JP’s Family Truckster

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:58 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:50 am
Whoa how did they fuck the air filter up ? My tsx filter can only go in one way. Unless you’re talking cabin air. Then it makes sense.

I just do most things myself nowadays as it’s just a shit show otherwise
Cabin filter. It’s a rectangle. They put the short side of the filter in the long side of the box.
10-4. I got a confused because you said “air box” etc
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

This weekend the truckster needed an unscheduled service stop. Because I picked up a nail in one of the tires. $77 at the local mom and pop repair shop near the new house and I’m good to go with a patch. At least found a seemingly solid auto repair place. They’re unlikely to fuck up an oil change.

Lifetime MPG is 39.2.

I gotta put a hitch on it for a bike rack. And maybe get it detailed because the dog hair is everywhere. It’s a good appliance overall. The newer one seems like it fixes many of the issues I have with it aside from how slow it is.
max225

39.2 mpg is :impressive: af
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:14 pm This weekend the truckster needed an unscheduled service stop. Because I picked up a nail in one of the tires. $77 at the local mom and pop repair shop near the new house and I’m good to go with a patch. At least found a seemingly solid auto repair place. They’re unlikely to fuck up an oil change.

Lifetime MPG is 39.2.

I gotta put a hitch on it for a bike rack. And maybe get it detailed because the dog hair is everywhere. It’s a good appliance overall. The newer one seems like it fixes many of the issues I have with it aside from how slow it is.
My cousins mom, for the first time wants to go get a new crv hybrid touring.....after her 4th accord dating all the way back to 1988 flip up lights gen. Cause the new one is too big

I recently rode in one of those via lyft, they're comfortable and smooth
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:57 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:14 pm This weekend the truckster needed an unscheduled service stop. Because I picked up a nail in one of the tires. $77 at the local mom and pop repair shop near the new house and I’m good to go with a patch. At least found a seemingly solid auto repair place. They’re unlikely to fuck up an oil change.

Lifetime MPG is 39.2.

My cousins mom, for the first time wants to go get a new crv hybrid touring.....after her 4th accord dating all the way back to 1988 flip up lights gen. Cause the new one is too big

Accords are boats anymore. CRV uses the same motor as the accord hybrid though. So it’s a lot slower. It has no balls.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:40 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:57 pm

Accords are boats anymore. CRV uses the same motor as the accord hybrid though. So it’s a lot slower. It has no balls.
Would "Cousins mom" care? A CRV is kind of big though.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:44 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:40 am

She only drives 2 miles from and to work back to back, and barely drives otherwise.

Well my cousin haha. Involving parents son and daughter around the same age as me.

And yeah she wanted to be high up, lot of "compact" cuv's are big now
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:44 am

She only drives 2 miles from and to work back to back, and barely drives otherwise.

Well my cousin haha. Involving parents son and daughter around the same age as me.

What about an EV? With a short commute like that the hybrid won’t have a benefit.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:00 pm

What about an EV? With a short commute like that the hybrid won’t have a benefit.
I have told them that. But they wanted to rather go for the hybrid. But definitely better than her accord as its just a 2.4 4 banger
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:06 pm

I have told them that. But they wanted to rather go for the hybrid. But definitely better than her accord as its just a 2.4 4 banger
On a 2 mile drive the CRV hybrid will get 20-25 mpg. Because Honda can’t figure out a reasonable warm up protocol for the motor. When the motor is warming up at every key cycle, it will run the engine without generating electricity for about a minute or two. It’s just wasted fuel to warm the motor and oil. It will do this every time the key is turned on regardless if it’s just been driven or not. A normal car will idle high for a few seconds but it can be driven immediately and generate useful power from the fuel it’s burning. The honda hybrids cannot generate power while warming up.

It will do worse in the winter because unlike Toyotas there is no heat pump, and the only heat comes from running the motor.

These only make sense if you have a mid length commute, lots of town roads to travel with stop/go, or slower highway speeds.
Johnny_P

Got a recall notice on the 12v battery cable so brought the CRV to the dealer to get that done.

They hit my wife with the “your cabin air filter is dirty af we can replace it for $170” as well as another $700 of fuel treatments and snake oil. Thankfully she declined it.

So I can’t trust the dealer. But otherwise it’s an alright car.

Pluses
Drives good
Comfy suspension but holds its own on a winding road, no float
Holds a lot of shit
Gas mileage is 37 average ish
Has needed nearly nothing in 2.5 years

Cons
It’s really slow and slow to respond to throttle unless in sport mode
Gas mileage could be better, rav4 hybrid is about 5 mpg better than it
Stereo sound is ok but needs a better equalizer
Infotainment is trash

I’d get it again I think. The new model fixes some of this but cost cuts on other things.

Got the OK to consider a second vehicle when the little girl pops out. So a daddy car might be in the cards in a few months.
max225

Y’all are single car life’ing still ? Also yea most Honda dealers are epic liars with the maintenance snake oils…
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:12 am Y’all are single car life’ing still ? Also yea most Honda dealers are epic liars with the maintenance snake oils…
Yeah. Works for us and our budget. A second car would really stretch the financials. I’d need something cheap that I could pay cash for.

Single income life.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

An auto four cylinder F30 BMW has to be pretty cheap now and pretty dece.