2022 :plac: life !

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:34 pm Fucking hell man. :(
My first boss out of college was pretty similar. He was a military guy and was still active in the reserves, and he liked to treat his employees as if we were all fresh recruits in the army. He'd call employees into his office and stand behind his big desk grilling us on minute details we could never know without looking at the spreads or loan docs, using both his power and his height - he was 6'7" - to intimidate everyone and make everyone feel they weren't good enough to do their jobs. This was in 2008 and I was in banking. No one was hiring, all internal hiring was frozen; there was nowhere to go, so all I could do was grit my teeth and bear it. I don't know how many times I contemplated leaping over that desk and hitting him with a double leg and putting him on his back before breaking his face with elbows. No one is very tall lying on their back.

I ended up seeing this dude in the Indianapolis airport a couple years ago, actually. I was flying back from San Francisco with a coworker and he was on the same flight. He was sitting a couple rows behind me and, for the brief period I didn't have headphones in, all I remember hearing him talk about was gloating about firing somebody. Hadn't changed a bit. When we deplaned I waited at the gate for my coworker who was a few rows behind this dude, and as he walked out of the tunnel he definitely gave me that "do I know you?" look but kept going. Our bags came out pretty quickly and the escalator out to the parking lot was pretty close to the carousel for our flight. We were halfway up when I looked down and noticed him looking up at me, so I flipped him the bird and nodded attempting to say "I've wanted to do this for a long time". Felt pretty damn good. The look on his face was fucking priceless.
:fuckyeah: Nice dude. That's 5/7.

Sounds a ton like my former boss...who for some reason idolized the military despite never serving. He hired 2 people onto our team specifically because they had military experience stating "I know they can execute orders" as his primary reasoning. And they did.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:04 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:51 pm

My first boss out of college was pretty similar. He was a military guy and was still active in the reserves, and he liked to treat his employees as if we were all fresh recruits in the army. He'd call employees into his office and stand behind his big desk grilling us on minute details we could never know without looking at the spreads or loan docs, using both his power and his height - he was 6'7" - to intimidate everyone and make everyone feel they weren't good enough to do their jobs. This was in 2008 and I was in banking. No one was hiring, all internal hiring was frozen; there was nowhere to go, so all I could do was grit my teeth and bear it. I don't know how many times I contemplated leaping over that desk and hitting him with a double leg and putting him on his back before breaking his face with elbows. No one is very tall lying on their back.

I ended up seeing this dude in the Indianapolis airport a couple years ago, actually. I was flying back from San Francisco with a coworker and he was on the same flight. He was sitting a couple rows behind me and, for the brief period I didn't have headphones in, all I remember hearing him talk about was gloating about firing somebody. Hadn't changed a bit. When we deplaned I waited at the gate for my coworker who was a few rows behind this dude, and as he walked out of the tunnel he definitely gave me that "do I know you?" look but kept going. Our bags came out pretty quickly and the escalator out to the parking lot was pretty close to the carousel for our flight. We were halfway up when I looked down and noticed him looking up at me, so I flipped him the bird and nodded attempting to say "I've wanted to do this for a long time". Felt pretty damn good. The look on his face was fucking priceless.
:fuckyeah: :impressive:
:dat:
:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am BRZ orders are out to June/July according to my :dillerman:. That might be just about perfect. :evilplan:
Subaru stopped taking sold orders for the BRZ last week for the rest of MY22 to fulfill the remaining initial orders. In the first 3 months they sold a little over 1500 BRZs.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My car has been pushed back to the first week of February. There's a 2-3 week backlog on processing cars.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:11 pm :fuckyeah: Nice dude. That's 5/7.

Sounds a ton like my former boss...who for some reason idolized the military despite never serving. He hired 2 people onto our team specifically because they had military experience stating "I know they can execute orders" as his primary reasoning. And they did.
I've only worked with one other military guy, and he was great. Very much a no bullshit kind of guy and got his shit done. But his views on responsibility were (IMO) very reasonable. Don't be late (be early), keep your commitments, show a level of professional respect for one another, that kind of thing. My former manager acted like a drill sergeant just because he could, but of course when he left my team to go lead a new group, half of his directs quit or left within the first 6 months. :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:18 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am BRZ orders are out to June/July according to my :dillerman:. That might be just about perfect. :evilplan:
Subaru stopped taking sold orders for the BRZ last week for the rest of MY22 to fulfill the remaining initial orders. In the first 3 months they sold a little over 1500 BRZs.
I just saw my first one! Black BR-Z, I haven't seen a GR86 yet. It looks great in person, the front end of he BR-Z while a bit odd in photos perhaps, looks good. The black is quite meh.

:iono: I still want a GR86 more. Hopefully 2023 for me, maybe sooner if somehow the stars align.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:impressive: Hopefully Subaru & Toyota will continue to be rewarded for putting out a product like this.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:42 pm

:impressive: Hopefully Subaru & Toyota will continue to be rewarded for putting out a product like this.
:dat:

I want every one of these sold out for years.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:11 pm :fuckyeah: Nice dude. That's 5/7.

I've only worked with one other military guy, and he was great. Very much a no bullshit kind of guy and got his shit done. But his views on responsibility were (IMO) very reasonable. Don't be late (be early), keep your commitments, show a level of professional respect for one another, that kind of thing. My former manager acted like a drill sergeant just because he could, but of course when he left my team to go lead a new group, half of his directs quit or left within the first 6 months. :ohwell:
:lolol:

My old team was a revolving door with 3 dudes that had been there forever and were just numb to it. So when I made reports to HR they just stacked up and their excuse for not doing anything was "attrition isn't that bad" citing the 3 dudes that have been there forever.

I rattled off 4 people that had left the team in the last year, the HR girl "oh, I guess we didn't connect those departures together". :wat:
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 pm My car has been pushed back to the first week of February. There's a 2-3 week backlog on processing cars.
:|
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Well shit. :dillerman: just confirmed he can't place an order for a BRZ. He said the price for a Limited manual would be $31,055, so $400 off MSRP. Faaaaaack.

Any idea when "MY22" will end? June/July? Then I'd be able to place an order for MY23?
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 pm

Well shit. :dillerman: just confirmed he can't place an order for a BRZ. He said the price for a Limited manual would be $31,055, so $400 off MSRP. Faaaaaack.

Any idea when "MY22" will end? June/July? Then I'd be able to place an order for MY23?
Generally ordering for the next model year happens pretty quickly after the previous is shut off. They need to fill the production pipeline before they start producing 2023's.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 pm Wow sounds like crap. We had some managers at the refinery that were like that. We also had open racist and sexist comments from senior management while in meetings. Management was exclusively white men.

I took a $30k pay cut to work where I do now and I’m pretty happy with my decision.
Also the refinery exploded.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

My question was around gender not skin color … not sure what the point of bringing that into the equation is
Last edited by max225 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am

Oh yeah, Stellanus sounds waaay worse than most. It just does paint a funny and also sadly true vision of what a lot of large corp. America looks like behind closed doors.

The other crazy thing is that Stellanus makes some pretty cool products, must be the work of some really annoyed product planners and designers struggling to keep things moving forward.
Someone at some point put Ralph Gillies in the exec ranks. He's currently in charge of design, and probably the person I respect most in the entire industry. He doesn't play the bullshit, empowers his people, and at the end of the day drives a laser focus on making badass looking products. He is the sole reason Stellanus has any success because people buy the products based on design. ANYTHING the company gets credit for has come from his team. The 12" screen in the Ram? Came from Design. UConnect? Design. Interior quality? Design. All the planners do is make ppt decks for mgmt to argue about in exec meetings. Design makes the vehicles worth buying, which is sad because the engineering is garbage, powertrains are ancient, build quality is meh. And it's all due to Ralph who DGAF about corp politics and just does his thing.

My favorite Ralph story:

I somehow was asked to cover an exec meeting. I was told to just sit in the corner and take notes. Fine. There was an argument going on between planning and engineering about some EV and ranges and the engineers blamed design for not being aero enough. Someone asked Ralph to work with his team to come up with a design that was more aerodynamic. He said "no problem, I'll have a sketch in a day". The discussion moved on, but Ralph started drawing in his iPad. 5 minutes later, during some boring discussion about global emissions requirements, Ralph speaks up and says "I don't know what we're talking about, but I have the sketch ready". The other execs looked puzzled and said ok... and he asked to share his screen. They agreed.

He then showed an image of a bubble with wheels that looked like a 5 year old drew that he had just drawn and said "you do your fucking job and I'll do mine, ok?" staring right at the chief engineer who asked him for the sketch. The guy had no idea how to respond, and just nodded and continued the previous conversation.

There was also a time where we were reviewing the new Grand Cherokee L and someone made a comment about not liking the wheels and how to make them look better. Ralph pulled black masking tape out of his pocket to replicate what they guy suggested on a prototype that cost the company 7 figures and said "well that looks like shit, guess that's why you're not a designer". I just happened to be standing right there and chuckled, Ralph gave me a fist bump.

He's my hero.
:amaze:

I had no idea who Ralph was but now I respect that man.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:53 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:19 pm My car has been pushed back to the first week of February. There's a 2-3 week backlog on processing cars.
:|
It’s January/February in the northeast in winter. It was 28 degrees and snowing out today.

I have Michelin AS4’s waiting for it but if I didn’t have to put them on I’d be ok with that.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:56 pm

MY23 will likely start in November-ish, based off when Toyota typically updates model years.

If you’re interested in a GR86 at MSRP with no bullshit, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with the GM at my old stomping grounds. They’re based south of Princeton, NJ.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:50 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 pm Wow sounds like crap. We had some managers at the refinery that were like that. We also had open racist and sexist comments from senior management while in meetings. Management was exclusively white men.

I took a $30k pay cut to work where I do now and I’m pretty happy with my decision.
Yeah that of course pushed the “gtfo” plan ahead. But the higher up I got in the place the worse it was. And I came home hating myself for working there because of that. So yeah, new job has none of that shit and it’s great.
ChrisoftheNorth

adoob wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:04 am
Someone at some point put Ralph Gillies in the exec ranks. He's currently in charge of design, and probably the person I respect most in the entire industry. He doesn't play the bullshit, empowers his people, and at the end of the day drives a laser focus on making badass looking products. He is the sole reason Stellanus has any success because people buy the products based on design. ANYTHING the company gets credit for has come from his team. The 12" screen in the Ram? Came from Design. UConnect? Design. Interior quality? Design. All the planners do is make ppt decks for mgmt to argue about in exec meetings. Design makes the vehicles worth buying, which is sad because the engineering is garbage, powertrains are ancient, build quality is meh. And it's all due to Ralph who DGAF about corp politics and just does his thing.

My favorite Ralph story:

I somehow was asked to cover an exec meeting. I was told to just sit in the corner and take notes. Fine. There was an argument going on between planning and engineering about some EV and ranges and the engineers blamed design for not being aero enough. Someone asked Ralph to work with his team to come up with a design that was more aerodynamic. He said "no problem, I'll have a sketch in a day". The discussion moved on, but Ralph started drawing in his iPad. 5 minutes later, during some boring discussion about global emissions requirements, Ralph speaks up and says "I don't know what we're talking about, but I have the sketch ready". The other execs looked puzzled and said ok... and he asked to share his screen. They agreed.

He then showed an image of a bubble with wheels that looked like a 5 year old drew that he had just drawn and said "you do your fucking job and I'll do mine, ok?" staring right at the chief engineer who asked him for the sketch. The guy had no idea how to respond, and just nodded and continued the previous conversation.

There was also a time where we were reviewing the new Grand Cherokee L and someone made a comment about not liking the wheels and how to make them look better. Ralph pulled black masking tape out of his pocket to replicate what they guy suggested on a prototype that cost the company 7 figures and said "well that looks like shit, guess that's why you're not a designer". I just happened to be standing right there and chuckled, Ralph gave me a fist bump.

He's my hero.
:amaze:

I had no idea who Ralph was but now I respect that man.
https://www.automotivehalloffame.org/ho ... -v-gilles/

He should go down in history as an automotive legend. He's also featured on an older Netflix show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract: ... _of_Design
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 pm MY23 will likely start in November-ish, based off when Toyota typically updates model years.

If you’re interested in a GR86 at MSRP with no bullshit, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with the GM at my old stomping grounds. They’re based south of Princeton, NJ.
Yikes, so if Subaru is similar then no new orders until November? Or MY23 orders would start getting delivered in November? Either way that stinks.

I'm absolutely interested, but I think I'll contact a couple local 'yota dealerships here to see what they say. All things being equal I'd rather not have to fly to and drive back from New Jersey.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:37 am
fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:21 pm MY23 will likely start in November-ish, based off when Toyota typically updates model years.

Yikes, so if Subaru is similar then no new orders until November? Or MY23 orders would start getting delivered in November? Either way that stinks.

I'm absolutely interested, but I think I'll contact a couple local 'yota dealerships here to see what they say. All things being equal I'd rather not have to fly to and drive back from New Jersey.
Most lilkely mid-late summer or later, yes. Anything available this year will end up being a canceled order or anything that comes available if they choose to ramp up production, which is unlikely. Shutting down the sold order system basically tells you there's enough demand to finish the year's run efficiently.

I have a shipping company that could probably get it to you for $600-800.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:50 pm

Yeah that of course pushed the “gtfo” plan ahead. But the higher up I got in the place the worse it was. And I came home hating myself for working there because of that. So yeah, new job has none of that shit and it’s great.
Climbing the corporate ladder seems kinda meh in most cases, honestly. More politics, arguments, time, and stress, less actual meaningful work.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:46 pm

Climbing the corporate ladder seems kinda meh in most cases, honestly. More politics, arguments, time, and stress, less actual meaningful work.
Depends. Building teams/goals/roadmaps can be arguably more beneficial than being down in the weeds and doing a singular task.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yep, corporate management is a ton of :gag: :disgust: :nope: Takes a special breed to want that garbage.

I do enjoy startup lyfe :doe: I could see getting into leadership of some sort of startup thing at some point.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:49 pm

Depends. Building teams/goals/roadmaps can be arguably more beneficial than being down in the weeds and doing a singular task.
This doesn't happen in big old corps unless you're C level. And the amount of :bs: you have to endure to get there is just :nope: to me.

But agreed 100% on that type of work. I've really enjoyed it and it's constantly changing/evolving in a smaller org.