2021 Automotive market thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

All of the YouTubers seem to really dig the 392 Beep Beep. If one at MSRP is doable, it should probably stay fairly high in value. :notsure: if it addresses all of the things you don't want in the :jeep: :doe:

After living with a Wrangler for 1.5+ years, :iono: I am not really in love with it. The on-highway manners are just so bad.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Y’all convinced me it’s off the :fullretard: list
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:59 pm Y’all convinced me it’s off the :fullretard: list
It's funny, I still love the idea of them. When I don't drive ours for a couple weeks I think I love it, then I drive it and am all :notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:59 pm Y’all convinced me it’s off the :fullretard: list
I agree with the others, I don't think you'd like it anywhere near as much as the Defender. Noise, driving dynamics, highway comfort, bleh. I LOVED my JT and really liked my JL, but don't want another one. They make great toys :doe:

BUT, it won't depreciate ever. They'll be done by 2023 due to .gov regulations, so limited supply, high demand, it's collectible the minute you drive it off the lot, hence the markups people are paying.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I really want to drive a Bronco. I think wind noise would keep me away, but the powertrain and IFS probably make it pretty great to live with.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:18 pm
I agree with the others, I don't think you'd like it anywhere near as much as the Defender. Noise, driving dynamics, highway comfort, bleh. I LOVED my JT and really liked my JL, but don't want another one. They make great toys :doe:

BUT, it won't depreciate ever. They'll be done by 2023 due to .gov regulations, so limited supply, high demand, it's collectible the minute you drive it off the lot, hence the markups people are paying.
Yea that draw of it is appealing. Similar to a FJ cruiser. As long as you keep the miles (10k a year +) off it, it'll be collectible forever.

I am still curious about Toyota addressing all the Tacoma shortcomings for this gen. I really wish it came with a real engine/transmission. I will own another one in a heartbeat. Ironically that's why I am starting to be hesitant about the Fendie. IT is "due" some point from April-June although the :dillerman: has been epic :hibachi: due to supply chain issues the December update never happened and they have us waiting until January to see WHEN we can get it... :lol: how about that... wait 2 months to find out HOW LATE it'll be.

I am also going back and forth on the I6 vs I4. My current order is with the I4 because I didn't love the I6 for the extra premium it costs. But getting a mini sized 4 banger in a house is a bit :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:18 pm

Yea that draw of it is appealing. Similar to a FJ cruiser. As long as you keep the miles (10k a year +) off it, it'll be collectible forever.

I am still curious about Toyota addressing all the Tacoma shortcomings for this gen. I really wish it came with a real engine/transmission. I will own another one in a heartbeat. Ironically that's why I am starting to be hesitant about the Fendie. IT is "due" some point from April-June although the :dillerman: has been epic :hibachi: due to supply chain issues the December update never happened and they have us waiting until January to see WHEN we can get it... :lol: how about that... wait 2 months to find out HOW LATE it'll be.

I am also going back and forth on the I6 vs I4. My current order is with the I4 because I didn't love the I6 for the extra premium it costs. But getting a mini sized 4 banger in a house is a bit :disgust:
Wow, that's amazing that they can't figure out the allocations in advance. LR must be really struggling with the supply chain issues. Sounds to me like your :dillerman: is pretty much "sold out" and they're waiting to see what month they'll have open production allocation to accommodate their orders. I wonder if you could order it from another dealer and get it sooner?

I'm sure the next Tacoma and 4R will be running some mini sized 4 banger too. It's the way of the world now. Turbros, advanced engine controls, and fancy transmissions make them pretty danged good, so really just got to get over the no replacement for displacement mantra.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:33 pm

Wow, that's amazing that they can't figure out the allocations in advance. LR must be really struggling with the supply chain issues. Sounds to me like your :dillerman: is pretty much "sold out" and they're waiting to see what month they'll have open production allocation to accommodate their orders. I wonder if you could order it from another dealer and get it sooner?

I'm sure the next Tacoma and 4R will be running some mini sized 4 banger too. It's the way of the world now. Turbros, advanced engine controls, and fancy transmissions make them pretty danged good, so really just got to get over the no replacement for displacement mantra.
:dat:

Four banger life in a :haus: is :thisisfine:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This why I gave up on car enthusiast shit and got an appliance, if I'm ever in a better financial sitch I'll add a fun car to the garage that I can polish in my jorts and fresh new balance kicks. I do like the new Toyota Hybrid tech doe, V6TT with electric motor assist for more :balls: , that sounds better then all the other new stuff outside of EVs. For the next two years just keep doing lease takeovers, maybe a C8 that someone is trying to OFF.
max225

According to this :dillerman: not one got any allocations in December and they were told to kick rocks. Others have confirmed similar stories from
Their :dillerman: in other parts.

UK website lists “substantial” delays as well and one can place orders in the UK at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:06 pm

According to this :dillerman: not one got any allocations in December and they were told to kick rocks. Others have confirmed similar stories from

UK website lists “substantial” delays as well and one can place orders in the UK at the moment.
I bet the Defender is in pretty high demand globally, it's really a great product at the right time. Add high demand with supply chain issues, and :nuke:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:38 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:06 pm

I bet the Defender is in pretty high demand globally, it's really a great product at the right time. Add high demand with supply chain issues, and :nuke:
Yea I’m not holding my breath. Coupled with the Tessie I’d have 200k tied up in cars :wtf: that’s above my comfort level by a factor of 2-3. At this point in time I really got it yeeet the Tessie before that thing comes in. And I hope I still can
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:38 pm
Yea I’m not holding my breath. Coupled with the Tessie I’d have 200k tied up in cars :wtf: that’s above my comfort level by a factor of 2-3. At this point in time I really got it yeeet the Tessie before that thing comes in. And I hope I still can
As long as Tesla keeps raising prices and people keep lining up to pay them, I don't see an issue.

The question will be, how many people will continue to line up to pay Tesla price increases when other options readily available instead. Right now, nothing can be had quickly, so might as well throw in a Tesla reservation to cancel later if something pops up. I personally think that Tesla demand is slightly overstated right now because of this. "Sold out" is a bit of a misnomer in the industry when people can bail on a reservation ZFG.

It's looking like November/December will be the peak of used car values, and early January will be the last time to make money on used cars. Since dealers are used to "selling the pipeline" I bet we won't see much inventory build up for a while, but you can probably walk into a dealer and get your name on a car coming in sooner than before.

Certain new car models will probably start building inventory in January, others following through Q1. High demand vehicles with little substitute like the Bronco, Wrangler, Defender, and whatnot probably won't. I think there's a good chance Teslas fall in this category as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:55 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:41 pm

As long as Tesla keeps raising prices and people keep lining up to pay them, I don't see an issue.

The question will be, how many people will continue to line up to pay Tesla price increases when other options readily available instead. Right now, nothing can be had quickly, so might as well throw in a Tesla reservation to cancel later if something pops up. I personally think that Tesla demand is slightly overstated right now because of this. "Sold out" is a bit of a misnomer in the industry when people can bail on a reservation ZFG.

It's looking like November/December will be the peak of used car values, and early January will be the last time to make money on used cars. Since dealers are used to "selling the pipeline" I bet we won't see much inventory build up for a while, but you can probably walk into a dealer and get your name on a car coming in sooner than before.

Certain new car models will probably start building inventory in January, others following through Q1. High demand vehicles with little substitute like the Bronco, Wrangler, Defender, and whatnot probably won't. I think there's a good chance Teslas fall in this category as well.
I'm curious how long the GR86 will be in this category as well as the upcoming Hype R/Si/Integra. :iono: :doe: , I'm not sure any of those Hondas save the R would really be an upgrade in fun from my cuckwagen.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:55 pm

I'm curious how long the GR86 will be in this category as well as the upcoming Hype R/Si/Integra. :iono: :doe: , I'm not sure any of those Hondas save the R would really be an upgrade in fun from my cuckwagen.
Yea that’s a tough call you gotta go R at which point you’re spending 2x what your car costs and that’s a whole lotta :butwhy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Yea that’s a tough call you gotta go R at which point you’re spending 2x what your car costs and that’s a whole lotta :butwhy:
Well... unless things change it's more like 2.5X+.

At the moment a new Type R is over $50K and has been for the past 6-12 months. At that point I'd almost rather keep it and just add a GR86.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:55 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:52 pm

Well... unless things change it's more like 2.5X+.

At the moment a new Type R is over $50K and has been for the past 6-12 months. At that point I'd almost rather keep it and just add a GR86.
I sure as hell don't see $50k in value in a Hype R.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah I mean I really wanted one... and I probably would have if I could've gotten lightly used or new for low 30s but it was nowhere near there, hence the ultimate :plac: move.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 pm Yeah I mean I really wanted one... and I probably would have if I could've gotten lightly used or new for low 30s but it was nowhere near there, hence the ultimate :plac: move.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Looks like they are about high/mid 30s now
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My gorf cost me 42k plus taxes new, I've got it sold for 28k with 150k farts and 2% weight reduction in the form of decayed fasteners. 50k for a Civic?? :hellyeah:

Who knows, this could just be the inflationary effect of doing all this gov spending.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 pm Yeah I mean I really wanted one... and I probably would have if I could've gotten lightly used or new for low 30s but it was nowhere near there, hence the ultimate :plac: move.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Looks like they are about high/mid 30s now
That’s better than what I was seeing I think. But man… MSRP for a car with almost 50k miles.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Speaking of 2021 Automotive Market, my dudes at https://www.canadadrives.ca/ are picking my car up in the next two hours. $28,500 is HOPEFULLY coming my way for it, and I'm sitting on $2k from used aftermarket car part sales to round it up nicely. A car that I paid $42k plus taxes for 5 yrs ago. The mileage shows 149,700km, a threshold just short of beater status and has a $6700 rock damage claim tagged to it. I can't see the damage on the carfax I paid for, but it shows up in their records apparently, so it's there..... This is :mindblown:

What's weird, is that nobody came to see the car when I had it posted for just under $30k for the last 2 weeks. Who's going to buy it for $28500 + new windshield + details + resale markup?
max225

Yet another “enthusiast” used car rape site that steals 4-6% from potential buyers for the privilege of “posting” it on their site.

:disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:43 am Yet another “enthusiast” used car rape site that steals 4-6% from potential buyers for the privilege of “posting” it on their site.

:disgust:
:dat:

I really don't care for this trend at all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:08 am Speaking of 2021 Automotive Market, my dudes at https://www.canadadrives.ca/ are picking my car up in the next two hours. $28,500 is HOPEFULLY coming my way for it, and I'm sitting on $2k from used aftermarket car part sales to round it up nicely. A car that I paid $42k plus taxes for 5 yrs ago. The mileage shows 149,700km, a threshold just short of beater status and has a $6700 rock damage claim tagged to it. I can't see the damage on the carfax I paid for, but it shows up in their records apparently, so it's there..... This is :mindblown:

What's weird, is that nobody came to see the car when I had it posted for just under $30k for the last 2 weeks. Who's going to buy it for $28500 + new windshield + details + resale markup?
For whatever reason (there are some legitimate ones), :dillerman: can just move cars sooo much easier. I was :mindblown: at the ease of selling my :poorvette: to be honest, it is generally garbage selling a car privately.