Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Combination of interesting, cheap, and practical... Why not an 8AT :doge: charger/300?

That's a solid ride for 4 people. There were even AWD options.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:25 pm

That's a car on my short list. (Not AWD necessarily.) Fast enough, BIG GT car, all the new doo dads and knick nacks, no seppuku, epic Korean warranty :mahtroy:
I don't know enough about them to really have formed an opinion. Seems :notbad: on paper, but I suspect the wife would shit all over it (looks too "azn"). Will research :doe:
Genesis is putting that 3.3 T in errthang now and I suspect it is a reliable mill.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:12 pm I may be buying soon myself.. I'd been wanting to off the Jeep, but the Carvana, Truecar, Shift, etc offers kept coming in :flaccid: Buddy of mine out here keeps sending me listings of used Jeeps he wants to buy.. Early JK models priced at $30k for dealerships. Told him I'd sell him mine for that much if he's serious about buying one. That was the price I had in mind for offing it to one of those companies. Plan would be to buy something like a lightly used Civic, or maybe GTI again for "cheap", pay off the little bit I owe on the Jeep, and then stash the rest into savings. Eliminate my monthly payment, lower my fuel costs, and cheaper insurance (hopefully).
Downside is that nothing is really very "cheap". A decent GTI/Si is $20K minimum. MINIs are the only cheap cars.
Mini was the car I wanted to buy when I bought my GTI. I wouldn't mind grabbing one now. Whatever that new trim they're doing looks solid.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:24 pm
Can even get a FWD Clubman, found a number of them and they're quite a bit cheaper than AWD versions.

Could visit SAUCE and pick this up...
https://www.sdmotorgroup.net/inventory/ ... -4dr-HB-S/
Black on black wouldn't be my favorite but I would trust this a lot more than the 2011 personally. I mean, that is quite a :dill: , plus :sawce: :dock: , plus epic trip.

I normally sort of look down on people wanting AWD but given where you live is rather rural and gets a ton of snow, I can see where it would be necessary. People "needing" it in cities can :gtfo:
I don't even think we "need" it. A FWD car with snow tires would do just fine. It's a nice to have, but if I have to pay dearly for it :butwhy: :nope:

I hate black on black, swore I'd never own another black car. But something like this for this price could be worth making an exception. I don't understand why it's so cheap, looks clean inside, has a clear carfox, mileage is avg for the age, this is weird. Fly into SD and drive this back taking a northern route for a few weeks would be incredible. Yellowstone, Glacier, etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:29 pm I drove a 4 cylinder one in KY and it was nice. Dunno what prices look like now.
I did a 2 minute search and prices vary WIDELY. I suspect it has to do with the engine, which I'd just go for the base. I do like the size and bodystyle :doe: As long as it has heated seats, it probably has potential.
I don't remember all of the details but IIRC the base trim came with heated cloth seats, no sunroof, and smaller brakes which can fit 17" wheels. I was really thinking about buying it. The 2.0T+AWD drove nicely with its short low gears, quick steering, and low seating position.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:32 pm Combination of interesting, cheap, and practical... Why not an 8AT :doge: charger/300?

This is not the worst idea, I just hate the company and the stigma of the car. Would be :notbad: :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:47 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:32 pm Combination of interesting, cheap, and practical... Why not an 8AT :doge: charger/300?

This is not the worst idea, I just hate the company and the stigma of the car. Would be :notbad: :doe:
0% chance of Infamous approval.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:11 pm I think you should find the right Clubman and just buy it. Ideally you guys would love it, but of you don't then you still have a car to drive and you'll know better what you actually want or need from a commuter.

Or full scrooge on a manual X3 from 10 years ago.
:manuel: X3 has got to be insane :unicorn: spec.
There's like 20 on CarGurus buuuuut I wouldn't travel for one.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:47 pm
She's back on a Subaru kick, so we're going to test drive a new Outback that the local :dillerman: has in the next few days for :science:

https://www.serrasubaruoftraversecity.c ... e791b8.htm

Left over 2021 with all options on the mid level. She's over the moon that it doesn't have leather (she hates it) but it has the big screen and a sunroof. I actually don't hate this, and think it's at least better than a crossover, but I'm just not excited about it. I bet we'll end up with it because she wants it so bad :doe: Oh well, at least it would hold value and I wouldn't be overpaying for something.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, if I cuck once again on this move on something she really wants, it should give me carte blanche for the truck.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:43 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

This thing is cool as hell. Like a grown-up Zil MINI.
The 2020 got 300hp IIRC. Auto only though. Basically a MINI GoRf
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:04 pm

She's back on a Subaru kick, so we're going to test drive a new Outback that the local :dillerman: has in the next few days for :science:

Left over 2021 with all options on the mid level. She's over the moon that it doesn't have leather (she hates it) but it has the big screen and a sunroof. I actually don't hate this, and think it's at least better than a crossover, but I'm just not excited about it. I bet we'll end up with it because she wants it so bad :doe: Oh well, at least it would hold value and I wouldn't be overpaying for something.
Hate to burst your bubble, but that thing is very much a crossover.

I don't like the direction this is taking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:43 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

This thing is cool as hell. Like a grown-up Zil MINI.
That thing is dope.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:14 pm

Hate to burst your bubble, but that thing is very much a crossover.

I don't like the direction this is taking.
It's the original crossover, indeed. BUT, it's not a fucking Forester, or a Rav4, or Equinox, or Escape, or etc, etc, whatever little CUV thing. It looks like a lifted wagon, which I like that uniqueness.

I hate to admit, but this thing checks every box, just not exciting. And I'm kind of caring less and less at this point. At least I wouldn't lose my ass on this like I would if I spent the same amount on a MINI.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:20 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:18 pm

That thing is dope.
It is. And the same price as a new Outback. The Outback will be worth the same this time next year, this MINI will be worth half.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also if FWD isn't a deal breaker what about the 2017 ish Elantra Sport? Manual, lots of features, and actually looks really good IMO.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/299647458

Would be a fun throwaway car
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:20 pm

That thing is dope.
It is. And the same price as a new Outback. The Outback will be worth the same this time next year, this MINI will be worth half.
True. MrH here still has his turbo Outback, and hasn't complained to me about it at all so it would be a solid :derp: option if you have to settle.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:08 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 60437.html

Case in point … at 7k you likely won’t lose a penny back home.
Fuck...this is what I'm looking for. How do you always come up with these sorts of CL finds? I wouldn't lose a dime on this and could still tow the boat around.
My friend in Chicago might be selling his 02 rust free crew cab 2500. It was an Arkansas truck until last year. If you're seriously interested in something like this let me know. It's too big for him to drive around the city so he just bought an Izusu Ascender at auction.

ChrisoftheNorth

Well, the Subaru :dillerman: claim to have sold their last Outback today. Dodged the bullet there, I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:24 pm Also if FWD isn't a deal breaker what about the 2017 ish Elantra Sport? Manual, lots of features, and actually looks really good IMO.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/share/299647458

Would be a fun throwaway car
Yeah that is actually not bad at all. The depreciation will probably be aggressive though.

:iono: Outbacks certainly do everything which is why they are so popular. It's a good car but just so depressing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:34 pm Well, the Subaru :dillerman: claim to have sold their last Outback today. Dodged the bullet there, I guess.
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 pm
Fuck...this is what I'm looking for. How do you always come up with these sorts of CL finds? I wouldn't lose a dime on this and could still tow the boat around.
My friend in Chicago might be selling his 02 rust free crew cab 2500. It was an Arkansas truck until last year. If you're seriously interested in something like this let me know. It's too big for him to drive around the city so he just bought an Izusu Ascender at auction.

Holy shit, I'm seriously interested. Mega interested, even, as long as he doesn't KNOW WHAT I HAVE NO LOWBALLERS, I'm not really interested in paying more than ~$12k for a 20 year old truck.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:37 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:28 pm

Holy shit, I'm seriously interested. Mega interested, even, as long as he doesn't KNOW WHAT I HAVE NO LOWBALLERS, I'm not really interested in paying more than ~$12k for a 20 year old truck.
PM'd
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:23 pm
True. MrH here still has his turbo Outback, and hasn't complained to me about it at all so it would be a solid :derp: option if you have to settle.
Turbro ones are way more than I want to spend on this sort of thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:34 pm Well, the Subaru :dillerman: claim to have sold their last Outback today. Dodged the bullet there, I guess.
:fuckyeah:
I guess? I was hoping to get a test drive out of the way so she'd at least shut up about it. Or just be done with this hole thing.

My head is all fucked up with work and whatnot, I really don't want to car shop at all right now.