Obligatory C5 Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm
Once you take care of the balancer, you won't have anything really to worry about for a while. The rack might be a problem, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll likely be maxing out the clutch with the cam, which might be an issue eventually, but again not much to worry about.

I say do it. I love the way my car turned out. 5/7 would do it again.
What's the other 10% left out of a cam swap? Taking the valve covers off and getting to the rods? I'm assuming they'd have to be removed and then replaced once the cam is installed. If that's the case you might as well update the rockers and maybe valve springs as well to accommodate the little extra lift.
Yea, pretty much just changing rods and springs, which is really easy. Updating the bearings on the rocker is a good idea with a higher lift cam. I replaced mine with bronze bushings that are 5/7. All that is simple work compared to what it takes to get the steering rack out to get to the balancer.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:07 pm Once you take care of the balancer, you won't have anything really to worry about for a while. The rack might be a problem, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll likely be maxing out the clutch with the cam, which might be an issue eventually, but again not much to worry about.

I say do it. I love the way my car turned out. 5/7 would do it again.
What's the other 10% left out of a cam swap? Taking the valve covers off and getting to the rods? I'm assuming they'd have to be removed and then replaced once the cam is installed. If that's the case you might as well update the rockers and maybe valve springs as well to accommodate the little extra lift.
All included in the price
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thing is I'm already 400 at the crank, so 330-350rw. Not sure faster is necessary better considering I'm only doing street driving. I could just chock it up as a 875 dollar repair. 1500 could get me other upgrades down the road like seats, or just buy some Facebook stock.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 pm Thing is I'm already 400 at the crank, so 330-350rw. Not sure faster is necessary better considering I'm only doing street driving. I could just chock it up as a 875 dollar repair. 1500 could get me other upgrades down the road like seats, or just buy some Facebook stock.
Seems like a waste of money to me if you don't want to go faster. Why do it if you won't benefit from it?

$1500 is a lot of money mang. :troywax:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:58 pm Thing is I'm already 400 at the crank, so 330-350rw. Not sure faster is necessary better considering I'm only doing street driving. I could just chock it up as a 875 dollar repair. 1500 could get me other upgrades down the road like seats, or just buy some Facebook stock.
Seems like a waste of money to me if you don't want to go faster. Why do it if you won't benefit from it?

$1500 is a lot of money mang. :troywax:
:dat: and if I :plac: the car in two years I'd be kicking myself. I think posting it up with the balancer upgrade, and 3.90s with a resealed rear end could market well, can even provide the original 3.42s in the transaction which are in great shape just to ease any worries. If I lobe, resale might not be so easy.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I really want to :doit: but the outlay of another $1500 on cars is too much. I'm going to get the better balancer put in and call it a day. Car is fast enough for me.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I made a call to Stranos today. Good talk
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:17 am
Acid666 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 am

It's all stock right now. I'm looking to give Sam Stranos a call soon to order his swaybar and possibly look into either a non-wallet-raping coilover set or just really good replacement shocks, and I'd like to do the bushings as well. He's a national level guy that's the goto for C5 suspension tweaking.
On top of that I'm like THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS close to ordering 2X 315 Rival-S for the fronts (and then 2X more when I find another pair of 18" Z06 rear rims)
Right on. Skip the coilovers and do what Sam says, he's no :derp: and helped me get mine sorted too.

What he'll tell you: Stock springs and rear sway are fine, keep those. Do a 33.3mm sway bar with koni sport or ridetech/fox single adjustable shocks and 315 rivals all around on the 18" wheels. Add as much camber as you can get, zero toe up front, and a little toe in at the rear. Start out with the shocks around 2/3 stiff up front and 1/3 in the rear. Pressures around 30 front 28 rear (hot) and be smooth with all of your inputs. Bushings help but are not essential.

The car is really easy to drive quickly once it's set up well.

Troy was spot on. This was basically what he said to the T.
I feel horrible now though because he sells the Koni kit for $1,225, and I can get them on Amazon for around $950. That price savings basically saves me the whole swaybar payment. I'm all about supporting the little guy, but $300 is $300

After doing some searching, I don't understand why this one link on Amazon has them for a significant amount cheaper than everywhere else online.

Most prices for the Rear 3013-1024 is about $314-350
This amazon link thru Koni has them for $241

Fronts: 3013-1023 about $267-369
Amazon Koni Link: $193
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm I really want to :doit: but the outlay of another $1500 on cars is too much. I'm going to get the better balancer put in and call it a day. Car is fast enough for me.
Well shit, if you don't want more power ( :pussy: ) then just do the balancer and call it. But if you ever decide you want a cam, you'll be kicking yourself because you'll pay for the labor twice. Just sayin.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Corvette day at Lingenfelter Cars and Coffee tomorrow. Dad and I are taking :eeyore: so I cleaned it all up just now. Should be interesting, I've never taken it to a "show".

Hopefully will see some :notbad: :tits: doe.
:goldchainz:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm Corvette day at Lingenfelter Cars and Coffee tomorrow. Dad and I are taking :eeyore: so I cleaned it all up just now. Should be interesting, I've never taken it to a "show".

:notbad:

I need to go toC&C to try and meet some people who can do by gearz.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm Corvette day at Lingenfelter Cars and Coffee tomorrow. Dad and I are taking :eeyore: so I cleaned it all up just now. Should be interesting, I've never taken it to a "show".

:notbad:

I need to go toC&C to try and meet some people who can do by gearz.
Good plan. I'm hoping to find a solid dyno tuner...
Acid666

hah. I only really hit up C&C if I can go bullshit with :melon: for a bit. Otherwise I'm not too keen on walking around the same parking lot and looking at every car in the vicinity.
My friend lives in the Woodlands in Houston and said that theirs are great because a lot of new exotics and old stuff pop up here and there. Down here the same people come out. I'm not a talker either so I don't really go mingle.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:14 pm

hah. I only really hit up C&C if I can go bullshit with :melon: for a bit. Otherwise I'm not too keen on walking around the same parking lot and looking at every car in the vicinity.
My friend lives in the Woodlands in Houston and said that theirs are great because a lot of new exotics and old stuff pop up here and there. Down here the same people come out. I'm not a talker either so I don't really go mingle.
Ours tend to be pretty :impressive: as far as the cars I see goes, but still kinda :aintcare: about it, if I'm going to bake in a parking lot I'd rather be at Autox generally.
ChrisoftheNorth

I haven't been to any around here yet...but it's at the Lingenfelter facility where they usually have some pretty silly stuff. I figure it'll also be nice to hopefully meat some other vette owners, if there's any cool ones.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:17 pm

I haven't been to any around here yet...but it's at the Lingenfelter facility where they usually have some pretty silly stuff. I figure it'll also be nice to hopefully meat some other vette owners, if there's any cool ones.
Lingenfelter sounds like it would bring in some really bad ass rides. I'd definitely check that out.
Vette owners, I find are 50/50 between guys my age that race them, and gold chainers who show up to C&C, and completely wipe down their stock 2015 C7 Stingray, Armor All the interiors, and get it down to a showroom shine right there in the parking lot. Most I do is pull up and park then all my f0cks go out the window. LOL, I'm not wiping my shit down for you tee. I'll wipe it down next week. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!
I don't find many young vette owners because those guys are more interested in flashier shit, not bang for the buck.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:17 pm I haven't been to any around here yet...but it's at the Lingenfelter facility where they usually have some pretty silly stuff. I figure it'll also be nice to hopefully meat some other vette owners, if there's any cool ones.
Lingenfelter sounds like it would bring in some really bad ass rides. I'd definitely check that out.
Vette owners, I find are 50/50 between guys my age that race them, and gold chainers who show up to C&C, and completely wipe down their stock 2015 C7 Stingray, Armor All the interiors, and get it down to a showroom shine right there in the parking lot. Most I do is pull up and park then all my f0cks go out the window. LOL, I'm not wiping my shit down for you tee. I'll wipe it down next week. AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!
I don't find many young vette owners because those guys are more interested in flashier shit, not bang for the buck.
I'm worried it'll be 100% old guys like you describe, but we'll see. It would be cool to find some like-minded vette owners, if they even exist.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:29 pm
Acid666 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:21 pm

I'm worried it'll be 100% old guys like you describe, but we'll see. It would be cool to find some like-minded vette owners, if they even exist.
An event like that there might be more of those guys because it's higher dollar shit and those are the guys that have that kind of money. But then again it might draw in regular ole folks who just want to see the nicer stuff.
I manage to find the cool guys and find out if they like their choice of mods, and the ones I know race I'll ask em how they like their tires.
Otherwise me and the gf are pretty antisocial and don't get out of the house much other than when my band has a gig.
ChrisoftheNorth

It'll be interesting for sure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:30 pm I really want to :doit: but the outlay of another $1500 on cars is too much. I'm going to get the better balancer put in and call it a day. Car is fast enough for me.
Well shit, if you don't want more power ( :pussy: ) then just do the balancer and call it. But if you ever decide you want a cam, you'll be kicking yourself because you'll pay for the labor twice. Just sayin.
I'm feeling a little :jalepenis: on the budgeting side at the moment with the purchase of the other car. Besides, if I were to play the while you're in there game I'd have an aftermarket clutch put in when I did my diff. Besides, besides... I was fapping to C6 ZO6s last night, and if the market brings those down some more I may end up pulling a :plac: in a few years. The juan I have right now will sell better if the engine is stock.

For $700 installed I'll let these guise throw on an aftermarket harmonic balancer pulley, new belt, hardware and fluids. :jalepenis:

I'm booked for the work this Thursday, dropping the car off before I go to work. They have a way of installing the balancer without pulling the whole front end apart. 3-4 hrs labor. :impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also pics of cars and :tits:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Well shit, if you don't want more power ( :pussy: ) then just do the balancer and call it. But if you ever decide you want a cam, you'll be kicking yourself because you'll pay for the labor twice. Just sayin.
I'm feeling a little :jalepenis: on the budgeting side at the moment with the purchase of the other car. Besides, if I were to play the while you're in there game I'd have an aftermarket clutch put in when I did my diff. Besides, besides... I was fapping to C6 ZO6s last night, and if the market brings those down some more I may end up pulling a :plac: in a few years. The juan I have right now will sell better if the engine is stock.

For $700 installed I'll let these guise throw on an aftermarket harmonic balancer pulley, new belt, hardware and fluids. :jalepenis:

I'm booked for the work this Thursday, dropping the car off before I go to work. They have a way of installing the balancer without pulling the whole front end apart. 3-4 hrs labor. :impressive:
Bullshit. It's physically impossible.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:02 pm Also pics of cars and :tits:
Natch.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:59 pm I'm feeling a little :jalepenis: on the budgeting side at the moment with the purchase of the other car. Besides, if I were to play the while you're in there game I'd have an aftermarket clutch put in when I did my diff. Besides, besides... I was fapping to C6 ZO6s last night, and if the market brings those down some more I may end up pulling a :plac: in a few years. The juan I have right now will sell better if the engine is stock.

Bullshit. It's physically impossible.
They've done 150 of these. I have zero reason to lie. I can easily be lied to and not know it doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Bullshit. It's physically impossible.
They've done 150 of these. I have zero reason to lie. I can easily be lied to and not know it doe.
This is what I was getting at.

The rack has to be removed no matter what...and there's a lot of ancillary stuff that has to come off to do so. They probably have the process down at this point after doing so many, but there's no way to cut corners unless they just don't do it at all somehow.