Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:40 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:11 pm

Charger is capable up to 350 rivian capped out at 140 . This is not a charger issue
Yea, but why is the Rivian capped? It's not just because they feel like it. It probably has to do with inconsistencies with chargers and programming safely to the lowest common denominator.
They cap it to protect the battery usually or inverter issues…. No idea what their limitations are also receiving 140kw of electricity is insane that’s the equivalent of 30 AC units running at full tilt. An entire industrial building essentially. There could be at least dozens of reasons for capping charge rates. The model S I had was capped at 75 that’s pre 2019 charge limit. Most leafs I3 etc are capped at 50

Tesla currently charges up to 220kw they have been in the game far longer so they obviously figured out more shit than a startup that hasn’t been built 100 units of anything
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:40 pm
Yea, but why is the Rivian capped? It's not just because they feel like it. It probably has to do with inconsistencies with chargers and programming safely to the lowest common denominator.
They cap it to protect the battery usually or inverter issues…. No idea what their limitations are also receiving 140kw of electricity is insane that’s the equivalent of 30 AC units running at full tilt. An entire industrial building essentially. There could be at least dozens of reasons for capping charge rates. The model S I had was capped at 75 that’s pre 2019 charge limit. Most leafs I3 etc are capped at 50

Tesla currently charges up to 220kw they have been in the game far longer so they obviously figured out more shit than a startup that hasn’t been built 100 units of anything
https://rivian.com/experience/charging

They're installing Rivian chargers:
Charging output of over 200 kW initially and 300 kW+ in the future
So the vehicle may reduce itself at third party chargers for reasons, but they're capable of more. Unless that's :bs: which is possible from a company that's only built 100 vehicles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Very likely :bs: they claim to build out a significant network by “the end of 2023”. Pretty sure they claimed they will start making the R1T “by the end of 2020”

I may be a bit :pout: but I’m getting really tired of all these “claims” that are not backed up by any sort of :science: or testing in the real world.

They already stated 315 “range” drops 15% with the most popular wheels … out of which you can then only access 20>80 making the effective range 160 miles … at the current network you’d have to charge 45min every 160 miles that’s some :shit:

Sure buy one today (if you even could) and then wait another 2 years for their supposed special network which doesn’t make any sense. As the current networks are already sufficient …
max225

Damn this car max is not great… really full of cars now :doe: major :fullretard: s here had to fill out a paper application of a digital estimate that doesn’t work. They asked me 2x to fill it out and every time I enter the vin.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Do they have a Fronturd?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:58 pm Do they have a Fronturd?
Don't know... never went in the back.

This carmax experience was weird... Had to go in, in person because they couldn't do it over their online system.

Get a text this am "Can you do it online so you don't have to come in"
No
"ok no worries come in"

Come in at 1.30 for my appointment.
"Can you do the appraisal online" ?
No
"ok no worries it'll be about 1hr to get this done"

Ok... 30 min later a dude was asking another dude how to take a "picture of the engine cuz it doesn't have one"
Then "I need to test drive your car because it says warranty is expired"
I said its a brand new car and he went with "oh ok, nm i'll just put down that it drives fine"
Then he tells me it'll be about 1 hr to do it... and they can send me an email... I said ok...
5 min after coming home... another person calls me
"we're running into a snag" could you please take a pic of the "software screen"

and here we are

:hibachi:
1 day and 1 hr 15 min into a 15 min "appraisal" process. (I couldn't just come in because they were "booked" so I had to schedule a day ahead)

not to mention a random asian family kept eyeing my car and the dude kept circling my car yelling at his wife in chinese who then would ask me random questions about it... while it was getting appraised. So far... 2/7 experience. (and no offer yet)
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:27 pm

This carmax experience was weird... Had to go in, in person because they couldn't do it over their online system.

No
"ok no worries come in"

No

Ok... 30 min later a dude was asking another dude how to take a "picture of the engine cuz it doesn't have one"
I said its a brand new car and he went with "oh ok, nm i'll just put down that it drives fine"
Then he tells me it'll be about 1 hr to do it... and they can send me an email... I said ok...
"we're running into a snag" could you please take a pic of the "software screen"

and here we are

1 day and 1 hr 15 min into a 15 min "appraisal" process. (I couldn't just come in because they were "booked" so I had to schedule a day ahead)

not to mention a random asian family kept eyeing my car and the dude kept circling my car yelling at his wife in chinese who then would ask me random questions about it... while it was getting appraised. So far... 2/7 experience. (and no offer yet)
Yeah for high value cars I've read the process is annoying, because Derrick can't just give away $100k of CarMax's money just like that
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:36 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:31 pm

Lease acquisition is $595 thru NMAC currently (goes to $650 on April 2) + 9% chitown tax + reg/tags + doc.

We're also talking about nothing more than first payment out of pocket, too. Loose rule of thumb is $40/mo for every $1k you roll into a 24 month lease.
Not going to lie I am somewhat looking locally for inventory now... :yikes:
Yeah that is pretty epic. Get locked into 2021 madness. I have the opportunity to get paid $916/month if I offed my car to the friend who wants it... but still nah.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:36 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:36 pm
Not going to lie I am somewhat looking locally for inventory now... :yikes:
Yeah that is pretty epic. Get locked into 2021 madness. I have the opportunity to get paid $916/month if I offed my car to the friend who wants it... but still nah.
What? Bruh get on that pink 4xe life with that :plac: profit
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm

Wrong person :bruh:
max225

Tesla :fakenews: promo video but this thing does have massive cabin air filters and you can’t smell shit if anyone rolls coal on you.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

No
"ok no worries come in"

No

and here we are

:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

No
"ok no worries come in"

No

and here we are

WOW
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: '22 Camry

Not :impressive:
max225

Got offer of 93k… not great and not terrible. Going to list it for 97.5 on FB and Craigslist tonight to see what will happen. Either way I’m not losing a penny and making a little bit of spare change
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

No
"ok no worries come in"

No

and here we are

Go to another Carmax. They vary location by location as far as appraisal competency goes
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:30 pm Image

Sweet looking truck. Really the coolest thing out there in 4X4 land.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

razr390 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 pm

No
"ok no worries come in"

No

and here we are

Go to another Carmax. They vary location by location as far as appraisal competency goes
He should have made a deal directly with the Chinese.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's not horrible Max. I personally would not try it with the X given market conditions, msrp consistency, and higher price tag. At least you're getting paid to rent a brand new "S"upercar! Sounds like a win to me.
max225

Tar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:41 pm That's not horrible Max. I personally would not try it with the X given market conditions, msrp consistency, and higher price tag. At least you're getting paid to rent a brand new "S"upercar! Sounds like a win to me.
Yea I’m certainly not getting the X too much risk. Also my :mahtroy: luck will possibly require another wasted day on another useless carmax appraisal… the other one is around 50 miles r/t so I’m not super happy about that. I’ll be doing a few other things to see true value. All the local model S’ that were listed are all gone. All above 95.. some above 100
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:44 pm
Tar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:41 pm That's not horrible Max. I personally would not try it with the X given market conditions, msrp consistency, and higher price tag. At least you're getting paid to rent a brand new "S"upercar! Sounds like a win to me.
Yea I’m certainly not getting the X too much risk. Also my :mahtroy: luck will possibly require another wasted day on another useless carmax appraisal… the other one is around 50 miles r/t so I’m not super happy about that. I’ll be doing a few other things to see true value. All the local model S’ that were listed are all gone. All above 95.. some above 100
Among some fb hecklers will be some AZN family that's been eye fking the S for a qhile but has no way to get a new one in any less than 6 mths. I'm betting you hit that target. :like:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4WD + tech pack too
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

That rape doc fee tho
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:39 pm

:nope:

If we could straight trade the :jeep: for one, yes. Two :jeep: sounds :disgust: though, I’d rather drive around in the CuckT200 or even a Prius than another :jeep: