Adeeb's Cheese Adventures

Strut your greasy stuff!
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Gave the car a good wash and coating of p&s beadmaker yesterday. It sat under a tree at my friend’s house since Thursday because we left for the Sebring 12hrs and 1000miles, and birds shat on it while we were gone.

Also noticed it’s got a couple hard water spots that I gotta figure out how to clean up.
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

adoob wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:01 am Image

Gave the car a good wash and coating of p&s beadmaker yesterday. It sat under a tree at my friend’s house since Thursday because we left for the Sebring 12hrs and 1000miles, and birds shat on it while we were gone.

Also noticed it’s got a couple hard water spots that I gotta figure out how to clean up.
Looks great! :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gotta use that garage as a garage man ! Also car looks great
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:28 pm

Check out the second pic, it is only like 4' deep :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:25 pm So happy to see you giving the ol’ :meata: a good ol rub.
:dat: :fap: :jizz:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:28 pm

Wish I could! Would make doing maintenance so much easier. It's only like 5ft in depth haha. Hopefully moving out of parents' house by the end of the year, garage is a big priority for the next spot.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

[user not found] wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:25 pm So happy to see you giving the ol’ :meata: a good ol rub.
Many more rubs to come!

Also considering repainting the front bumper to clean up rock chips and make it match closer to the rest of the paint. There's a bit of a noticeable color difference between it and the rest of the car. Probably just faded some.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

So the heat has picked up a little down here in FL, and the :meata: seems to be struggling a bit with it. For the past week when the heat came in, it would blow barely cold air when stopped on a sunny day around noon, but would get cold again once I got moving. Today, it was blowing warm air stopped at 84 degrees outside and partly cloudy, and started to blow cool after a few minutes of getting moving. Richard told me well before selling me the car that the AC is weak, but this seems to be even weaker than he said. Will need to take a look at what's up with it before the summer heat really sets in :sweaty:. Also with Ramadan coming up, getting in the car when it's real hot and I'm fasting and unable to drink water will be quite the challenge lol.

I'll probably take a look at the refrigerant pressure this weekend with the gauge thing that came with the r134a cans I bought for the Sienna ages ago. Revving the engine a bit to spin up the compressor more doesn't seem to do much to cool the air, so I'm thinking it's most likely something to do with the condenser. Maybe just not getting enough flow through it. Fan is definitely spinning, can hear it and engine temp on the gauge looks perfect (it is a dummy gauge though). I've also been looking at the Track Dog Racing "Super Cool" kit that relocates stuff in the engine bay to give the radiator assembly more space to breathe. I doubt the compressor itself is having problems, but who knows. My Jetta grenaded its compressor at 35k miles, but that seized it up and nearly caused the engine to stall when the compressor clutch engaged.

:derp:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

adoob wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:26 pm So the heat has picked up a little down here in FL, and the :meata: seems to be struggling a bit with it. For the past week when the heat came in, it would blow barely cold air when stopped on a sunny day around noon, but would get cold again once I got moving. Today, it was blowing warm air stopped at 84 degrees outside and partly cloudy, and started to blow cool after a few minutes of getting moving. Richard told me well before selling me the car that the AC is weak, but this seems to be even weaker than he said. Will need to take a look at what's up with it before the summer heat really sets in :sweaty:. Also with Ramadan coming up, getting in the car when it's real hot and I'm fasting and unable to drink water will be quite the challenge lol.

I'll probably take a look at the refrigerant pressure this weekend with the gauge thing that came with the r134a cans I bought for the Sienna ages ago. Revving the engine a bit to spin up the compressor more doesn't seem to do much to cool the air, so I'm thinking it's most likely something to do with the condenser. Maybe just not getting enough flow through it. Fan is definitely spinning, can hear it and engine temp on the gauge looks perfect (it is a dummy gauge though). I've also been looking at the Track Dog Racing "Super Cool" kit that relocates stuff in the engine bay to give the radiator assembly more space to breathe. I doubt the compressor itself is having problems, but who knows. My Jetta grenaded its compressor at 35k miles, but that seized it up and nearly caused the engine to stall when the compressor clutch engaged.

:derp:
I've been good at ac, and also fucked shit up.

Its an older car, you likely need a taste of refrigerant. All 134a systems need good airflow over the condenser to work well, and reving the engine should not really help a ton in that dept. But what you describe sounds like low pressure. Dont be alarmed its a leak, like I said car is like 10 years old and just needs a taste. Newer (post 2000's) 134a systems got really good, and later ones really efficient, so they use very little refrigerant. BE CAREFUL TO NOT OVERCHARGE OR YOU WILL NUKE THE COMPRESSOR. Look at hood sticker to see what volume of system is, then look at your can. you cant measure weight without 'the' machine, but just dont be stupid; if the system total weight is 20oz (1lb 4oz) and you got a 12oz can....chances are to get back to good you dont need to throw the whole can in. Since you are DIYing it, just use good judgment here and put some in till it blows colder at idle, then live with it a week and see if its acceptable to you.

good luck you got this
brain go brrrrrr
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Yeah so I’ve read the system is specced at 1lb, someone said 15.87oz (probably conversion from metric). I feel like if there’s a leak I should get that looked at first, because releasing refrigerant into the air doesn’t seem like a great idea.

I do think it’s just not getting enough air over the condenser, but we shall see. Considering the airflow kit that I mentioned earlier and also looked at a heater core bypass since there’s always coolant flowing through it. Saw a guide with a ball valve to toggle it that does it pretty cleanly in the engine bay next to the firewall. Pretty rare that I need heat here in FL so having the AC work better and just having less radiant heat in the cabin would be nice.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:58 am Yeah so I’ve read the system is specced at 1lb, someone said 15.87oz (probably conversion from metric). I feel like if there’s a leak I should get that looked at first, because releasing refrigerant into the air doesn’t seem like a great idea.

I do think it’s just not getting enough air over the condenser, but we shall see. Considering the airflow kit that I mentioned earlier and also looked at a heater core bypass since there’s always coolant flowing through it. Saw a guide with a ball valve to toggle it that does it pretty cleanly in the engine bay next to the firewall. Pretty rare that I need heat here in FL so having the AC work better and just having less radiant heat in the cabin would be nice.
what year is that car? a 14 or 15? its almost 10 years old.

Things leak. Refrigerant is no exception and it will leak slowly even if nothing is wrong. R-134a is not toxic to the environment. its ok if you put a little in, and you are wrong, and it leaks out again. My 2 cents
brain go brrrrrr
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:03 am
adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:58 am Yeah so I’ve read the system is specced at 1lb, someone said 15.87oz (probably conversion from metric). I feel like if there’s a leak I should get that looked at first, because releasing refrigerant into the air doesn’t seem like a great idea.

Things leak. Refrigerant is no exception and it will leak slowly even if nothing is wrong. R-134a is not toxic to the environment. its ok if you put a little in, and you are wrong, and it leaks out again. My 2 cents
A 2009 so it’s 13 years old. And true. I’ll put a little in and see how long it lasts before getting low again. If it’s too quick then I’ll have it looked at for a leak
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:07 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:03 am

A 2009 so it’s 13 years old. And true. I’ll put a little in and see how long it lasts before getting low again. If it’s too quick then I’ll have it looked at for a leak
Solid plan. It seems that around year 8-10 cars need a bump of refrigerant in my experience independent of miles. I gave my gti a bump when it was 8 or 9 years old because it was struggling, and subsequently it threw ice out the vents till I sold it.
brain go brrrrrr
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Did two things just now.

Took out the exhaust baffles for the first time to hear the exhaust uncorked. Sadly one of the bolts snapped even with copious amounts of WD-40 and PB Blaster. The other was fine.

Started the car afterwards, noticed it wasn’t much louder at idle but the tone was nicer. Will see when driving. But anyways started it with AC on full cold blast and then hooked up the r134a nozzle thing to low side with a can of plain r134a without sealants, saw it was sitting around 20psi. Looked up pressure it should be at 75 degree ambient and saw 35-45psi, so I filled it until it read 35 to be on the safe side. 12oz can still felt like it had most of it left which is good. Don’t have a thermometer that I can stick in there but air feels colder. Not a particularly hot day here though so we’ll see how it fares.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

hehehe the burbles and pops with those baffles removed have me giggling like a little kid. It already popped when driving it hard but now it burbles ALL the time.

Might leave them out. Depends on how it fares on the highway. Will see on my Monday commute
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

adoob wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:06 pm hehehe the burbles and pops with those baffles removed have me giggling like a little kid. It already popped when driving it hard but now it burbles ALL the time.

Might leave them out. Depends on how it fares on the highway. Will see on my Monday commute
:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Gave the car a quick wash last Saturday to prep for grad photos the morning after. Got bored while waiting for my my photographer friend to show up so I took photos of the car while I waited.

And then once he got here I had a few photos with the car taken :hai:

adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Oh and yesterday I got ahold of new bolts for the baffles, but only had the chance to put one back in because I still need to drill out the half bolt that’s in the one that I took out of the passenger side. I put the driver side one in the passenger side this time since I’m only running one until I drill it out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am Gave the car a quick wash last Saturday to prep for grad photos the morning after. Got bored while waiting for my my photographer friend to show up so I took photos of the car while I waited.

Nice man, these pics will definitely be cool to have over time to remember the graduation, the car (or this stage of it if you keep it for a long time), and everything.

Why are you making it less loud?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Congrats and great pics !
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:30 am Congrats and great pics !
+1
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Going to say it. Turning a garage into 3/4 extra living space and 1/4 storage is a heinous affront to all that is good and holy. I'm sure your folks had reasons.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

adoob wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:22 am Gave the car a quick wash last Saturday to prep for grad photos the morning after. Got bored while waiting for my my photographer friend to show up so I took photos of the car while I waited.

Awesome! So cool to have some grad photos with the car, those will be fun to look back on.

I enjoy going through photos of my old cars. They seldom have me in it, but sometimes there's one or two and I'm :mindblown: by how young I look in them.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:57 am Going to say it. Turning a garage into 3/4 extra living space and 1/4 storage is a heinous affront to all that is good and holy. I'm sure your folks had reasons.
Common in FL and where you live where basements aren't a thing and houses are relatively small.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:57 am Going to say it. Turning a garage into 3/4 extra living space and 1/4 storage is a heinous affront to all that is good and holy. I'm sure your folks had reasons.
I think I recall from the earlier postings that the home came that way due to being a model home... gotta get those nice big rooms and open concept spaces for the [user not found], :bruh:

:disgust:

A lot of people turn garages into additional living space where I live... same thing Chris said, no basements :disappoint: Also no houses in my area (and likely much of the south) had garages when built between 1910ish and 1980ish.