Northern 4R Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:37 pm The only person who's ever complained about being able to hear me in the :taco: on BT is my 96 year old grandmother, so it may not be an across the board issue.
This is encouraging, I need to look into what's wrong with mine. I hate this issue the most because I can't trouble shoot it by myself.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:15 pm Chris, does the phone call audio sound at all better if you connect to android auto?
Interesting thought. Haven't used AA yet. The built in nav and stock UI in general is rather decent. In the past, I'd use AA just for nav, but now that the built-in nav is so decent to use, I don't feel the need to plug in for AA all the time.

But it may indeed help with BT call quality, so it's worth a shot next time.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:09 pm Next time you get into the car, hit menu, then in the bottom right of the screen you should see “display”.

Turn the display off.

Next, swipe the screen from left to right 5 times in less than 5 seconds. Then, right to left 5 times.
The radio should go into diagnostic mode.

If it does, snap a pic of it and send it to jcockcroft@potml.com tomorrow and I’ll walk you through a couple of things to try for the BT quality. I’m doing it from memory but let me know if it pulls up a white screen with green borders.

The Toyota radios have a BT “Gain” setting to tweak audio quality.

It goes from “awful” to circa 2009 quality level with some trial and error.

The audio quality in my Corolla is horrendous and the wife complains all the time.
:mindblown: I'll give this a shot, thanks dude!
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:50 pm :iono: The BT in my Mk6 and Mk7 were both :thisisfine: . Clear, loud enough phone calls, and decent streaming of audio from my phone.
Same for the H.
Obviously :wrong:
I actually had no issues with the Subaru and incredibly my JL/T before that. People complained of a bit of background noise with those, but could always hear me fine. That always blew my mind because the Jeeps were so loud inside.

Which is why the 4R BT really surprised me. It's a lot quieter than the JL/Ts were inside, so you'd think bluetooth would follow.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:56 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 pm

I need that to work, imagine buying a quiet car to drive and take calls and then finding out the mic is quieter too?
:facepalm:

:lolol:
I just assume Bluetooth doesn’t work. It hasn’t worked in any one of my last 5 cars…
370z plain unusable
Tdi shit
335i shit
M3 shit
Taco shit
Tessie may be ok doe. I just use a wired headset I hate blasting someone’s voice through 8-23 speakers like what’s the point
If I drive a lot and need to take calls, a wired single ear headset for talking would be 5/7. In the Subaru, people could hear me, but I'd have to crank the BT volume to the max just to hear people.

I absolutely hate talking on the phone in general because the quality is so bad. It's always hard for me to hear people, even if it's just talking on the phone in my living room.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:25 pm To me this sounds like a good reason to tell whoever that you can't talk right now. :notbad:
Unfortunately, I like to scoot out of work early sometimes for trips and take meetings from the car. Bad BT quality or "sorry, can't talk right now" won't fly.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:01 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:25 pm To me this sounds like a good reason to tell whoever that you can't talk right now. :notbad:
Unfortunately, I like to scoot out of work early sometimes for trips and take meetings from the car. Bad BT quality or "sorry, can't talk right now" won't fly.
get a nice pair of wireless earbuds.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:30 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:01 am
get a nice pair of wireless earbuds.
There aren't a set of earbuds on the planet that stay in my satellite ears.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:32 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:30 am get a nice pair of wireless earbuds.
Are you referring to the ones that have the silicone tips? Try AirPods. They are compatible with android as well. I have the Gen2’s and their shape works for me.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:40 am
Are you referring to the ones that have the silicone tips? Try AirPods. They are compatible with android as well. I have the Gen2’s and their shape works for me.
Doesn't matter, they all fall out of my ears. I had a friend bragging about AirPods. He let me try his out, and they wouldn't even sit in my ear for more than a few seconds.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:30 am get a nice pair of wireless earbuds.
Bose QC buds. Swap the rubber for the large size that comes in the packaging. I've only bought BOSE buds for the last ten years because of how comfortable they are, and how well they stay in.

Or get the cheaper non QC buds which would work fine as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

So 2021 was a record year for 4R sales volume. 144k units in the US alone, pretty remarkable for such an ancient vehicle.

But I guess that's what happens when nobody else makes anything like it. Buyers have to go somewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 am
Bose QC buds. Swap the rubber for the large size that comes in the packaging. I've only bought BOSE buds for the last ten years because of how comfortable they are, and how well they stay in.

Interesting. Usually the large size rubber still isn't large enough. Moving my head around like normal works them out all the time. I have not tried Bose yet :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:12 am

Interesting. Usually the large size rubber still isn't large enough. Moving my head around like normal works them out all the time. I have not tried Bose yet :doe:
Do you wear glasses or sun glasses? You can also get the Bose frames if you do. Fingers crossed your can make the cars BT work for you though
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:20 am Image

So 2021 was a record year for 4R sales volume. 144k units in the US alone, pretty remarkable for such an ancient vehicle.

But I guess that's what happens when nobody else makes anything like it. Buyers have to go somewhere.
It’s a shift in customer behavior everyone has money and no one gives a shit about commuter boxes. So people are buying up lifestyle vehicles. Let’s also not forget there is a wrangler and a bronco on the maket. All of which are selling great
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:29 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:20 am Image

It’s a shift in customer behavior everyone has money and no one gives a shit about commuter boxes. So people are buying up lifestyle vehicles. Let’s also not forget there is a wrangler and a bronco on the maket. All of which are selling great
Wrangler and Bronco make sense because #lyfestyle and ZOMG Open air. Plus the Bronco is brand new.

I just didn't expect the 4R to do as well, it's quite a bit more boring than the Jeep or Bronco IMO (but also why I prefer it). :wrong:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 am
Do you wear glasses or sun glasses? You can also get the Bose frames if you do. Fingers crossed your can make the cars BT work for you though
Wow, I had no idea these existed!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:50 pm :iono: The BT in my Mk6 and Mk7 were both :thisisfine: . Clear, loud enough phone calls, and decent streaming of audio from my phone.
Same for the H.
Obviously :wrong:
Yep, IMO it has worked fine in all of my cars. The streaming audio quality is kind of meh, but whatever, it's in a fucking car, it doesn't really matter. BT is just meh tech, but it works.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:35 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:29 am
Wrangler and Bronco make sense because #lyfestyle and ZOMG Open air. Plus the Bronco is brand new.

I just didn't expect the 4R to do as well, it's quite a bit more boring than the Jeep or Bronco IMO (but also why I prefer it). :wrong:
:iono: You have basically four vehicles in a red hot segment: Jeep, Bronco, 4Runner, Fendie. They all offer their own pros/cons, pick your flavor.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:35 am

:iono: You have basically four vehicles in a red hot segment: Jeep, Bronco, 4Runner, Fendie. They all offer their own pros/cons, pick your flavor.
I wonder if the Jeep and Bronco were easier to get if 4R volume would drop off. But indeed, they all do something unique, and the segment is tiny.

Been seeing more Fendies by us, people taking major gambles without a dealer close by. They sure do look neat, I totally get the wants on them. If we had a dealer, I would have seriously considered one.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:42 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 am

I wonder if the Jeep and Bronco were easier to get if 4R volume would drop off. But indeed, they all do something unique, and the segment is tiny.

Been seeing more Fendies by us, people taking major gambles without a dealer close by. They sure do look neat, I totally get the wants on them. If we had a dealer, I would have seriously considered one.
The 4 door wrangler nearly killed the 4R in 2008…
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:49 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:42 am

Exactly, which is why I'm surprised to see 4R volume continue to climb over the year despite record 4-door JL volume and added Bronco availability.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

The premium audio is kinda bullshit, there’s 2 levels of premium audio. One comes with a subwoofer, one doesn’t.

I did the 12 Volt Solution remote start on my 4R and my exs Highlander, the poverty kits using OEM remotes. Cheap and super simple plug and play install. The only down side is the range is limited to OEM remote distances, and it turns off when a door is opened.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:28 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:08 pm

Yeah, you'd think so, right?

FWIW, I think the mic is up in the overhead console. :lol:
Here I am yelling at the radio... DO YOU HEAR ME??! :derp:
:lolol: :derp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:52 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:49 am
Exactly, which is why I'm surprised to see 4R volume continue to climb over the year despite record 4-door JL volume and added Bronco availability.
Yep. Customer behavior shift. + everyone is rich now.