:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Exact same situation
max225

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:32 am
adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:52 am Think I’m gonna keep moving forward with it but make the final call on Wednesday when I can see it in person. If the oil looks real bad I’m not gonna go through with it.

Glenwood Audi is closed today so I’ll have to call Monday to ask if they have service history.
Do you know if Audi offers complimentary oil changes? Kind of hard to imagine rocking a lease for three years and not a single oil change…. But some people are dumb.

Personally the appearance of oil being black seems very normal and like a nonissue…
It is an issue if there were 2 oil changes in 2 months … something is up
max225

https://www.audiglenwoodsprings.com/use ... a3a815.htm

Here’s the same car in a different color at the same dealer. With a working maintenance history. How much cheaper is the blue one? If more than 2k then they know they have a lemon on their hands
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:02 am https://www.audiglenwoodsprings.com/use ... a3a815.htm

Here’s the same car in a different color at the same dealer. With a working maintenance history. How much cheaper is the blue one? If more than 2k then they know they have a lemon on their hands
The one I’m looking at is at Audi Atlanta, was originally leased from Glenwood.

But it’s listed at 38,895
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:58 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:32 am

Do you know if Audi offers complimentary oil changes? Kind of hard to imagine rocking a lease for three years and not a single oil change…. But some people are dumb.

Personally the appearance of oil being black seems very normal and like a nonissue…
It is an issue if there were 2 oil changes in 2 months … something is up
I think they have the year wrong on the Glenwood oil change entry because it’s currently in Atlanta. Kinda fucky.

I did put down a deposit though and complain and this is what they responded with:

Definitely going to call Glenwood on Monday and see if they can dig up maintenance records from the lease period.

Since I’ve already put down the deposit and booked the flight I’m gonna go check it out in person, but 100% ready to walk if needed and will request them to refund the deposit for vehicle not being as advertised. If they don’t refund I’ll do a credit card chargeback.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

golftdibrad1 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:41 am
adoob wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:58 pm Also I think that most recent record at Glenwood this month is wrong, because it's at Audi Atlanta.
dude the oil thing combined with the fact the dealer won't do warranty work on their own brand before sale? Id fuckin run. The warranty work would literally cost them nothing. If they weren't and audi dealer I'd have more sympathy (logistics and all) but the fuckin car is already on their lot!
Yeah that did bug me a bit. There does seem to be a TSB for 2020-2022 SQ5’s with the sport e-diff like this one for a leak

max225

Another oil change Jesus Christ

Keep us posted man, but honestly I’d probably walk due to it being such an expensive car.

Just fyi, I tried to get additional service records from Mercedes and they were super annoying about it and refused. Hopefully these guys are more chill. I seem to recollect the whole VW/service history thing being pretty robust. So if they have no record with that vin, I’d def walk. 30k with no oil changes likely fubared the engine
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

They’re gonna hate me by the end of this if they don’t already :lolol:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:44 pm Another oil change Jesus Christ

Keep us posted man, but honestly I’d probably walk due to it being such an expensive car.

Just fyi, I tried to get additional service records from Mercedes and they were super annoying about it and refused. Hopefully these guys are more chill. I seem to recollect the whole VW/service history thing being pretty robust. So if they have no record with that vin, I’d def walk. 30k with no oil changes likely fubared the engine
Yeah. At the moment it’s not looking good. Tempted to cancel if they can’t verify anything, as I’ve done some thinking and maybe I don’t really need a 2021+ and don’t need it so soon. A 2018-2020 would get me 90% of this for ~$10k less and if it’s a little higher miles but has solid service history I’m game.

I just need something to daily and I want a little fun in it. The only real sense of urgency to this is coming from a combination of the Miata breaking last weekend forcing me to borrow my parents’ car and it being my 25th birthday tomorrow and realizing I can finally mostly-comfortably afford something like this.
max225

adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:58 pm Image

Dude this thing is 40k you’re being completely reasonable.
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Also, in the lemon squad inspection they have a video of it starting up and idling, and it sounds fine. Just the usual direct injection noises. They also didn't find anything off with sound or vibration when driving it. There's a chance it's totally fine but it's so hard to tell without being able to see the car up close.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:05 pm
adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:58 pm Image

Dude this thing is 40k you’re being completely reasonable.
:dat:

Unfortunately most :dillerman: don't know or care about cars at all.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:03 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 1:44 pm Another oil change Jesus Christ

Yeah. At the moment it’s not looking good. Tempted to cancel if they can’t verify anything, as I’ve done some thinking and maybe I don’t really need a 2021+ and don’t need it so soon. A 2018-2020 would get me 90% of this for ~$10k less and if it’s a little higher miles but has solid service history I’m game.

I just need something to daily and I want a little fun in it. The only real sense of urgency to this is coming from a combination of the Miata breaking last weekend forcing me to borrow my parents’ car and it being my 25th birthday tomorrow and realizing I can finally mostly-comfortably afford something like this.
No shame in bailing on it if it's feeling fishy, it's a lot of money. Also, while a very nice car, it's not exactly rare/special, more will come up available or maybe you'll settle in on something else. FWIW if the Miata is down, renting cars is pretty cheap now that you're 25. Maybe instead of jumping the gun, see if there's an SQ5, Macan, or similar on Turo and commute in it for a few days to see what you think?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

adoob wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:35 pm Would like some opinions on the SQ5 pre-purchase inspection before I :plac:

https://lemonsquad.com/customer/view-re ... a12a424943

Here's my email to the dealer and the dealer's response to the issues that I brought up:

How do you guys feel about this?

Also yes, I feel like I'm coming off as a :jackass:
I had my friend check the VIN, which he would see any service that was done at any Audi dealer. He said his info matched the Carfax.

adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:55 pm

I had my friend check the VIN, which he would see any service that was done at any Audi dealer. He said his info matched the Carfax.

Outstanding. It's also possible that the previous owner did get changes done elsewhere but this uncertainty is really not great.

Really appreciate this by the way. Thanks a ton.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

adoob wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:35 pm Would like some opinions on the SQ5 pre-purchase inspection before I :plac:

Here's my email to the dealer and the dealer's response to the issues that I brought up:

:nope:

I’d walk if it were me. Buy a return flight and take a vacation to Georgia if don’t want to waste the flight. The dealer should return the deposit. I got my deposit back on my BRZ no questions asked.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

No problem. I love the blue over gray, but these unanswered questions and the possible leaky diff would have me seriously concerned.

I've had maintenance done at Indy shops that reported to Carfax in the past, and it's possible the person changed the oil themselves.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:44 am Paging breh.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rxYldO ... -z06-coupe
:wub: Gonna ride out 2024 with zero major expenses. Stack that cash yo.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:26 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:44 am Paging breh.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rxYldO ... -z06-coupe
:wub: Gonna ride out 2024 with zero major expenses. Stack that cash yo.
Can't wait for January 1st, 2025 :burnout:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:51 pm

I’d walk if it were me. Buy a return flight and take a vacation to Georgia if don’t want to waste the flight. The dealer should return the deposit. I got my deposit back on my BRZ no questions asked.
I still have some hope. There's no visible sludge in the photos, just dark/dirty oil. I've also asked them to send me a photo of the removed filter and drained oil when they change it. I really really doubt the previous owner neglected it that bad but maybe I just have too much hope in humanity :lolol:

Return flight would have to be same day because my dad and baby bro are coming with me as well and I only have Wednesday off at the moment, so kinda pointless. If they can get me the photos I asked for and it looks right, or dig up history somehow, or if when I call Audi Glenwood Springs they dig up records, then I'll go look at it in person. Otherwise I'm gonna tell them to return the deposit and cancel the sale, especially if they just refuse to honor the request. In that case I'll eat the ticket cost since Frontier won't refund.
max225

Absolutely :nope: on this thing. There is a reason they are so able and willing to throw “free” oil changes in as part of a deal. That car will implode
max225

adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:51 pm

I still have some hope. There's no visible sludge in the photos, just dark/dirty oil. I've also asked them to send me a photo of the removed filter and drained oil when they change it. I really really doubt the previous owner neglected it that bad but maybe I just have too much hope in humanity :lolol:

Return flight would have to be same day because my dad and baby bro are coming with me as well and I only have Wednesday off at the moment, so kinda pointless. If they can get me the photos I asked for and it looks right, or dig up history somehow, or if when I call Audi Glenwood Springs they dig up records, then I'll go look at it in person. Otherwise I'm gonna tell them to return the deposit and cancel the sale, especially if they just refuse to honor the request. In that case I'll eat the ticket cost since Frontier won't refund.
:balls: of steel.

We have a first gen mini on the forum…. Possibly a rebuilt title Miata and possibly 0 oil change in 3 years sq5.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:47 pm

Absolutely :nope: on this thing. There is a reason they are so able and willing to throw “free” oil changes in as part of a deal. That car will implode
This is my take too but :popcorn:
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:49 pm
adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:14 pm

We have a first gen mini on the forum…. Possibly a rebuilt title Miata and possibly 0 oil change in 3 years sq5.

To be clear, I'm only taking the flight if things look right with the pics, and hopefully I can get some records from Audi Glenwood Springs. And I'm also ordering a boroscope as we speak to take with me so I can stick it down the oil fill port and check for sludge.

Less :balls: of steel, more :fullretard: mixed with paranoia

If the :dillerman: denies the request I deny the :dill:
max225

adoob wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:06 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:49 pm

To be clear, I'm only taking the flight if things look right with the pics, and hopefully I can get some records from Audi Glenwood Springs. And I'm also ordering a boroscope as we speak to take with me so I can stick it down the oil fill port and check for sludge.

Less :balls: of steel, more :fullretard: mixed with paranoia

If the :dillerman: denies the request I deny the :dill:
So the boroscope should be done on the cylinder walls. See if there is scoring due to rings being gunked up… this thing had 2 extra oil changes to flush things out … so there may not be visible sludge anymore