Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I know it’s text, but damn :dillerman: could at least take the time to proofread.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:56 am I know it’s text, but damn :dillerman: could at least take the time to proofread.
:dat:
:disgust: So unprofessional.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:56 am I know it’s text, but damn :dillerman: could at least take the time to proofread.
I hate that this is now acceptable... :disgust:

Sadly I don't think the Type R bubble is ever going to burst, no one will get new ones for MSRP unless they have some kind of homey hookup.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 1:34 pm

Sadly I don't think the Type R bubble is ever going to burst, no one will get new ones for MSRP unless they have some kind of homey hookup.
Thats the :sad: part and on top of it, there will be someone biting that bait for that "deal" basically waiting for the idiot who will jump on it, or has strong desire for one
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I am :notsure: there are 2-3 at Most dealers around me. Honda also raised the msrp significantly … and the demographic for these cars tends to be a bit more on the blue collar side. Inflation and interest rates makes for a $1200 monthly… coupled with insurance and gas $2k a month for a civic seems completely :ludacris:

I think they are tapping out their market, once the initial hype settles… which it is doing rapidly. The one on cars and bids didn’t sell at 49k…

The first ones were selling for 40 over … going rate is 5k over now. That’s not that far from sticker anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 am

I am :notsure: there are 2-3 at Most dealers around me. Honda also raised the msrp significantly … and the demographic for these cars tends to be a bit more on the blue collar side. Inflation and interest rates makes for a $1200 monthly… coupled with insurance and gas $2k a month for a civic seems completely :ludacris:

I think they are tapping out their market, once the initial hype settles… which it is doing rapidly. The one on cars and bids didn’t sell at 49k…

The first ones were selling for 40 over … going rate is 5k over now. That’s not that far from sticker anymore.
Yay Honda dealers.

One place by me still has $2500 markup on every single car as well as $1000 conditioning / prep fee, $700 doc fee, and $700 protection package mandatory which is just keyed lug nuts.

The other one by me charged $200 for the “10k service” which is an oil change and tire rotation. So I’m not going there again either.

The worst car purchase attempt experience of my life happened at a Honda dealer that played four square hard, and held my keys hostage for an hour while I talked to two different managers. For a fucking used Tacoma.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:25 am

Yay Honda dealers.

One place by me still has $2500 markup on every single car as well as $1000 conditioning / prep fee, $700 doc fee, and $700 protection package mandatory which is just keyed lug nuts.

The other one by me charged $200 for the “10k service” which is an oil change and tire rotation. So I’m not going there again either.

The worst car purchase attempt experience of my life happened at a Honda dealer that played four square hard, and held my keys hostage for an hour while I talked to two different managers. For a fucking used Tacoma.
I blocked a local FCA dealer. I had 5 people contact me about random shit..... the latest being a used 21 corolla and referred to me by a wrong name. I blocked 3 of their numbers from calling me. FCA is the absolute worst out here.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:disgust:
max225

It was straight up harassment at that point.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:51 am
Pathetic. Bubble can't burst soon enough.
Seriously.

I'd save that message chain to follow up after the burst and ask how many dicks they've sucked that week just to close a deal.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hopefully you're right!
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:35 pm

Hopefully you're right!
We shall see... but lets be real here... 45k also buys you an AWD golf... and or 37k buys you an AWD corolla. (Talking MSRP only) This space is quite busy at the moment... I think the STI left a gap, but toyota has essentially filled that. There aren't that many :fullretard: ready and willing to spend Mercedes money on shitbox with some lipstick.

65k where these dealers are fishing for buyers initially... is already a pretty serious price point.
We're talking:
C8 slightly used
New 440i
New Mach 1 Mustang
Used RC-F
Used TT-RS
Supra
M4s and M3s
M2s

etc etc etc
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Reminded me of the post on the golf r subreddit from a few months ago. The screenshots are yuuuuge so I won't link them but it's gold.

These internet sales managers are something else.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:35 pm

Hopefully you're right!
We shall see... but lets be real here... 45k also buys you an AWD golf... and or 37k buys you an AWD corolla. (Talking MSRP only) This space is quite busy at the moment... I think the STI left a gap, but toyota has essentially filled that. There aren't that many :fullretard: ready and willing to spend Mercedes money on shitbox with some lipstick.

65k where these dealers are fishing for buyers initially... is already a pretty serious price point.
We're talking:
C8 slightly used
New 440i
New Mach 1 Mustang
Used RC-F
Used TT-RS
Supra
M4s and M3s
M2s

etc etc etc
Kinda but :iono: , depends on if those can be had without markup. Everyday Driver dudes just bought a used C8 for $84K ($1K over MSRP) and are the fourth owners, the car was in a small wreck, etc. These are Youtubers with some level of clout with manufacturers - they got an 86 new for MSRP over a year ago when that was impossible. They said they may have been able to go new for MSRP if they waited 6-12 months but needed the car for a content sponsorship, so they had to go that route. Anecdotal I know, but we're not out of the shit storm yet.

I would be pretty stoked to own a GRolla or Hype R, they're both worth it at MSRP but I don't anticipate that ever being a reality. Time will tell :popcorn:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 2:40 pm Reminded me of the post on the golf r subreddit from a few months ago. The screenshots are yuuuuge so I won't link them but it's gold.

These internet sales managers are something else.

:lolgasm: :fullretard:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

I dunno about those guys out here high 70s low 80s buys you a nearly new or new C8.

https://www.autotrader.com/marketplace/ ... =669131400

There is a lot of variability in the spec level of course.

Golf R starting negotiation is 5k over here… my buddy is currently shopping. Civic seems to be 15k over. My Tacoma was 10k over and so was my last one … yet here we are. They can “ask” all they want
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:25 am

Yay Honda dealers.

They can honestly suck my balls, the 3rd dealer i went were way more fair than the other 2. I only had an acura previously. I know generally they remained solid, but my Accord doesnt prove as such, maybe mine is the bad apple like vw is to you.
1. Trunk randomly opens (fixed)
2. Passenger window shimmies (kinda fixed)
3. Couple weather stripping tend to be undone
4. The metal tip of the window switch randomly broke
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:53 pm I dunno about those guys out here high 70s low 80s buys you a nearly new or new C8.

Golf R starting negotiation is 5k over here… my buddy is currently shopping. Civic seems to be 15k over. My Tacoma was 10k over and so was my last one … yet here we are. They can “ask” all they want
I also ultimately got the 10 AE 86 for $1K over... just had to talk to a fuck ton of dealers to find that, and fly 1/4 across the country. That takes a certain type of psycho, most people won't.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:55 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:53 pm I dunno about those guys out here high 70s low 80s buys you a nearly new or new C8.

I also ultimately got the 10 AE 86 for $1K over... just had to talk to a fuck ton of dealers to find that, and fly 1/4 across the country. That takes a certain type of psycho, most people won't.
Correct. But this is also why you shouldn't sell it because of a bike sitch :D
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 1:55 pm

I will still argue that it makes sense given that’s my primary use for a car BUT Torklift is going to refund me fully, I’ve decided to just get the Slambert hitch and I won’t be able to take a friend :ohwell: Hopefully Curt or Drawtite or someone eventually make a normal hitch.

The red car guy is kind of my hero though. I’d do that if the Slambert wasn’t an option, but I think it’ll be easier loading on the back than the top every time.

I still love the car and the reality is once :baby: is a thing justifying a purchase like this in the future would be hard, keeping it won’t be as much, :tits: seems to be fine with adding a daily beater if it’s needed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

She also mentioned reconsidering driving manual from time to time so we could swap cars occasionally but I’ll believe it when I see it. She’s already proficient and just won’t.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:02 am
max225 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:01 pm

I will still argue that it makes sense given that’s my primary use for a car BUT Torklift is going to refund me fully, I’ve decided to just get the Slambert hitch and I won’t be able to take a friend :ohwell: Hopefully Curt or Drawtite or someone eventually make a normal hitch.

The red car guy is kind of my hero though. I’d do that if the Slambert wasn’t an option, but I think it’ll be easier loading on the back than the top every time.

I still love the car and the reality is once :baby: is a thing justifying a purchase like this in the future would be hard, keeping it won’t be as much, :tits: seems to be fine with adding a daily beater if it’s needed.
Personally, having a more practical car that is 80% of the experience of the dedicated sports car is far more enjoyable for me than having the daily beater and the scarcely used sports car. I'd go back to being able to drive my GTI every day in a heartbeat, versus being stuck in the minivan with only the occasional pointless romp out in the 86.