Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:52 pm Not a day goes by where I don't see a single asian female with a mask on 3" from the steering wheel in her white tesla model 3 or Y... on the freeway at 45mph
Right. Never going to buy a Tesla. Your red Model 3 above with the custom wheels is a major outlier. My weirdo neighbor and his wife across the street appear to be some sort of COVID refugees from El Lay....they have a white model 3. My ride from LAX to home in the back of a newish Model Y getting my spine compressed by every expansion joint on the 1-10 in a seat low enough for a four year old? :nope:
You're not a man who is looking for cheap 0FG transport and has a knack for behemoth SUVs from a bygone era with plenty of brubs.
A model 3 fills a different nieche. IMO it is the easiest to use, cheapest to own EV vehicle one can purchase in the USA today. And it CAN be significantly cheaper than most other sedans including something as shitty as a Honda Civic base in high gas price states. (West Coast)
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:11 pm Now a Lucid Air Sapphire..........that will work.
My neighbor who was an early adopter doesn't have great things to say about em... car was out of commission for longer than the LemonX but he has more patience than someone with a 7 month CF.
The Sapphire is the bick dick one with 1200hp that looks like a Dodge Brotherhood of Muscle product.....I'm just saying its a good looking electric car. Yes, it would be stupid to buy one for basic transportation.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:18 pm

Right. Never going to buy a Tesla. Your red Model 3 above with the custom wheels is a major outlier. My weirdo neighbor and his wife across the street appear to be some sort of COVID refugees from El Lay....they have a white model 3. My ride from LAX to home in the back of a newish Model Y getting my spine compressed by every expansion joint on the 1-10 in a seat low enough for a four year old? :nope:
You're not a man who is looking for cheap 0FG transport and has a knack for behemoth SUVs from a bygone era with plenty of brubs.
A model 3 fills a different nieche. IMO it is the easiest to use, cheapest to own EV vehicle one can purchase in the USA today. And it CAN be significantly cheaper than most other sedans including something as shitty as a Honda Civic base in high gas price states. (West Coast)
If I had to commute and was blowing fat stacks getting to my job I would buy a Prius Prime XSE for $40K, NOT a Model 3. That way when I wanted to drive someplace fun away from my job on the weekend I could actually do so. I think there is part of the Tesla buying population that hates cars, hates internal combustion anything, and is THRILLED to drive a cheap golf cart to work. All of these people should be rounded up and exported to Western Australia. I will mostly certainly never drive the same car they do.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 pm

If I had to commute and was blowing fat stacks getting to my job I would buy a Prius Prime XSE for $40K, NOT a Model 3. That way when I wanted to drive someplace fun away from my job on the weekend I could actually do so. I think there is part of the Tesla buying population that hates cars, hates internal combustion anything, and is THRILLED to drive a cheap golf cart to work. All of these people should be rounded up and exported to Western Australia. I will mostly certainly never drive the same car they do.
Yep. Same demographic used to buy corollas/camrys etc
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Buying experience may be part of it too. Aren't scumbag :dillerman: marking up primes too?

My brother in law is trading in his 3 for a Y and the process is so easy. No :bs:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: It has just become what the Corolla was ten years ago... it's fine but :disgust: if you're an enthusiast. I don't see the problem with 'em, but definitely have zero desire myself.

I think the Model S is good looking and the 3 hideous :iono: That's really not the point, it is essentially poverty-spec transportation for people who are forced to have cars but don't want a car. I wish the gov would focus more on alternate transit infrastructure instead of making everyone buy these shitboxes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm

Buying experience may be part of it too. Aren't scumbag :dillerman: marking up primes too?

My brother in law is trading in his 3 for a Y and the process is so easy. No :bs:
Yep, I'd rather have a Prius, but I think a Model 3 is quite a bit cheaper at this point.

Also, I drove a 2014 Prius the other day. Holy shit, biggest POS I've driven in a long time. It feels like a 5K pound boat.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:56 pm

Yep, I'd rather have a Prius, but I think a Model 3 is quite a bit cheaper at this point.

Also, I drove a 2014 Prius the other day. Holy shit, biggest POS I've driven in a long time. It feels like a 5K pound boat.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

I saw a new prius in the wild.

I dont hate it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

The crazy part is a prius is more expensive than a model 3. (to lease/own)
Desertbreh

Fully loaded Prius Crime is the same price as the starting price for a Model 3, $39K
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:34 pm

Fully loaded Prius Crime is the same price as the starting price for a Model 3, $39K
$299 a month lease bruh. Buying is for suckers at the moment. With 7% interest rates and savings accounts paying $5.5%
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 pm I saw a new prius in the wild.

I dont hate it.
For the first time? I've seen hundreds... I've even rented two :lolol: I've logged probably 1K miles in them, they're nice. That 10 year old one though, holy shit it was bad.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:34 pm

$299 a month lease bruh. Buying is for suckers at the moment. With 7% interest rates and savings accounts paying $5.5%
I'd consider a Prius Crime a long term hold. Also, shelling out $40K for an acceptable appliance that gets 50mpg is fine with me. Paying $140K for a Porsche when that money spins off 5.5% is less fine.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:37 pm

I'd consider a Prius Crime a long term hold. Also, shelling out $40K for an acceptable appliance that gets 50mpg is fine with me. Paying $140K for a Porsche when that money spins off 5.5% is less fine.
:amazing: compare.
Desertbreh

Leasing poverty electric tupperware for $299/month so I can commute to my jerb. No thanks.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:47 pm

Just shows that I don't have enough money to not give a fuck about $140K. But I do have enought money to not give a fuck about $40K.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:52 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:49 pm

Just shows that I don't have enough money to not give a fuck about $140K. But I do have enought money to not give a fuck about $40K.
You should give a fuck about both
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:52 pm

OF COURSE. But no lease deal on a Model 3 is going to move me to action, even though it should by pure green visor car hater economics. Stop talking about cars, stop talking about M3s, M2s, sports cars, fun, pleasure in general. Wear Costco Signature Sweatshirts and drink Costco Signature Vokda with tap water, to wash down your $1.50 hot dogs in your depreciation free last cheap Tacoma while your wife and your son lavishly whisk themselves about in an electric BMW.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 pm

Stop talking about cars, stop talking about M3s, M2s, sports cars, fun, pleasure in general. Wear Costco Signature Sweatshirts and drink Costco Signature Vokda with tap water, to wash down your $1.50 hot dogs in your depreciation free last cheap Tacoma while your wife and your son lavishly whisk themselves about in an electric BMW.
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Imma make sure this lands on Max's tombstone
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:55 pm

:dat: It has just become what the Corolla was ten years ago... it's fine but :disgust: if you're an enthusiast. I don't see the problem with 'em, but definitely have zero desire myself.

I think the Model S is good looking and the 3 hideous :iono: That's really not the point, it is essentially poverty-spec transportation for people who are forced to have cars but don't want a car. I wish the gov would focus more on alternate transit infrastructure instead of making everyone buy these shitboxes.
I can barely tell them apart. :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

My bro and SIL have a mid-late teens Prius. It's probably the worst car I've been in in a generation. Unbelievably awful. It also hasn't been super reliable either. Bro hates it too, lol.
wap

OF COURSE. But no lease deal on a Model 3 is going to move me to action, even though it should by pure green visor car hater economics. Stop talking about cars, stop talking about M3s, M2s, sports cars, fun, pleasure in general. Wear Costco Signature Sweatshirts and drink Costco Signature Vokda with tap water, to wash down your $1.50 hot dogs in your depreciation free last cheap Tacoma while your wife and your son lavishly whisk themselves about in an electric BMW.
:amaze:
max225

I feel attacked :lol:
Fun has a place. Boring cars have a place as well. Combo is key imo.

Having a fun car you’re forced to commute with through the hellscape of murderous hooker infested gas station and broken endlessly potholes Baghdad freeways is not my idea of fun.

Balloon tires in a long term ev rental is the way to go imo.

Same goes for the weekends, if I had a model 3 on the weekends in the winery parking lot I would not be happy. Eff that