Adeeb's Cheese Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

:howdy:

Figured I'd make a post here to share the chronicles of the cars in my (family's) driveway, considering I'm basically in charge of taking care of all of them. We don't have a garage :( because it used to be a model home. We basically have a garage door that opens up to small storage space, and a door to a room where the garage would be.

First and foremost, my car, the one and only :cheese:

I love this thing. I took ownership of it from RLWake last Friday. I suck at driving it because it's my first :manuel: car and the last time I drove stick was years ago on my dad's shitbox Chevy Aveo. I can't wait til I'm completely comfortable with driving it. Currently I'm scared of breaking it so taking things real easy. Friday night on the way home from Ace Cafe I almost money shifted but clutched back in :sweaty: and it's been driving fine since so I think I'm good? I hope so. Been driving it mostly slow and keeping an eye on my shifting technique to make sure that doesn't happen again because that scared the shit out of me.

Here's a pic of it at the Ace next to my buddy's Mk6 TDI Sportwagen, borrowing my little bro's Rotiform LAS-Rs :ramz: while his Golf gets a turbo swap.

I plan on keeping this car forever. Or as close to that as possible. Today I felt a bit more comfortable with it, and this being my first RWD car, got the rear end loose a little bit in first gear a few times pulling away from lights where I was making a turn. :neat: Still keeping traction control on for now though. Don't trust myself with it off yet. Nor do I think I ever will outside of an empty parking lot or warehouse lot.

Can't wait till I'm fully comfortable driving the car so I can really enjoy it. But so far I already can't stop smiling every minute I drive the thing. I try to find excuses to go drive it.

Next up, my younger brother's (Akeeb) MK7 Golf:

Meet the mexican turbo yaris' slower brother, the standard Golf with the 1.8TSI. Stancy daily, with some performance stuff. At the state it was in the pic above, ECU :tuna: is Reflect Stage 2, Milltek catless Golf R downpipe into GTI catback. Kinda jank :derp: but it sounds and performs very well, with cheap used parts. Faster than a stock mex turbo yaris but :notsure: if it counts as one then. Suspension is Raceland cheapo coilovers, likely to be replaced with bags at some point.

However, it's currently in this state:

As previously mentioned, it's in the process of getting a turbo swap to an IS20 (the turbo out of a mexican turbo yaris), a thicc intercooler, and getting wrapped (we're doing all of it ourselves). Intercooler went in yesterday, today we got to almost getting the original turbo out until we got stuck on not having any triple square bits (really VW?? :really:). Amazon One-Day-ed those bits, but tomorrow is gonna be a wrap day since we're stalled on the mechanical front until those come in. Goal is to get the car running again by end of week, wrapping can wait a little.

And lastly, the parents' cars, a 2017 Acura MDX and a 2011 Toyota Sienna:

The MDX on a roadtrip down to Miami, pic taken minutes after cruising up the A1A flexing the torque vectoring AWD in the esses

MDX is mom's car that really was my dad's choice. Honestly kinda cool for what it is :notbad:. That J35 V6 has a good note, exhaust is surprisingly loud for factory "boring car". SH-AWD paired with the 9 speed's gearing is like magic. That thing corners and accelerates in ways no SUV of this class has reason to. I enjoy it on the occasions that I get to drive it. No serious hooning but it pulls nice on the highway. That roadtrip normally takes 4hrs to get back with parents driving, I did it in 3 in this :pftch:

:minivan: but Toyota, don't really have a good pic of this one but it's nothing impressive

The Sienna was the previous family hauler and restaurant supply "truck" (we run a restaurant and use it to haul supplies from the supply store to the restaurant), but after getting the MDX it's basically only used for supply runs and as a spare vehicle. It's kinda beat up, with a massive dent on the passenger side sliding door from my dad scraping a parking bollard at the airport's parking garage. It's like a beater minus the falling apart part. The engine mounts are on their way out, :doe:.

So yeah, there's that. Gonna be posting more :cheese: pics and Golf progress here. Probably won't post much about the other two unless something catastropic or otherwise interesting happens to them.
Last edited by adoob on Fri May 20, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hi Adoob, great first post up, congrats on the new to you NC and :whalecum: sir!

My first self purchased car was the 1990 Nissan 240sx, another small, light, rwd :manuel: car that I didn't know how to drive properly. It didn't take much time, cause i was also driving it as much as I could when i first got it. I loved that thing so much and still think of it and the adventures we had together.

It'll be interesting to follow along with this car, and the overclocked golf.... good luck with that thing lol
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Welcome Island Boy! Given the state of the lingo you used in your post, you’ll fit right in here :)
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 am Loving the energy dude. You'll be a pro at driving :manuel: in no time.
:dat:

Once the muscle memory kicks in, you'll be fine.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:22 am Loving the energy dude. You'll be a pro at driving :manuel: in no time.

:fuckyeah: to be learning a skill you'll never forget. I haven't driven :manuel: primarily in years, and I'm always amazed how it comes back to me when I need it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Hell yeah man!

We are all stoked to get new members around here.

You will indeed get the hang of the :manuel: in no time. Miatas are great cars to learn on. I highly doubt you'll break anything, you just get better with each day of driving around in the thing. I learned on my 1997 Shitvic, I went out with my dad for about 10 minutes, he was like 'seems like you get the concept' and sent me on my way. You'll get the hang of it and be practicing heal-toeing and stuff in no time.

Looking forward to turBRO swap updates!
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wet cheese :megusta:

Triple square bits have arrived, golf’s turbo swap continues tomorrow. We skipped the wrapping today too because of the rain. Aiming to at least have the old turbo out tomorrow, and maybe to put the new one in if we work at a good pace.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:23 am and the overclocked golf.... good luck with that thing lol
:hue:

Transmission full of neutrals incoming (hopefully not for real). It’s the 6 speed auto (not DSG) officially rated for 258lbft. In my Jetta with JB4 tuna I ran ~280lbft through it fine, I think this is gonna put it at 300-320? Not sure on exact numbers, gotta ask my bro to get that from his tuner.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:09 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:23 am and the overclocked golf.... good luck with that thing lol

Transmission full of neutrals incoming (hopefully not for real). It’s the 6 speed auto (not DSG) officially rated for 258lbft. In my Jetta with JB4 tuna I ran ~280lbft through it fine, I think this is gonna put it at 300-320? Not sure on exact numbers, gotta ask my bro to get that from his tuner.
:popcorn: :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also feel free to stop by the OT threads if you'd like to shoot the shit about nothing/something/everything and get to know us :jackass: a bit better.

In4aboob backstory.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

adoob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:09 pm

Ha, VW transmissions prove themselves to be rated like 9.99% above factory spec before something gives.. but like your Jetta, you never know what you'll get. I just got rid of my 17R and a guy came by to pick up my exhaust. He tuned his 17R/DSG and says that the tranny needed w tune to handle the extra torque. I can't see that story ending well but that's why they get labeled 'unreliable', like, :yeahok:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:16 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:34 am :dat:

:fuckyeah: to be learning a skill you'll never forget. I haven't driven :manuel: primarily in years, and I'm always amazed how it comes back to me when I need it.
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:28 pm Hell yeah man!

You will indeed get the hang of the :manuel: in no time. Miatas are great cars to learn on. I highly doubt you'll break anything, you just get better with each day of driving around in the thing. I learned on my 1997 Shitvic, I went out with my dad for about 10 minutes, he was like 'seems like you get the concept' and sent me on my way. You'll get the hang of it and be practicing heal-toeing and stuff in no time.

Been practicing rev matching the couple times I drove today so I think it’s going well! Also noticed that putting it into gear gets a little easier if I either time the rpm drop right for upshifts or if I’m taking too long to shift, blipping the throttle up a bit to where it should be.

I’m getting the hang of it! :fuckyeah:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:21 pm Also feel free to stop by the OT threads if you'd like to shoot the shit about nothing/something/everything and get to know us :jackass: a bit better.

In4aboob backstory.
Will definitely get around to it sometime. Been too exhausted to think about anything other than the turbro swap stuff and Miata stuff. On winter break from college currently, planned to apply for jobs and pick up a programming project or something but none of that has happened lol.
wap

adoob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:51 pm

Been practicing rev matching the couple times I drove today so I think it’s going well! Also noticed that putting it into gear gets a little easier if I either time the rpm drop right for upshifts or if I’m taking too long to shift, blipping the throttle up a bit to where it should be.

:fuckyeah:
It's getting fun now, isn't it? :megusta:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I do believe Zil said this car has auto rev matching as well? You could use that as a tool to learn which rpm the car needs at various speed at whatever gear, then it becomes muscle memory.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:21 pm Also feel free to stop by the OT threads if you'd like to shoot the shit about nothing/something/everything and get to know us :jackass: a bit better.

In4aboob backstory.
Will definitely get around to it sometime. Been too exhausted to think about anything other than the turbro swap stuff and Miata stuff. On winter break from college currently, planned to apply for jobs and pick up a programming project or something but none of that has happened lol.
:nice:

What are you in college for?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:51 pm

:word: sounds like you're going it right.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:38 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:46 am I do believe Zil said this car has auto rev matching as well? You could use that as a tool to learn which rpm the car needs at various speed at whatever gear, then it becomes muscle memory.
Only under heavy braking and at a certain RPM - it's meant only for aggressive driving.
Sounds like he needs to drive more aggressively :iono:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:18 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:14 pm

Sounds like he needs to drive more aggressively :iono:
:stig:

Sounds like a recipe for a money shift. :yikes:
Then 2.5 swap
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:21 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:18 pm

:stig:

Sounds like a recipe for a money shift. :yikes:
Then :ellis: swap
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:21 pm

Then :ellis: swap
:notbad:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:56 pm
:nice:

What are you in college for?
Bit complicated, but Interdisciplinary Studies with a Comp Sci minor. Was a Computer Engineering major but struggled to keep up and failed out, so this is a backup basically. Heavily leaning on that compsci minor because the tech field is where I most feel at home. Looking to get into an IT or software dev position after I graduate in spring.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:28 pm
there is no :ellis: swap happening, but I have been dreaming of a 2.5 waaaaaaaay into my ownership of this car maybe. 2.5 with ITBs and all the high RPM goodies.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

IS12 out, IS20 turbro bolted in as of today. Still need to button up the coolant and oil feed and returns and a bunch of other reassembly stuff. Long list of stuff that we can hopefully knock out tomorrow. Ton of cleanup to do in the process as well because we've been throwing shit everywhere instead of being civilized and organized about it :lolol:

wap

adoob wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:09 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:17 pm

there is no :ellis: swap happening, but I have been dreaming of a 2.5 waaaaaaaay into my ownership of this car maybe. 2.5 with ITBs and all the high RPM goodies.
:(