't lie mang. Cities are not exactly safe, I felt far less safe in SF than in the burbs. The numbers back up the feelings... lots of people=crime unfortunately.
In Detroit, most crime isn't random. It's gangs hitting gangs and whatnot. They've done great work at reducing random crime like carjackings and home break-ins, and if just hanging out downtown, there's private security everywhere keeping things safe.

That said, if you spend time hanging out on the wrong street corner, you'll be part of the statistic. That's just not being a dumbass, of which there are still plenty.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm

In Detroit, most crime isn't random. It's gangs hitting gangs and whatnot. They've done great work at reducing random crime like carjackings and home break-ins, and if just hanging out downtown, there's private security everywhere keeping things safe.

That said, if you spend time hanging out on the wrong street corner, you'll be part of the statistic. That's just not being a dumbass, of which there are still plenty.
If you live in an Oasis in a desert you're still in a desert at the end of the day. "gates and walls" can only keep out so much... The US as a country is actually quite unsafe compared to the "developed" world. And Detroit tends to be quite high on the crime list for what is already an unsafe country as a whole. We as a society have faired very poorly when it comes to handling these matters, this is not a dig at detroit but more of a dig at the greatest country on earth. We have some problems that are common across state lines, crime is certainly one of em.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm

If you live in an Oasis in a desert you're still in a desert at the end of the day. "gates and walls" can only keep out so much... The US as a country is actually quite unsafe compared to the "developed" world. And Detroit tends to be quite high on the crime list for what is already an unsafe country as a whole. We as a society have faired very poorly when it comes to handling these matters, this is not a dig at detroit but more of a dig at the greatest country on earth. We have some problems that are common across state lines, crime is certainly one of em.
Just saying that statistics don't necessarily mirror reality when you can control what you do/where you go. In doing so, my experiences here have been fine. There's absolutely crime and violence, but I don't put myself in the situation to experience that.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:06 pm

Just saying that statistics don't necessarily mirror reality when you can control what you do/where you go. In doing so, my experiences here have been fine. There's absolutely crime and violence, but I don't put myself in the situation to experience that.
No denying common sense, none of us frequent said areas, we do however get the side effects of being surrounded by higher crime hoods/peoples even if the violence or crime is directed at us.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

This is pretty much true for Chicago, too. Most (violent) crime is confined to just a few neighborhoods in the city and by and large being in downtown areas where lots of people normally congregate is very safe.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm You can legit buy houses for that cheap that look like that. The entire street will be abandoned with crack heads squatting in the rubble (notice they never showed the rest of the street), but it is still a thing.
Don't you also have to pay like 200%/yr in taxes for the privilege of owning a home in an up-and-coming area?