Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:02 pm Yay another 3 row monster ...

I still don’t understand how the average number of children went down over the last 40 years yet everyone “needs”. A 9 row suv :wtf:
Body on frame 3-rows like this only exist for flexing. Customer data indicates that most people who buy Escalades and Navigators do it for the :fancy: and not so much family hauling. Most have 2 or less kids.

DO YOU EVEN BIGGER IS BETTER BRO?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

As far as domestic SUV's go, I really like what Lincoln has been cooking up.

4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Nautilus is meh inside, but I'd look at an Aviator real hard if I was in the market.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Melon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:33 pm As far as domestic SUV's go, I really like what Lincoln has been cooking up.

:dat: I sat in a number of Lincolns at the Auto Show here in Charlotte last year and was :mindblown: at the interior quality/design. They really blew Merc/BMW out of the water IMO.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I still don’t understand how the average number of children went down over the last 40 years yet everyone “needs”. A 9 row suv :wtf:
Body on frame 3-rows like this only exist for flexing. Customer data indicates that most people who buy Escalades and Navigators do it for the :fancy: and not so much family hauling. Most have 2 or less kids.

They are popular with the rich blue collar people down here... people with successful plumbing/contracting/pool building/whatever businesses; typically they are southern natives and a bit redneck - they spend money on flash and also expensive toys like boats/ATVs which these vehicles can tow around.

Also, every >$200K family here owns a Tahoe/Suburban or something along those lines, it's a status symbol to have a :truk: SUV.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 pm

They are popular with the rich blue collar people down here... people with successful plumbing/contracting/pool building/whatever businesses; typically they are southern natives and a bit redneck - they spend money on flash and also expensive toys like boats/ATVs which these vehicles can tow around.

Also, every >$200K family here owns a Tahoe/Suburban or something along those lines, it's a status symbol to have a :truk: SUV.
:dat: :dat: :dat: Very few "need" it, but want it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:35 pm Image

Aviator is incredible. :mindblown: how much Ford spent on that thing.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I drive a mini

:micdrop:
max225

A 200k family can’t afford a Suburban unless it’s 200k each ...
max225

Melon wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:33 pm As far as domestic SUV's go, I really like what Lincoln has been cooking up.

:dat: and their :dillership: s look amazing now
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:45 pm

:bruh: the Bay Area is one city in a country with many more people. Average Joe's that live anywhere but LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, or DC with $200K household income are pretty damn rich. My household income is under that and we are rich and could easily go buy a new Suburban. Not saying it is bean counter approved, but it would be easy to do and cause no life backlash.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 pm

:bruh: the Bay Area is one city in a country with many more people. Average Joe's that live anywhere but LA, SF, NYC, Seattle, or DC with $200K household income are pretty damn rich. My household income is under that and we are rich and could easily go buy a new Suburban. Not saying it is bean counter approved, but it would be easy to do and cause no life backlash.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:56 pm

200k income with 2 kids and a house is nothing. Sure if you’re two single dudes making 200k and living in a $1200 a month Appartement then you can afford a 70k suv.
This has nothing to do with the Bay Area. Any decent urban area is about 350-500k for a house nowadays. I’d assume you want to house your near 100k vehicle In a garage.

Living paycheck to paycheck is not being able to “afford” anything. It’s a temporarily blip that may cause a relocation or liquidation of assets due to even the most minor distraction
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:09 pm

Another 3-row? Is it gonna be more Durango sized or be the size of the GW?
GW is body on frame and meant for towing and ultimate fancy. :notsure: on the market for it, but margins are strong on that sort of vehicle, soooo

There's room for a more Durango sized unibody 3-row. That segment has exploded recently with the Teluride and redesigns of the Explorer and Highlander.
Interesting, and good to know. We really like the 'mid size' SUV segment, the size of the Durango. Anything bigger is just too much, honestly. And, while we still only have the 1 kiddo, no need for anything bigger until they're bigger now too. But, keeping an eye on the market/segment cause it's growing so rapidly.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I dig them, and so does the wife. They're just so much $$$, and there's still that 'stigma' that comes with them; same with Buick sadly too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:27 pm
GW is body on frame and meant for towing and ultimate fancy. :notsure: on the market for it, but margins are strong on that sort of vehicle, soooo

There's room for a more Durango sized unibody 3-row. That segment has exploded recently with the Teluride and redesigns of the Explorer and Highlander.
Interesting, and good to know. We really like the 'mid size' SUV segment, the size of the Durango. Anything bigger is just too much, honestly. And, while we still only have the 1 kiddo, no need for anything bigger until they're bigger now too. But, keeping an eye on the market/segment cause it's growing so rapidly.
Mid SUVs are rapidly emerging as the new Minivan. Just the right size for most families, but not unwieldy.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Mid SUVs are rapidly emerging as the new Minivan. Just the right size for most families, but not unwieldy.
I would assume something like the Telluride is the market leader due to pricing/size. It maintains some level of affordability for most families
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

That's why the wife likes them so much as well. Durango, Traverse, Explorer and Telluride all have the room she's looking for, in the size she wants, with the cargo capacity we need as a family when we travel. I like the size of them, and we both like the 3rd row. I'd love a larger SUV honestly, but the cost is stupid, and with only 1 kiddo, there's no need to go full :troywax:
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:05 pm

I dig them, and so does the wife. They're just so much $$$, and there's still that 'stigma' that comes with them; same with Buick sadly too.
Lincoln has massive progress to make with the brand. Ford invested insane money into the products, but the brand needs to catch up to command the prices. Unfortunately, premium brands are built over decades, not years. Unless you go full blast like Lexus did when launching in the 90's. As Max said, the dealer transformation has been :impressive: but there's a lot more work to do.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:12 pm
I would assume something like the Telluride is the market leader due to pricing/size. It maintains some level of affordability for most families
Volume pales in comparison to Highlander, Pilot, and even Grand Cherokee. BUT, demand for the Telluride is off the charts for the reasons you mentioned. I've read that Hyundai vastly underestimated demand for the product and are quite under capacity at the plant.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:17 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:12 pm

Volume pales in comparison to Highlander, Pilot, and even Grand Cherokee. BUT, demand for the Telluride is off the charts for the reasons you mentioned. I've read that Hyundai vastly underestimated demand for the product and are quite under capacity at the plant.
Telluride is much bigger, no? Highlander would be a direct comparable though.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Devilchrono wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:14 pm
That's why the wife likes them so much as well. Durango, Traverse, Explorer and Telluride all have the room she's looking for, in the size she wants, with the cargo capacity we need as a family when we travel. I like the size of them, and we both like the 3rd row. I'd love a larger SUV honestly, but the cost is stupid, and with only 1 kiddo, there's no need to go full :troywax:
Yep, they're an ideal size for a family, hence the explosion in popularity. I've been working on the Jeep entrant for over a year now. I think it will be a strong player in the segment.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:17 pm
Much bigger than what?

It's directly in line with Explorer, Highlander, Pilot, Ascent, etc...actually a tad smaller than the Traverse, which is the largest in the segment.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:23 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:20 pm

Much bigger than what?

It's directly in line with Explorer, Highlander, Pilot, Ascent, etc...actually a tad smaller than the Traverse, which is the largest in the segment.
Grand cherokee?