Is Crangslist Dead?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Have you ever successfully sold a car on Facebook Marketplace?

Yes
56%
No
44%

Total votes: 9
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

As you all know, I just sold my :poorvette:

I listed the car on FBM and CL, same pictures, ad, price, etc. I ended up selling the car to an :okboomer: via Craigslist. I got about four inquiries on my CL ad, all of which either called me or sent a detailed text/email with legitimate questions, none led with "what is your bottom dollar?" or other such nonsense, and I wound up getting an offer within a week for $14K (was listed at $14.9K), countered at $14.3K, and went to the bank to strike a legitimate :dill:

Facebook on the other hand, was the complete opposite experience. I fielded at least 10 unique inquiries/day that it was listed. I got just about every stereotypical message you can imagine:
"What is your lowest price?"
"Trade for Harley [insert model here]?"
"Trade for [insert really shitty car here]?"
"Will you take $8,000 CASH this Tuesday?"
"LOL at your asking price given the condition of your car, will you take $9K?"

This is seriously bottom feeder bullshit. I don't think I will ever list a car on FBM again, as it is truly a fucking joke. For the extra $5 for Craigslist, I only had to speak with four different people, all of whom were legitimate, and I got 96% of asking within a week.

That said, in the past few weeks I've very easily sold other shit on FB for full asking (leaf blower, bike rack, etc).

What is it about selling cars on FBM? Everyone seems to think it is the new standard, but it is hot fucking garbage, meanwhile, CL's number of cars listed has dropped by 50% or more. Buying cars on FBM is equally dumb, no one puts any info in their ads, the pictures are almost always horrid, you name it.

Discuss.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I browse CL daily searching 3 or 4 areas. Auto parts for sale, tools, music instruments, and maybe a couple of others.
That's how I found the 02 RSX ecu, harness and shifter cables for the MR2 Kswap. Most of the people I deal with there have seemed to be more normal now-a-days, as opposed to Facebook. The idiots I had to deal with on Facebook were endless when I tried to sell my motorcycle. I'd probably put my same shit on Facebook as well as Craigslist if I was selling something, but I wouldn't hesitate to call people idiots next time on Facebook because I'm done with that shit.

Here's a couple of examples. of the dumbassery I dealt with.

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I check CL to buy stuff but I don't bother listing anything for sale on it. I go straight to ebay, 7 day auction with no reserve and buyer pays actual shipping cost. Shit sells for whatever it sells for, zero fucking around with offers/trades/whatever. Sometimes the prices are low, sometimes they're high, but on average I probably get the same :plac: profit that I'd get from any other method but with zero hassle.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:16 pm I check CL to buy stuff but I don't bother listing anything for sale on it. I go straight to ebay, 7 day auction with no reserve and buyer pays actual shipping cost. Shit sells for whatever it sells for, zero fucking around with offers/trades/whatever. Sometimes the prices are low, sometimes they're high, but on average I probably get the same :plac: profit that I'd get from any other method but with zero hassle.

I've got some old MR2 take offs that we're likely going to list, I was thinking about going the old school route and go Ebay to not have to deal with the hassle of dealing with people.
troyguitar

Re: the actual :pole: question - I did in fact sell the Vibe on Facebook... but I suspect that my price was low enough that it would have sold quickly anywhere. In hindsight I should have kept that thing.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:16 pm I check CL to buy stuff but I don't bother listing anything for sale on it. I go straight to ebay, 7 day auction with no reserve and buyer pays actual shipping cost. Shit sells for whatever it sells for, zero fucking around with offers/trades/whatever. Sometimes the prices are low, sometimes they're high, but on average I probably get the same :plac: profit that I'd get from any other method but with zero hassle.

I've got some old MR2 take offs that we're likely going to list, I was thinking about going the old school route and go Ebay to not have to deal with the hassle of dealing with people.
Stuff that's big/expensive to ship is a tough sell on ebay, but everything else seems to sell pretty well. Before we moved I sold off a lot of my old music gear, like early 90s digitech rack gear that I never used, and most of it went for high-ish prices.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I don't belong to FB, so I can't sell something on their marketplace. It seems like if 5 American Dollars is too rich for you to market a car, then.....I don't know what to tell you. Seems like CL is NOT dead, based on your performance comments.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:07 pm I browse CL daily searching 3 or 4 areas. Auto parts for sale, tools, music instruments, and maybe a couple of others.
That's how I found the 02 RSX ecu, harness and shifter cables for the MR2 Kswap. Most of the people I deal with there have seemed to be more normal now-a-days, as opposed to Facebook. The idiots I had to deal with on Facebook were endless when I tried to sell my motorcycle. I'd probably put my same shit on Facebook as well as Craigslist if I was selling something, but I wouldn't hesitate to call people idiots next time on Facebook because I'm done with that shit.

"But I only have $6500"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:21 pm Re: the actual :pole: question - I did in fact sell the Vibe on Facebook... but I suspect that my price was low enough that it would have sold quickly anywhere. In hindsight I should have kept that thing.
In hindsight, I should have bought that thing :lolol:

Hindsight is a real twat.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:28 pm I don't belong to FB, so I can't sell something on their marketplace. It seems like if 5 American Dollars is too rich for you to market a car, then.....I don't know what to tell you. Seems like CL is NOT dead, based on your performance comments.
It was probably a bad thread title. I'm just curious how others have interacted with the two "marketplaces".

I find it funny that CL has such a negative reputation and yet every person who reached out to me was professional, courteous, and seemingly legitimate. Meanwhile, Facebook ("the way forward") was absolute nonsense. When I had the 328i listed on there last year, it was the same "I'm a buyer today at $10.5K" type nonsense.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:07 pm I browse CL daily searching 3 or 4 areas. Auto parts for sale, tools, music instruments, and maybe a couple of others.

:lolol: the first one is my favorite... the person is actually illiterate.

:impressive: failing of our educational system.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

It seems like the majority of people have jumped off Craigslist and onto Facebook, but Facebook is full of bottomfeeding mouthbreathers. I sold quite a bit of stuff on Facebook over the years, but I've since stopped because I'm tired of having to deal with the morons. I've had motherfuckers waste my time agreeing to a price of $20 and then have the balls to say that they will message me in a week when they get the money. The other thing is that you seriously have about 48 hours before your listing loses visibility and falls into obscurity.

So, I'm back to listing on Craigslist. I did have the idea to see if any marketplaces have popped up on Reddit, but I haven't explored that yet.

That isn't to say that Craigslist is devoid of lunacy. My latest experience is with the stock transaxle in the 944. The guy paid for it with a postal money order and said he can't pick it up for two weeks. The money order was for the full amount and cleared, so I said that was fine. Two months later, he still hasn't gotten it.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:24 pm
Acid666 wrote:

Stuff that's big/expensive to ship is a tough sell on ebay, but everything else seems to sell pretty well. Before we moved I sold off a lot of my old music gear, like early 90s digitech rack gear that I never used, and most of it went for high-ish prices.
Yeah a lot of what I've got is smaller interior things like vents, small cladding here and there. Maybe a few bigger things that I might not want to deal with shipping unless the price is right.
I did forget that when we first got hit with the Covid, since I've got a Line6 Helix pedalboard now and have no need for any of my pedals I went ahead and put nearly all of them online and on the bass forums. Kinda hurt to do because I wanted to keep em but I finally realized I wasn't going to go back to analog for a while. Put em on CL and a guy messages me from California and wants to buy the whole batch for $1K. I searched him online and found he ran a little boutique pedal sales website, so I said F it and told him I'd sell. Lost about $100 overall but for a solid $1K sale without having to deal with 10 individual people and shipping out individual pedals it was worth the small hit of $100.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

For the last 5 months, I can't even find one lease takeover ad for cars. Makes me :notsure:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Acid666

You can still find great deals on living spaces in CL tho. I mean how else would you try to sell this gem of an idea to someone?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/a ... 73867.html
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:52 pm You can still find great deals on living spaces in CL tho. I mean how else would you try to sell this gem of an idea to someone?
:wtf: :lolol:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I'm probably just going to post the S2000 on CarGurus, S2Ki, and local S2000 groups. I don't have time for craigslist and FB morons.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:52 pm You can still find great deals on living spaces in CL tho. I mean how else would you try to sell this gem of an idea to someone?
But I thought housing is expensive in LA, wait... nevermind.

still a sad sad situation :doe:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:04 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:58 pm

But I thought housing is expensive in LA, wait... nevermind.

still a sad sad situation :doe:
But hey, pets are OK!
phewww, thats one less thing to worry about in commiefornia.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

I hardly ever use Crangslist anymore because the Orlando site is so flooded with the same ads that it's hard to find real listings from real people.
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I’ve had idiot responses to sale items on both. I’ve also had good sale experiences on both. Depends on the other user really.

At this point, crangslist users are probably significantly older than Facebook marketplace users.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:42 pm I’ve had idiot responses to sale items on both. I’ve also had good sale experiences on both. Depends on the other user really.

At this point, crangslist users are probably significantly older than Facebook marketplace users.
:dat:

The youths seem to have abandoned CL, which leaves scammers and olds. The CL here is empty, just scams and :dillerman: ads. I don't even bother looking at it.

I never want to sell another car to a private party again.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:42 pm I’ve had idiot responses to sale items on both. I’ve also had good sale experiences on both. Depends on the other user really.

:dat:

The youths seem to have abandoned CL, which leaves scammers and olds. The CL here is empty, just scams and :dillerman: ads. I don't even bother looking at it.

I never want to sell another car to a private party again.
:iono: It is probably just stupid "covid times" :bs: , but the :poorvette: and Fusion sales were both easy and :waxer:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:notwrong:

I would rather work with an :okboomer: than a :crang: though in many cases.