Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:40 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:15 pm I went down the rabbit hole...

MSRP on the thing in 2018 was $52k. He paid $43k. $9k off for a 3 year old lux car. "But it's a fair deal because it only has 10k miles on it".

:bruh:

He'll be underwater in 6 mos. :popcorn: for the videos of him crying, I can see the title now: "Carvana is a rip off" or the like. :lolol:
$43k for a 10k mile S3 doesn't sound that bad to me. Did he say if he put anything down?
Oh really? I don't know what these things are worth, no idea if he put something down.

$52k MSRP in 2018 probably meant the OP paid like $48k or so...remember that historically paying MSRP was a "rip off"
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:04 am

$43k for a 10k mile S3 doesn't sound that bad to me. Did he say if he put anything down?
A bit of :plac: profit on the trade-in whip, next month's rent, and his kid's birthday cash that he found under their beds in a jar.
:dat:

But this move was smart because he bought used for the first time, so worth the short term pain to be happy for a month.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 am

Oh really? I don't know what these things are worth, no idea if he put something down.

$52k MSRP in 2018 probably meant the OP paid like $48k or so...remember that historically paying MSRP was a "rip off"
These cars hold their value well up until about 40k miles or so, then they start dropping into the low 30k range. An equivalent probably would've cost nearly the same pre covid.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:20 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 am

These cars hold their value well up until about 40k miles or so, then they start dropping into the low 30k range. An equivalent probably would've cost nearly the same pre covid.
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Wait. Are we concluding that :plac: made a decent move here? :mindblown:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:22 am Wait. Are we concluding that :plac: made a decent move here? :mindblown:
By doubling his monthly payment? :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:25 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:22 am Wait. Are we concluding that :plac: made a decent move here? :mindblown:
Did he?

I don't really pay attention to monthly payments, just the total paid for the car. I guess that complicates things.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

With his cashflow/credit, I'm guessing he's paying 5.99% @ 84 months. :derp:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:50 am

With his cashflow/credit, I'm guessing he's paying 5.99% @ 84 months. :derp:
:notwrong: :lolgasm:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I mean it’s a 3/4 year old car under sticker. Could be worse. He has no business driving anything above 4 figures :doe:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:47 am

Did he?

I don't really pay attention to monthly payments, just the total paid for the car. I guess that complicates things.
No idea but assuming going from a GTI to the S3 would do that
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

VW/Audi is like Mini, they are only slightly benefitting from :fullretard: stock shortages.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

:cheese: is dead. Long live :cheese:.

He gone later this week. Sold.

Sorry that I haven’t been posting. I have a new career going here and it’s hella busy.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:28 pm
RLWake wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 pm :cheese: is dead. Long live :cheese:.

Sorry that I haven’t been posting. I have a new career going here and it’s hella busy.
It best be written in the sales contract that the new owner needs to register on DFD.
It is. :lickit:
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Interesting stuff, I was coding my halogen tail lamps back into the :gorf: this weekend and had fat fingered one of the settings :wrong: leaving the far right tall lamp illuminated even when the others were off. The edits were written down on loose leaf paper in reverse order from a shopdap video that shows how to code the LED set, and I guess I heard the sequence incorrectly or wrote it down while suffering from dyslexia.

It triggered a check engine light, so I found the correct setting on the interwebz and scanned my errors to clear them. It turns out that I had three errors stored:
Central electronics displayed the 1) "incorrect programming fault" that i originally created and fixed; and 2) a faulty rear driver door lock mechanism (which I heard acting up recently).
Engine module had 3) a low current alarm from O2 sensor, which is the check engine light that was :triggered: a couple of weeks back and cleared itself a day or two later.

For now it's intermittent, but it sounds like two things the next owner will probably have to deal with down the road. :ohwell: , I feel okay about kissing the car goodbye, it's going to start showing it's age soon and I don't feel like entertaining tired electronic components.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:42 am Interesting stuff, I was coding my halogen tail lamps back into the :gorf: this weekend and had fat fingered one of the settings :wrong: leaving the far right tall lamp illuminated even when the others were off. The edits were written down on loose leaf paper in reverse order from a shopdap video that shows how to code the LED set, and I guess I heard the sequence incorrectly or wrote it down while suffering from dyslexia.

It triggered a check engine light, so I found the correct setting on the interwebz and scanned my errors to clear them. It turns out that I had three errors stored:
Central electronics displayed the 1) "incorrect programming fault" that i originally created and fixed; and 2) a faulty rear driver door lock mechanism (which I heard acting up recently).
Engine module had 3) a low current alarm from O2 sensor, which is the check engine light that was :triggered: a couple of weeks back and cleared itself a day or two later.

For now it's intermittent, but it sounds like two things the next owner will probably have to deal with down the road. :ohwell: , I feel okay about kissing the car goodbye, it's going to start showing it's age soon and I don't feel like entertaining tired electronic components.
Yep, sounds like it is starting to show it's age. Perfect timing to move on :aintcare: before the thing makes you :rage:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It seems like a non terrible :dill: to me, although I could see him having a bad interest rate or something along those lines. :aintcare: , it is all just funny.

I love :plac:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Man, this new Civic Si is getting rave reviews, seems like a really :neat: car. Sub 3K pounds, sub $30K, evidently an amazing chassis, great shifter, quicker than the numbers would suggest. The exterior is a little boring but :notbad: , interior seems downright Audi spec to me.

I am pretty intrigued with this thing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

RLWake wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:25 pm :cheese: is dead. Long live :cheese:.

:pouroneout:

What did you wind up getting? IIRC you were looking at Hyundai Ns, GR86, some other stuff.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:51 am Man, this new Civic Si is getting rave reviews, seems like a really :neat: car. Sub 3K pounds, sub $30K, evidently an amazing chassis, great shifter, quicker than the numbers would suggest. The exterior is a little boring but :notbad: , interior seems downright Audi spec to me.

Yea but the price went up something like 5-6k since you drove that last one and it’s quite laaarge. Now. Unless you need the back seat I don’t see why you would get it over an 86 at the same price
max225

So daddy Doug did an 86. I am actually really :notsure: about the glued on “ducktail” initially I thought it was the better looking variant but now the Subaru is growing on me more.

It’s interesting if you just look at the center of the car and ignore the front and rear fasciae the car looks identical to the last gen.

Kinda funny he is flooring it on the on ramp, and getting passed by what looks like a CC at 13:00
:lolgasm:

Still a great improvement to the last car. Much like
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:54 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:51 am Man, this new Civic Si is getting rave reviews, seems like a really :neat: car. Sub 3K pounds, sub $30K, evidently an amazing chassis, great shifter, quicker than the numbers would suggest. The exterior is a little boring but :notbad: , interior seems downright Audi spec to me.

Yea but the price went up something like 5-6k since you drove that last one and it’s quite laaarge. Now. Unless you need the back seat I don’t see why you would get it over an 86 at the same price
Oh yeah, I would certainly rather have an 86, but it's nice to see something competing with it in the family car segment.

I think GTIs are like almost $40K now... the 'price increase' of the Civic is nothing more than inflation. 20% increase from 2018 to 2021 is less than about any other product I can think of. A dozen eggs is 70% more. An equivalent Wrangler versus when we bought ours in 2020 is 20-30% more today. My BMW is worth more to Carvana than what I paid for it in 2018 with 1/3 the miles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Frankly I think Toyota/Subaru are crazy to have the R86 starting sub $30K, but it's :nice: nonetheless.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:11 pm Frankly I think Toyota/Subaru are crazy to have the R86 starting sub $30K, but it's :nice: nonetheless.
Don’t get price conditioned so quickly. Current environment of insane car values is unlikely to last past the middle of next year. I think the brz is reasonably priced. More on this in my Soviet car thread…
While the woman does some work I’ll write up a review for the slowmaro.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tried to watch that Doug video... I just hate his reviews so much :lolol: