Grounded to the Ground - Vanilla Cammie Chronicles

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hello ladies and germs, as most of you know, I sold my R after 5 yrs and 93.5 k miles of relatively trouble-free motoring. It was a :notsure: move for me, as I'm typically married to my cars for 6 to 8 yrs and drop them before they start to get unreliable, become a safety risk, or a financial headache. Well, in this case, none of these factors applied, and it was ultimately the chip shortages combined with a low point in my family's vehicle demand that convinced me to move on faster than I usually would have. The :math: on the car sale was sweet. Basically, a $42k 2017 Aarr after a winter tire package, extended warranty, F&PDI and taxes is a $50k purchase. I would never buy a car like that MSRP, but I was sitting on a MK6 GOLF TDI also 5 yrs/100k miles in which got repurchased for nearly half of this thing thanks to Dieselgate... So YOLO this. That was my first stroke of luck with this handsome hatchback; little did I know back then that I'd be able to off it for $28.5K on its summer set of bent Pretorias, a broken windshield, and five years of door dings and salt/rust accumulation. Thus should be a 22k sale, especially with the insurance claim for $6700. I had a few tire kickers, but nobody wanted the car when they found out it had a big-ticket repair. I probably should have told VW to piss off and change the oil pan after plowing that landscaping rock, most of the damage was cosmetic on underbody components :ohwell:
Whatev, nearly 70% of MSRP back in hand for relinquishing this bitch to some corporation with a fancy car transporter who did indeed pay me hassle-free! Good riddance, I ain't shedding tears.

The family needs a slightly bigger car with a smoother ride for those longish GB getaway drives. I was also not impressed with the gearing on the R, which had me commuting at 3k rpms chomping away at 91 octane fuel thanks to a factory tune and large turbo.

To achieve my goals, I needed to find a vehicle with a longer wheelbase than a Golf, which is nearly everything. My life also took an exciting turn with an investment property, and to make it happen, a few things were set aside, including the C5.5 and most of our disposable income. I knew that the next car needed to be very efficient, experience with the TDI taught me that the lower cost of fuel adds up. The purchase price of the new thing should be within 10k of the outgoing car; Otherwise, the :math: doesn't support the cause. At a $10k spread, I could scratch up enough loose cash to skip carrying a loan whatsoever.

Other factors on my mind included the amount of income I earned between Stellantis and Toyota. It gives me a sense of gratitude and thankfulness, and Toyota's business is head and shoulders above the rest. So buying a Toyota next was a no-brainer even with the politics aside. Their attention to detail, mentorship mindset, and standardization processes continue to elevate them as the most reliable and efficient brand bar none in my experience. Exactly what I needed in my corner right now, and I exhausted my patience with the VW service mindset, which left us on the hook for overly complex equipment that costs more to replace and service. A new and better business mindset is so refreshing!

Okay, so why a Cammie? Toyota has a few products that appeal to families. Most of them are SUVs, but the creme de la creme is the 4Runner/Taco if gas is a mere afterthought, which it is not. Also, price-wise, we are talking double what a Camry/Rav cost. It is the same story with the Highlander, but that thing can be had with a hybrid powertrain but I'm just not an SUV guy. The Venza is ugly IMO and still costs nearly 4R/Highlander money. It's silly. So those are the heavy hitters, and frankly more than I can afford, pal. The Rav4, Camry, Prius, 'Rolla hatch & Hybrid Sedan were the top contenders, and size was the name of the game, so the Rav and Cammie were the top two options. It turns out they are basically the same car, rear-seat legroom is within 3/8" of each other, both share the same platform and power train options, and both are within $2k of each other for comparably equipped models.
There's an optional 301HP V6 in the Camry that runs on 87 gas shared with the ES350, but the hybrid seems most reviewers favourite platform and outputs 208 HP in both the Rav and the Camry. The V6 is also thirsty and defeats the whole point of this move. FE figures lean towards the sleeker and lighter sedan, Rav Hybrid is 41/38 mpg city/highway, while the Cammie achieves 46/47 comfortably.

Camry: The lowest trim LE has a newer lithium-ion battery which Toyota isn't comfortable introducing on all of their trims just yet, and it's able to hit 52/53 mpg because it can regen to nearly full very fast allowing it to stay in EV mode longer. Those numbers are bonkers, and it's the trim I should get, but alas, vanity stands in the way! Regardless of trim, most reviewers prefer the hybrid power train over all the others, mainly because it is smooth and quick (enough), and drives very well, sounding much more refined than the standard four cyl gas-only spec. 0 to 60 is a leisurely 7.5 seconds but it pulls nicely with the linear electric motor.

I value AWD a lot but have learned that real-world usage is overrated, and I'm a good enough driver to handle all conditions easily with proper tars. So summer and winter set of wheels on anything I own is how I roll.

Cammie for the easy win. Wifey already has a very nice SUV, so I typically use hers for anything that requires a tow hitch or large hatch. She loves it and can sit up high; and I'm about to get grounded to the ground, lol.

The '22 Camry comes in a lot of trim packages, the LE (base), XLE which is their 'luxury' optioned trim and rolls on 19" wheels. The SE has different struts and strut springs, a larger sway bar, chassis reinforcements and a few other items including 18" wheels, and here in Canuckistania gets a few nice upgrades like a sunroof, leather-wrapped and heated steering wheel, heated sport-plex power seats with cloth inserts, heated mirrors, a 9" screen, and the "sport" appearance which includes a more aggressive front and rear clip and subtle skirt package. It's the sweet spot for pricing but falls short of the XSE package, which has a $4000 premium and gets a two-tone paint scheme, 19" black wheels, less comfortable heated and cooled real leather seats, slightly nicer head and taillights, and a larger and nicer TFT screen. I ordered the SE, but I wanted the XSE for the black roof, silver paint theme. I didn't want the 19" wheels that come with it, and the price tag didn't fall in line with my goals. No regrets on picking up the SE with the upgrade winter package.

The car arrives in a month, so I'll possibly add a few factoids as i come across them. The FE has a lot to do with the battery/electric motor, but there's some pretty tech in the 2.5 4 cyl under the hood. For those who don't know much about it, you'll be surprised with what they've managed to bolt on to achieve the ratings we're seeing, I know that I was. This car is going to be pretty dope!
Last edited by Tar on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I’d rock a cammie so hard
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:59 am I’d rock a cammie so hard
Same dude, they look pretty good to me which is :impressive: considering that they've been mainly unchanged since 2018. They've had a light refresh in 20 or 21 which brought a newer HU that got rid of their proprietary Entune interface and replaced it with AA/Carplay. The cammie has good lines, reminds me a lot of my 2004 TL which also still looks good after nearly 20 yrs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice writeup. I also like the recent iteration of the Camry. Impressive adulting.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Curious to hear more about the 2.5. They put that in the Highlander Hybrid that managed 35mpg in a midsize SUV :mindblown:

Probably slow, but the efficiency is :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:08 am Nice writeup. I also like the recent iteration of the Camry. Impressive adulting.
Thanks dude, adulting keeps coming at me hard and fast, no time to :pussy: -foot around. My kid turns 10 today and I realize that he'll probably be learning to drive on this next vehicle purchase. :mindblown:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So what’s the final damage as far as pricing on the Camry ?
Also what features does it have in the SE trim? Stereo ?
Keyless ?
Auto climate ?
Toyota safety sense right ?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:55 am Curious to hear more about the 2.5. They put that in the Highlander Hybrid that managed 35mpg in a midsize SUV :mindblown:

I just looked at the Highlander, and it is listed as a 243 HP hybrid, so I'm guessing that it has a slightly more powerful electric motor, but I can't be sure that they didn't tweak the 2.5 as well.

Simply put, it is the most advanced naturally aspirated gas motor I've ever seen. The valves have variable timing control in, two exhaust valves per cyl advance with oil pressure (like a v-tech) and can adjust forward up to 40 degrees. Still, the two intake valves are driven by an electric motor that spins at the same speed as the motor. Incoming advancement happens when the electric motor spools faster than the motor and can advance as much as 70 degrees. I don't know how Toyota manages to put an electric motor on the intake camshaft and confirm it's reliability, but it is designed to be fail-safe, and you can unplug the motor, and the engine will still run. It automatically retards the valves by a small margin putting the engine into a drivable limp mode.

It is also interesting to see what they did with their gas injectors, they wanted to have the efficiency of direct injection but were challenged by potential DI issues like carbon build up on the valves, so this motor uses direct and port injection at different times. In some cases, both are being sprayed.

Another :neat: feature is an electric water pump. The belt goes right by the metal pump housing without touching it. You can hook diagnostic tools up to the OBD2 port and control the water flow electrically. Water is run through valves that direct it to where it's needed at different times. For example, the heater core is excluded from cold start-up (I don't know all of the sequences, but the engine gets up to operating temps quickly in the name of FE and emissions). It sounds complex, but the valves are located on the top of the engine bay and easily accessed and replaced. They, too, have a feedback loop and can be controlled. For example, if you're doing a coolant flush, run the motor at 1500 rpm on your driveway, and all the valves will stay open to bleed the system.. Alternately, they can be opened with the right diagnostic tool by setting the motor to service mode.

I'm learning more about the features, but those are the heavy hitters from the top of my head. As the gov does away with ICE motors, all this stuff will get trashed, but seeing how much closer Toyota got to perfecting the 2.5 motor is pretty :amazing: .
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:24 am So what’s the final damage as far as pricing on the Camry ?
Keyless ?
Auto climate ?
I can lay it out in terms of Canadian funds but it's a $40.9k ($32k USD OTD) purchase which is broken down as follows:

$32,300 sale price (MSRP) SE Hybrid
2,000 Upgrade PKG (sunroof, leather wrapped shit, heated seats/wheel/mirrors, 9" HU, car starter -subscription eventually) - NON-NEGOTIABLE, comes on all SE trim here.
100 air con tax
30 tire tax
1,790 F&PDI
1,650 HST tax (national)
32 lic fee
0 dealership fees

It comes with Kessy/PB start, auto climate, 2.5+ safety sense package, six speaker base sound (one down from the XSE JBL), garage door opener, wireless phone charger, AA/Carplay, audio+ remote, front/rear stabilizer bar, 18" machine faced wheels with all season tires, 4 whl disk brakes (sliders), the ECVT from the Prius which is apparently coupled with all the hybrid synergy drives and :notbad: function/reliability, EV mode to 30 MPH, 4 window auto up/down, heated leather wrapped wheel, 4.2" TFT on the dash. It's not a top trim but it's somewhat dece and much closer to the base price then the upper trim.
max225

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:10 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:24 am So what’s the final damage as far as pricing on the Camry ?
Keyless ?
Auto climate ?
I can lay it out in terms of Canadian funds but it's a $40.9k ($32k USD OTD) purchase which is broken down as follows:

2,000 Upgrade PKG (sunroof, leather wrapped shit, heated seats/wheel/mirrors, 9" HU, car starter -subscription eventually) - NON-NEGOTIABLE, comes on all SE trim here.
100 air con tax
30 tire tax
1,790 F&PDI
1,650 HST tax (national)
32 lic fee
0 dealership fees

It comes with Kessy/PB start, auto climate, 2.5+ safety sense package, six speaker base sound (one down from the XSE JBL), garage door opener, wireless phone charger, AA/Carplay, audio+ remote, front/rear stabilizer bar, 18" machine faced wheels with all season tires, 4 whl disk brakes (sliders), the ECVT from the Prius which is apparently coupled with all the hybrid synergy drives and :notbad: function/reliability, EV mode to 30 MPH, 4 window auto up/down, heated leather wrapped wheel, 4.2" TFT on the dash. It's not a top trim but it's somewhat dece and much closer to the base price then the upper trim.
Gotchya so does it come with those half cloth half pleather sporty seats ? Those are sorta neat. I know toyota does random regional bundling so curious how this pans out.

Also does it come with halogens or leds ?

This thing will be stupid comfortable after a golf. Long wheel base plus non punishing suspension. I have ridden in quite a few now.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:jimp: in4CammiePics

They are legit :notbad: cars these days, :axcited:

Our dumbasses missed our second flight (first one was cancelled) out of St. Petersburg yesterday and ended up having to rent a car, a 2020 Corolla. I was :sad: it was Hybrid but it was a legit :notbad: thing and managed over 40 MPG despite dinosaur tech. The poverty spec Corolla had :fancy: headlights, lane keep assist, radar cruise, etc.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:51 am
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:10 am

100 air con tax
30 tire tax
1,790 F&PDI
1,650 HST tax (national)
32 lic fee
0 dealership fees

Gotchya so does it come with those half cloth half pleather sporty seats ? Those are sorta neat. I know toyota does random regional bundling so curious how this pans out.

Also does it come with halogens or leds ?

This thing will be stupid comfortable after a golf. Long wheel base plus non punishing suspension. I have ridden in quite a few now.
Yeah exactly, durability in the bolsters and comfort on the seat and back support. They are supposed to be the most comfortable format, more plush without the anus whistler + leather pkg. It should be a pretty good fit for us.
max225

Also what is F&PDI?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:21 pm Also what is F&PDI?
Freight and pre-delivery inspection (technician checks fluids, tire pressure, etc), car is cleaned and gas tank is filled.

Toyota announces it's cost on each vehicle in their advertising. I don't think it is negotiable.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, you were asking about headlights, they are LED but the higher trim adds LED turn signals and daytime running lights, so those are a little nicer. Some cars warrant it, but this isn't really a dick-swinging type of car, so having the best spec is almost kind of a turn-off in my mind.

The tailights are the same thing, they are LED with halogen turn signals and look :goodenough: in my mind. The 22 has a tinted edge look which looks nice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Never drove one or in one lol
max225

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:25 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:21 pm Also what is F&PDI?
Freight and pre-delivery inspection (technician checks fluids, tire pressure, etc), car is cleaned and gas tank is filled.

Toyota announces it's cost on each vehicle in their advertising. I don't think it is negotiable.
Oh we don't have that here. Interesting. We do have "delivery" which is just around 1k. The tank of gas is "free" :lol:
max225

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 pm Also, you were asking about headlights, they are LED but the higher trim adds LED turn signals and daytime running lights, so those are a little nicer. Some cars warrant it, but this isn't really a dick-swinging type of car, so having the best spec is almost kind of a turn-off in my mind.

The tailights are the same thing, they are LED with halogen turn signals and look :goodenough: in my mind. The 22 has a tinted edge look which looks nice.
Eh doesn't really matter on the turn signals. But very good on the Headlights. Good headlights are key IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 pm Also, you were asking about headlights, they are LED but the higher trim adds LED turn signals and daytime running lights, so those are a little nicer. Some cars warrant it, but this isn't really a dick-swinging type of car, so having the best spec is almost kind of a turn-off in my mind.

Eh doesn't really matter on the turn signals. But very good on the Headlights. Good headlights are key IMO.
:dat: Being able to see at night is :nice:

I only know because I've never owned a vehicle with good headlights.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:41 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 pm

:dat:

Bad headlights are inexcusable in 2022.
Speaking of which Mr. Aftermarket Parts Bro, I need to retrofit some HID's to my 2006 MBZ E350. It has the same projector housings the HIDs came with but it has the halogens.............which do suck compared to modern lighting. Any pro tips as far as brands?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:36 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:25 pm

Oh we don't have that here. Interesting. We do have "delivery" which is just around 1k. The tank of gas is "free" :lol:
We do, it's baked into the MSRP. Canada must have regulations that require it to be listed on the monroney.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

If the headlights are anything like the LEDs on the 4R, you'll be very pleased. They're truly outstanding. Same with the LED fogs. Auto high beams are game changing too if it has them. Your drive to and around GB would be much improved.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:52 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:55 am Curious to hear more about the 2.5. They put that in the Highlander Hybrid that managed 35mpg in a midsize SUV :mindblown:

I just looked at the Highlander, and it is listed as a 243 HP hybrid, so I'm guessing that it has a slightly more powerful electric motor, but I can't be sure that they didn't tweak the 2.5 as well.

Simply put, it is the most advanced naturally aspirated gas motor I've ever seen. The valves have variable timing control in, two exhaust valves per cyl advance with oil pressure (like a v-tech) and can adjust forward up to 40 degrees. Still, the two intake valves are driven by an electric motor that spins at the same speed as the motor. Incoming advancement happens when the electric motor spools faster than the motor and can advance as much as 70 degrees. I don't know how Toyota manages to put an electric motor on the intake camshaft and confirm it's reliability, but it is designed to be fail-safe, and you can unplug the motor, and the engine will still run. It automatically retards the valves by a small margin putting the engine into a drivable limp mode.

It is also interesting to see what they did with their gas injectors, they wanted to have the efficiency of direct injection but were challenged by potential DI issues like carbon build up on the valves, so this motor uses direct and port injection at different times. In some cases, both are being sprayed.

Another :neat: feature is an electric water pump. The belt goes right by the metal pump housing without touching it. You can hook diagnostic tools up to the OBD2 port and control the water flow electrically. Water is run through valves that direct it to where it's needed at different times. For example, the heater core is excluded from cold start-up (I don't know all of the sequences, but the engine gets up to operating temps quickly in the name of FE and emissions). It sounds complex, but the valves are located on the top of the engine bay and easily accessed and replaced. They, too, have a feedback loop and can be controlled. For example, if you're doing a coolant flush, run the motor at 1500 rpm on your driveway, and all the valves will stay open to bleed the system.. Alternately, they can be opened with the right diagnostic tool by setting the motor to service mode.

I'm learning more about the features, but those are the heavy hitters from the top of my head. As the gov does away with ICE motors, all this stuff will get trashed, but seeing how much closer Toyota got to perfecting the 2.5 motor is pretty :amazing: .
This is fantastic. I've read about variable electric water pumps and electric actuated valve timing, :impressive: stuff indeed!

Lots of life and room for improvement for ICE. Sad we'll never realize it's full potential.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:26 pm

If the headlights are anything like the LEDs on the 4R, you'll be very pleased. They're truly outstanding. Same with the LED fogs. Auto high beams are game changing too if it has them. Your drive to and around GB would be much improved.
I believe that it has all those features! :megusta:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:52 am

This is fantastic. I've read about variable electric water pumps and electric actuated valve timing, :impressive: stuff indeed!

Lots of life and room for improvement for ICE. Sad we'll never realize it's full potential.
:pour:

What can you do, it seems like cuck levels are at an all time high and this is another example of government calling whatever shots they please.
I'm not sure if auto manufacturers will benefit from it eventually, but there are like 14 components in an electric motor, so there's that.