:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:46 pm

Its gotten better then. I remember reading about all sorts of :rage: shit at the 50k mark with radiators, water pumps, hoses etc needing to be replaced, and suspensions needing refreshing.
It was rarely that early... most of the time it was in the high 5 figures and almost guaranteed by low 6.

Suspensions... well those are hit and miss... I swear the BMW suspensions wear out much faster than other cars...
Audi front suspensions from B5 or so through current models might be the quickest to wear out, but they are a clever faux-double-wishbone design when they're in good shape.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:42 pm

They are fine. An RX8 on summers at 40F will outstop and handle any TRUK on the best day.
Stopping requires traction, which summer tires don't have when the HIGH is 40 (meaning the ground that the tires actually contact is much colder). I bet my :truk: would stop faster in a panic than an RX8 on Summers on a day when the high is 40.

You can drive on them and not die, sure...but it's not really a pleasant experience if you drive in traffic, etc.
Having double the mass means you'd probably lose that bet even though it might be close. Ice is the real problem, though even the best all seasons don't have much grip on ice so I guess you just have to hope you don't hit too much of it in too bad of a location.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm
Stopping requires traction, which summer tires don't have when the HIGH is 40 (meaning the ground that the tires actually contact is much colder). I bet my :truk: would stop faster in a panic than an RX8 on Summers on a day when the high is 40.

You can drive on them and not die, sure...but it's not really a pleasant experience if you drive in traffic, etc.
Having double the mass means you'd probably lose that bet even though it might be close. Ice is the real problem, though even the best all seasons don't have much grip on ice so I guess you just have to hope you don't hit too much of it in too bad of a location.
My truck has offroad tires that are winter rated with some serious siping. The winter snow/ice traction is crazy. It's actually somewhat tough to get it to break traction.

But the mass thing is real. I still think it would be super close. Tires make a massive difference on any car. Especially winter tires in the cold.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:52 pm

My truck has offroad tires that are winter rated with some serious siping. The winter snow/ice traction is crazy. It's actually somewhat tough to get it to break traction.

But the mass thing is real. I still think it would be super close. Tires make a massive difference on any car. Especially winter tires in the cold.
Duratrac's are beast mode in the winter.

But doesn't matter, it's a :truk: and :truk: is the devil.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 am wow, that's clean
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc ... 96569.html
Very cool. A V8 6 speed E34, the throwing stars are a nice touch. But as JP said, all the fun has been wrung out of that thing and its just cash aflame from here on out. 237K, runs like new? Sure pal.
Really hard to believe, another way to get rid of it to some :derp: that's gonna pull his hair out.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm

Very cool. A V8 6 speed E34, the throwing stars are a nice touch. But as JP said, all the fun has been wrung out of that thing and its just cash aflame from here on out. 237K, runs like new? Sure pal.
Really hard to believe, another way to get rid of it to some :derp: that's gonna pull his hair out.
Oh it'll sell to some $15k millionaire Armenian
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Dat 1/2mv^2 :doe:

:science:
ChrisoftheNorth

Seriously. They're legit :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Traction makes no difference in this equation.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:12 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Oh it'll sell to some $15k millionaire Armenian
:lol: that would be great in LA, then he'll fuck up the clutch and have even more problems that won't be the cars fault. :sad:

Some people from my country are also like that unfortunately :sad:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 pm

Sound better than my shitty Xi3's. I should have put duratracs on the STI :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Right. But traction.....it would be an interesting test.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:20 pm
Sound better than my shitty Xi3's. I should have put duratracs on the STI :notbad:
That would be 5/7.
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:21 pm

You need a LOT more traction to make up for doubling your mass... It's highly unlikely there'd be that much difference unless you were comparing your beloved all-terrain tarz to racing slicks. Different AT tire tested here, but here's an example of some actual tests:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=210

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=204

Their test :truk: is only about 35% heavier than their test car, so the real results would likely be further apart between the two vehicles and the difference in compound would matter less on plain old cold pavement vs actual snow or ice - but it's at least a rough idea of an AT tire on a :truk: vs the cheapest of cheap all seasons on a car...

:truk: on AT tires: 79.7 ft on snow from 25 mph, 50.0 ft on ice from 12 mph, 96.55 second lap time on their snow course.

Car on the worst all season: 89.90 ft on snow, 47.80 ft on ice, 99.58 second lap.

For fun: Same car on "Perfomance Winters": 69.5 ft on snow, 32.3 ft on ice, 91.02 second lap.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=181

More fun: Same car on "Studless Winters": 66.75 ft on snow, 30.3 ft on ice, 97.73 second lap.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=193

30 ft vs 50 ft stopping distance on ice between a car on winter tires and a :truk: on AT tires... but yeah AT's are THE BEST! :truk: :truk: :truk:

Why look at objective tests though? Feelings >> :fax:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

TRUKS ARE BEST BRO THEY ARE ALSO THE MOST FUN
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

You need a LOT more traction to make up for doubling your mass... It's highly unlikely there'd be that much difference unless you were comparing your beloved all-terrain tarz to racing slicks. Different AT tire tested here, but here's an example of some actual tests:

Their test :truk: is only about 35% heavier than their test car, so the real results would likely be further apart between the two vehicles and the difference in compound would matter less on plain old cold pavement vs actual snow or ice - but it's at least a rough idea of an AT tire on a :truk: vs the cheapest of cheap all seasons on a car...

:truk: on AT tires: 79.7 ft on snow from 25 mph, 50.0 ft on ice from 12 mph, 96.55 second lap time on their snow course.

Car on the worst all season: 89.90 ft on snow, 47.80 ft on ice, 99.58 second lap.

For fun: Same car on "Perfomance Winters": 69.5 ft on snow, 32.3 ft on ice, 91.02 second lap.

More fun: Same car on "Studless Winters": 66.75 ft on snow, 30.3 ft on ice, 97.73 second lap.

30 ft vs 50 ft stopping distance on ice between a car on winter tires and a :truk: on AT tires... but yeah AT's are THE BEST! :truk: :truk: :truk:

Where are the summer tires in those tests?
ChrisoftheNorth

I don't see any tests of a car on summer tires on cold pavement and ice and snow...which was the original point of all this.

Even shitty all seasons are probably better than summers. It's all in the compound of the tire. :fax: is summer tires are physically hard in cold weather. All seasons are slightly better, winters are the best.

I can't believe I'm arguing the virtue of proper tires with you. You're just arguing to argue at this point.
troyguitar

That's the closest to an objective set of tests that I can find. What are you basing your predictions on? Share your work.

Better yet - Want to actually do the experiment with a friendly wager?
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 pm That's the closest to an objective set of tests that I can find. What are you basing your predictions on? Share your work.

Even the tests support my claim, so whatever. Other than stopping on ice, the truck on AT's stopped faster and turned a faster lap.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 pm That's the closest to an objective set of tests that I can find. What are you basing your predictions on? Share your work.

Even the tests support my claim, so whatever. Other than stopping on ice, the truck on AT's stopped faster and turned a faster lap.
None of those were on pavement and their :truk: is only 35% heavier than their car.

How is it clear at all? The difference between compounds goes down on (dry) pavement, regardless of temperature. The difference between vehicles goes up dramatically as you increase the weight difference.

Neither result is going to be "good" but you're greatly overestimating your sports :truk: as usual.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

On the sidelines watching the all seasons murder children
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm
None of those were on pavement and their :truk: is only 35% heavier than their car.

How is it clear at all? The difference between compounds goes down on (dry) pavement, regardless of temperature. The difference between vehicles goes up dramatically as you increase the weight difference.

Neither result is going to be "good" but you're greatly overestimating your sports :truk: as usual.
And you're greatly underestimating it.

:triggered:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:54 pm

On the sidelines watching the all seasons murder children
:lolgasm:
Johnny_P

FWIW all the big ass trucks I've driven have done admirably in heavy snow. Because they're so goddamn heavy. Whereas the tiny dick commuter special cars get whipped like little bitches when it snows.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I'll be driving on summerz in 20F temps in a couple of hours :triggered: :fuckyeah: