Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

I just read the bulk of this thread. General thoughts are:

1. IMHO [user not found] is correct that even if there is a recession Charlotte isn't going to tank like some places might. North Carolina is loaded in terms of weather and almost everything else.
2. The area is still reasonable enough that you ultimately are not risking an amount that will make you want to commit seppuku if your market goes down, e.g. the difference between $325K and zero is $325K....what's your ultimate downside???? Maybe 60 grand, the same amount you've made on the recent real estate rise. It's not like Max who could theoretically lose $400-600K in a true regional pay area correction. (Unlikely, but still possible.) Meanwhile you've lived your life, had a garage, had a nice kitchen, probably pumped out a crotchfruit or two....lived a nice chunk of your life, which is fleeting bro.
3. This forum has a fair number of people who have opinions on timing the market in real estate and everything else.... and you just have to live your life. Don't buy something you can't afford, but that rule never changes.
4. You can't pay attention to Brad, for reasons he's already admitted. His BR housing experiment has not been the best, and he's also grumpy about cf, his job....his life. I've lived a couple of his crises in my past and I have great sympathy for all of them, but perspectives on home ownership from a guy who really just wants to be riding a motorcycle in the Smoky Mountains all day need to be weighed accordingly.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm I just read the bulk of this thread. General thoughts are:

1. IMHO [user not found] is correct that even if there is a recession Charlotte isn't going to tank like some places might. North Carolina is loaded in terms of weather and almost everything else.
2. The area is still reasonable enough that you ultimately are not risking an amount that will make you want to commit seppuku if your market goes down, e.g. the difference between $325K and zero is $325K....what's your ultimate downside???? Maybe 60 grand, the same amount you've made on the recent real estate rise. It's not like Max who could theoretically lose $400-600K in a true regional pay area correction. (Unlikely, but still possible.) Meanwhile you've lived your life, had a garage, had a nice kitchen, probably pumped out a crotchfruit or two....lived a nice chunk of your life, which is fleeting bro.
3. This forum has a fair number of people who have opinions on timing the market in real estate and everything else.... and you just have to live your life. Don't buy something you can't afford, but that rule never changes.
4. You can't pay attention to Brad, for reasons he's already admitted. His BR housing experiment has not been the best, and he's also grumpy about cf, his job....his life. I've lived a couple of his crises in my past and I have great sympathy for all of them, but perspectives on home ownership from a guy who really just wants to be riding a motorcycle in the Smoky Mountains all day need to be weighed accordingly.
5. Check for flood zoning.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Desertbreh

Melon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm I just read the bulk of this thread. General thoughts are:

5. Check for flood zoning.
:dat:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm .
:sass: :sass: :sass:
:sass: :notwrong: :sass:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:notbad:

I feel the $60K down is the only money being risked realistically... worse case scenario, the place drops to $250K and we lose our jobs, we'd have to walk away and would have lost that cashola... pretty damn low likelihood though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Interestingly, I've been looking into some rental properties - the townhouses we like are about $2K/month (a bit more than mortgage + HOA would be, probably $1600 all-in for that). Rents have absolutely increased since we were looking a year ago.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am Interestingly, I've been looking into some rental properties - the townhouses we like are about $2K/month (a bit more than mortgage + HOA would be, probably $1600 all-in for that). Rents have absolutely increased since we were looking a year ago.
Rents have gone nuts here. Townhouses are over $3k/mo. There aren't that many rentals, but lots of people looking to rent, so the prices have gone crazy. I wouldn't consider renting because of it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am Interestingly, I've been looking into some rental properties - the townhouses we like are about $2K/month (a bit more than mortgage + HOA would be, probably $1600 all-in for that). Rents have absolutely increased since we were looking a year ago.
Rents have gone nuts here. Townhouses are over $3k/mo. There aren't that many rentals, but lots of people looking to rent, so the prices have gone crazy. I wouldn't consider renting because of it.
Renting is for all of us who didn't make $50k+ in :haus: appreciation over the last several years. That ain't Griffdog, he's a winner.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Rents have gone nuts here. Townhouses are over $3k/mo. There aren't that many rentals, but lots of people looking to rent, so the prices have gone crazy. I wouldn't consider renting because of it.
Renting is for all of us who didn't make $50k+ in :haus: appreciation over the last several years. That ain't Griffdog, he's a winner.
:tits: is a winner, I'm full :alpo: status, I didn't do anything other than luck into her :haus: :waxer:

That said, I am :troywax: a lot to seal the marriage deal.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:41 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:37 pm Renting is for all of us who didn't make $50k+ in :haus: appreciation over the last several years. That ain't Griffdog, he's a winner.
:tits: is a winner, I'm full :alpo: status, I didn't do anything other than luck into her :haus: :waxer:

That said, I am :troywax: a lot to seal the marriage deal.
:fuckyeah:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:24 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:09 pm .
:sass: :notwrong: :sass:
:lolol:

fresh :roasted: :fax:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This place/area is now on the list:
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 1546-47877

A bit more suburban but still fairly close to town. We’d have to drive to everything but the house is definitely nice.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:47 am This place/area is now on the list:

A bit more suburban but still fairly close to town. We’d have to drive to everything but the house is definitely nice.
:nice:

I like it a lot.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:45 am

I like it a lot.
:word: I love this one (haven't seen it in person yet)... just need to see if she's on board with the area. She is quite torn - she's from the boonies and wants tranquility but also wants the city conveniences... getting all of that in one house is like $800K+ here, so she needs to decide which is more important. I'm :aintcare: as long as there's a garage and it's not a horrible commute to work/things we do.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

That's my favorite place you've posted so far. Real porch, nice deck, decent kitchen, gayrage, cool back yard, seemingly decent closet space, nice tree views out of several windows, etc. :megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 pm

That's my favorite place you've posted so far. Real porch, nice deck, decent kitchen, gayrage, cool back yard, seemingly decent closet space, nice tree views out of several windows, etc. :megusta:
Yep, also more expensive :lolol: But I agree, I think it is one of the best things for the money in the area. Better school district as well. Just lacking in :millennial: walkability.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah moving to the suburbs gets you a way better house. I'm on the fence as to whether we'll end up doing the same. Driving and hunting+paying for parking everywhere blows but so does having a crappy house.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:40 pm Yeah moving to the suburbs gets you a way better house. I'm on the fence as to whether we'll end up doing the same. Driving and hunting+paying for parking everywhere blows but so does having a crappy house.
Thing is... we live somewhere walkable now and I've noticed we still just drive most places. The main difference would be things we often use Lyft to get to would go up about 50% in cost... but we're talking like $150/month verus $100/month at the max, so it isn't a huge thing. Her commute would be way worse though, that is the other sucky aspect.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:50 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:45 am

I like it a lot.
:word: I love this one (haven't seen it in person yet)... just need to see if she's on board with the area. She is quite torn - she's from the boonies and wants tranquility but also wants the city conveniences... getting all of that in one house is like $800K+ here, so she needs to decide which is more important. I'm :aintcare: as long as there's a garage and it's not a horrible commute to work/things we do.
Like what?

I like this place.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:50 am

Like what?

I like this place.
Five minutes from work, $10 Lyft ride to sportsball games and bars, walking distance to restaurants, gym, etc. Basically, she's got champagne tastes on a beer budget. I DGAF about much other than having a garage and not being in BFE.
Desertbreh

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Like what?

I like this place.
Five minutes from work, $10 Lyft ride to sportsball games and bars, walking distance to restaurants, gym, etc. Basically, she's got champagne tastes on a beer budget. I DGAF about much other than having a garage and not being in BFE.
Having it all usually costs a fair amount.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 pm

:dat: but I wouldn't write it off. Get as close to the area as you can on your budget.

Area is so much more important than the house itself. I can't stress this enough.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Looking at this :excited:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm

:dat: but I wouldn't write it off. Get as close to the area as you can on your budget.

Area is so much more important than the house itself. I can't stress this enough.
This is really the challenge with compromising between two people.

I am insistent on a garage. Most homes here in the areas we'd most prefer don't have garages unless >$600K.

She has several "musts" - no "transitional/up and coming" areas, must be quiet street, must have nice :fancy: kitchen. She has some major fear issues that are kind of limiting. It would be easier to find all of that in target areas with no garage or a garage house without these things... but it's tough finding the middle ground. We both are a bit more flexible on area I think, we'll see how we feel over at these houses today.

If it were just me, I'd probably buy this place: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/516- ... 6843_zpid/

Two car garage, great location, huge driveway space, way cheaper... but it's on a main road so it's too loud for her, and "old houses are scary" :rolleyes: so it's a :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am

This is really the challenge with compromising between two people.

I am insistent on a garage. Most homes here in the areas we'd most prefer don't have garages unless >$600K.

She has several "musts" - no "transitional/up and coming" areas, must be quiet street, must have nice :fancy: kitchen. She has some major fear issues that are kind of limiting. It would be easier to find all of that in target areas with no garage or a garage house without these things... but it's tough finding the middle ground. We both are a bit more flexible on area I think, we'll see how we feel over at these houses today.

If it were just me, I'd probably buy this place: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/516- ... 6843_zpid/

Two car garage, great location, huge driveway space, way cheaper... but it's on a main road so it's too loud for her, and "old houses are scary" :rolleyes: so it's a :nope:
:wat:

So are you only looking at new builds then? That screws you royally IMO, and not at all warranted.

Says the dude that hasn't owned a house newer than 80 years old (current house is 109 years old). I LOVE old houses. They truly don't build them like they used to.

That said, these requirements are going to make it really tough. I'd highly suggest being open to doing some work on a place to get the area you want. It'll pay off in the long run. If the kitchen is slightly out of date, but the space is good, then it could just be a coat of paint on the cabinets and some new appliances away from being awesome.

Doing house work is a part of ownershit, or it'll bankrupt you. Even on a new build, look at all that Brad had to go through. If you're not willing to do some work, you should seriously consider continued renting.