JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:54 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Right but there has been ZERO trips to the dragstrip.
Your trip to the grocery store at 130F outside is all it takes baby.
Apparently
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My wife would definitely notice and be pissed if she curbed a wheel. I don’t recall her doing it in our time together, now she drives a :jeep: so it’s a non issue. She did hit my Corvette with her Fusion though :rage:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:08 pm My wife would definitely notice and be pissed if she curbed a wheel. I don’t recall her doing it in our time together, now she drives a :jeep: so it’s a non issue. She did hit my Corvette with her Fusion though :rage:
I brought the topic up because I fixed 3 out of 4 BMW ramz @160/pop while she was out of town and then she got back and promptly parallel parked and re curbed a rear wheel. She was appropriately apologetic and did take the subject wheel to the wheel shop and doled out another $160. We'll see how it goes. I pretty much suggested that the desert rarely requires parallel parking so perhaps it was to be avoided. The new Tahoe on 22's now has curbable ramz. She may need a Sasquatch Bronco. Pretty much the whole world drives around on curbed ramz but I would rather kill myself.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:08 pm My wife would definitely notice and be pissed if she curbed a wheel. I don’t recall her doing it in our time together, now she drives a :jeep: so it’s a non issue. She did hit my Corvette with her Fusion though :rage:
I brought the topic up because I fixed 3 out of 4 BMW ramz @160/pop while she was out of town and then she got back and promptly parallel parked and re curbed a rear wheel. She was appropriately apologetic and did take the subject wheel to the wheel shop and doled out another $160. We'll see how it goes. I pretty much suggested that the desert rarely requires parallel parking so perhaps it was to be avoided. The new Tahoe on 22's now has curbable ramz. She may need a Sasquatch Bronco. Pretty much the whole world drives around on curbed ramz but I would rather kill myself.
Sidewall is the answer. Big wheels suck.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 am

I like the balloon tires on the CRV and that’s even 18” wheels or something. 17s would have been even better.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:41 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:35 am
I like the balloon tires on the CRV and that’s even 18” wheels or something. 17s would have been even better.
Yep, especially on a couch like yours, the smallest possible wheels are the answer. Unfortunately, people don't like the way small wheels look, so they're not as popular as they should be. It's a big reason why I like off-roaders because even on the street they're ZFG about everything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:41 am

Yep, especially on a couch like yours, the smallest possible wheels are the answer. Unfortunately, people don't like the way small wheels look, so they're not as popular as they should be. It's a big reason why I like off-roaders because even on the street they're ZFG about everything.
I think a lot of people actually like them, hence the off roads trend. Even if we look at our small sample size of forum, you, me, jp are all pro small wheels.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:59 am
I think a lot of people actually like them, hence the off roads trend. Even if we look at our small sample size of forum, you, me, jp are all pro small wheels.
:dat:

I think the car execs THINK people hate them and are fairly :wrong:

There is certainly a subset who love huge :ramz: but most like a couch.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:07 am
:dat:

I think the car execs THINK people hate them and are fairly :wrong:

There is certainly a subset who love huge :ramz: but most like a couch.
Man, the arguments I had at Stellanus about putting 22" wheels on the GC was just :mindblown:

Dealers claim to only want vehicles with huge wheels. Even 20's on the Wrangler was a dealer request for years that finally happened. OEM likes it because wheels are huge margin and an easy way to justify a higher trim level. And people pay it. But I wonder if garbage roads and high wheel replacement costs will start to change that, like Max said with the off-road trend.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I do not understand the huge ramz thing at all. Federal law should cap manufacturers @ 20. But part of it is car design yes? Making big ass wheel wells that require a shitton of wheel and tire.
Only cool thing about big ramz on the Brahhoe is that when the front pads wear out I can replace them with Chevy Brembros. Which I am definitely going to do since otherwise the big ramz have no point. I have not investigated how much unsprung weight you have on 22s with low profile tires vs. 18s with A/Ts, but I assume it is substantial. Oh well. It's a Lincoln with 4WD and a truck frame.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:25 pm I do not understand the huge ramz thing at all. Federal law should cap manufacturers @ 20. But part of it is car design yes? Making big ass wheel wells that require a shitton of wheel and tire.
Only cool thing about big ramz on the Brahhoe is that when the front pads wear out I can replace them with Chevy Brembros. Which I am definitely going to do since otherwise the big ramz have no point. I have not investigated how much unsprung weight you have on 22s with low profile tires vs. 18s with A/Ts, but I assume it is substantial. Oh well. It's a Lincoln with 4WD and a truck frame.
Your wheels and tires weigh about 90lbs
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:25 pm I do not understand the huge ramz thing at all. Federal law should cap manufacturers @ 20. But part of it is car design yes? Making big ass wheel wells that require a shitton of wheel and tire.
:sad:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:07 pm

Why :sad:

You drive something that should have SS in front of it's name. None of this is unexpected. Just like MPGs and Gas tank sizes in your category of vehicle.

Steam on and look down on the poors/haters. :iono:
Johnny_P

Routinely getting 40-50 MPG in the CRV now. I drive like a cuck in it though and I really dgaf that I do. It's too slow to go fast on the highway anyway. 55 MPH speed limit, I usually cruise around 62-65 ish or so when traffic permits. I'm more relaxed driving this than any other car I've owned. So thats good.

So it under delivers in the winter big time, over delivers slightly in the summer.

My sister in law heard the pedestrian warning sound for the first time and said "oh it sounds like robots singing or something like that" and her husband goes "yeah but it doesn't stop doing it." I really want to rip this fucking speaker out, its the worst part of the entire vehicle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 pm

Why :sad:

You drive something that should have SS in front of it's name. None of this is unexpected. Just like MPGs and Gas tank sizes in your category of vehicle.

Steam on and look down on the poors/haters. :iono:
It does drive nicely for a tank.
ChrisoftheNorth

The FST Brembro option is 5/7.

Still, I'd downsize the wheels if it were my truck. I just hate tiny/stiff sidewalls.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm Routinely getting 40-50 MPG in the CRV now. I drive like a cuck in it though and I really dgaf that I do. It's too slow to go fast on the highway anyway. 55 MPH speed limit, I usually cruise around 62-65 ish or so when traffic permits. I'm more relaxed driving this than any other car I've owned. So thats good.

So it under delivers in the winter big time, over delivers slightly in the summer.

My sister in law heard the pedestrian warning sound for the first time and said "oh it sounds like robots singing or something like that" and her husband goes "yeah but it doesn't stop doing it." I really want to rip this fucking speaker out, its the worst part of the entire vehicle.
The pedestrian warning thing is a federal mandate for vehicles that car drive silently. Just sucks that some OEMs make it more annoying than others.
ChrisoftheNorth

And 40-50mpg is legit :notbad: :impressive: Glad it finally figured itself out.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:15 pm And 40-50mpg is legit :notbad: :impressive: Glad it finally figured itself out.
Yea that's essentially :aintcare: levels for fueling costs compared to everything else.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:24 pm Routinely getting 40-50 MPG in the CRV now. I drive like a cuck in it though and I really dgaf that I do. It's too slow to go fast on the highway anyway. 55 MPH speed limit, I usually cruise around 62-65 ish or so when traffic permits. I'm more relaxed driving this than any other car I've owned. So thats good.

The pedestrian warning thing is a federal mandate for vehicles that car drive silently. Just sucks that some OEMs make it more annoying than others.
It’s just that it’s so much louder than even the gas engine CRV. It also never shuts off. So a gas motor CRV turns the engine off at a stop and is dead silent. This is always blaring the siren. Maybe I’m overly sensitive to it but I can’t drive with the windows down because it’s so loud. Even with them up it’s annoying.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:12 pm

Still, I'd downsize the wheels if it were my truck. I just hate tiny/stiff sidewalls.
I could go 20" and still Brembro but I can't find any love for the proposition that 20 offers a better ride than 22. Eh. Nothing happening soon I've got Michelin LTX's with 1200 miles on them.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:12 pm

I could go 20" and still Brembro but I can't find any love for the proposition that 20 offers a better ride than 22. Eh. Nothing happening soon I've got Michelin LTX's with 1200 miles on them.
Less chance of curbage is also :aintcare: ?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:14 pm
It’s just that it’s so much louder than even the gas engine CRV. It also never shuts off. So a gas motor CRV turns the engine off at a stop and is dead silent. This is always blaring the siren. Maybe I’m overly sensitive to it but I can’t drive with the windows down because it’s so loud. Even with them up it’s annoying.
:disgust: That would :rage: me.
max225

https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/u ... as.209119/

Seems like you could unplug the speaker behind the fog light in all of a few min and never worry again. But clearly it would make you a career CRIMINAL
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:25 pm https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/u ... as.209119/

Seems like you could unplug the speaker behind the fog light in all of a few min and never worry again. But clearly it would make you a career CRIMINAL
It triggers a CEL. I could probably just wire a resistor in there. Or wire it in such a way as to lower the volume without disrupting the current flow across the leads.

Yeah that forum is full of chodes. I was there for like 4 posts and gave up on them.