OT 20: rotisserie roller coaster

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:21 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:43 am
Hey man, let's take a break. With other admins you and/or I would have been booted by now.
You do you man.

I'm just postin some news from the twitter, without comment, about current events in the *checks notes* off topic thread. If that's ban worthy so be it.
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yo what’s good everyone everyone enjoying the “dip” I lost a bronco in the market today :thisisfine:

Time to buy the dip 🤡
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:49 am Yo what’s good everyone everyone enjoying the “dip” I lost a bronco in the market today :thisisfine:

Time to buy the dip 🤡
:doit:

I haven't been checking my stocks of late :lolol: Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:23 am And for the record, I'm probably not even going to my appointment. I'll just sub out some work or bow out entirely. It is what it is.
My only statement on this is I find it very upsetting that in the land of “our healthcare is way better than the US’s”, a documented averse reaction to your first dose of a two dose vaccine gets you no “other path” or route. It’s frustrating because you have to weigh your livelihood and ability to survive/produce/provide for your family over the unknown physiological response to the second dose.

Plus, you technically ALREADY had COVID, no? So that means jack shit too, I guess
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hitting the road for work next week, looking forward to finally getting in the field after two years. I'll be staying relatively local next week (Charlotte, Durham, Winston-Salem, etc) driving my personal car around.

2/21 I am heading to Dallas. :truckyeah:

Anyone ever calculate out real world costs with getting paid mileage? Looks like we get $0.58/mile. My fuel cost looks to be about $0.12/mile. Seems like I will do decently well with the mileage pay and it's actually preferable to use my own car versus rent when I can (kind of preferred from a convenience and driving enjoyment perspective as well).
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:50 am
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:49 am Yo what’s good everyone everyone enjoying the “dip” I lost a bronco in the market today :thisisfine:

Time to buy the dip 🤡

I haven't been checking my stocks of late :lolol: Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
Yea I don’t do much there… why ? Because selling means epic tax rape… so I just keep shoveling more money into morning to watch numbers on a phone go up and down with nothing to show for it
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:54 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:50 am

Yea I don’t do much there… why ? Because selling means epic tax rape… so I just keep shoveling more money into morning to watch numbers on a phone go up and down with nothing to show for it
I just add and hope that one day it pays off. If it doesn't, :ohwell: I've had a good run at life.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:53 am Hitting the road for work next week, looking forward to finally getting in the field after two years. I'll be staying relatively local next week (Charlotte, Durham, Winston-Salem, etc) driving my personal car around.

Anyone ever calculate out real world costs with getting paid mileage? Looks like we get $0.58/mile. My fuel cost looks to be about $0.12/mile. Seems like I will do decently well with the mileage pay and it's actually preferable to use my own car versus rent when I can (kind of preferred from a convenience and driving enjoyment perspective as well).
Don't forget to factor in depreciation from added miles...That's why the cost per mile is higher than fuel cost.

As long as you're OK with accelerated depreciation from mileage, then go for it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:53 am Hitting the road for work next week, looking forward to finally getting in the field after two years. I'll be staying relatively local next week (Charlotte, Durham, Winston-Salem, etc) driving my personal car around.

Well of course I have. But insane number of variables… in your case you have a lot of “sunk” costs like insurance. Etc…
That said your main expense will be depreciation
And maintenance + fuel as you mentioned.
I would probably assume another 10-15 cents a mile for that…. All in at around 30 so you come out ahead
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:57 am

Don't forget to factor in depreciation from added miles...That's why the cost per mile is higher than fuel cost.

As long as you're OK with accelerated depreciation from mileage, then go for it.
For sure. It's difficult to really put a number on that, particularly now... "how much less will my car appreciate by using it?" :lolol:

I think the largest expense for me is tires, but I also figure I will wear them out at track days and TOTD trips and such regardless, some highway miles likely don't have a huge impact. Also, I tend to time out on fluid changes faster than "mileaging"out.

I think Max's assessment seems decent.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:51 am
Tar wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:23 am And for the record, I'm probably not even going to my appointment. I'll just sub out some work or bow out entirely. It is what it is.
My only statement on this is I find it very upsetting that in the land of “our healthcare is way better than the US’s”, a documented averse reaction to your first dose of a two dose vaccine gets you no “other path” or route. It’s frustrating because you have to weigh your livelihood and ability to survive/produce/provide for your family over the unknown physiological response to the second dose.

Plus, you technically ALREADY had COVID, no? So that means jack shit too, I guess
It's been a tough run, I'm at my limit. Anyways, I'm not going to talk about it on this platform or any. This is bigger then me.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:03 am
razr390 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:51 am

It's been a tough run, I'm at my limit. Anyways, I'm not going to talk about it on this platform or any. This is bigger then me.
You know how to reach me
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:00 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:57 am

For sure. It's difficult to really put a number on that, particularly now... "how much less will my car appreciate by using it?" :lolol:

I think the largest expense for me is tires, but I also figure I will wear them out at track days and TOTD trips and such regardless, some highway miles likely don't have a huge impact. Also, I tend to time out on fluid changes faster than "mileaging"out.

I think Max's assessment seems decent.
Yea and BMWs have non linear depreciation..

It's like
0-30k 50 cents a mile
30-75k ~ 30 cents
75-100k ~ 50 cents
then 100-150k ~ 10 cents
150-200k ~ 3 cents
max225

bmws turn "worthless" with over 100k.. but they lose the most from 75-100k... is what I noticed... compared to their actual value.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:08 am bmws turn "worthless" with over 100k.. but they lose the most from 75-100k... is what I noticed... compared to their actual value.
Yes. Modern BMW's over 80k are good value for money if you can work on them yourself, but thats becoming much harder everyday.

Never had a horn break on a BMW tho, HONKS GUUD
brain go brrrrrr
max225

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:21 am
max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:08 am bmws turn "worthless" with over 100k.. but they lose the most from 75-100k... is what I noticed... compared to their actual value.
Yes. Modern BMW's over 80k are good value for money if you can work on them yourself, but thats becoming much harder everyday.

Yea... BMWs are tough to fix occasionally... Hell look at my bullshit mini experience. Popped engine mount at 35k miles... no way to take off headlight due to useless clips that are one time use and must be drilled out etc.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:21 am

Yea... BMWs are tough to fix occasionally... Hell look at my bullshit mini experience. Popped engine mount at 35k miles... no way to take off headlight due to useless clips that are one time use and must be drilled out etc.
And that's the rub. they really are fantastic cars until they break. Planned obsolescence worse than an Apple product.
brain go brrrrrr
adoob
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Cheese

Hey everyone! Been MIA for a bit, what'd I miss?
Mk6 Jetta 1.8T with sketchy history (sold) -> :cheese:
IG: @cheesy_miata and @adeebsal
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

adoob wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:46 am Hey everyone! Been MIA for a bit, what'd I miss?
No one seems to like disney, sawce is moving and using an airplane to commute somehow, and griff is going to drive his car somewhere.

Oh and Canada has geese. What is it that geese do? They HONK OF COURSE
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

adoob wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:46 am Hey everyone! Been MIA for a bit, what'd I miss?
:howdy:
The usual :poop:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I need a two-ear wireless headset for all these virtual meetings. I have a single ear one now and feel like I’m causing hearing damage.

Any reccos? Logitech?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:02 pm I need a two-ear wireless headset for all these virtual meetings. I have a single ear one now and feel like I’m causing hearing damage.

Any reccos? Logitech?
I use these for working out and around the house. they block out extra noise well and have proven durable. I don't use them to talk with often but have never had any complaints when I do. They would probably even block the honking if you were in ottawa.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0876 ... =UTF8&th=1

I think costco has skull candies on sale for like 50 right now too if you want a little more brand recognition without breaking the bank. If money is no object blose is best, tho i have no personal experience with their wireless headphones.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:02 pm I need a two-ear wireless headset for all these virtual meetings. I have a single ear one now and feel like I’m causing hearing damage.

Any reccos? Logitech?
If you want an over the ear thing, :tits: got me these for Christmas and they're 5/7...

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-XB910N-C ... B6VRR?th=1
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Got around 6" of snow yesterday. Went out after work to snowblow. About half way through my driveway I noticed that snow was not ejecting from the chute. I thought it was clogged but looking down through the chute I could see the driveway surface below. Peeked around to the front and saw the auger was not spinning. :rage: Shut it down and checked the auger. Didn't seem jammed. Might be shear bolts or a drive belt that snapped or needs adjustment. Gotta tear into it this weekend. Fack.

This is it's 17th winter so if I can't fix it without too much hassle I may just replace it. :rolleyes: :ayfkm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh

wap wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:56 pm Got around 6" of snow yesterday. Went out after work to snowblow. About half way through my driveway I noticed that snow was not ejecting from the chute. I thought it was clogged but looking down through the chute I could see the driveway surface below. Peeked around to the front and saw the auger was not spinning. :rage: Shut it down and checked the auger. Didn't seem jammed. Might be shear bolts or a drive belt that snapped or needs adjustment. Gotta tear into it this weekend. Fack.

This is it's 17th winter so if I can't fix it without too much hassle I may just replace it. :rolleyes: :ayfkm:

Hell yeah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.