Adeeb's Cheese Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

You should upgrade the horn, in such a small car some times it helps to be seen. I have heard of people doing this in their motorcycles too. Also loud exhaust.
brain go brrrrrr
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:32 am You should upgrade the horn, in such a small car some times it helps to be seen. I have heard of people doing this in their motorcycles too. Also loud exhaust.
Miiiiight do a horn but I don't use it that often anyways. Exhaust is already plenty loud and if I want more I could take the glass-packed baffles out. I quite like the current volume level. If anything I want to go a tad quieter for highway drives.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

adoob wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:58 am Been MIA for a bit, classes got busier and stuff.

On the bright side, I ordered a new headunit for the car this morning. A Sony XAV-AX5500. CarPlay is the one thing I miss having from the Jetta so I had to add it to the Miata. Should be here Saturday but then I gotta figure out the wiring and such. Want to do it as cleanly as possible.

Also will be adding a reverse camera along with it.

I’ve also heard that it makes the stock Bose speakers and amp sound much better. Never been a serious audiophile but hey if I get better audio alongside my convenience I’m all for it.

Next thing is likely gonna be some seats and yellow seatbelts to match :excited:
What does it look like installed? (Headunit)

How many miles are on the Miata now
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:29 am
What does it look like installed? (Headunit)

How many miles are on the Miata now
Headunit hasn't shipped out yet, will definitely post pics when I receive it and get around to installing.

As of coming home from the UCF car club meet last night, 72,298 miles. So ~1800 miles into my ownership.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Headunit and some accompanying accessories like the dash kit and adapter harness came in today.

Was able to jankily hook it up to 12V PCIe power from my PC to test it out.

Also got a flush mount reverse camera that may take a bit to install since I really don’t want to drill into the decklid. Found a little 3D printable mounting bit that I gotta get printed. It’ll replace the trunk release button with a smaller one on the right half of the original spot, and a camera mount on the left half. Should look very nice and clean when done. Coincidentally was designed by another comp yellow NC owner.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5232263

Got a pack of crimp caps and a crimping tool to wire up the harness, and then realized I’m a few short for including the reverse camera. :rage:

So instead I went :fullretard: and ordered some nice heatshrink solder connector things along with wiring harness cloth tape, that’s coming in tomorrow. :excited:

Gonna make it look as close to OEM as possible (or better :lolol:) behind the dash even though nobody will ever see it but me and you guys if I remember to add photos.

Oh and the Crutchfield kit came with a line output converter to take the higher power speaker outs and drop them back down to line level for the Bose amp input, but the headunit already has some nice 5V preamp outs. :derp:

So I got RCA leads to use those preamp outs instead of the converter.

Never been a car audio person but if I’m gonna do an install I’m gonna do it right.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

That's :impressive: I can do some home electrical work but I'm hopeless with car audio shit. :jelly: of your skillz and fearlessness in trying.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:14 am That's :impressive: I can do some home electrical work but I'm hopeless with car audio shit. :jelly: of your skillz and fearlessness in trying.
There's always a first time with everything! I have never done car audio but since it's low voltage there's nothing I can seriously make go wrong I think. I'm used to working with PCs and stuff like Raspberry Pi's so this is only mildly out of my comfort zone.

Home electricity worries me with it being much higher voltage. My dad usually handles that stuff at our house.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Spent my relax time tonight working on the wiring harness for the headunit. These heatshrink solder things are are :neat:

Waiting on a parking brake bypass before connecting the amp remote turn on and antenna power, since it bridges off of that. Same for ground since it needs that. Reverse camera trigger will also go in when I get around to installing that, the cable is long and would be a pain to manage if I attached it right now.

Overall, :impressive: if I do say so myself. Should look even better once I wrap it all up in wiring harness tape.

Next order of business is to get the center console, center dash trim, and factory Bose radio out. Hindering progress though is the shift knob. It’s stuck. Either I’m weak or it’s seized somehow. I’ve been told there’s no threadlocker or anything of that sort on it.

:rage:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

adoob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:50 pm Hindering progress though is the shift knob. It’s stuck. Either I’m weak or it’s seized somehow. I’ve been told there’s no threadlocker or anything of that sort on it.

Set screw?
brain go brrrrrr
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:34 am
adoob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:50 pm Hindering progress though is the shift knob. It’s stuck. Either I’m weak or it’s seized somehow. I’ve been told there’s no threadlocker or anything of that sort on it.

Set screw?
none that I can see. It's a Raceseng Sphereology. Very nice knob so I'd like to not damage it taking it off.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:13 am
adoob wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:50 pm Image

Spent my relax time tonight working on the wiring harness for the headunit. These heatshrink solder things are are :neat:

Waiting on a parking brake bypass before connecting the amp remote turn on and antenna power, since it bridges off of that. Same for ground since it needs that. Reverse camera trigger will also go in when I get around to installing that, the cable is long and would be a pain to manage if I attached it right now.

Overall, :impressive: if I do say so myself. Should look even better once I wrap it all up in wiring harness tape.

Next order of business is to get the center console, center dash trim, and factory Bose radio out. Hindering progress though is the shift knob. It’s stuck. Either I’m weak or it’s seized somehow. I’ve been told there’s no threadlocker or anything of that sort on it.

Factory shift knob? Lefty-loosey, righty-tighty.
The Raceseng knob that Richard put on. Standard thread as well but it just won't budge.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:37 am
adoob wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:13 am

The Raceseng knob that Richard put on. Standard thread as well but it just won't budge.
Same deal, lefty loosey.

It’s a threaded adapter inside the knob - you might end up spinning the adapter itself off with the knob but it should come off.

Adapter details: https://raceseng.com/threaded-adapter-install-guide
yep. I just can't get it to move at all. might try warming it up with a heat gun on low or something to see if that loosens it up any.
wap

How about some mechanical assistance from something that won't damage it, like a strap wrench?
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:13 pm
wap wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:09 pm How about some mechanical assistance from something that won't damage it, like a strap wrench?
Strap wrench is a solid idea.
just ordered a strap wrench, will try that first. comes in Friday. Also got a trombone brush to clean out the rain drains, I think the passenger side is partially clogged because there's a bit of a damp smell and some moisture behind the passenger seat. It rained yesterday evening through early this morning.
wap

:fuckyeah:
Hope the wrench works.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:55 pm
adoob wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:54 pm

just ordered a strap wrench, will try that first. comes in Friday. Also got a trombone brush to clean out the rain drains, I think the passenger side is partially clogged because there's a bit of a damp smell and some moisture behind the passenger seat. It rained yesterday evening through early this morning.
I had cleaned them out when I had it, but the car lived in a garage when it was in my possession.

I’d clean them annually if it’s being parked outside.
It is being parked outside, so will do. Would love a garage but this house was formerly a model home, so the garage space is instead a den/theater room of sorts. Garage door opens up to a 4-5ft deep storage space.

No idea when Richard cleaned them last, I do think he kept it in the garage though. I remember stalling it backing out of his garage the morning I bought it :lolol:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Update: strap wrench did the trick! Put the shift knob back on loosely for now until I find time to do the headunit install. Also been looking at Raceseng's website for other knobs. The round cover section came off first and I realized I really like the size of the smaller metal center section. Considering going to a smaller knob, but I don't like the shift pattern engraving on most of the knobs. I really like the one on the Hydro as well as its shape, but something all metal seems like a bad idea in the Florida sun.
wap

:fuckyeah:
Glad to hear that it worked. 👍
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Been MIA for a bit, but good progress has been made on the car.

Headunit harness got finished up and headunit is installed. Looks like it’s meant to be there and the steering wheel button integration is :nice:

Sound also had a noticeable bump in quality.
Gonna dump a bunch of install related pics below

Center console out

Factory aux in panel pulled out, will eventually replace with a dual USB panel

Moment of truth for trying the harness before wrapping it up and making it permanent

It works! :fuckyeah:

Wiring harness wrapped up with harness tape for officialness

Decided to weigh both for curiosity.
Weight of factory headunit. CHONKY

Weight of the new headunit and fascia. Saving ~4lbs while gaining useful features is a win-win

New headunit and AC panel prepared. :neat:

It’s in!

But only that. Have to run halfway through reassembling the interior to pick up baby bro from school. Half racecar mode :hue:

Absurdly long reverse camera cable :wtf: this is after routing it from behind the headunit, around the footwell, and through the doorsill. For now just coiled up behind the driver seat until I get the mount 3D printed so I have a reason to run it into the trunk.

Bit of a time jump but fully installed with interior back together at night.

It looks and works great. Installed it all Tuesday.

Spent Wednesday morning cleaning the rain drains, wiping down the interior plastics with ONR, and fixing the parcel tray rattle.
It’s amazing how well this bit of pipe insulation does for stopping that tray from rattling due to the exhaust tone when the top is up. Way more bearable now.

Will take interior pics later but it’s just the same as always but cleaned up. It feels good to take care of a car like this. Was very :aintcare: with the Jetta towards the end of my ownership outside of getting it nice for selling because it just stopped seeming worth it for something I didn’t love anymore. But I don’t think I’m ever gonna get tired of taking care of Cheese. This thing is always worth it.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Nice! That headunit looks great. I've always been :impressive: with Sony's offerings.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Nice work!
Most :impressive:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

My ocd is killing me… can that shift knob be turned ?

Also great job !
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:09 pm My ocd is killing me… can that shift knob be turned ?

Also great job !
It has an adjustment on the adapter yeah. I was just too lazy to fix it until this morning haha.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

adoob wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:38 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:09 pm My ocd is killing me… can that shift knob be turned ?

Also great job !
It has an adjustment on the adapter yeah. I was just too lazy to fix it until this morning haha.
Glad it's fixed, I was :triggered: as well :lolol:

The install looks nice man, good work! That can really take things into this decade.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:55 am Nice! That headunit looks great. I've always been :impressive: with Sony's offerings.
wap wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:54 pm Nice work!
Most :impressive:

Also great job !
D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:16 am Glad it's fixed, I was :triggered: as well :lolol:

The install looks nice man, good work! That can really take things into this decade.
Thanks guys! Yeah it definitely makes the car feel a ton more modern. Compared to my previous Jetta this has more tech features outside of CarPlay/Android Auto such as keyless entry and automatic climate control so now this car is more advanced in every way