Shade Tree poverty mechanics unite, tell us your one off repair stories.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

[user not found] wrote:I'm 50/50 on glove use.

I hate the lack of dexterity when working with smaller tools and hardware, but also hate dirty hands. :iono:
same. i broke my right thumb in 8th grade so turning a small bolt or nut is miserable. The fatigue really o ly lets me try to turn something for like a minute or so and then I'll have to stop. Gloves make it impossible. I'm dominant with my left hand but i swear 80 percent of the time I'm in a place where i can't use my left hand. Lots of swearing and taking breaks.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote:I wish I could find gloves that fit my hands. They're all too small.
:dedong:

I always try to wear gloves when working on shit, otherwise I tear the fuck out of my hands. For someone who's never had a :manuel: labor job, my hands are fucking full of scars.

I used to call one of the parts guys "Soft hands" and he'd cry like a little bitch about it. He would get so offended.
Last edited by Dbest on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote:I'm 50/50 on glove use.

I hate the lack of dexterity when working with smaller tools and hardware, but also hate dirty hands. :iono:
I find it's way easier to grip sockets and turn them by hand with leather tipped gloves.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Dude ^ yeah. It really makes it harder to hold onto the tools. The second I drop a tool the gloves come off. Spending 10 minutes to get a 10mm socket that has fallen in between the intercooler and radiator? Fuck that.
Yeah its definitely more difficult. I don't mind washing my hands if I get filthy.... But having them dried out, cracking, and bloody sure sucks a big one.
Used oil I'll wear gloves.
Brake dust from swapping wheels comes off extremely easy so I don' t bother to wear gloves- I'll swap out my okay shoes for shit ones though.
Stuff smaller than 15mm usually means it isn't covered in goo which means I won't wear gloves.
There just isn't a time to wear leather gloves while working on a car unless you work at a tire shop and have to put up with corded tires.