Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:13 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:04 pm

:disgust: Their behavior never changes.
Our “10k service” on our CRV cost $250. It was an oil change and tire rotation. What would the world do without them.
I feel like it's gotten worse the last few years and a lot of them were using covid as an excuse "during these unprecedented times". Or has it always been this bad?
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Our “10k service” on our CRV cost $250. It was an oil change and tire rotation. What would the world do without them.
All dealership maintenance packages are overpriced. You can just request standard oil change, rotation and a free multi-point inspection and pay half of that.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 am California’s air pollution laws have made drastic improvements in air quality in all of California and across the United States.
:dat: :dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:27 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 am California’s air pollution laws have made drastic improvements in air quality in all of California and across the United States.
It's wild to see photos of LA in the 60's and early 70's. The smog was just :impressive: we're all quick to forget that because most of us haven't experienced that in our lifetimes.
I remember that well and you're 100% right. Cali has done immense good for the country with respect to air quality.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:16 pm

I feel like it's gotten worse the last few years and a lot of them were using covid as an excuse "during these unprecedented times". Or has it always been this bad?
It's definitely gotten worse over these last two years, as evidenced by all of the stories of dealers fleecing everyone while the getting is good in the showroom. There is no reason to believe that behavior hasn't spilled over to the service side.

Back when my GTO was still under warranty, I was fortunate enough to have a small town Pontiac dealership near my college. Their prices and staff were reasonable and I even paid them to handle some other things because my resources were much more limited back then. I never felt like I was being raked over the coals.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Seems like you could have negotiated that. Or taken it to another dealer... $250 is eggregiously expensive.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:07 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:36 pm Maybe it's time to rent a fucking fuel truck in Texas and drive it back.

or, hear me out,

FUCKING MOVE OUT OF THAT COMMIE HELLHOLE
Right. It's all a balance. Live in a fly over do nothing and count every penny saved or get racked over the coals for the beneshits of coastal utopias.

I have never seen a $3 spread however... this is NEW.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

:notwrong:

But it's also gone too far at this point.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:35 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:07 am

or, hear me out,

FUCKING MOVE OUT OF THAT COMMIE HELLHOLE
Right. It's all a balance. Live in a fly over do nothing and count every penny saved or get racked over the coals for the beneshits of coastal utopias.

:iono: flyover life is pretty good.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:43 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:35 pm

:iono: flyover life is pretty good.
Same here. Just have to pay through the ass for it. For now I am ok with it.
max225

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:52 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:01 pm

$419 doesn't sound TERRIBLE for that...
The entire reason for me bringing it to the dealer was because FCA requested I do so for the good will warranty case. The service manager was basically trying to get me to pay them to do the repair before FCA even made a determination on reimbursement. If they aren't going to reimburse, then I'll just handle the repair myself and save $410. If FCA agrees to reimburse, then I will pay the dealer to do it.
Has a determination been made? Also can you do the repair yourself? Axle seals are kind of a bitch.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:34 pm

Seems like you could have negotiated that. Or taken it to another dealer... $250 is eggregiously expensive.
That’s because Honda dealers are fucking trash around me. And apparently everywhere.

Wife got taken advantage of. We will pick a different place next time or I’ll just take it.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:42 pm

According to whom? What is the basis for that argument? California has horrific air quality due to land topography, they are kind of forced to drive the boat in this case.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:10 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:34 pm
That’s because Honda dealers are fucking trash around me. And apparently everywhere.

Wife got taken advantage of. We will pick a different place next time or I’ll just take it.
:notsure: what these guys charge. But tire rotation is $19.95 + a $5 off :scroogepon: for oil change. https://www.piazzahondaphiladelphia.com ... /index.htm
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:12 pm

According to whom? What is the basis for that argument? California has horrific air quality due to land topography, they are kind of forced to drive the boat in this case.
And due to how many people drive in this state. Also not "all of california" is the same. Inland empire is a shit show... . Coastal LA is fine, Norcal is fine.
It's mainly the valleys of LA that you see in movies that had the notorious "Smog". That's where some people live but a good portion of the state has excellent AQI.

Getting Lead out of gas was great... getting MTBE was :fullretard: so I'd say we're 1:1 here with the EPA.
Huckleberry

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:49 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:52 am

The entire reason for me bringing it to the dealer was because FCA requested I do so for the good will warranty case. The service manager was basically trying to get me to pay them to do the repair before FCA even made a determination on reimbursement. If they aren't going to reimburse, then I'll just handle the repair myself and save $410. If FCA agrees to reimburse, then I will pay the dealer to do it.
Has a determination been made? Also can you do the repair yourself? Axle seals are kind of a bitch.
No determination yet. I'll probably have to follow up with FCA to get an answer.

It shouldn't be too hard of a job with two hours of book time quoted. The biggest thing is making sure the seal doesn't get damaged on install, but I have seal drivers.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:22 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:49 pm
No determination yet. I'll probably have to follow up with FCA to get an answer.

It shouldn't be too hard of a job with two hours of book time quoted. The biggest thing is making sure the seal doesn't get damaged on install, but I have seal drivers.
Yeah you're definitely not lying in the street outside your apartment when doing your own wrenching.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Logic, the EPA, and NOAA. Far past point of diminishing returns. hell some cars 10 years ago breathed out 'cleaner' air than they intake. At that point you are done. And cali has fucking excellent air quality now. CARB keeps moving the goal posts to make it look bad. Every metric that matters is at least 1 order of magnitude better than it was in the 70's.

Data, sure is powerful. Even when it doesn't fit 'TEH NARRITIVE'

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:14 pm

And due to how many people drive in this state. Also not "all of california" is the same. Inland empire is a shit show... . Coastal LA is fine, Norcal is fine.
It's mainly the valleys of LA that you see in movies that had the notorious "Smog". That's where some people live but a good portion of the state has excellent AQI.

Getting Lead out of gas was great... getting MTBE was :fullretard: so I'd say we're 1:1 here with the EPA.
:dat:
Huckleberry

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:40 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:22 pm

Yeah you're definitely not lying in the street outside your apartment when doing your own wrenching.
Yeah, having a space that isn't dependent upon weather and daylight is huge.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:10 pm

:notsure: what these guys charge. But tire rotation is $19.95 + a $5 off :scroogepon: for oil change. https://www.piazzahondaphiladelphia.com ... /index.htm
That dealership group is the one that flat out lied about the price of their vehicles, and tried to sell me a $32k car for $45k otd after trade in.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:40 pm

Yeah, having a space that isn't dependent upon weather and daylight is huge.
Dood, you've got a lot more than that..............your shop is :jimp:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:43 pm

Logic, the EPA, and NOAA. Far past point of diminishing returns. hell some cars 10 years ago breathed out 'cleaner' air than they intake. At that point you are done. And cali has fucking excellent air quality now. CARB keeps moving the goal posts to make it look bad. Every metric that matters is at least 1 order of magnitude better than it was in the 70's.

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:14 pm

Looks like they’ve been doing a great job and should keep up the good work.
Huckleberry

Speaking of shitbag dealerships and their prices.

This is the same dealer who had a leftover 2017 :manuel: Frontier that I looked at in January of 2018. I looked up the True Car price, which was $2 or $3k under their "discounted" price, printed it out, and gave it to them. They basically said, "Yeah, we're not honoring that."
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:59 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:43 pm

By making cars more expensive, complicated, for vastly diminishing returns? When air quality is near background with no cars?

maybe they should declare mission accomplished and focus resources on other sources of pollution. Or stabilize their power grid for all the electric cars. CARB is just a bureaucracy that fuels itself at this point.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:33 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:59 pm

By making cars more expensive, complicated, for vastly diminishing returns? When air quality is near background with no cars?

maybe they should declare mission accomplished and focus resources on other sources of pollution. Or stabilize their power grid for all the electric cars. CARB is just a bureaucracy that fuels itself at this point.
They absolutely should be focusing on their grid and power generation sources, as should the rest of the country.

Moving the goal posts is not a bad thing as we learn more about various pollutants and their negative effects on the human body. I worked in a refinery for 11 years. I know plenty about OSHA permissible exposure levels. And I know the disproportionate amount of people ended up getting cancer and dying from it while I worked there.