Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:00 pm Also there is NO shortage of real estate. That’s all artificially driven up by speculation.

There also needs to be a giant repurposing of office space into residential space. Offices are a giant waste at the moment. We should not build more sfh, that’s a luxury this planet can not afford.
Exactly, I was thinking hotels but office space is a 5/7 idea!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:51 pm The population increase love here is fucking astonishing and disgusting though. Many intelligent people are finally realizing having six kids isn’t sustainable and fucks everyone and then their efforts are overrun by the fucking gov forcing unwanted kids to be born to shit tweaked out parents. Quite odd.
What population increase? The average American woman gives birth below replacement rate. Only reason population is going up is “immigration”
Anyone know what the target population growth is in the US?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:22 pm
Then you end up with "tha projects" and a pretty miserable existence, but a core basic human necessity is met. The .gov sucks at doing anything, but it can regulate. I'd rather see more free market type adjustments like:

- Subsidies for building materials for low income housing (single family, multi-family, whatever)
- Grants/free programs for trade school
- Increased taxes on corps/groups running STRs
- Increased taxes on LTR income for single family houses (Max's buddy that buys houses just to rent to others)

The US is hellbent on increasing population for some reason (overturn of Roe) so while it would be effective, there will never be steps toward decreasing population. Immigration is already pretty tight here. Not zero, but it's nowhere near Canada's open door policy.
All good programs :like:

The bolded one brings me pause... Although it potentially achieves less interest in rentals/rental income I can see it ultimately reducing the number of available units, exasperating the market further. So the end result is slightly lower house prices but no change to rental unit supply, or possibly even a decrease in available units.
OK, maybe it's an increase if you have more than say 2 properties. The thing that needs to stop is rich people competing with poor people to buy houses the poor people should be buying. It doesn't do any good.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:12 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:58 pm

What population increase? The average American woman gives birth below replacement rate. Only reason population is going up is “immigration”
Anyone know what the target population growth is in the US?
The current fertility rate is 1.7 per woman in the US. Vs 2.2 in India...
Our current growth rate is .5% per year but I doubt that will change

Just for reference Canada is 1.47 per woman Japan is 1.36.

Clearly all population in the developed world is driven by Immigration from high birth rate countries.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:00 pm Also there is NO shortage of real estate. That’s all artificially driven up by speculation.

There also needs to be a giant repurposing of office space into residential space. Offices are a giant waste at the moment. We should not build more sfh, that’s a luxury this planet can not afford.
The office thing would be a good idea for sure.

I also think our obsession/entitlement to single family homes is kind of stupid. I would prefer to live in some kind of condo or townhome if I could have dedicated indoor parking of some kind (where I also had a closet for tools and could wrench and shit). :tits: isn't into it :doe: She is spoiled like the rest of us Americans who think we need to own land for some stupid reason. Owning land is a huge pain in the ass, terrible for the environment, adds insane time to commutes and other things.... all in all it just doesn't make sense, but the 'murican dream, :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think the lawn is the single biggest scam in US history, come at me.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:14 pm I think the lawn is the single biggest scam in US history, come at me.
:dat: is why I'm going to be converting a good size portion of mine into gravel/rocks.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:14 pm I think the lawn is the single biggest scam in US history, come at me.
Gobbless brother.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:18 pm
:dat: is why I'm going to be converting a good size portion of mine into gravel/rocks.
:yesth:

Your trees and rocks is overall :fuckyeah: and a much more sensible path.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:notwrong:

We should 100% be using it as a garden or some shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:24 pm

I mean I have one too... I'm not knockin' anybody but I'm also knockin' errybody.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:25 pm

I mean I have one too... I'm not knockin' anybody but I'm also knockin' errybody.
I had 4! What a waste … now I have 2 … I’d rather have 0 but it’s the cheapest option for now… spending 20-50k on rocks is not my thing
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:21 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:18 pm

Thanks! I'm ordering 2.5 tons of crushed stone in the next week or so as I finally start my firepit/gravel patio. :fuckyeah:
wap

Alco, hopefully next year I also plan on installing a couple of small rain gardens with all native plants. :notbad:
max225

wap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:21 pm

Thanks! I'm ordering 2.5 tons of crushed stone in the next week or so as I finally start my firepit/gravel patio. :fuckyeah:
:waxer:
wap

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:02 pm
$47/ton + $65 delivery for CA6 crushed limestone. $193 + tax is :waxer: ?
Last edited by wap on Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

We had a small vegetable garden growing up and a few fruit trees in the backyard. Was really nice. I’d like to do that when we have a house/yard of our own. Think it’d help with my plan to get/keep the kiddos engaged and enjoying eating vegetables. Every year we’d get to pick a veggies we wanted to plant in the garden along with the standard stuff my mom always did like zucchini, watermelon, corn, and carrots.. I picked beets one year not having ever tried them, and was so pumped, but the ants found them buried underground while tunneling and completely ate all of them :(
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:36 pm

We had a small vegetable garden growing up and a few fruit trees in the backyard. Was really nice. I’d like to do that when we have a house/yard of our own. Think it’d help with my plan to get/keep the kiddos engaged and enjoying eating vegetables. Every year we’d get to pick a veggies we wanted to plant in the garden along with the standard stuff my mom always did like zucchini, watermelon, corn, and carrots.. I picked beets one year not having ever tried them, and was so pumped, but the ants found them buried underground while tunneling and completely ate all of them :(
Kids are great with gardens, my little ones love to eat from bushes and plants at my moms place..
We planted two apple trees in a public park on the back side of my fence. My place is already kitted out and can't really take new trees, so we put them in the next best place lol
max225

wap wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm

$47/ton + $65 delivery for CA6 crushed limestone. $193 + tax is :waxer: ?
Who the fk has these prices ?! :amazing: $65 for a $500 delivery
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:01 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:25 pm

I had 4! What a waste … now I have 2 … I’d rather have 0 but it’s the cheapest option for now… spending 20-50k on rocks is not my thing
Yep I'm not super pro buying rocks either... well, depends on the situation. I just think having land to sit there and do nothing is kind of dumb, I would be happy with a large patio on a townhouse, give me a place to hang out, sit, cook, whatever outside, none of the pointless grass. Let nature take over the rest and save the manicured lawns for community spaces.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Having a rock yard is pretty hideous in NC as it will just constantly have weeds coming through. I would prefer we just left more of it woods.

:ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Newest BMW offer from the 'vana just dropped $500 to $17.6K... $18.1K offer expires tomorrow.

One thing that's interesting is these offers used to swing like crazy, now they seem to be just steadily decreasing $1K or so per month with $100-$1K dumps each week or two. So I accept the offer expiring tomorrow or getting over $18K goes out the window.

:iono: that I'm going to :doit: ... kind of lost some excitement over the BRZ with the recent :bs: :disgust:

:iono: maybe I shall just sit tight for a while, the Beemah certainly isn't a bad car.

I figure if I wait six months the market will be corrected, it'll open up other possibilities but also the Beemah will be worth the $12K it should be worth historically.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Has silicone gate actually killed more than one engine so far? All this uproar over one car and a shitty service manager shouldn't get you down. Stay :fuckyeah: over your BRZ Dan.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:07 am
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:01 pm

Yep I'm not super pro buying rocks either... well, depends on the situation. I just think having land to sit there and do nothing is kind of dumb, I would be happy with a large patio on a townhouse, give me a place to hang out, sit, cook, whatever outside, none of the pointless grass. Let nature take over the rest and save the manicured lawns for community spaces.
Dan, are you certain your bohemian rhapsody is not partially driven by a hatred for yardwork?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.