Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:53 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:52 am

Also piloted by a :mahtroy: with his baby mama
At least he’s staying with the kid.
Two out of two camry owners are committed to raising their own crotchfruit. :impressive:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I guess now that I have four tank fills, 2150 miles, and one month of ownership under my belt, I think it's time for another update!

My long-term average fuel economy is 41.5 mpg, which I fucking love about this thing. We did a drive to downtown Toronto twice, my parents place, a school drop off, grocery shopping, and I still had enough gas to drive to Windsor and a good portion back before I saw the fuel light pop up on this thing. Ho-lee-chow! This car is good at that! Best FE in a short duration trip is still 61 mpg, and worst is 28 :lol:

I also have become quite attached to the way it looks, especially in this color. From a certain angle the door lines make the rear end look kind of thicc, and I dig it. In my defense, i typically get overly attached to my cars, and they take on a certain grandeur that likely doesn't exist to normal people. I felt the same way about my TL, MK6, and MK7 and still find them attractive now.

The whole Toronto-hometown-Windsor thing was an awesome experience because I needed to marathon all of it over three days, which is very tiring even under optimal conditions, but they really were close to perfection in this car. I knew that the switch would pay off and in this way it is already doing that. The comfort is unreal, and with the ACC set i could stretch my legs right out at times and just wiggle the steering wheel every 15 or so seconds to keep the car cruising along.

Other than the three initial build quality issues, nothing else comes up in my mind as an issue.

There is one unusual quirk though, if i turn the car off and open the door quickly enough, it dings at me like i left something on with the door open, but doesn't show anything on the gage cluster, so for a while i spent time trying to find out what it was. Now that i know, i give the car at least two seconds between turning the ignition off and actually opening the door. Kind of silly, but if i get out and pick the door there are no negative effects, and it stops permanently, so it's not really an issue to me.

I love how dirty a silver car can be and still look relatively clean. Truly a ZFG machine:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This gen Camry is actually quite handsome IMO. I can totally see being into the way it looks, especially in Silver that always looks clean like you said.

Glad you're enjoying the ZFG vehicle life!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

thats downright impressive MPG for a car of that size.... while i did not check the volt with a fillup even it just squeaks out 40mpg on the highway @75mph.

Glad you are satisfied with the new whip.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I think the rear quarter looks good too. Glad you’re enjoying it. My midnight blue car looks like crap, good call on silver.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:50 am thats downright impressive MPG for a car of that size.... while i did not check the volt with a fillup even it just squeaks out 40mpg on the highway @75mph.

Glad you are satisfied with the new whip.
And that’s winter MPG which is usually a bit of a mess with hybrids. He should be well over 50 mpg during summer driving.

It’s less of a mess with Toyota because they’re the only ones that do hybrids correctly. Series hybrid is not the right way to do things.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:23 am This gen Camry is actually quite handsome IMO. I can totally see being into the way it looks, especially in Silver that always looks clean like you said.

Aw thanks! :wub: I actually stop and look at it with some level of appreciation for the styling. The fuck happened to Toyota? I can't even say that it feels slow or unrefined, the electric motor takes all that out of the equation by taking some stress off of the 2.5 and filling in power gaps. Push the sport button and it will throw some coals in the fire if desired. I mainly just put along like :aintcare: gif.

The silver paint is nice because I can just hit it with a $4 coin wash and drive off wet without seeing all the watermarks, etc. I may do a mild paint correction and home ceramic kit with it in the summer just because it's a new thing and I enjoy that task, but none of that is really necessary for a car like this, IMM. I actually feel relieved to have one less thing to worry about nowadays.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:52 am I think the rear quarter looks good too. Glad you’re enjoying it. My midnight blue car looks like crap, good call on silver.
Thanks, I learned from the last two cars, silver or white on appliances, and something like yellow or orange on a sports car probably... or just silver if it's the right kind of paint (metallic).

I really like midnight blue, but it would punish me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tar wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:01 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:23 am This gen Camry is actually quite handsome IMO. I can totally see being into the way it looks, especially in Silver that always looks clean like you said.

Aw thanks! :wub: I actually stop and look at it with some level of appreciation for the styling. The fuck happened to Toyota? I can't even say that it feels slow or unrefined, the electric motor takes all that out of the equation by taking some stress off of the 2.5 and filling in power gaps. Push the sport button and it will throw some coals in the fire if desired. I mainly just put along like :aintcare: gif.

The silver paint is nice because I can just hit it with a $4 coin wash and drive off wet without seeing all the watermarks, etc. I may do a mild paint correction and home ceramic kit with it in the summer just because it's a new thing and I enjoy that task, but none of that is really necessary for a car like this, IMM. I actually feel relieved to have one less thing to worry about nowadays.
Nice man! Glad you're enjoying it. I definitely understand the less things to worry about idea. I always think I want two cars, but the reality is, it's more stress than I want to take on, it's nice just having a thing to get in and go.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Just about every Toyota hybrid I've ever seen gets a solid 10% increase in fuel economy in warmer weather. It'll only get better. For the 3 months it's warm in the Great White North
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:48 pm Just about every Toyota hybrid I've ever seen gets a solid 10% increase in fuel economy in warmer weather. It'll only get better. For the 3 months it's warm in the Great White North
The 10% extra will be welcomed, my TDI did that too. It's nice to get that extra trip or two in between fills.

Do you know if Toyota can disable the lane keep warnings while keeping the system active?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Not possible for liability reasons
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Howdy Howsers :howdy:

The car hit 8000 kms (5000 miles), one stone chip on the hood, and a scratch low on the rear passenger door that looks like it may have come from a shopping cart or bicycle pedal, :whocares: , it will probably buff out. Teh Cammie is due for the first service (some :bs: inspection). They don't change the oil @ this interval, but I'm going to ask them to :doit: .

Busy two months on the road, at this rate the B2B warranty will expire in 2023!

Found another defect, the trunk latch is mounted crooked. Good jerb Kentucky, please don't try to build to specification for me, kthx.

I wouldn't have noticed this juan, but the trunk doesn't close on the first try unless there's a bit of a push to accompany the swing to closed position. Not- :impressive:

It's not a show stopper, but still, was there a festival in early February that I'm unaware of?

I'll have this looked at along with the sunroof on Fri-tag.

The car has been solid in all functional tasks asked of it. I'm really enjoying the quiet and comfortable ride, and FE and operation from the hybrid package is outstanding. It is exactly what I expected.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Before i took my accord to the second service, there are instances where the trunk gets randomly releases. Which I think the service may have taken care of it, cause unlatching the trunk felt more solid and haven't yet ran into the issue.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 am Before i took my accord to the second service, there are instances where the trunk gets randomly releases. Which I think the service may have taken care of it, cause unlatching the trunk felt more solid and haven't yet ran into the issue.
:member: how our Acuras looked and felt when we drove them? Such a far departure in build quality in some of these new products, I'm going to say that peak car production was 2008, and has been steadily declining thanks to Economic instability, cost cutting, and lack of skilled workmen. Just something I've been observing lately. Mind you, we are dealing with a high volume ZFG family sedan built for domestic "Murica/CCCPanada" market :iono:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tar wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:31 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 am Before i took my accord to the second service, there are instances where the trunk gets randomly releases. Which I think the service may have taken care of it, cause unlatching the trunk felt more solid and haven't yet ran into the issue.
:member: how our Acuras looked and felt when we drove them? Such a far departure in build quality in some of these new products, I'm going to say that peak car production was 2008, and has been steadily declining thanks to Economic instability, cost cutting, and lack of skilled workmen. Just something I've been observing lately. Mind you, we are dealing with a high volume ZFG family sedan built for domestic "Murica/CCCPanada" market :iono:
My passenger window began to creak when it rolls up, while my mk6 did that when it was 25k miles. Also some weather stripping too. Outside of that, the interior is on par as my turbo yaris, with the exception of the center console/wireless phone charger storage where it sounded and feels like I could easily break it. My TSX never had any of those issues, same goes for my friends 2005 Accord as well. I know my TSX was made in Japan.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:15 am

My passenger window began to creak when it rolls up, while my mk6 did that when it was 25k miles. Also some weather stripping too. Outside of that, the interior is on par as my turbo yaris, with the exception of the center console/wireless phone charger storage where it sounded and feels like I could easily break it. My TSX never had any of those issues, same goes for my friends 2005 Accord as well. I know my TSX was made in Japan.
:word:
Japan built stuff definitely has a better reputation for build quality. Still, interior trim material selection/etc is a corporate wide planning thing so that's going to be common. I doubt any Japanese built Toyotas have a crooked trunk latch to "make it work with a poorly installed trunk gate.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

In my small sample size.

Tacoma was flawless made during peak Rona in October 2020. Tessie was kinda blah made in nov 21.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:44 pm

In my small sample size.

Tacoma was flawless made during peak Rona in October 2020. Tessie was kinda blah made in nov 21.
Double the price of a Cammie, i suspect that Toyota cares more about the build quality/reputation. Either that or my particular vehicle was a weekend project car or some shit. Whatever the case, build quality is un- :impressive: when I compare it to other cars that I've owned. Nice car, second rate build and interior material quality. :aintcare:
max225

What do you define as quality ? I.e the Camry I had as a rental was far worse inside than my base 2011 tdi. (Materials etc) but it was screwed together right
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:18 pm What do you define as quality ? I.e the Camry I had as a rental was far worse inside than my base 2011 tdi. (Materials etc) but it was screwed together right
See pics above
max225

Tar wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:47 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:18 pm What do you define as quality ? I.e the Camry I had as a rental was far worse inside than my base 2011 tdi. (Materials etc) but it was screwed together right
See pics above
:derp: sorry missed it :wtf:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:49 pm
Tar wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:47 pm

See pics above
:wtf:
1. Front bumper misaligned
2. Sunroof misaligned
3. Trunk latch and trunk misaligned
4. Rear bumper molding has plastic spikes protruding

That's not typical toyota quality, or any manufacturer really
max225

Tar wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:01 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:49 pm

:wtf:
1. Front bumper misaligned
2. Sunroof misaligned
3. Trunk latch and trunk misaligned
4. Rear bumper molding has plastic spikes protruding

That's not typical toyota quality, or any manufacturer really

To be fair … TSX has a crooked latch as well.
Also it has a cover for the latch … cuz unsightly obviously 🙄
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:22 pm

To be fair … TSX has a crooked latch as well.
Also it has a cover for the latch … cuz unsightly obviously 🙄
Don't get me wrong i love my new car, but you're not going to convince me that the build quality is as good as your TSX. My trunk doesn't close properly and when i give it a good crank it hits my bumper and rubs paint off of it.