JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:04 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:25 pm https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/u ... as.209119/

Seems like you could unplug the speaker behind the fog light in all of a few min and never worry again. But clearly it would make you a career CRIMINAL
It triggers a CEL. I could probably just wire a resistor in there. Or wire it in such a way as to lower the volume without disrupting the current flow across the leads.

Yeah that forum is full of chodes. I was there for like 4 posts and gave up on them.
So simple yet vastly effective!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:04 pm

It triggers a CEL. I could probably just wire a resistor in there. Or wire it in such a way as to lower the volume without disrupting the current flow across the leads.

Yeah that forum is full of chodes. I was there for like 4 posts and gave up on them.
Don’t wake the neighbors when reversing!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:04 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:32 am

With full respect to JP and his cf situ, the average CRV buyer is not going to be a car guy.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:11 am

With full respect to JP and his cf situ, the average CRV buyer is not going to be a car guy.
:notwrong:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah these are just everyday cars for people who don’t really care too much. Generally, people want something that doesn’t feel like a piece of shit, isn’t constantly broken, and is usable.

Nobody buying a CRV really cares much about what type of suspension it has, how well it corners, if it holds gears at redline or whatever. But when your neighbors make comments like your car sounds stupid, or you can’t drive with windows down because of the racket, or you can’t figure out the infotainment system structure, or those kinds of things it becomes a big detractor.

My Ford Touch was a disaster. The cars they put it in were pretty good to drive. And a lot of Ford apologists were brushing it off saying people are morons who cares etc. Well most of the public dgaf that it handles great and they care more that the central interface for all of the cars operations is nearly unusable or frustrating to the point that it makes them not like the vehicle.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:32 am

Well most of the public dgaf that it handles great and they care more that the central interface for all of the cars operations is nearly unusable or frustrating to the point that it makes them not like the vehicle.
Savagegeese YT channel just did a good video about infotainment with Toyota. Toyota NA took over the development from the Japanese division because Americans thought the stuff in their cars was trash.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I've never encountered a wire disconnect that a couple resistors couldn't outsmart... :doit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Cars are simply weatherproof cocoons for Appleplay.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:32 am

Well most of the public dgaf that it handles great and they care more that the central interface for all of the cars operations is nearly unusable or frustrating to the point that it makes them not like the vehicle.
Savagegeese YT channel just did a good video about infotainment with Toyota. Toyota NA took over the development from the Japanese division because Americans thought the stuff in their cars was trash.

It was/is trash. Have you been in a recent Toyota? The infotainment looks like it came from 1995. And, sadly, its worlds faster and more usable than this Honda I own.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:24 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:43 pm

It was/is trash. Have you been in a recent Toyota? The infotainment looks like it came from 1995. And, sadly, its worlds faster and more usable than this Honda I own.
The design sucks for sure, but the implementation is 5/7. At least in the 4R, I've never had it slow down, glitch, or crash when that happened frequently in my Stellanus and GM products. It shows Android Auto no problem, and since it doesn't glitch (yet?) it's a pretty decent thing overall.

I don't have any experience with Honda, but if it's design as bad as Toyota's with the reliability of Stellanus/GM, then :disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:45 am

The design sucks for sure, but the implementation is 5/7. At least in the 4R, I've never had it slow down, glitch, or crash when that happened frequently in my Stellanus and GM products. It shows Android Auto no problem, and since it doesn't glitch (yet?) it's a pretty decent thing overall.

I don't have any experience with Honda, but if it's design as bad as Toyota's with the reliability of Stellanus/GM, then :disgust:
I concur on all of this, especially the trash design but good implementation piece. I live with AA always running plug, so it's pretty dece to look at, text and call with, or control music on my phone or switch over to the radio. Looks bad, but works ok.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My VW had much better programming and interface. It's not Toyota’s strong suit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:06 am

I concur on all of this, especially the trash design but good implementation piece. I live with AA always running plug, so it's pretty dece to look at, text and call with, or control music on my phone or switch over to the radio. Looks bad, but works ok.
A few of the design things that annoy me:

- Radio station (SXM or terrestrial) presets just show numbers, and there's a ton of presets so they're pretty worthless unless you memorize station numbers
- Navigation is worthless and extremely unintuitive. I've tried to use it many times and it always seems to get stuck focused on some random point that doesn't make sense that I can't get off of. It has a terrible POI interface, and even if you dictate an address to it, it doesn't work
- Bluetooth is horrific (I've mentioned this before)
- WiFi turns itself off every time you power cycle the truck. And you need to be parked to turn it back on. :butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:29 am
Tar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:06 am

- Radio station (SXM or terrestrial) presets just show numbers, and there's a ton of presets so they're pretty worthless unless you memorize station numbers
- Navigation is worthless and extremely unintuitive. I've tried to use it many times and it always seems to get stuck focused on some random point that doesn't make sense that I can't get off of. It has a terrible POI interface, and even if you dictate an address to it, it doesn't work
- WiFi turns itself off every time you power cycle the truck. And you need to be parked to turn it back on. :butwhy:
Yeah those are craptastic design elements for sure, I use AA for all the communications to my phone and nav stuff, don't even bother with blewtooth/factory interface. Apparently many redesigned models have an updated system, can't speak to how well it works but I hear it's good.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:51 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:29 am

Yeah those are craptastic design elements for sure, I use AA for all the communications to my phone and nav stuff, don't even bother with blewtooth/factory interface. Apparently many redesigned models have an updated system, can't speak to how well it works but I hear it's good.
AA uses bluetooth for calls, no?

My phone is crappy and if the USB cable moves at all in the phone port, AA drops off. SO if I bump or move my phone, AA is gone and I lose whatever was going on. Most of the time I can get it back by jiggling the connector, but sometimes it forces me to go into park to get it back and that's just :ayfkm: :rolleyes:
Johnny_P

Yeah it works which is why it’s better than what Honda is doing. It’s just ugly as hell with really poor quality screens unless you get the expensive upgrade but even then you have the ugly interface.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:18 am

My phone is crappy and if the USB cable moves at all in the phone port, AA drops off. SO if I bump or move my phone, AA is gone and I lose whatever was going on. Most of the time I can get it back by jiggling the connector, but sometimes it forces me to go into park to get it back and that's just :ayfkm: :rolleyes:
That happened to me and turned out there was about a shot glass worth of pocket lint jammed into the iPhone lightning connector. Cleaned it with a paper clip and now it works great again.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I thought with things being hardwired that BT isn't required, but that makes sense because I can't turn it off when I'm plugged in. Look at that, I learned something new today. IDK, mine sounds ok, maybe the smaller cabin helps or the Cammie uses an updated mic?

Androids are super cheap nowadays, it might be time 😁 . I'm not one to talk, I've been rolling with a sheet of clear packing tape over my broken screen for longer then I'm willing to admit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 am

That happened to me and turned out there was about a shot glass worth of pocket lint jammed into the iPhone lightning connector. Cleaned it with a paper clip and now it works great again.
Yea, I've tried digging in there constantly and can't get anything out. It's possible something is so jammed in there that it's basically part of the phone now.

It's a 3 year old Pixel 3a, so I should upgrade soon anyway.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Our Jeep has the best infotainment :dill: I've ever used. It's crashed once in two years, :aintcare:

I have rented a few Toyotas this year and the camera resolution/screens look way better than the HRV I had last weekend, that was the worst I've seen in a modern vehicle. I don't recall it being THAT bad in the Type R I test drove, but maybe I was just :aintcare: because it had a good car wrapped around it instead of a shitbox.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:30 am

I thought with things being hardwired that BT isn't required, but that makes sense because I can't turn it off when I'm plugged in. Look at that, I learned something new today. IDK, mine sounds ok, maybe the smaller cabin helps or the Cammie uses an updated mic?

Androids are super cheap nowadays, it might be time 😁 . I'm not one to talk, I've been rolling with a sheet of clear packing tape over my broken screen for longer then I'm willing to admit.
The 4R is ancient and uses ancient tech in places like bluetooth. I'm sure yours is better.

I just DGAF about my phone. It works, that's good enough. 3 years old and it still can go 2 days on a charge, no bugs, but the USB port thing is probably going to force an upgrade. :|
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:32 am Our Jeep has the best infotainment :dill: I've ever used. It's crashed once in two years, :aintcare:

I have rented a few Toyotas this year and the camera resolution/screens look way better than the HRV I had last weekend, that was the worst I've seen in a modern vehicle. I don't recall it being THAT bad in the Type R I test drove, but maybe I was just :aintcare: because it had a good car wrapped around it instead of a shitbox.
Oh wow, both my JL and JT had infotainment glitches somewhat frequently. The interface itself is phenomenal, but we seemed to constantly have issues with it crashing, locking up, or not starting up at all. The Ram was the worst and had the least functionality, made no sense.

The camera on the 4R gets a lot of hate, but I don't find it different from my Jeeps :iono: The Cucktrek camera was worse.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:32 am Our Jeep has the best infotainment :dill: I've ever used. It's crashed once in two years, :aintcare:

Oh wow, both my JL and JT had infotainment glitches somewhat frequently. The interface itself is phenomenal, but we seemed to constantly have issues with it crashing, locking up, or not starting up at all. The Ram was the worst and had the least functionality, made no sense.

The camera on the 4R gets a lot of hate, but I don't find it different from my Jeeps :iono: The Cucktrek camera was worse.
The Jeep camera (as has been the case with most rentals) goes pretty much unnoticed by me which indicates it is plenty good enough :iono:

I have always thought those who bitched about camera resolution were weird... until I rented this Honda. My god. It must've been like 100x100 pixels. The image was super saturated as well to the point where vehicles just kind of blurred into the road.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 am

The Jeep camera (as has been the case with most rentals) goes pretty much unnoticed by me which indicates it is plenty good enough :iono:

I have always thought those who bitched about camera resolution were weird... until I rented this Honda. My god. It must've been like 100x100 pixels. The image was super saturated as well to the point where vehicles just kind of blurred into the road.
I use the rear camera really only for hitching up a trailer, which I do somewhat frequently. It's a good test of functional resolution to find the trailer coupler to line the ball up with. 4R is passable, the Ram was unusable, the JT was the best.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:56 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:49 am

I use the rear camera really only for hitching up a trailer, which I do somewhat frequently. It's a good test of functional resolution to find the trailer coupler to line the ball up with. 4R is passable, the Ram was unusable, the JT was the best.
I find the backup cam is pretty useful parallel parking as well, I kind of wish the BMcuckleU had one :ohwell: