Adeeb's Cheese Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 am
adoob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am Gave the car a quick wash last Saturday to prep for grad photos the morning after. Got bored while waiting for my my photographer friend to show up so I took photos of the car while I waited.

And then once he got here I had a few photos with the car taken :hai:

Awesome! So cool to have some grad photos with the car, those will be fun to look back on.

I enjoy going through photos of my old cars. They seldom have me in it, but sometimes there's one or two and I'm :mindblown: by how young I look in them.
It feels a little dorky getting pictures of the car with you in it, but down the line it's pretty cool to have.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

D Griff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:17 pm
Nice man, these pics will definitely be cool to have over time to remember the graduation, the car (or this stage of it if you keep it for a long time), and everything.

Why are you making it less loud?
Keeping this thing for as long as possible. Can’t see myself getting rid of it ever lol

I got it with the baffles in it, and took them out to try louder, but decided the amount of bassy drone on the highway was just a bit too much for me. I loooove the extra burbles and crackle it has without the baffles but I find myself tired of the noise after highway drives.

The way it was with the baffles in was perfect in hindsight. Just enough burble and pops for fun but smooth quieter note at low revs. So that’s what I’m putting it back to.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Detroit wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 am Awesome! So cool to have some grad photos with the car, those will be fun to look back on.

I enjoy going through photos of my old cars. They seldom have me in it, but sometimes there's one or two and I'm :mindblown: by how young I look in them.
Same. This is only my third car ever but I like looking back on memories of drives with friends and the like.

Occasionally my friends will catch a candid of me by our cars and I’m :mindblown: by how grown up I look. My mental image of myself seems to still be that of a kid :lolol:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:57 am Going to say it. Turning a garage into 3/4 extra living space and 1/4 storage is a heinous affront to all that is good and holy. I'm sure your folks had reasons.
I think I recall from the earlier postings that the home came that way due to being a model home... gotta get those nice big rooms and open concept spaces for the [user not found], :bruh:

:disgust:

A lot of people turn garages into additional living space where I live... same thing Chris said, no basements :disappoint: Also no houses in my area (and likely much of the south) had garages when built between 1910ish and 1980ish.
Yep, previous owner (or some other owner in the history). I really wish it was an actual garage. Would make life so much easier.

Also yeah it’s common to make it into like a home gym or put in a billiards table or whatnot, but having an actual wall built is something I’ve never actually seen other than this house. :derp:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:55 am [quote=max225 post_id=516353 time=<a href="tel:1652157006">1652157006</a> user_id=65]
Congrats and great pics !
+1
[/quote]
max225 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:30 am Congrats and great pics !
Thanks guys!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:01 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:30 am Awesome! So cool to have some grad photos with the car, those will be fun to look back on.

Same. This is only my third car ever but I like looking back on memories of drives with friends and the like.

Occasionally my friends will catch a candid of me by our cars and I’m :mindblown: by how grown up I look. My mental image of myself seems to still be that of a kid :lolol:
Dat beard, think it gives a few extra years in many cases.

Definitely hear you on putting the baffles back in to quiet things down. Pretty cool to have the option though, if it's ever a second car and you're not highway sloggin' in it, it could be :notbad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

adoob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am Gave the car a quick wash last Saturday to prep for grad photos the morning after. Got bored while waiting for my my photographer friend to show up so I took photos of the car while I waited.

And then once he got here I had a few photos with the car taken :hai:

Those pics are 5/7, deff something to look back on for sure!! Also congrats!! :fuckyeah: One of the best feelings of all.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Post just to be last in every new thread on here.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:16 pm Post just to be last in every new thread on here.
:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Somewhat a milestone! 506 miles until it’s been in my ownershit for 5000 miles

Might be making poor financial decisions tonight and ordering mods
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

A couple mods have been/will be bought. :megusta:

I was gonna go full send on a new steering wheel and matching nappa leather shift and parking brake boots from Guardian Designs but decided that's a little too financially irresponsible for now. :trollface:

So instead I bought the Track Dog Racing Super Cool Airflow kit that frees up some radiator airflow by relocating stuff in the engine bay. Need to source an NA/NB battery for it as well. It should help with AC though, it seems airflow through the condenser+radiator assembly is what limits it. Also ordering some sound deadening as we speak. Want to quiet down the space under the top storage/parcel tray area because it seems that's where most of the noise comes from when driving with the top up. Find myself doing that more with how sunny and hot it's getting.

I put together a spreadshit of all the things I wanna do to the car and uh... :wasteful:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:48 pm A couple mods have been/will be bought. :megusta:

I was gonna go full send on a new steering wheel and matching nappa leather shift and parking brake boots from Guardian Designs but decided that's a little too financially irresponsible for now. :trollface:

So instead I bought the Track Dog Racing Super Cool Airflow kit that frees up some radiator airflow by relocating stuff in the engine bay. Need to source an NA/NB battery for it as well. It should help with AC though, it seems airflow through the condenser+radiator assembly is what limits it. Also ordering some sound deadening as we speak. Want to quiet down the space under the top storage/parcel tray area because it seems that's where most of the noise comes from when driving with the top up. Find myself doing that more with how sunny and hot it's getting.

I put together a spreadshit of all the things I wanna do to the car and uh... :wasteful:
I knew you fit in well here.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:51 pm
adoob wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:48 pm A couple mods have been/will be bought. :megusta:

:dat:
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:51 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:22 pm :dat:
:lolol:
:wub:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Man the AC is struggling with the summer heat in FL. Sitting in the school pick up car line for baby bro the AC is blowing slightly warm air going full blast, sun shade up on the windshield, with 92 degree ambient.

I did fill the refrigerant on the low side just to be safe, might need to bump it up a bit more. Also hopefully that relocation/airflow kit helps some. Once I get moving it cools down some so I think it’s just not enough air moving over the condenser
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Parts came in today, installed the ECU relocation today. Looks great.

Before:

After:

Hopefully that airflow helps with the AC and just general Florida heat things. If anything it just looks real nice and cleaner.

But something tells me that’s not why the AC is struggling :doomed:

Decided to check the r134a while I was out there, and it read 30psi. According to the internet it should be 45-55 at a 90 degree F ambient. I got it to 43 and ran out of r134a (used the rest of the same can as last time). Blowing nice and cold now, but something tells me there’s a leak.

Oh well :aintcare: R134a is cheap and easy to fill until I’ve got money/time to chase down the leak.

Installing the rest of the the relocation stuff over the next few days.
wap

Where does the ecu relocate to?
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm Where does the ecu relocate to?
Gets mounted vertically next to the fusebox, instead of its usual laid flat orientation on the plastic cover that got removed.

Also did the washer fluid bottle relocation this morning, moves it back by the firewall on the passenger side to make room for the new battery mount. Still need to extend the washer fluid pump's wiring harness though.

wap

adoob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:31 pm
wap wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:39 pm Where does the ecu relocate to?
Gets mounted vertically next to the fusebox, instead of its usual laid flat orientation on the plastic cover that got removed.

Also did the washer fluid bottle relocation this morning, moves it back by the firewall on the passenger side to make room for the new battery mount. Still need to extend the washer fluid pump's wiring harness though.

:word:
Should help somewhat with airflow, no?
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

wap wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:56 pm
:word:
Should help somewhat with airflow, no?
That’s the idea at least. I should’ve waited on recharging the AC to see if this makes a difference. Now I can’t tell how much of the cooling performance is due to proper r134a level or more airflow. :derp:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

So the power steering fluid reservoir relocation requires emptying said reservoir, figured it's a good time to replace at least some of the fluid instead of putting the old stuff back in.

Anyone got any recommendations on what I should pick up on my next AutoZone run?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:13 pm So the power steering fluid reservoir relocation requires emptying said reservoir, figured it's a good time to replace at least some of the fluid instead of putting the old stuff back in.

Anyone got any recommendations on what I should pick up on my next AutoZone run?
I'd google it/check the Miata forums, some cars use power steering fluid, some tranny fluid, etc. I tend to get the Redline version often times, you can put in the car info on their site and it will tell you what's recommended.

That said, when in doubt, OEM is always good.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:58 pm
I'd google it/check the Miata forums, some cars use power steering fluid, some tranny fluid, etc. I tend to get the Redline version often times, you can put in the car info on their site and it will tell you what's recommended.

That said, when in doubt, OEM is always good.
General consensus on forums and r/Miata is Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or redline ATF. Ordered a Mobil 1 synthetic quart along with the NA/NB battery and another can of R134a.

Walked in to pick up the order early and was told to come back midday tomorrow, and got an email that it was ready within 5 minutes of getting home :rage:

Picking it up first thing in the morning.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Battery picked up this morning, got working on pulling the factory mount out, went to put in the Track Dog Racing one, and realized it bumps up against the high pressure AC line :rage:

In the guide they have up on their site, the AC line appears to be roughly two inches to the right compared to mine, clearing the bracket perfectly. Called their support to see what was up. The guy that picked up has the kit on his personal NC, but the smaller one with the powersports battery, so he wasn’t familiar with having to mess with the AC line when installing his. He told me the guy who does the Na/NB size battery installs won’t be in until Monday.

Not wanting to wait because daily car, and after much hesitation, I gently bent the line out of the way :sweaty: and started mocking up the mount and battery placement to make sure everything fits, and again the corner of the battery bumped the line in a harder to bend area towards the front. More rigid because of the existing bends and sensor mount.

:thisisfine:

I then bent the line there and got the battery to fit but I was majorly worried about having messed up the AC system or made the potentially existing leak worse.

Last thing left before it could actually be mounted is drilling on hole into the frame for the j-hook that hold the left side of the battery, but all my attempts failed at making anything more than a minuscule mark. Needed to get a proper metal drill bit.

Running out of time before I needed to drive the car and pick up the littlest brother from school, I quickly threw the factory mount and battery back in. Started it up and got straight to checking AC low side pressure and saw all was good, and felt cold air out the vents, so the line-bending didn’t have any immediately noticeable adverse effects. Will see what happens over the next few days. I think I’m gonna take a break and get back to this next week when stress is down.

And that’s how net progress today ended up at 0. :derp:

But I am loving how everything I’ve done to the car so far has only needed a 10mm socket and a flathead screwdriver. This is what automotive bliss is like, huh?
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

A couple days ago, the :meata: got its first oil change under my ownership. Being my first time under the car, I did some exploration while I was there, and was just laying there in :amaze:

All the aluminum suspension bits :fancy:, the little Nurburgrings on the shocks, the power plant frame thing bracing the engine-trans-diff assembly together. Very cool to see all that. Also the car is super clean underneath. Minor surface rust in a couple areas as expected from age but otherwise in incredible condition.

The oil filter position is a bit of a pain, almost impossible to not spill any, but it is what it is.