JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Uconnect was alright mostly. It was annoying in the older implementations where there weren’t hard wired buttons for various common tasks but it’s better in the JL. I liked it there. Good graphics and resolution, good black levels, fast processor. Didn’t feel like a pile of shit.

I also remember the gauges being dece in it as well. I should take a pic of my gauge cluster. It’s hilarious how little of the screen is in use there and how poorly it’s arranged. Also TI-89 graphics there as well.

Honestly the best I’ve used to date was Hyundai. Easy to navigate around and intuitive. Fast and no glitches. Paired with the best driver aid systems I’ve used.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 am
AA uses bluetooth for calls, no?

My phone is crappy and if the USB cable moves at all in the phone port, AA drops off. SO if I bump or move my phone, AA is gone and I lose whatever was going on. Most of the time I can get it back by jiggling the connector, but sometimes it forces me to go into park to get it back and that's just :ayfkm: :rolleyes:
That happened to me and turned out there was about a shot glass worth of pocket lint jammed into the iPhone lightning connector. Cleaned it with a paper clip and now it works great again.
:dat:
Had this happen to me, too. I now occasionally blow out the port with a can of compressed air, which seems to work pretty well.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:57 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 am
I use the rear camera really only for hitching up a trailer, which I do somewhat frequently. It's a good test of functional resolution to find the trailer coupler to line the ball up with. 4R is passable, the Ram was unusable, the JT was the best.
I find the backup cam is pretty useful parallel parking as well, I kind of wish the BMcuckleU had one :ohwell:
My BMW has a backup camera but it doesn't have the distance meter, which the newer Tahoe has. After driving the Tahoe with backup and switching to the old one with nothing, I realize I have become fairly dependent on it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:23 am Uconnect was alright mostly. It was annoying in the older implementations where there weren’t hard wired buttons for various common tasks but it’s better in the JL. I liked it there. Good graphics and resolution, good black levels, fast processor. Didn’t feel like a pile of shit.

I also remember the gauges being dece in it as well. I should take a pic of my gauge cluster. It’s hilarious how little of the screen is in use there and how poorly it’s arranged. Also TI-89 graphics there as well.

Honestly the best I’ve used to date was Hyundai. Easy to navigate around and intuitive. Fast and no glitches. Paired with the best driver aid systems I’ve used.
Yeah the Hyundai shit is good. I rented an Ioniq5 and my only gripe was that is has zero buttons because it's the FUTURE. I think any of their normal cars would be quite dece.

I should find an Elantra N to drive.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:53 am

I find the backup cam is pretty useful parallel parking as well, I kind of wish the BMcuckleU had one :ohwell:
My BMW has a backup camera but it doesn't have the distance meter, which the newer Tahoe has. After driving the Tahoe with backup and switching to the old one with nothing, I realize I have become fairly dependent on it.
:fancy: :jelly: :sass:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:23 am Uconnect was alright mostly. It was annoying in the older implementations where there weren’t hard wired buttons for various common tasks but it’s better in the JL. I liked it there. Good graphics and resolution, good black levels, fast processor. Didn’t feel like a pile of shit.

:doit: I'm curious to see it.

And agreed that the infotainment and UI in our H is pretty good. Crisp graphics and decent back up cam, too.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

My mini had it … check off more boxes next time you peasant.
wap

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm

:lol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm

:sad:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

JP have you jumped this bitch over some train tracks or a raised intersection yet?
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:30 pm JP have you jumped this bitch over some train tracks or a raised intersection yet?
I’ve caught air on some potholes
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:39 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:30 pm JP have you jumped this bitch over some train tracks or a raised intersection yet?
I’ve caught air on some potholes
Dropping into them like a vert ramp
Johnny_P

Just for shits and giggles, got a carvana quote on the Honda. $35,849. I'd have to address the paint scuff on the bumper. That's a MacDoe burger or two over new MSRP but under what we paid for it when you figure in tax and dealer rape.
Man I'm so tempted to sell this thing.

Anyways. Its been getting 25 MPG average if its over 90 degrees outside because it can't keep up with the heat. Total lifetime is around 37 because I drive it like a pure cuck, that's being careful and using some hypermiling techniques. There's been a handful of times I needed to give it the beans and... it's alarmingly slow to respond in an emergency situation. And 1 year in, we have opened the useless sunroof exactly one time.

Yeah I dunno. Whatever. It still hauls the dog and toddler and all the crap that comes with them just fine. And still swallows potholes pretty well but the front end is starting to make knocking noises so something is probably broken up there.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:00 am Just for shits and giggles, got a carvana quote on the Honda. $35,849. I'd have to address the paint scuff on the bumper. That's a MacDoe burger or two over new MSRP but under what we paid for it when you figure in tax and dealer rape.

Anyways. Its been getting 25 MPG average if its over 90 degrees outside because it can't keep up with the heat. Total lifetime is around 37 because I drive it like a pure cuck, that's being careful and using some hypermiling techniques. There's been a handful of times I needed to give it the beans and... it's alarmingly slow to respond in an emergency situation. And 1 year in, we have opened the useless sunroof exactly one time.

Yeah I dunno. Whatever. It still hauls the dog and toddler and all the crap that comes with them just fine. And still swallows potholes pretty well but the front end is starting to make knocking noises so something is probably broken up there.
Man everytime you talk about this thing I want to weep. PLEASE SELL THIS FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT and get a NEW CUCKMOBILE. PLEASE. Thanks for listening. I've been listening to you.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I know it's a hassle to dump a car and then shop for a new one but this thing is so wildly inconsistent it's pretty :mindblown:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:00 am Just for shits and giggles, got a carvana quote on the Honda. $35,849. I'd have to address the paint scuff on the bumper. That's a MacDoe burger or two over new MSRP but under what we paid for it when you figure in tax and dealer rape.

I'm worried that nothing short of a :jeep: or :truck: will cut it in the mean streets of Philly.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4xe jeep seems like a decent buy … but it’s about 50% more than a crv… also new crv just came out also ..
Looks pretty :neat:
Johnny_P

Tar wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:03 am

I'm worried that nothing short of a :jeep: or :truck: will cut it in the mean streets of Philly.
Jeeps fare worse. Almost every one of them, new included, squeaks their way down the road. Lexus seems the best oddly enough. Like an NX with balloon tires.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:01 am 4xe jeep seems like a decent buy … but it’s about 50% more than a crv… also new crv just came out also ..
Looks pretty :neat:
I’m not paying over sticker for an overpriced donkey cart with a porta potty roof that I can’t use the plug in aspect of.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:50 am I know it's a hassle to dump a car and then shop for a new one but this thing is so wildly inconsistent it's pretty :mindblown:
The MPG spread is enormous, it’s wild. This hybrid system only really works if the environmental conditions are ideal. Like 60F to 80F. Outside of that efficiency takes a shit.

Over a year though it’s only 1 MPG off EPA combined estimate. So. It is delivering on its promise overall? But again I’m not driving it “normal”. If I did, it would average 30, or almost the same as the regular gas motor one that is considerably quicker.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Are Rav4 Hybrids or Primes possible to get now? Seem like they could be a solid cuckmobile alternative?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Not sure you'd like the Rav4 much better. Maybe the engine and trans work better in hybrid form but the rest of the car will still feel like a pos. I know mine does.
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:23 am Not sure you'd like the Rav4 much better. Maybe the engine and trans work better in hybrid form but the rest of the car will still feel like a pos. I know mine does.
That’s the problem, it’s not like anything is necessarily much better in this segment. At least the Rav hybrid delivers on MPG with real world being about 10 better than the CRV. But it’s less comfortable and drives worse.

Bleh. It’s a shame Subaru doesn’t have a hybrid outback. I’d just get one of those if they existed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:57 am
Tar wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:03 am

Jeeps fare worse. Almost every one of them, new included, squeaks their way down the road. Lexus seems the best oddly enough. Like an NX with balloon tires.
Ooohhh, that sounds nice! The new ones are being built in Ontario on the Rav platform, and they're only a few months old so I'm betting they will need a year or two to sort out all the small issues. The older ones on JPN build and probably built as well as Chris's 4R. My wife loves bombing her T-Reg over pot holes and speed bumps, and that thing is tight as a drum, but not everyone wants to do a new water pump every 5 or 6 yrs. I bet the RX is a beast and better suited to your landscape. You guys should take one for a spin.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Toyota Venza is being overlooked here too.