Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:13 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:11 pm
Apparently it's a big WRX just with the Ascent engine (less HP, more Torque, runs on donkey piss). I don't know why it hasn't gotten more press, I'm really curious about it.
I bet if Subaru put a :manuel: in it, then people would start to pay attention.
Oh, no doubt. That would be :mindblown:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Approximately 3 people would care about a manual Legacy. The wrx is the same size as the 2005-9 that everyone liked.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:48 am Approximately 3 people would care about a manual Legacy. The wrx is the same size as the 2005-9 that everyone liked.
Right. They can’t even sell the same car (wrx) why bother
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I see a lot of WRXs on the roads around here.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

max225 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:48 am Approximately 3 people would care about a manual Legacy. The wrx is the same size as the 2005-9 that everyone liked.
The Legacy is larger and doesn't carry the insurance penalty of the WRX.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:45 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:29 pm

Or create de facto probable cause for every LEO in America.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Y'all still have cops?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:32 pm Y'all still have cops?
More cops and more cameras. Hey are you guys seeing some kind of white pads/sensors going up on street lights?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, if you're looking for a comfy sedan to commute with consider wheelbase, the longer the better.

My Camry is super kamfy-couch status and :megusta: FE, I recommend this appliance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:39 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:58 am Used Lexus ES. Dat comfort spec
I just can't get into Lexus styling. Legit ugly IMO.
It’s not really for me either. I agree that the A5 is hot, has been for a decade. Glad to hear you’ll give the Germans a look.

Jade who used to be on Golfmk6 years ago has an S4 with like 150k miles and even that has been reliable. I think they’ve made improvements and other cars have become more complex as well, with driver assists and other tech. I think the gap is narrowed between Germans and Japanese/American and the overall bar has been raised.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: it’s a fun idea but I don’t see them actually selling. They should just paint the bumpers on the WRX and it would be a sweet car and big enough.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:48 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:45 pm

Or create de facto probable cause for every LEO in America.
Something under the radar would indeed be nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:35 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:39 am
I just can't get into Lexus styling. Legit ugly IMO.
It’s not really for me either. I agree that the A5 is hot, has been for a decade. Glad to hear you’ll give the Germans a look.

Jade who used to be on Golfmk6 years ago has an S4 with like 150k miles and even that has been reliable. I think they’ve made improvements and other cars have become more complex as well, with driver assists and other tech. I think the gap is narrowed between Germans and Japanese/American and the overall bar has been raised.
Unfortunately, I could really see the benefit of some driver assistance tech. Every time I get in the 4R for a long highway stint, I miss the Cucktrek a bit for Eyesight. It's nice to not have to focus so intensely on staying centered in the lane for hours on end, letting the car do it for you is surprisingly easier on the eyes and mind over many hours. Same thing goes for Adaptive Cruise (which I use in the 4R all the time).

But that complexity makes me really :notsure: on German cars, and many companies can't execute the tech well from my experience. It's a big plus for Subaru for me because I really liked Eyesight, but I know I'm alone on that here.

If I actually decide to do anything, it'll be fun to check out a bunch of different things. My preference really is for German cars, so will be interesting to see what's out there. Speaking of, anyone know anything about the VW Arteon? Golf R powertrain and drivetrain, large inside, hatchback, tons of features. Pricey new, but used could be :notbad: since nobody knows about them.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:53 pm Also, if you're looking for a comfy sedan to commute with consider wheelbase, the longer the better.

My Camry is super kamfy-couch status and :megusta: FE, I recommend this appliance.
Yea, I'll have to decide how much of an appliance I want. It's certainly something I'd consider for sure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:57 am
D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:35 am

Unfortunately, I could really see the benefit of some driver assistance tech. Every time I get in the 4R for a long highway stint, I miss the Cucktrek a bit for Eyesight. It's nice to not have to focus so intensely on staying centered in the lane for hours on end, letting the car do it for you is surprisingly easier on the eyes and mind over many hours. Same thing goes for Adaptive Cruise (which I use in the 4R all the time).

But that complexity makes me really :notsure: on German cars, and many companies can't execute the tech well from my experience. It's a big plus for Subaru for me because I really liked Eyesight, but I know I'm alone on that here.

If I actually decide to do anything, it'll be fun to check out a bunch of different things. My preference really is for German cars, so will be interesting to see what's out there. Speaking of, anyone know anything about the VW Arteon? Golf R powertrain and drivetrain, large inside, hatchback, tons of features. Pricey new, but used could be :notbad: since nobody knows about them.
I’ve seen a few Arteons around. No idea why they made that car but they look great IMO, plus GoRf power train :notbad:

I don’t really have a want for the driver assistance stuff but I agree that Subaru’s execution is above average after trying it in a lot of rental cars. I generally find babysitting the tech is more work than just driving though.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The Arteon is very cool and AFAIK still has physical controls for everything. It could be a good middle ground.

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I’d absolutely check out a 330i or A4/5 at this mid 30’s price. New wouldn’t make too much sense if you really pile the miles on, warranty wouldn’t last long anyway. Premium fuel though. I have no interest in cars that require premium. I dunno tough call.

I do think the new Prius could be worth looking at. Quick, 57 or whatever MPG, looks good… yet to be seen if it’s a shitbox like prior gens or not.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:18 pm

I’ve seen a few Arteons around. No idea why they made that car but they look great IMO, plus GoRf power train :notbad:

I don’t really have a want for the driver assistance stuff but I agree that Subaru’s execution is above average after trying it in a lot of rental cars. I generally find babysitting the tech is more work than just driving though.
Babysitting shit is worthless and I don't want that at all. But the Subaru could legit drive itself just like I would and I found that really nice on longer trips.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:31 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:53 am

I was going to say something similar, I’ve rented a couple of A4s, they are great cars. They look a million times better than any Legacy or WRX, better fuel efficiency, they’re fast, look great, and are just really pleasant to work with control wise and are comfy and roomy. I could say the same things about a G series BMW 330i.

Both could be had a couple of years old in the 30s and drive way better, look good, and use less fuel.

Having just gotten out of am eight years old BMW, it was a very reliable and well built car, I think the four cylinder versions of all these modern European cars are pretty low maintenance. If you’re willing to do small stuff at home like spark plugs, it’ll cost you very little in the first decade.

I have a spreadsheet with all maintenance/repairs and coats on my 328i since 2018 if you want to see it. I’ve still never once set foot in a BMW dealer in 40k miles and spent very little personal time maintaining it, the basics were easy DIY.

I think an A4 would be pretty similar, I’d try both that and a 330i.
I love German cars, always have. I've been into the A5 coupe since it came here, and that has me extremely interested. Biggest concern is reliability and maintenance since I kind of want a set it and forget it car, and it would be nice if it had some driver assistance like lane keep and adaptive cruise (the Germans kind of lag in this).

I haven't car shopped like this in ages, and there's zero rush so if I decide I want something along these lines, I'll drive a whole bunch of stuff before deciding.

Would need to be a sedan/coupe, I have an SUV that won't be going anywhere, and I just don't care for crossovers.

The Accord Sport is interesting to me ias well.
You're more than welcome to drive my 2.slow accord when you come close to my neck of the woods. It drives quite similarly to a GTI when you don't go :stig: but you can tell you're driving a bigger car, think of it as a large car that doesn't feel like a boat anchor.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

So I went to the autoshow in dc and of course they didn't display pretty much all European brands except for Volvo (atleast for ones you can get in). Last time I went (right before covid began), there was a sign where Porsche, Audi, Bmw, Mercedes weren't being showcased.

That being said, my mom and :tits: went together all 3 of us. Here are my thoughts that I may consider moving on next.

The GR Supra has been highly on my mind. I recently rented a Camaro in Florida and I didn't like the way the interior was and it feels very claustrophobic, but Supra felt like more roomier has more storage, etc, because of the sloping roof I did find myself hitting on the head. I have got in a cayman gt4 a few years back, Supra was easier to get out for my tall chubby self.
Still highly considering it because it's one of the few b58's that offer :manuel: but I also like having backseats, of course a better alternative to that would be m240i, but the new is :disgust: other than probably their purple color.

Then after getting on a lot of :truk: etc.

I first went in the Volvo s60, love the interior and the leg extender, which what I would love to have. I realized that there's apparently 2 options for engines, I know in 2019 (first year for current generation has the t6? 6 banger or 5, correct me if I'm :wrong: ). But there's also a 4 banger thats turbocharged and supercharged along with a plug in hybrid motor making 455hp. I personally think this is a car that should be leased and not long term. Looks dope. Here's their review and the only thing they did not find :impressive: is acceleration feel. :notsure:

Still my favorite

Then I went to check the TLX type-s, love what they did to the center of cockpit, but not great for a burly dude like me (I has thick thighs, long legs, shorter torso. It feels cramped for my legs, almost no movement like in a race car (not what I want for a DD), so I :nope:

Then the Lexus is300, the interior maybe ancient but glad to have physical buttons + apple car play, etc. it first gave me a same space vibe as the tlx, but I have more room for my legs to move around especially when I approach it to the pedals. Back seat space is :disappoint: let alone I got spoiled by the accord, but after all, different size classes.

As of now I'm happy with what I currently have given my driving situation (now im driving 55 miles roundtrip for work alone) + going to dc a lot, I think a wise decision is move closer first as :tits: lease will be up in September. Then I'll :plac:

I get the :plac: itch, but I also want to be responsible for now.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:53 pm Also, if you're looking for a comfy sedan to commute with consider wheelbase, the longer the better.

Yea, I'll have to decide how much of an appliance I want. It's certainly something I'd consider for sure.
It's probably a better commuting car then most listed, and you own a Toyota so you know what they are about. After driving mine for over 20k miles I'd 100% buy it again. $0.02
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:56 pm
It's probably a better commuting car then most listed, and you own a Toyota so you know what they are about. After driving mine for over 20k miles I'd 100% buy it again. $0.02
Does yours have any driver assistance like lane keep or centering? If so, do you use it? I'm really curious about that for long highway drives.
Desertbreh

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:08 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:56 pm

Does yours have any driver assistance like lane keep or centering? If so, do you use it? I'm really curious about that for long highway drives.
What are you doing whilst driving that makes these key features? Getting a beej from Infamous?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:21 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:31 am
I love German cars, always have. I've been into the A5 coupe since it came here, and that has me extremely interested. Biggest concern is reliability and maintenance since I kind of want a set it and forget it car, and it would be nice if it had some driver assistance like lane keep and adaptive cruise (the Germans kind of lag in this).

I haven't car shopped like this in ages, and there's zero rush so if I decide I want something along these lines, I'll drive a whole bunch of stuff before deciding.

Would need to be a sedan/coupe, I have an SUV that won't be going anywhere, and I just don't care for crossovers.

The Accord Sport is interesting to me ias well.
You're more than welcome to drive my 2.slow accord when you come close to my neck of the woods. It drives quite similarly to a GTI when you don't go :stig: but you can tell you're driving a bigger car, think of it as a large car that doesn't feel like a boat anchor.
Thanks dude! We'll need to :dock: when I'm out there.

When I went for my in person interview, I had to get a "compact" car for a rental. Dude told me "anything in section A" and I went out to find Nissan, Hyundai, etc nondescript small things...and a beat to shit Chevrolet Impala Premier at the end of the row. I went right for that, and my god was it nice. Rolling couch, great power, heated everything, I immediately melted into relaxation in that thing. Had 50k miles and a blown sway bar end link that clunked over bumps, but it was so relaxing to cruise in. Hilariously 5/7 for the need.

That got me thinking about the possibility of a large sedan that has hints of being sporty. I'm old, and if I want to :stig: I'll buy a car to do that. This would be a rolling couch highway bomber, but it would be nice to find something that wasn't completely giving up. Accord Sport, Legacy Sport, etc sort of things and bonus points for some lane centering tech that could ease some concentration after being behind the wheel for 8 hours.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:12 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:08 pm
What are you doing whilst driving that makes these key features? Getting a beej from Infamous?
Possibly.

Maybe it's just the fact that I'm used to trucks, but after 4 hours of driving, it gets mentally tiring constantly trying to keep the vehicle centered in the lane. The Cucktrek did it itself, and I was amazed how much more relaxed I felt after driving that thing for hours compared to the Jeeps I had. The 4R is better, but still quite a bit of attention is required as the hours pile on, it's something you don't really notice until you get to your destination. I'm talking about a vehicle that I'd be spending 8+ hours driving at a time, so any bit of help can be useful IMO.

TO be clear, I don't want nannys beeping at me. I want a solid driver assist system that handles shit for me without being annoying. Most cars don't do this right and annoy more than help, which is why I'm asking about it.